• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys grow on me. They are totally awesome. I wonder what their skills are.

I was also thinking, what if they do turn out to be Dark and Light types? Like, literally? Zekrom would be of a new type, namely be the Dark type. It would make the translators tear their hair off when they have to change the current Dark type to Evil. And then Reshiram is Light. I know we don't particularly need Light or Darkness types. But still, it'd be schweet!

Hey, Butterfree, get to writing in the Cave of Speculative Theories! We miss your comments!

These guys grow on me. They are totally awesome. I wonder what their skills are.

I was also thinking, what if they do turn out to be Dark and Light types? Like, literally? Zekrom would be of a new type, namely be the Dark type. It would make the translators tear their hair off when they have to change the current Dark type to Evil. And then Reshiram is Light. I know we don't particularly need Light or Darkness types. But still, it'd be schweet!

Hey, Butterfree, get to writing in the Cave of Speculative Theories! We miss your comments!

I've missed a lot, so I have no idea what a Reshiram is. But there will never be a Light type. Dark types are more dirty fighters then evil, and that's why they are beaten by the honorable Fighting type.

*looks up Reshiram* Oh how pretty.

Honestly, to all the people that say Pokabu looks plain and doesn't look like a fire-type except for the color... there are a few other Pokemon like that as well. Maybe not the best examples, but honestly to me they don't really look like their types as well, or only halfway (or partially) does.

Mareep or Flaaffy (and kinda sorta Ampharos) sure as hell don't look like Electric types to me. Yeah, Mareep is YELLOW (with blue), and about the only sign that says anything relating to that type, except with the exception of the orbtail, but guess what? Espeon and Persian also have little orby gems on their bodies that glow. Are you gonna call them a Thunder type based on that? Sure, you can bring up the whole static electricity thing with the wool, but honestly, does it look like a Electric type at first glance? It didn't to me!

But then Mareep turns into this pink sheep that resembles a naked mole rat bred with a poodle that no longer looks like it has a connection to that type at all (minus the orbtail again). The Gastly line don't really look like Ghosts to me (Haunter might be the only real exception to this, I don't know!), they more match their poison type aspect. But they are Ghosts because of what they can do.

Tyranitar does not look like a half-Dark type at all except for a few black stripes. But it is... somehow. And then we have Mawile... how the hell does it look like a pure Steel type?

There might be 1 or 2 or 5 more Pokemon that fit into this mess, but honestly, don't complain about how Pokabu doesn't look like a fire type when there are a couple others that suffered the same thing.

In other news, I really like the legendaries and my thoughts about the games having this yin yang feel was right (FINALLY!). \o/

Last edited:
Oh please don't start with the Light-type debate again. T_T

Well, the legendaries are confirmed as dragons, though I'm sure that comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody. I'm still disappointed, though. They better have good secondary types or something really epic about them besides their looks. Given a second glance, I think I'd lean towards Black, on looks alone. Still far too early to make the call, though. (Edit: Pure dragon would actually satisfy me, since we only have Dratini, Dragonair, Bagon and Shelgon, none of them being legendary.)

I agree with Elliekat, I hope whatever trio they introduce in these games are more creative than Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie. I mean yeah, the whole "beings of emotion" and whatever... that would have been cool if they actually did something with that idea to make each one unique. Changing their stats and colors and "just saying" what each one represents is not good enough.

Also, the image that MidnightSaboteur posted back on page 26 of the starters actually made me feel bad for the poor water-otter thing. I suppose its grown on me already. Still my least favorite of the three, but I can't say I hate it anymore.

I've missed a lot, so I have no idea what a Reshiram is. But there will never be a Light type. Dark types are more dirty fighters then evil, and that's why they are beaten by the honorable Fighting type.

*looks up Reshiram* Oh how pretty.

That's not what I said. I said that TWO new types would be made: Light and Darkness. Since Dark type is Evil type in Japan, translators would have to change the English name to something similar. So the current Dark type would be put aside and become more of a true opposite to Fighting, while these new photon-related types would be introduced.

Of course, I don't really believe this will happen, but hey.

And now with these hotties being considered Dragon type... T_T I mean, we ALREADY HAD DRAGON TYPE BOX LEGENDS.

Honestly, to all the people that say Pokabu looks plain and doesn't look like a fire-type except for the color... there are a few other Pokemon like that as well. Maybe not the best examples, but honestly to me they don't really look like their types as well, or only halfway (or partially) does.

Mareep or Flaaffy (and kinda sorta Ampharos) sure as hell don't look like Thunder types to me. Yeah, Mareep is YELLOW (with blue), and about the only sign that says anything relating to that type, except with the exception of the orbtail, but guess what? Espeon and Persian also have little orby gems on their bodies that glow. Are you gonna call them a Thunder type based on that? Sure, you can bring up the whole static electricity thing with the wool, but honestly, does it look like a Thunder type at first glance? It didn't to me!

But then Mareep turns into this pink sheep that resembles a naked mole rat bred with a poodle that no longer looks like it has a connection to that type at all (minus the orbtail again). The Gastly line don't really look like Ghosts to me (Haunter might be the only real exception to this, I don't know!), they more match their poison type aspect. But they are Ghosts because of what they can do.

Tyranitar does not look like a half-Dark type at all except for a few black stripes. But it is... somehow. And then we have Mawile... how the hell does it look like a pure Steel type?

There might be 1 or 2 or 5 more Pokemon that fit into this mess, but honestly, don't complain about how Pokabu doesn't look like a fire type when there are a couple others that suffered the same thing.

In other news, I really like the legendaries and my thoughts about the games having this yin yang feel was right (FINALLY!). \o/

Mareep and its evolutions are based more on the concept of wool conducting static electricity then anything else. (Also, it's the Electric type, not the Thunder type.)

In comparison to Drifloon or Giratina, Gastly looks very ghostlike.

Tyranitar is generally associated with violence, rage, and destruction; pretty Dark-type if you ask me.

Mawile is made out of steel, I guess...? tbh I always thought it was part Dark but whatever.

ANYWAY Both legends look cool, although I'm afraid we're going to have yet another RSE-type plot. In Black, you fight the horrible Team Yin who want to use Reshiram to TAKE OVER THE WORLD, but in White, you fight Team Yang who want to use Zekrom to take over the world! INCREDIBLE DIVERGENT STORYLINE, AMIRITE????

Mareep and its evolutions are based more on the concept of wool conducting static electricity then anything else. (Also, it's the Electric type, not the Thunder type.)

In comparison to Drifloon or Giratina, Gastly looks very ghostlike.

Tyranitar is generally associated with violence, rage, and destruction; pretty Dark-type if you ask me.

Mawile is made out of steel, I guess...? tbh I always thought it was part Dark but whatever.

ANYWAY Both legends look cool, although I'm afraid we're going to have yet another RSE-type plot. In Black, you fight the horrible Team Yin who want to use Reshiram to TAKE OVER THE WORLD, but in White, you fight Team Yang who want to use Zekrom to take over the world! INCREDIBLE DIVERGENT STORYLINE, AMIRITE????

I'm tired, go away. :(

But I'm talking about looks. People are complaining about how Pokabu doesn't look like a fire type except color (that is the same thing I was trying to get across with Mareep's line and all the others I listed. Remember, I'm talking about looks, not why they are that way. They don't look like their types). There are plenty of other Pokemon that fit into that same kind of category, yet I never really seen anyone complain about them.

Mawile doesn't look like a steel type. Pokabu doesn't look like a Fire type. But why complain about Pokabu?

99236134.png

Zekrom anyone? :D

Because it's a fire-type starter, obviously. You'll be seeing Pokabu a lot (although Derpderp will probably become the new "AAAAAW ISN'T IT CUTE ISN'T IT ISN'T IT" Pokemon that you'll see everywhere), whether it's in the anime or the merchandise or whatever, and it's probably going to be one of the most rememberable mons of the generation.

Mawile, on the other hand... who cares? It's not like Mawile is anything special, really. You won't be seeing it everywhere.

Because it's a fire-type starter, obviously. You'll be seeing Pokabu a lot (although Derpderp will probably become the new "AAAAAW ISN'T IT CUTE ISN'T IT ISN'T IT" Pokemon that you'll see everywhere), whether it's in the anime or the merchandise or whatever, and it's probably going to be one of the most rememberable mons of the generation.

Mawile, on the other hand... who cares? It's not like Mawile is anything special, really. You won't be seeing it everywhere.

It... doesn't matter if it's a starter or not. That doesn't remove the fact that people are complaining about how it doesn't look like it's type.

Duh, it's a fire type. Duh, Mawile is a steel type. Duh, Mareep's line are Electric types. It changes nothing on the fact that people are complaining about one Pokemon not looking like it's type despite the fact that it's obvious in one way or another that it is that type but not complaining about any other Pokemon because of the same kind of story. Some Pokemon are not gonna look like their type until they start evolving. Kinda like how some baby animals look more like their adult counterparts when they get older. So why complain about one little Pokemon when we don't even know its whole line yet?

i don't know why someone has to turn it into a debate when i was just pointing out one little thing. ~_~

I'm saying that people are going to complain about Pokabu more because of it's status as a starter. Also, it's a member of the Horrible Fifth Generation That Ruined Pokemon FOREVER(tm), so it's going to get lots of hate.

Yeah, but Torchic is another Fire type starter that is kinda in the same boat as Pokabu. There is nothing to signify at first glance that it's a fire type except the color (and name).

Pokabu needs some love too. :(

Sorta. But considering how 1st, 2nd, and 4th gens had fire starters that actually had flames, they're the only 2 that look the least fiery. But like I said, we still don't know what the evos are gonna be... it could evolve into a boar with a fiery mane or something. Infact, it could end up looking more like a fire type line than Torchic's.

Either way, I know I'm gonna get both games when they come out that's for sure. I'm impressed so far, it'll just take getting used to the new Pokemon... Since every generation after the first, they sometimes didn't really feel like part of the Pokemon universe until you actually played the games or something. At least for me...

tell me how treeko looks grass-type, or how mudkip and piplup look water-type. they've been doing it for generations. complaint? what complaint?

There is nothing to signify at first glance that it's a fire type except the color (and name).

Pokabu's English name hasn't even been revealed yet. Who knows, it might turn out to be FIREPIG (or something else that's hopefully not as stupid, but you get the idea)

I actually really like the fact that Pokabu has sort of a more subdued color scheme than some of the older fire starers. It does look a bit like it could be a ground type when you see it on its own, but you can still very clearly tell that it is a fire type given the knowledge that it is a starter. I don't see what the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom