• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Magneton/Weezing were partially laziness, no matter what excuse the in-game pokedex has for them existing. Still, I love my Magneton. <3

I also think that the Nidoran lines are a bit unusual. Yeah, there were no official genders back in the day, but still... male/female counterparts of one pokemon? That's basically what they are, with one line being slightly more offensive and the other slightly more defensive. Heck, they couldn't even make separate names for the male/female Nidoran.

Then again, I might just be biased against pokemon who are too similar on purpose. (Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise, etc...)

i'm not really sure why people hate on the two most recent pokemon generations so hard. what did I and II have that III and IV didn't? admittedly the general feel of the 251 pokes in GSC and pokemon stadium 2 were pretty cool, but that's about all gen II had going for it imho. but then hoenn had a lot of neat stuff, like the puzzle to unlock the regis, and diving, and so on. i also thought it was really cool how when generation III came out all the pokemon's design styles drastically changed, like it was a whole new beginning. and after that gen IV sort of reconciled the gap between the style of gens I-II and III which was nice. personally i'm hoping there will be another drastic shift in the gen V art style, but based solely on the designs of zorua and zoroark, that's doesn't look like it'll happen.

a lot of people say the designs in gens III and IV are "uncreative" or what have you. well, ok, it's not like the concepts of a white seal named "seel", a crab named "krabby", or a pinecone with eyes named "pineco" were the visions of geniuses. a lot of people also say that a lot of gen IV pokemon are really silly or ridiculous, like probopass. well, gen I had mr. mime, lickitung, dugtrio, exeggcute, etc. so i don't really know why everyone is talking about.

Bravo.

I still don't get why People hate the Pokemon designs. Though, personally, the newer games did fail to catch my attention for as long the older ones did.

But if they ever brought back diving, I would love Game Freak forever....

Meh, I got into the fandom late and RS were my first Pokémon games, so I feel somewhat more attached to them than any of the early games - for me the earlier games were always hampered by poor graphics (like I said, I got into the fandom with full-color GBA graphics, and then I go back to RBY/GSC?), so I always preferred the remakes. I mean, I did manage to overlook Crystal's graphics and beat Red in early 2009 (as sort of a preparation for Platinum), but I still prefer HG. But in general I tend to find RSE the most appealing games of all, both design-wise and region-wise, simply because there's so much to do. And I'm fascinated by my wild theories that RSE came out as incomplete games, much in the vein of Super Mario 64. (Not "incomplete" like "Obvious Beta", "incomplete" like "I think there's some stuff in there that hints at grander plans than what made it into the final games".)

i'm not really sure why people hate on the two most recent pokemon generations so hard. what did I and II have that III and IV didn't? admittedly the general feel of the 251 pokes in GSC and pokemon stadium 2 were pretty cool, but that's about all gen II had going for it imho. but then hoenn had a lot of neat stuff, like the puzzle to unlock the regis, and diving, and so on. i also thought it was really cool how when generation III came out all the pokemon's design styles drastically changed, like it was a whole new beginning. and after that gen IV sort of reconciled the gap between the style of gens I-II and III which was nice. personally i'm hoping there will be another drastic shift in the gen V art style, but based solely on the designs of zorua and zoroark, that's doesn't look like it'll happen.
I agree with you on the most part. The thing is, people seem to mix up "generation" with the games of that generation. I don't dislike the fourth generations, but I don't like DPPt much as the older games (note: I don't dislike the games) they just don't have the same feel as the older ones, which you touched on. HGSS had the feel again since they're remakes, so it's not the graphics or new Pokémon for me (and so not the generation itself).

Also I've said this in a few other threads but the older games had Team Rocket which makes sense in how they get their money and they were somewhat realistic, you just happen to have to beat them on your journey from insignificant townplace to become champion. The player could be anyone really. Now though, you're not just anyone, since if it weren't for you then the entire ocean/landmass/universe would have been destroyed making you one of the most important people in existence. And how the evil teams get their money to build massive headquarters or even find out exactly how and where to find the legendary Pokémon is beyond me. Legendaries used to be mysterious, but now since the evil teams track them down for you, it takes the mystery away somewhat. The legendaries were never really "God of X" before either, they were simply Pokémon from legends.

a lot of people say the designs in gens III and IV are "uncreative" or what have you. well, ok, it's not like the concepts of a white seal named "seel", a crab named "krabby", or a pinecone with eyes named "pineco" were the visions of geniuses. a lot of people also say that a lot of gen IV pokemon are really silly or ridiculous, like probopass. well, gen I had mr. mime, lickitung, dugtrio, exeggcute, etc. so i don't really know why everyone is talking about.

It's ENTIRELY a sentimental thing. I can guarantee most of the people who hate on generation IV are older Pokemon players and the ones defending it are the younger ones. I can point out two major things for you, if you'd like.

1. Generation I and II's designs might not have been the most creative, but they were fun and they "made sense". A mole Pokemon, a mime Pokemon, a dragon Pokemon. Generation III is alright, but generation IV, the majority of the Pokemon seem thrown together and poorly thought out. It's not about creativity, it's about not being moronic. Mamoswine. Lickilily. Magmortar. All Pokemon that just scream "thrown together" and "poorly thought out".
2. Legendaries. In Generation I and II, legendaries were special. Catching one was a big deal. It gave you a sense of pride. In generation III and IV, ESPECIALLY IV, legendaries are FUCKING EVERYWHERE. They have a legendary for every day of the week and then some. They're throwing legendaries at you left and right. How legendary can they be if there's 18 more?

And now I'm severely off topic. Hooray. Black and White or whatever. I probably won't buy it, because I to this day haven't completed Diamond and don't plan to, tbh.

... Dude, Magmortar and Mamoswine are freaking awesome. MAGMORTAR HAS A BAZOOKA ON ITS ARM.

Don't hate on genIV evolutions :(

On the hating of the recent generations, it's not a sentimental thing for me. It's that I think Diamond/Pearl were pretty awful. And don't say it's because I hate all new Pokemon games -- Gold/Silver used to my least favourite gen and my favourite will *always* be Ruby/Sapphire, which I love so much that it's hard to put into words.

Diamond/Pearl were so bad that I probably won't ever try to play them more than about maybe one more time, whereas I've played Ruby/Sapphire maybe over 30 times through. I just hate the way it was so obnoxiously "WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POKEMON, LITTLE EIGHT YEAR OLD, LET'S DRESS UP OUR POKEMON NOW~!" and how dumbed-down it was.

I'm probably just fixed in that mindset from when I first played, though... if I can find my Pearl version I'll probably give it one last go. But I don't understand people who hate on the third gen, imo it was the high point of the entire series. :(

I didn't like RSE. I think it's mostly an aesthetics thing; the font's atrocious (it's impressive how much damage that can do) and the overworld had altogether too much water for my tastes. I never like having to carry around pokémon with HMs. Add in that I started with treecko and hate sceptile, and that there's a breeding center but no ditto, and I had a well-formed dislike of Hoenn long before Emerald came out.

I think if I played through RSE again, I'd like it more, but I despise the font and it plays slower than FRLG or RGBYGSC. I don't know if the framerate's slower or the maps are larger or if I just have less patience for it, but....

I liked DPPt! Mostly. Cyrus is/was much more interesting than Archie or Maxie, and the Battle Zone is my favourite thing ever. Okay, not really, but the Battle Zone and Sevii Islands are so awesome <3 I love endgame areas that're large and varied and filled with high-level pokémon for me to fight. It's a pity that HGSS is a faithful remake of GSC.

Sapphire was my second Pokemon game ever, after Blue, so I immediately fell in love with the graphics and stuff. To this day, I wish I could find my copies of Sapphire and Emerald, seeing as I love both of them. DPPt are all pretty good, though I enjoy Platinum more with the PokeDex expansion. Ever since I started Platinum, I think I've only picked up Diamond once or twice. Gen II was/is my second favorite. Game-wise, probably HGSS are my favorites, but Generation wise, I think that I like III the best, mainly due to the massive amounts of nostalgia from first getting the game after Blue. I really wish I hadn't lost Emerald. :(

As for Pokemon designs, I really don't care about them. Some of the ideas for Gen IV are ridiculous (Lickilicky), some get on my nerves (Skuntank), but for the most part I generally don't care about Pokemon designs. They can look as ridiculous as possible, as long as they're usable I like them.

Also Magmortar / Mamoswine FTW.

honestly the pokemon games are all pretty much the same. some regions might be slightly better than others, but not by a large enough margin to change how much fun you can get out of the game. the font in rse was admittedly terrible but, okay, how can you possibly say a game is bad based on that.

i do agree that team rocket is far superior to teams magma/aqua/galactic, but on the subject of the legendaries thing: i think it's nice how there are a lot of legendaries in d/p/pt and hg/ss. catching legendaries is the best part of the game, so it would make sense that there would be a lot of that. i do hate the event legendaries though. part of me kind of suspects that they'll get rid of the event legendaries in gen V, which would be awesome.

Galactic = Cthulhu cultists. That is awesome as fuck.

I'm amazed at how everybody is jumping to the conclusion of DIS GAEM WILL BE SUPA MATUR AMIRITE. And if anything, white will be just as badass as black. White represents mourning and death, correct?

No light-type, please. I hate them because they're all just little angelic things. (In addition, the Acanthitards would be all "I TOLD U SO DURP", and inflating their egos would not help. At all.)

I liked Hoenn, personally. It was quite diverse, and that's generally cool.

hmmmmm i heard about this. looks suspicious
actually it's pretty cool, should be fun. i'm kinda not so much liking the 5th gen stuff though, that's just too many pokemon.

Well, Nintendo isn't going to suddenly add a whole new type to the Pokemon Series, just to go along with the title of the game being white. While there is a Dark type, I see it's good counterpart at Psychic, mainly because of the type advantages, for some reason. It's a little late in the game (so to speak) to add a new type.

Also, they will probably be just as age group focused as all the other games, for ten year olds and the like. Once again it is a little late for Nintendo to be trying to change the target audience. But you never know. They may have finally realized that almost half the fan base is still playing for nostalgias sake and might have represented that in the names of the new games, putting western moral connotations with the colors.

I didn't like RSE. I think it's mostly an aesthetics thing; the font's atrocious (it's impressive how much damage that can do) and the overworld had altogether too much water for my tastes. I never like having to carry around pokémon with HMs. Add in that I started with treecko and hate sceptile, and that there's a breeding center but no ditto, and I had a well-formed dislike of Hoenn long before Emerald came out.

I think if I played through RSE again, I'd like it more, but I despise the font and it plays slower than FRLG or RGBYGSC. I don't know if the framerate's slower or the maps are larger or if I just have less patience for it, but....

I liked DPPt! Mostly. Cyrus is/was much more interesting than Archie or Maxie, and the Battle Zone is my favourite thing ever. Okay, not really, but the Battle Zone and Sevii Islands are so awesome <3 I love endgame areas that're large and varied and filled with high-level pokémon for me to fight. It's a pity that HGSS is a faithful remake of GSC.

Bullshit. Hoenn is the second best! (I'm a Johto fanboy, as you can see from the Blackthorniness in my name. Johto kicks ass.) AND CYRUS IS THE WORST!~ And Archie is the best... considering my name was Archie for a while...

'Long as they don't overdo it on prevos and evos, I'm fine. But why insult Magmortar? To quote another Magmortar fan, "BAZOOKA"! Don't mess with walking lava with two loaded cannons attatched to it's body. Ever.

The font in R/S was beyond horrible. It's the main reason why I hardly ever played the two. I was really excited about the games, even to the point of pre-ordering them and getting the fancy coins, but overall... I wasn't really impressed. I mean, some features were nice and all... but that's it. And having to see the horrid font nearly everywhere really didn't help. And that font is why I never completed the games. I mean, I beat the E4 in Ruby, but I never beat it in Sapphire, never even got that far. And once I beat the E4... I never really touched it again except for a couple of random times when I was really bored.

But when Emerald came out... I was extremely happy. The font issue was fixed, and so it actually made me want to play the game. I've beaten the E4 in Emerald a couple of times, and done more than just the E4, even making a weak team theme that I still need to finish. :| But in general, Hoenn really is my least favorite region for way too many reasons.

So I'm really hoping that B&W will impress me. I'll still get the games knowing me, but I want to be impressed to some degree. I want to see how various parts of the game will work and I want to enjoy seeing how everything works. That's something R/S failed on, but Emerald didn't.

I know. I'm probably confusing. :|

I never liked RSE that much myself but I restarted Sapphire recently and had a blast. Can't see what I disliked about it so much the first time any more. Maybe I just wasn't too welcoming to the Pokémon they introduced which I'm used to now, back then I probably still judged the game on the Pokémon in it. The font never bothered me that much, but then again I only really noticed that after Emerald came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom