• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luvdisc evolution woohoo. There is absolutely no way that it isn't related to Luvdisc. While the idea of a pink fish Pokemon isn't absurd, a pink fish Pokemon shaped like a heart screams Luvdisc. Watch it be an uber Pokemon. :P

RespectTheBlade said:
the name really says it all: Pidgey, Pidgeon. also, does a starly not look something like a pigeon?
In THAT case I guess that Spearow is based upon a Spear, Weedle is based upon a Weed, and Mr. Mime is based on Mr. T.

"Anatomically Pidgey does not resemble pigeons as much as it does finches or sparrows" - Bulbapedia

Just because a Pokemon's name says its something doesn't mean that it is. It's probably called Pidgey because that is a name that came to mind at the time, considering there were no actual Pidgeon Pokemon.

Kratos Aurion said:
but I think it'd be sort of nice if we could get a generation where absolutely nothing was related to anything else. Completely new and fresh and all that, blah blah.
I don't think it will be that bad this generation. Out of the 31 currently revealed Pokemon, only 1 is potentially related to a prior Pokemon. At this point with revealed Pokemon in Gen. IV, we already had 8 Pokemon revealed to be related to prior Pokemon, and people were still wondering if Drapion was related to Gligar and if Kricketot was related to Volbeat or Illumise.

Just because a Pokemon's name says its something doesn't mean that it is. It's probably called Pidgey because that is a name that came to mind at the time, considering there were no actual Pidgeon Pokemon.

Pidgeot's Japanese name is Pidgeot, and Pidgeotto's is...Pigeon...which they changed for obvious reasons.Pidgey's Japanese name is Poppo and thus they probably just made up something similar to the other two.

It's incredibly obvious that the line has nothing to do with pigeons themselves. I think Tajiri just picked a random bird or something.

I didn't say the number of evolutions in DP was "bad", for the record. I'd still want to see something completely fresh even if Gen IV had been like Gen III and introduced only two cross-gen relatives.

Out of the 31 currently revealed Pokemon, only 1 is potentially related to a prior Pokemon.

Only one? The new heartfish does look like it's almost definitely a Luvdisc evolution, but the rocky thing in the middle looks quite a bit like part of the Nosepass family to me...

Especially in the new screenshot with the heart-fish. It has a giant pointy orangey-red nose on a blue rock-like body. The only difference is that its ears (I refuse to accept that Nosepass's ears are arms; they look horrible in "arm mode" and it'd be much better if they were never arms to begin with) have apparently transformed into giant rocky legs... with orangey-red noses on them, like Probopass's mini-nose things. Doesn't seem to have Probopass's hat or mustache though (or its size, for that matter), so... maybe it's an alternate evolution to Nosepass?

If Gigaiasu really is another Nosepass evolution, hopefully there's going to be an alternate Lickitung evolution too... I've wanted a Lickitung evolution since the Red and Blue days, but Lickilicky is horrible.

I do hope that Gigasu is a Nosepass line; it would make me actually like them. Though Probopass is hilarious, Nosepass is blegh. It could also make sense, seeing as one of the earlier screenshots was of the male trainer in a cave with some sort of energy rocks (magnetism? *shrugs*). If it is on it's own line and it's just an extreme coincidence, that's cool too.

I also hope that Luvtwo is really powerful, just for the lulz. To me it almost has a weird cupid's arrow thing going on (the two fins/wings are the bow part) but maybe I'm stretching it.

I am also going to combine some theories; N is essentially just a Cyrus/Silver mix who uses the power of Zekrom/Reshiram to make Black City/White Fortress for Pokemon/People only. This separates the trainer from their own Pokemon, and results in Reshiram/Zekrom going mad/starting to die. So your Pokemon come back to you proving N wrong, and you have to battle Zekrom/Reshiram to restore balance.

To me, Gigaiasu looks absolutely nothig like Nosepass or Probopass, but for being made of rocks. And besides, it's colored rocks look red to me, not even remotely orange. Like even more dark red than parts of Probopass. The blue isn't even that close to their color. And would they really make another Nosepass? I don't remember any other pokemon having evolutionary relatives in more than two generations, except Eevee, though it has seven.
However, I'll die if Mamanbo isn't a Luvdisc evolution.

Considering Luvdisc has the base stat total of Finneon, my bet is Mamanbo is only going to have the BST of Lumineon or Seaking (i.e., mid 400s). Thus, it will be this generation's generic weak fish Pokemon (albeit with ungodly speed) that will be eternally trapped in NU.

But I really want Gigaiasu. He'll be an awesome tank/wall/something.

Gigaiasu =/= Nosepass evo.

there's also that anime episode where there are carrier pidgeys (pidgeons).

but honestly who even cares? there are a whole bunch of fish pokemon and nobody cares or complains about that. there are three different lines of domestic cat pokemon.

In THAT case I guess that Spearow is based upon a Spear, Weedle is based upon a Weed, and Mr. Mime is based on Mr. T.

Weedle: Worm & Needle (refers to the horn on its head, its names in other languages also reference that)
Spearow: corruption of Sparrow
... and honestly Mr. Mime is self-explanatory, it's based on a mime

I guess deriving pidgey from pigeon is kind of dumb, yeah, but you can't ignore that many pokemon's names are derived from what they're meant to represent in some way.

There are going to be a lot of new evolutions if today's Pokebeach article is to be trusted.

* #637 - Ice / Fighting
* #638 - Fire / Dark
* #639 - Ground / Bug
* #640 - Poison / Dragon
* #641 - Steel
* #642 - Water
* #643 - Fire
* #644 - Dragon / Ice
* #645 - Normal / Ghost
* #646 - Dragon
* #647 - Dark / Psychic

I seriously doubt we'd have so many single stage Pokemon together... chances are, we're getting evolutions for some old Pokemon. Houndoom? Nincada? Maybe a couple new ones (Dragon and Dark/Psychic don't match with anything else, so they might be new mons), but probably some new ones.

Then where's the Chuck Norris Pokemon?

Hopefully we'll get the Psychic/Dark, Normal/Ghost, and Dragon/Ice types. I'm just curious to see how those will work out. And they're pairing Dragon with some new types too. :D

Thank you, Flora m'dear, for saying what I failed to, erm, say.

I do rather like the idea of a Dragon/Ice type. Ice needs some more love. And the Normal/Ghost depresses me greatly. I thought that I was being original when I came up with that combination ;-;*

*Just in case anybody's about to get all RARGH with me and tell me that no I wasn't original and that that has been done countless times before in Fakedexes - I know, I was joking, hence the strikethrough~

Then where's the Chuck Norris Pokemon?

Well, there's a Fighting-type Gym Leader named Chuck...

* #637 - Ice / Fighting
* #638 - Fire / Dark
* #639 - Ground / Bug
* #640 - Poison / Dragon
* #641 - Steel
* #642 - Water
* #643 - Fire
* #644 - Dragon / Ice
* #645 - Normal / Ghost
* #646 - Dragon
* #647 - Dark / Psychic

Hmm... all the way to #647? So we're getting over 150 new Pokémon if this is accurate, and we'll probably get to see #666 in this generation if the legendaries haven't even started by #647.

The Ground/Bug is probably new, as pretty much every other Bug-type in the universe (including the only other Bug/Ground combination) has Bug as its first type. The only ones that don't are fossils (which always have Rock as type 1) and Skorupi (which randomly drops its Bug-type on evolution.) I can't think of any reason why a Bug-type would have Bug as its second type instead of its first type, though, so that looks a bit suspicious. Maybe they're evolving an old Ground-type into something that's part Bug? Or they're making an anthill Pokémon where the "main" creature is the anthill rather than the ants themselves. That'd be kinda neat, actually.

It's not entirely impossible that they'd have a bunch of non-evolving Pokémon in a row and that only a few of these are evolutions of old ones, though. The first 151 had huge chunks of non-evolvers all in the same general area of the Pokédex (three in a row starting at #113, then seven more starting from #122, then two more at #131 and Porygon at #137.)

Maybe they're trying to set up a new batch of non-evolvers for future babies/evolutions rather than giving babies/evolutions to every old Pokémon that doesn't have one yet?

EDIT:
A new Play-Doh toy set will be released on October 30th in Japan in commemoration of Black and White; the product features pieces of Pokemon Play-Doh that you assemble to make several Pokemon, including Pikachu, Zorua, Tsutaaja, Pokabu, Mijumaru, and Mamepato. However, its product listing also mentions two unknown Pokemon: Onokkusu (オノックス) and Burokko (ブロッコ).

Who wants to bet that "Burokko" (which is basically "Brocco" in Japanese...) is the green broccoli-looking thing we saw earlier?

Last edited:
Probably not, since Gold and Silver came out a while before the "Chuck Norris Facts" and his insane Internet fanbase really started (I know I don't remember hearing anyone telling those Chuck Norris jokes until 2003-2004, and Gold and Silver came out in... what, 1999? 2000?)

And I don't think they started making references to horrible Internet memes in the games until D/P/P... though there might be something in R/S/E or FR/LG that I'm forgetting.

Of course, it's possible that it is a reference to Chuck Norris even though it can't possibly be a reference to his Internet fame, since he was somewhat well known even before that (between Walker: Texas Ranger and the movies he's been in.)

The houndour line is dark/fire, not fire/dark.

That said, though, there's no guarantee that the actual types of the pokémon are in the correct order--they could've just been listed off in whatever order the poster happened to remember. Rhydon is technically ground/rock, but I've referred to it as rock/ground every once in a while off the top of my head and in some discussions the order of the types makes little difference. A general statement of "these two types will be combined" would be one of the times order accuracy isn't necessary; after all, iirc, ever since GS the order of the types has meant absolutely nothing mechanics-wise.

There are going to be a lot of new evolutions if today's Pokebeach article is to be trusted. ...

Can I have a link to this? I can't find this huge list of numbers/types on their front page or their forums. Where else do Pokebeach keep their articles? :I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom