• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blastoise vs. Mai

RespectTheBlade

rage against the dying of the light
3 v 3
Damage Cap: 35%
DQ: 10 days
Style: Set
Banned Moves: OHKOs, self-targeting statboosts besides dancing or singing moves, Perish Song

Arena: The Sounding Room

In one of the many ASB-funded research facilities across the region, a humongous room lies on the fourth floor. Colloquially called 'The Sounding Room' by the scientists, the large space is capable of changing from an echo chamber to an anechoic one in amatter of seconds. These features, along with a number of others not worth mentioning in this passage, make it the perfect testing area for sound-based attacks and for sound experiments in general.

The room has been sectioned off for the purposes of the battle, leaving a perfect cube about thirty feet square. The walls, floor, and ceiling look rather strange, in order to act as the anechoic chamber that it currently is. A large, water-shock-fire-bluntforce-proof sound system has been provided, flush with the ceiling.

Every alternating round, in lieu of an action, a trainer may instead select a song that the music system will play. The referee then listens to the song and chooses what effect it will have. The trainer may not specify what effect they wish the music to have, or upon whom, although the music cannot have a purely negative effect on their pokémon or a purely positive one on the opponent's. The music may positively or negatively affect one pokémon or neutrally affect both.

Additionally, all normal pokémon attacks that have a vocal or aural component have their effectiveness doubled somehow, at the referee's discretion. Dance moves are similarly effected. Energy moves fired at the walls are absorbed by the oddly-shaped tiles.

Additional Notes: The first choice of pokémon is done over PM to the ref, instead of announced on the battle's page. Afterwards battle choice proceeds as normal.

Foamy's Active Squad:

Shedinja
[Huskington] [X]
Wonder Guard

chansey
[Codegrah] [F]
Serene Grace
Signature Attribute: Levitation

slowking
[Hippocampus] [M]
Own Tempo

blastoisereq3145084353-iaza.gif

[Koutus] Manectric [F]
Static
Signature Attribute: Wings

growlithe
[Pinwheel] [M]
Flash Fire
Held: Fire Stone

Ralts
[King's English] [M]
Synchronize
Held: Dawn Stone
Signature Attribute: Automail Right Arm

snorunt
[Pawawawow] [F]
Ice Body
Held: Dawn Stone

feebas
[Phoebe] [F]
Swift Swim
Held: NeverMeltIce
Signature Attribute: Hails from the Frigid Northlands

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
Torrent

Murkrow
[The Bard] [M]
Super Luck

Mai's Active Squad

ralts
[Rallie] [F]
Ability: Trace

Cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
Ability: Blaze

sableye
[Dia] [M]
Ability: Stall

-Foamy and Mai PM me their choice of Pokemon
-I post their choice of pokemon
-Mai attacks
-Foamy attacks
-I cross my fingers and hope my first reffing goes well

(Foamy, just to make sure, you planned for each person to post their attacks, correct? or did you want each person to PM their attacks too?)

Last edited:
Re: Foamy vs. Mai

Attacks are posted here, yes.

EDIT: Oh, and for clarification, the one allowed to play a song during a round is the one who attacks first, to counterbalance the disadvantage of attacking first.

Last edited:

Alright, after some clarification, I realized that I'm supposed to post the choice of each pokemon here.

Foamy sends out:

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
Torrent

Mai sends out:

Cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
Ability: Blaze

Mai, you are now free to post your commands.

To hopefully stop those nasty super effective moves, why don't you use sunny day, Cyndy? And after that, use captivate. On the third action, if he countered sunny day with a rain dance, use it again, and if the sun is still shining use solarbeam. If he protects or detects, use substitute.

Sunny day-Captivate-Sunny day/Solarbeam/Substitute

Oh no, not a really bright sun that's outside when we're inside of this room. :O

Let's begin with a nice Water Spout while you're nice and strong. Use Rollout for a single action to ignore the Captivate and to hopefully hurt the firerat. End with the awesomely-sound-based Water Pulse. If Sunny Day does work for some reason, just use Rain Dance.

Water Spout/Rain Dance ~ Rollout ~ Water Pulse/Rain Dance

Foamy vs. Mai

Deep in the industrial complex of the Asber region, a gleaming white building stands taller than all the others. It is here where Foamy requested a challenger and a ref to meet for a battle. The ASB league-funded building is an attacks research facility, specializing in the testing of special moves and their effects. Blade, the ref, leads Foamy and Mai into the building. All three of them board an elevator, which lifts them up to the fourth floor. A perfectly cubical room with peculiar walls, ceiling and floor awaits them. A sign outside the door simply says, “The Sounding Room”. Blade consults with a scientist about the indestructibility of the room while Mai and Foamy walk inside. After being assured that nothing short of a Spatial Rend will destroy the building, Blade walks inside and shuts the door. The Ref lifts a flag, and signals for the two to send out a Pokemon. Two Pokeballs fly through the air. One releases a Squirtle, while the other lets loose a Cyndaquil. With both Pokemon out, Blade lifts another flag to signal for the battle to begin.

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Round One Begin!

At first, Cyndy is puzzled by her trainer's commands. <We're indoors. There's no sun here.>, she thinks. Nonetheless, Cyndy faithfully carries out her trainers commands. She uses her power over fire to bring the sun out from the cloudy weather outside. Outside of the building, the sun grows increasingly hot, so much so that a few eggs fry on sidewalks. However, it has no effect on the air-conditioned Sounding Room. Blaise looks at Cyndy in confusion, wondering when she'll make her move. After a few minutes he gives up waiting and decides to attack. Blaise generates a huge volume of water inside of his body, opens his mouth, and shoots it up into the ceiling of the room. The participants and the ref get showered by some of the water, but the poor little fire type bears the brunt of the attack. A huge volume of water rushes over her, nearly putting out the flames on her back.

Cyndy recovers quite slowly. She flares up her flames to dry herself off, and then looks at the squirtle with a look of absolute hurt on her face. Blaise starts to feel a huge amount of sympathy for her. <How could I hurt her? That was cruel, and besides, who would want to hurt such a beautiful girl?> He continues to stare at Cyndy, not knowing he is being decieved by Captivate. However, after a few minutes of near drool-inducing staring, Blaise mentally slaps himself out of his state.<Well, Master's commands come first, and as much as I hate to do it...> Blaise curls up into a ball and rolls at Cyndy with tremendous speed, looking a lot like a rolling boulder. He strikes Cyndy and knocks her back a few inches, and then rolls back to his side of the field.

After being hit with by the speeding squirtle, Cyndy gets up and looks at him with increasing hatred. <I'm going to enjoy this.>, she thinks. Cyndy sits down and begins taking in energy from all of the possible light in the room. As the solar energy continues to charge in her body, Blaise takes the oppurtunity to attack. Inside his body, he wraps water around an ultrasonic wave and shoots it out of his mouth. The improved acoustics of the sounding room increase the power of the pulsation, and the attack hit Cyndy hard. However, Cyndy is ready for revenge. The light energy she has been gathering reaches the bursting point, and she fires it off in one large collective beam. The huge light beam nearly blinds the refferee and two combatants, and blasts the Squirtle backwards a couple of feet. Blaise stands up and looks back at the little rodent, wondering why he ever felt sorry for her.

End Round One!

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 84%
Energy: 80%
Status: "Ow". Dazed from the blinding light of the SolarBeam. -2 sp. atk

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Health: 65% (capped)
Energy: 87%

Arena Notes:
The whole room looks as if it has been flooded and then drained.

Refferee's Notes
- after consulting with the ASB guide and my common sense, I decided that weather moves would not effect a room on the inside of the fourth floor of a building. For future refference, Foamy, you should note that in the banned moves section of your challenge.
- I decided that any sound-based moves would have 1.5x base power, as if Blaze/Torrent/Swarm/etc had been activated. So, Water Pulse's base power was upped to 90, but it cost extra energy to perform it.
- After modifiers and type weaknesses had been applied, the combined damage of Blaise's attacks totaled 40%, so it was capped.
-Cyndy moved last on the last action because of the charging process for solarbeam and the absence of sunlight.

Next Round
-Foamy Attacks
-Mai Attacks
-I ref​

Last edited:

Well, people are free to use weather moves, so they're not banned. They just don't work. :3

Lessee... Start off with the song 'To the Sky' by Owl City. Then Curse followed by another Water Pulse.

~ Curse ~ Water Pulse

Okay then. Let's start off with attract, because I have no idea what the song will do (though I have a sinking feeling of what it might be). I'm not that much of an actual music person (foreign language stuff is fun!). After that, solar beam again, to at least try to do something damaging. And on the third turn, let's see if luck is on our side with protect.

Attract~Solar beam~Protect

Round 2

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 84%
Energy: 80%
Status: "Ow". Dazed from the blinding light of the SolarBeam. -2 sp. atk

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Health: 65% (capped)
Energy: 87%

Arena Notes:

Round 2 Begin!

Before asking Blaise to attack, Foamy whips something out of his pocket. It glints in his hand as if it were some mythical weapon. In truth, it's an Ipod. Foamy hands it to the ref, and instructs him to play a song. Moments later, the song is bursting from the speakers of the room, which has the best surround sound in existence. The song has an upbeat melody, and is reminiscent of flight. And owls, for some reason. The hapiness of the song seems to have an effect on the pokemon as well; both are glowing a faint green aura. Mai, however, decides not to waste time with music and attack immediately. Cyndy stares at Blaise, trying to make herself look as appealing as possible. And Blaise, caught up in the music and being hit quite off guard by the Attract, seems to be falling for it. He starts to stare at Cyndy with lovesick eyes, much to the amusement of Mai and the annoyance of Foamy.

Quickly deciding to recover, Foamy orders his commands. Blaise decides they sound like a great idea. <Perfect! I can impress her with my knowledge of the dark arts.> Across the field, Cyndy sits down and appears to be concentrating while looking at Blaise. Blaise starts performing an ancient and cursed ritual, involving a Subway sandwhich and a pair of sunglasses. The end result is a stronger, but slower, Blaise. He stares at Cyndy, waiting for a reply. What he gets is a concentrated bundle of pure grass energy and sunlight being shot at him, and him flying backwards a couple of feet. <Ow,> Blaise thinks, <Why would she do that? maybe she didn't like it.> A bit heartbroken, Blaise stands up and slowly walks back towards the arena.

<Well, two can play at that game.>, Blaise thinks. Then, from across the Blaise creates an echo from inside his body, and wraps water around it. He sends out another sonic blast of water. This one, however, is a fair bit weaker than the other one. He doesn't want to hurt her like he did earlier. However, as the pulse gets close enough, Cyndy brings up a protect and the sound wave weakly hits the side and stops dead, water splashing to the floor. Cyndy starts to laugh a bit. <Well, at least I made her laugh.>, Blaise thinks. Though he's a bit confused why Cyndy is acting like she is.

End Round 2!

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 78%
Energy: 81%
Status: <3? Wondering how Cyndy feels about him. Mildly attracted. +1 Atk, +1 Def, -1 Speed, -2 sp. atk

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Health: 75%
Energy: 79%

Arena Notes:
The whole arena looks as if it's been flooded and then drained.

Refferee's Notes:
-Alright, I gave the song a listen. It had an upbeat melody, it was a happy song, and it kind of made me feel fuzzy inside. So, It healed 10% health and 10% eng to both pokemon on the field.
-So my interpetation of curse is a bit strange. Well, I take pride in my randomnosity. (yes, that's a word.)
-Attract worked, but barely so. It won't last as long, particularly due to the second Solarbeam. Being blasted by a concentrated bundle of sunlight definitely ruins a relationship.
-As always, If you see an error in anything I'm doing, please tell me so I can fix it.

Next Round:
-Mai attacks.
-Foamy(er, I guess it's Blastoise now.) attacks.
-I ref.​

Hey. Poor little Blaise, wondering about your feelings for him. Let's captivate him for a moment, mmkay? After that, use smokescreen, and if possible do that thing where the smoke comes out like a heart, to be romantic. Use heatwave after that. Also, don't laugh at your boyfriend. It's rude. >.>

Captivate-Smokescreen (shaped like a heart)-Heatwave

Attract, then Captivate. End by using the first part of a Waterfall attack to make yourself look pretty for her by covering yourself with a 'swirling curtain of water'.

Attract~Captivate~Waterfall

Round 3

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 78%
Energy: 81%
Status: <3? Wondering how Cyndy feels about him. Mildly attracted. +1 Atk, +1 Def, -1 Speed, -2 sp. atk

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Energy: 79%

Arena Notes:

Round 3 Begin!

As the round starts, Cyndy immediately begins by appearing even more appealing, and beginning to go on about Blaise as if he were perfect for her. "You know, I like everything about you, your color, even. it's has to be the most perfect shade of light blue I've ever seen." Upon hearing the compliments, Blaise's heart melts. Temporarily forgetting everything, he just stares at Cyndy. After a few moments, he decides to try and show Cyndy that he likes her too."Well, I just love the colors of your fur. It's so perfect the way that the blue and the beige mix together. I just... love everything about you, Cyndy." After hearing Blaise's feelings, Cyndy becomes equally attracted to him. As the ref facepalms mentally, the two carry out their next actions.

Cyndy decides to send Blaise a present of sorts. She spits out a smokescreen, which heads towards Blaise slowly. She then attacks it a bit with an Ember and shapes it into a heart. As it slowly floats towards Blaise, he stares at it in awe and admiration. Unfortunately, it's still a smokescreen, so it hits Blaise and obscures his vision slightly. However, Blaise is too lovesick to care. He begins to shower Cyndy with more compliments. "I... usually don't like Fire pokemon, because of, well, the water and stuff. But, I think there's something different with you. I liked you ever since you first came to the field. It broke my heart to attack you with the Water Spout." Cyndy enjoys hearing these even more than the last batch.

Cyndy really feels upset about her last order. <It's an attack... but it's a fire attack. It won't hurt him much. and he'll probably like how it looks...> Reluctantly, Cyndy charges some heat in her body, and fires it out in a beautiful swirling vortex of fire. Looking at the site in awe, Blaise makes no attempt to dodge. He is hurt slightly by the fire, but by the look in Cyndy's eyes, he can tell she was forced to do it. To cool himself down, Blaise launches some water in the air and takes control of it, forming a swirling curtain of it around himself. At first, Cyndy prepares to dodge in case he attacks, but realizes that he's just cooling himself off. As the round ends, The two pokemon stare at each other with loving looks in their eyes.

End Round 3!

Team Foamy (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Energy: 72%
Status: <3!!! in love with Cyndy. Attracted (Severe). +1 Atk, +1 Def, -1 Speed, -4 sp. atk, -1 acc.

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Energy: 67%
Status: <3!!! in love with Blaise. Attracted (Severe). -2 sp. atk

Arena Notes:
The whole arena looks as if it's been flooded and then drained.

Refferee's Notes:
-d'awwww....
-I managed to work the words 'swirling curtain' into my reffing. yeah.
-Blastoise, by your commands, I assumed that you didn't want Blaise to attack on the last round. If you did, I can change the reffing quickly.

Next Round:
-Blastoise attacks.
-Mai attacks.
-I ref.​

I NEED TO SUBSCRIBE THIS THREAD (yes that is how I intended the move to work)

Firstly, we will play *wiggles eyebrow* this song. Then, use a Haze attack (in the shape of a heart) to show her that you really love her. End with a Substitute, the small kind.

~ Haze ~ Substitute

Hrmm.... let's... I dunno... Give Blaise a hug? Whatever. And... after that, once the haze has cleared, howl to the song, whichever part you'd like. After that, use swift (as a heart) and don't hit him. Use it as a pretty display, but don't hurt Blaise. Like a little present, right?

Hug!~Howl to the song~Swift as a heart

I am so uncreative. >.>

And howling counts as singing, right?

Last edited:

Round 4

Team Blastoise (OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Energy: 72%
Status: <3!!! in love with Cyndy. Attracted (Severe). +1 Atk, +1 Def, -1 Speed, -4 sp. atk, -1 acc.

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Energy: 67%
Status: <3!!! in love with Blaise. Attracted (Severe). -2 sp. atk

Round 4 Begin!

As the round starts, Blaise turns around and gives Blastoise a knowing wink. With a nod, Blastoise signals to the ref, and asks for a certain song to be played. A beautiful song reminiscent of love and... other things starts to play. Cyndy is to happy for words. With a shriek of joy she runs towards Blaise. Anticipating anything, Blaise prepares for the worst, but is met with a hug. As the two pokemon lock in eachothers arms, an involuntary 'aww...' escapes from the refferee's mouth. After a while, Cyndy returns to her side of the field. The two pokemon begin to glow with a red aura, which fades after a few moments, and is most likely a cause of the song.

In response to the music, Cyndy screams to the sky, though her screams have a melodic quality to them. To Blaise, this sound is the equivalent of a choir of angels serenading to him. Delighted with his gift, he decides to send cyndy one. He creates a white mist out of some stray water in the room, and slashes it into the shape of a heart. He sends it towards Cyndy and it catches the light of the room, creating a rainbow. What the mist does, however, is something neither of the battlers notice. Cyndy is just overjoyed wih her gift. The ref notes, however, that the mist eliminates Cyndy's stat changes.

Cyndy then decides to return the kind favor to Blaise. She uses energy to create a Swift attack, but instead of stars, she turns he shapes ito hearts. She controls them, and sends them as a vortex that swirls around Blaise. Though Cyndy tries her best, some of the stars strike Blaise by accident. Though Blaise is not angry in the slightest, he decides that some future protection might be needed for any more accidental hits. He sprays a torrent of water out of his mouth, and then molds it into a shape that roughly resembles a squirtle. His creation blinks, and stares back at Cyndy.

Round 4 end!

Team Blastoise(OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 63%
Energy: 64%

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Energy: 59%

Ref's Notes
-the hug did nothing energy or damage wise, but it did keep the attraction severe (among other things), and caused the ref to view it as a 'cute' moment.
-the song added 1 sp atk to both battlers, and subtracted 1 sp.def. In Cyndy's case, it didn't really matter, as haze reduced her stats to normal.
-Swift was not meant to damage, but do to the number of hearts that were produced, and the nature of the atack, some of the mdid strike. It did 1/2 the damage it normally would.
-anything wrong? tell me and I'll fix it.

Next Round:
-Mai attacks/issues commands that cause the two pokemon to love each other.
-Blastoise attacks/also issues commands that cause the two pokemon to love each other.
-I ref.​

Last edited:
I'm running out of lovity moves. :(

So, use substitute yourself, as double the Blaise might need double the Cyndy to keep up. Then chill out, as your energy is getting not that low, but it's coming. After that flare up the fire on your back as a pretty display, though make sure it's defensive enough instead of it just using up energy. If Blaise has to attack for whatever reason, retaliate with either ember (if it's a weak attack) or solar beam (if it's a serious problem).

Substitute/Ember/Solarbeam~Chill/Ember/Solarbeam~ Flare up fire/Ember/Solarbeam

Stand where she's trying to make the sub. Then all of her attention will be on you! Then make purty bebblies for her only times a jillion. If you can't pull off the combo for whatever reason, just use a normal bubblebeam on the third action.

Block Substitute ~ Bubblebeam + Bubblebeam ~ Nothing/Bubblebeam

About to post the reffing. (sorry for lateness, will be better next time,) But, I forgot that Haze eliminates all stat changes, so Blaise's status is incorrect. I'll fix that.

Round 5

Team Blastoise(OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 63%
Energy: 64%

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Energy: 59%

Round 5 Begin!

Cyndy decides that if she's going to deal with two Blaises (which she thinks look simply adorable) she should probably make a second Cyndy. She begins to build up some fire in her body to spit out, but Blaise runs up to her and stands next her, smiling. The last thing she wants to do is hurt him, so she reluctantly cancels her Cyndaquil crafting.

Cyndy, feeling a bit tired, curls up on the floor and rests, letting energy flow back into her body. Blasie, thinking that cyndy looks quite bored, decides to excite her a little. He creates a jillion bubbles in his mouth by compining the power of two Bubblebeams, and fires them at her in a heart-shaoed pattern. The bubbles swirl around her, and Cyndy thinks they look very pretty... until they start to hit her. The bubbles sting a bit, and Cyndy begins to look angry.

Blaise realizes he's made a mistake, but only after Cyndy shoots off a few blazing white embers at Blaise. The embers don't really hurt him, but Blaise feels bad nonetheless, and bows his head in apology.

Round 5 End!

Team Blastoise(OOO)

squirtle
[Blaise] [M]
<Torrent>
Health: 61%
Energy: 56%
Condition: Deeply sorry. In love with Cyndy.

Team Mai (OOO)

cyndaquil
[Cyndy] [F]
<Blaze>
Health: 67%
Energy: 66%
Condition: a bit stung, but knows that Blaise had good intentions. In love with Blaise.

Ref's Notes:
-Sorry for the late reffing. I'll be faster next time.
-Because of the release of B/W, B/W moves are now allowed, if you wish to use them.
-If you didn't notice, I split Status into Status (a pokemon's stat changes/status afflictions) and Condition ( how a pokemon feels at the given time.)
-Chill recovered 10% energy.
-I calculated the Bubblebeam+Bubblebeam combo as a 100 power Bubblebeam.
-Both attacks did less damage due to attraction.
-The attraction reduced itself a bit due to the attacks.
-Refing was short due to the lack of many attacks actually taking place.

Next Round:
-Blastoise attacks.
-Mai attacks.
-I ref.​

Back
Top Bottom