• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the "Fire-type shortage" in Diamond and Pearl--the problem wasn't that there weren't very many Fire-type Pokémon. If I counted them up right, there's the same number of Fire-types as there are Fighting-types, and I haven't seen anyone complain about a Fighting-type shortage. Plus, there's almost as many Fire-types as there are Rock-types, and more Fire-types than Electric, Ice, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel.

Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel are probably "rare types" on purpose, so if any type really has a shortage, it's Electric or Ice.

The only reason why it seemed like there were so few Fire-types in D/P is because the only ones you could find before the Elite Four were the Chimchar line and Ponyta/Rapidash.

====

EDIT: Not saying that having more Fire-types would necessarily be a bad thing (though I'm not a huge fan of the type)... just that we really don't need some huge flood of Fire-types in the 5th generation to make up for a "shortage" that isn't really there. If anything, they need to cut back on Normal and Water types and let the less common types catch up a bit, since those two types together make up more than a third of the current 493 Pokémon.

Last edited:
I think people are moreso complaining about the lack of fire types before the E4. For most people, that's a pretty good chunk of the game, and considering that Fire is a pretty good type it's frustrating only to have two fire types to occupy half the game. Platinum fixed that though.

The other thing people were complaining about in D/P is that Ponyta, the only option if you pick Turtwig or Piplup, is useless untill it evolves. At LEVEL 40 for gods sake! When I played through Pearl it didn't evolve untill I arrived at Spear Pillar!

The other thing people were complaining about in D/P is that Ponyta, the only option if you pick Turtwig or Piplup, is useless untill it evolves. At LEVEL 40 for gods sake! When I played through Pearl it didn't evolve untill I arrived at Spear Pillar!
Ponyta actually has better stats than a lot of single stage Pokemon. It is by no means useless. Evolving it just requires a little bit of level grinding. I got mine to evolve before the 5th gym.

I think people are moreso complaining about the lack of fire types before the E4. For most people, that's a pretty good chunk of the game, and considering that Fire is a pretty good type it's frustrating only to have two fire types to occupy half the game. Platinum fixed that though.
Fire is actually one of the worst types :\

According to Junichi Masuda, B/W will only feature Gen V Pokémon pre-national dex.

...GUYS

NO MORE GODDAMN ZUBATS :'D

Okay in all seriousness, I think this points towards one of two things:

There won't be a whole lot evos/prevos as otherwise the dex would be significantly small.
Or
The dex is so big that even if they remove all evos/prevos it still can stand on it's own.

I think it's because this region is meant to be so far away from the other regions, that there aren't really many similar species. Although there will be something to replace the Zubat/Magikarp/Machop/Geodude niche, and that is inevitable. And once you get the national pokedex it might feel um, cute, nostalgiac? seeing all the pre-gen 5 Pokemon again.

Aw man. I wanted to transfer over a mon I hadn't used from one of my 4th Gen games, but since it appears that they want you to have a fresh start...looks like I'm going 5th Gen only.

I kinda feel bad about looking at all of these revealed Pokemon now, since I've already started to form my team around them. Guess I'm going to start with a fresh slate, then.

koromori = zubat clone

:v

180px-Koromori.png
041Zubat.png

So, you saying it's a clone because it's a bat?

Using the same logic as you, I conclude that Dragonair is a Charizard clone because it's a dragon.
:v

Normally I'd agree with you, but considering how only new Pokemon will appear pre-Nat dex, it just seems like Koromori is a replacement scrappy. Considering it is the first BRAND NEW bat we've had(Crobat don't count, since it evolves from Golbat).

EDIT: Ninja'd by KronoGreen.

Personally, I like Zubat better. It looks more... like an actual bat.

But this is a pleasant surprise! It never really made much sense to me how regions shared Pokemon between them. It'd just... confuse me. The only one that made sense was Johto and that's because it and Kanto are the same landmass.

I'm liking the Fresh Start. Interesting.

There won't be a whole lot evos/prevos as otherwise the dex would be significantly small.
Or
The dex is so big that even if they remove all evos/prevos it still can stand on it's own.

I'm going for option #2, because it's already pretty safe to say we're getting at least one new evolved form (there's absolutely no way Mamanbo isn't a Luvdisc evolution... it'd be like making Probopass completely unrelated to Nosepass), and it'd be a bit silly to have only one Pokémon related to an older one... so there'll probably be at least a half-dozen more, between babies and evolutions.

I mean, why else would they have already revealed more than 30 new Pokémon? We never got anywhere near this many "preview" Pokémon for any of the other generations, if I remember right...

Normally I'd agree with you, but considering how only new Pokemon will appear pre-Nat dex, it just seems like Koromori is a replacement scrappy. Considering it is the first BRAND NEW bat we've had(Crobat don't count, since it evolves from Golbat).

EDIT: Ninja'd by KronoGreen.

I think it's too early to tell Koromori off as a clone, partly because of it's typing, Psychic/Flying, which kinda points it towards different territory than Zubat, and partly because it's based around a different sort of bat, namely a fruit bat.

So according to Psypokes, only Isshu-native Pokes are obtainable Pre-National Dex. Which means that this is the first time in the main line of games (RBY(FRLG)/GSC(HGSS)/RSE/DPPt) that Pokemon like Pikachu won't be available in the Regional Dex.

Folks, if this is true, then we're about to break the "600 different species of Pokemon" mark.

And, by the way, I WOULD sue, but they have MONEY, which for many normal, non-corporate people, is a hard thing to come by these days.
And besides, what would it be like to have a whole slew of Pokemon fans in a courtroom? Because so many people WOULD sue if they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom