• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blasphemy Bill in the Republic of Ireland

Hey now, wait a second, don't generalise. I doubt most Irish people knew this bill existed, let alone approve of it. Bills go through here when less than 20% of the population want them to go through. The government has too much power here in my opinion.

It seems that mass blasphemes are incoming. Personally, a friend of mine and I are going to go stand outside Leinster House (seat of government) carrying signs plastered in blasphemy.

As someone who aspires to be a human rights lawyer, my heart bleeds for Ireland right now.

Hey Ireland, wrong time period. Try 200 years ago and then we'll talk.

EDIT: Watch the wackos here in the Sates try to pass a similar bill, completely ignoring the First Amendment as usual.

The government says it is needed because the republic's 1937 constitution only gives Christians legal protection of their beliefs.

What.

I can't believe I've never heard about this kind of thing in Ireland before.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; I'm sure they'll all come to their senses as soon as they realize the church is just as blasphemous as the rest of us.

Well, the blasphemy bill is supposed to give legal protection to all religious beliefs. But only religious ones. My beliefs are perfectly okay to rip on.

What really grinds my gears is that the bill came into effect about two weeks after the McCarthy Report into clerical child abuse was released. They actually brought in a blasphemy bill after the release of a report about 70 years of child abuse, sexual or otherwise, by the Catholic Church.

Hey Ireland, wrong time period. Try 200 years ago and then we'll talk.

EDIT: Watch the wackos here in the Sates try to pass a similar bill, completely ignoring the First Amendment as usual.

Speaking of the Gov. not following amendments, aren't I allowed the "Right to bear arms?" Yet, I see people getting pulled over and arrested because they have a gun on the dashboard. Also, that is ridiculous! That much for Blasphemy?!

One thing, uber, that's off topic. For another, it's right to bear arms in order to raise a militia, not right to bear semi-automatics in case of OMG robbers.

Well, this pretty much means I can never set foot in Ireland...

All I can say is "wow." Good job, God Squad. That's some real holy work your doing there...

hey guys

you could just have common decency if you feel your right to curse has been infringed

This, ladies and gentlemannes, is your "democracy" at work. I look forward to the day when the Irish's right to speak is prohibited due to "shockwaves of sound being unwillingly and forcefully projected into a bystander's ear canal."

One thing, uber, that's off topic. For another, it's right to bear arms in order to raise a militia, not right to bear semi-automatics in case of OMG robbers.

...and weapons are needed to raise a state or local militia. What, are we going to wait until 1984 to realize that we need more than pickets to defend our basic rights?

if nobody had weapons you wouldn't need to defend yourself against them and you could resources on something useful like food or education or anything but weapons

Back
Top Bottom