• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

blazheirio889 vs. Crazy Linoone (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

I'll stop being a jerk now. And actually look up attack descriptions so they actually work.

Although shouldn't Bide use up some energy?

And, alrighty, screw this. Spam Giga Drain (energy), but if the seel can't be hit for any reason (Protect, Detect, Dive(???), etc, not counting Substitute), or you can't attack it due to Disable or status, Calm Mind. If Calm Mind's been Disable'd, Chill.

Giga Drain (energy)/Calm Mind ~ Giga Drain (energy)/Calm Mind/Chill ~ Giga Drain (energy)/Calm Mind/Chill

Hm. You can't drain energy from a Substitute anyway, so go ahead and give me one (medium, if you please). Follow up with Hail and a perfect accuracy Blizzard.

Substitute (15%) ~ Hail ~ Blizzard

Also since I went first in tic-tac-toe last round, I think Linoone should go first this time...?

Tic-tac-toe: Aaaaaaaargh yes he should.
Bide: its energy cost is half the damage dealt, correct me if I'm wrong, and half of zero leaves you with diddly-squat.

Last edited:
Each action, it costs 1% + half the damage absorbed by the attack. There is no additional cost for the final release.

That means 3% energy in total, right?

Well, it's not like I'm going to be able to win this anyway. I'll just go in a corner and die now. BLAZHY YOU'RE TOO GOOD *white flag*

[ ] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Okay, fixededed.

Battle Format: 2vs2 Single
Battle Style: Set
DQ: One Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned: OHKOs, Perish Song, Destiny Bond. Direct healers are limited to 1 per Pokemon; chills are limited to 3 per Pokemon.
Arena: The Waffle of Many Awesome Condiments

You heard me.

That’s right, this is the next in the Linoone food arena series (though I’ve been given the privilege to write it out). This battle commences on a gigantic waffle that stretches out as far as the eye can see – squares upon squares of soft, delicious breakfast food.

Even the most scrumptious of delicacies can be made better with the right condiment, though. And this is where the biggest quirk of this arena comes in: when the trainers issue their commands, they are also to fill in a waffle square with a condiment of their choice in a heated game of tic-tac-toe. However, the tic-tac-toe order is determined separately from that of the commanding order at the beginning of the match for game-balancing purposes. Therefore, trainer one could be attacking first, but filling in their square second. Tic-tac-toe turns alternate and are not affected by the time-distorting skillz of Trick Room.

Whenever a trainer wins a game of tic-tac-toe, a Snorlax will inexplicably drop out of nowhere, squashing the loser’s Pokemon for 5% typeless damage. The Snorlax will then proceed to drain all the syrups and sauces from the waffle squares (oh, horror!), but will thankfully be incapacitated by the referee before it can get to nomming the actual battlefield itself. In the event that the tic-tac-toe game ends in a tie, the Snorlax will drop out of nowhere regardless, but simply will not land on a Pokemon. It’ll still suck up all the condiments, though.

And finally, I’ve saved the best for last: the condiments. You can put your tongue back in your head now.
Awesomesauce: explodes with awesomeness when thrown. Abbreviated as A.
Maple syrup: gives +1 speed to the consumer due to sugar overload. Also explodes with awesomeness. Abbreviated as M.
Regular syrup: gives +1 attack to the consumer due to I’unno. Abbreviated as R.
High fructose corn syrup: deals 5% typeless damage when thrown/consumed due to ohlookabutterfly *runs* Abbreviated as C.
Butter: it’s slippery. Think of it as on-waffle ice. Abbreviated as B.
Honey: gives +1 sp. attack to the consumer due to it being… the counterpart to regular syrup, somehow. No, I don’t know either. Sorry. Abbreviated as H.

In addition, part of the waffle can be consumed to heal 5% health.

Blazhy is abbreviated as B and Crazy Linoone as C.

And an example of a tic-tac-toe game in case it isn’t clear:

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Ability: Hydration
Health: 100%
Energy: 97%
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Hail ~ Blizzard
Chills: 0/3
Healings: 0/1

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Ability: Synchronize
Health: 63%
Energy: 62%
Status: Where are all the plants? Special attack +2, special defense +2
Commands: Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind / Chill ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind / Chill
Ani177MS.png
Substitute
Health: 10%

Round 9 Begin!

Do I need to tell you what happens here?

Natu being more than twice as fast as Seel, Kwak'waka moves first. Her eyes take on a bright green glow and an aura of the same color begins to surround Khionas, orbs of energy ripping themselves free and hurtling towards Kwak'waka, being absorbed into her body on impact. Khionas works on making a companion for herself; she breathes out clouds of frigid air, freezing the moisture in the air into an ice-sculpture, then she funnels energy from her own body into it. Its clear ice changes to a solid white, and it blinks and begins moving, looking around and slithering in front of its creator.

Kwak'waka tries to use the same tactic, her eyes glowing green again; orbs of energy fail to manifest themselves from the substitute, however, and the move fails. Khionas' eyes take on a different glow in turn, this one light blue, and storm clouds begin to gather, darken, and hailstones begin to fall.

Kwak'waka once again tries to drain energy from the Substitute, and once again fails. Khionas, for her own attack, concentrates hard; her eyes take on a stronger blue glow than previously, and the falling hailstones suddenly thicken, turning into a veritable blizzard; a massively strong, brutally cold wind begins throwing them at Kwak'waka. While the Natu is unharmed, the same cannot be said for the Substitute; it freezes into a solid lump of ice within seconds, and is hurled backwards, into the new pool of Awesomesauce, where it sinks without a trace. The wind stops, the hailstones thin, and the blizzard ends, leaving a small-in-comparison hailstorm.

Both battlers note that the constant hailstones sting quite severely.

Round 9 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 80%
Energy: 74%
Attacks Used: Substitute ~ Hail ~ Blizzard
Ani086MS.png
Substitute
Health:
10%

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 58%
Energy: 65%
Status: Giga Drains are useless on Substitutes, it seems. Special attack +2, special defense +2
Attacks used: Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

Damage / Energy Calculations
Giga Drain - drained 5% energy
Substitute - 15% health (Khionas), 7% energy
Giga Drain - failed due to Substitute; 1% energy
Hail - 4% energy
Giga Drain - failed due to Substitute; 1% energy
Blizzard - 13% damage, 9% energy

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES

Arena Notes
- There is a glob of Toxic on the ground some distance to the left of where Canyon was; touching it may well poison someone.
- There is a raging Hailstorm (5% per round, three more rounds)
The waffle looks like this:
f57zpz.jpg

Next Round
- blazhy attacks
- Linoone attacks and fills in a square
- blazhy fills in a square
- I ref

Just keep spamming them Blizzards, Khionas. We got this. If Kwak'waka tries to Pain Split (not falling for that one again!), Protect to avoid it. Finally, if you can't hit Kwak'waka because of Protect, Detect, etc. (not including Substitute), may as well make some use of the arena and slurp up some Honey.

Blizzard/Protect/Drink Honey ~ Blizzard/Protect/Drink Honey ~ Blizzard/Protect/Drink Honey

Aaaaasdf sorry guys I totally missed this.

D: And the waffle's cold now, Blazhy! What have you done!

Although it might go well with some ice cream. Hmmmmm, ice cream with waffles.

Since you're still faster, start with a Light Screen to tone down those blizzards a bit. Try to hide yourself behind those waffle ridges so the blizzards have a smaller chance of hitting you. After that, Giga Drain (Health), then Giga Drain (Energy). If the Sub is still up on the third action, switch to Quick Attack. Use it to dodge the last Blizzard if you can, but destroying the sub is your main focus.

Light Screen ~ Giga Drain (Health) ~ Giga Drain (Energy)/Quick Attack

I could swear I posted this literally weeks ago D: D:

Banned: OHKOs, Perish Song, Destiny Bond. Direct healers are limited to 1 per Pokemon; chills are limited to 3 per Pokemon.

You heard me.

That’s right, this is the next in the Linoone food arena series (though I’ve been given the privilege to write it out). This battle commences on a gigantic waffle that stretches out as far as the eye can see – squares upon squares of soft, delicious breakfast food.

Even the most scrumptious of delicacies can be made better with the right condiment, though. And this is where the biggest quirk of this arena comes in: when the trainers issue their commands, they are also to fill in a waffle square with a condiment of their choice in a heated game of tic-tac-toe. However, the tic-tac-toe order is determined separately from that of the commanding order at the beginning of the match for game-balancing purposes. Therefore, trainer one could be attacking first, but filling in their square second. Tic-tac-toe turns alternate and are not affected by the time-distorting skillz of Trick Room.

Whenever a trainer wins a game of tic-tac-toe, a Snorlax will inexplicably drop out of nowhere, squashing the loser’s Pokemon for 5% typeless damage. The Snorlax will then proceed to drain all the syrups and sauces from the waffle squares (oh, horror!), but will thankfully be incapacitated by the referee before it can get to nomming the actual battlefield itself. In the event that the tic-tac-toe game ends in a tie, the Snorlax will drop out of nowhere regardless, but simply will not land on a Pokemon. It’ll still suck up all the condiments, though.

And finally, I’ve saved the best for last: the condiments. You can put your tongue back in your head now.
Maple syrup: gives +1 speed to the consumer due to sugar overload. Also explodes with awesomeness. Abbreviated as M.
High fructose corn syrup: deals 5% typeless damage when thrown/consumed due to ohlookabutterfly *runs* Abbreviated as C.
Honey: gives +1 sp. attack to the consumer due to it being… the counterpart to regular syrup, somehow. No, I don’t know either. Sorry. Abbreviated as H.

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 97%
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Hail ~ Blizzard

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 63%
Energy: 62%
Status: Where are all the plants? Special attack +2, special defense +2
Commands: Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind / Chill ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Calm Mind / Chill
Ani177MS.png
Substitute
Health: 10%

Round 10 Begin!

While both battlers have by now become used to the two giant globs of toppings that seem to appear out of nowhere, but this time there is something more. A trickle of something watery begins to pour into a square that has not, as yet, been touched by the battle; the two Pokéon stare on, dumbfounded, as the trickle widens into a pour, which fills up the square until two of its sides give out, and still the whatever-it-is continues to fall; it finally trickles to a halt once two squares are full almost to overflowing.

Shaking away her shock, Kwak'waka concentrates, her eyes glowing with a white light; a shield of what looks like glass winks into place, which Khionas instinctively knows will be trouble. Khionas' eyes, in turn, glow a slightly darker blue, and another blizzard-strength snowstorm blows in. Khionas, thereafter, stays absolutely still, maintaining the snowstorm.

Struggling to see against the prevalent snow, Kwak'waka hears a command for the same useless tactic as the last round; reluctantly, she casts her mind towards the location of the Seel, finding a seemingly impenetrable mental blockade caused by the substitute. Giving up, she rips energy from the clone itself, which physically manifests itself as a green aura, globs of which tear themselves free from the substitute and hurl themselves towards Kwak'waka, being absorbed by her body. The substitute, losing the energy required to hold it together, suddenly collapses into a pool of water. The snowstorm is still going, Kwak'waka notes, and it hurts, though she's just thankful she has her glass-shield to protect her from the worst of it.

Once again, Kwak'waka casts her mind towards her opponent; the same green aura forms around Khionas, pulling free and flying at Kwak'waka, who absorbs it. The constant blizzard finally fades away, leaving only the same old hailstorm.

Once again, the battlers note the irritations of the falling hailstones.

Round 10 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 78%
Energy: 37%
Attacks Used: Blizzard ~ Blizzard ~ Blizzard

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 46%
Energy: 57%
Status: Giga Drains are not useless on Substitutes, it seems. Special attack +2, special defense +2; light screen in effect.
Attacks used: Light Screen ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

Light Screen - 3% energy, 1% per action
Blizzard - 6% damage, 9% energy
Giga Drain - 12% damage, restored 5% health, 8% energy (accuracy roll 49, needed 100 to miss)
Giga Drain - 12% energy (Khionas), restored 6% energy (Kwak'waka) (accuracy roll 63, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES
- The substitute was destroyed on the second action.
- Yeah, so I made it one maintained blizzard rather than three seperate ones. Sue me.0
- I think we're at a disrepancy as to how deep the waffle-indents are. Should a water-dwelling Pokémon be sent out, I would add some very watery topping to a square (outside the main grid) and it would act as a pool for it, so it's a tad too deep to hide in. I just realised that Surf or similar would be topping-powered and that would be hilarious.
- Derp Khionas is a water-dwelling Pokémon. Is Khionas okay on land? I forgot to do that for him, I added a pool and he can just jump in at any time. That won't cost him an action.
- Yes I rolled Blizzard's freeze chance. It came up false on all three counts.
- Don't worry Linoone, your incompetence will always be hilarious.

Arena Notes
- There is a glob of Toxic on the ground some distance to the left of where Canyon was; touching it may well poison someone.
- There is a raging Hailstorm (5% per round, two more rounds)
2im10zt.jpg

(That bit at the bottom is the pool; it's maple syrup too dilute to cause a speed boost)

Next Round
- Linoone attacks
- blazhy attacks and fills in a square
- Linoone fills in a square
- I ref

Last edited:
Gee, way to boost my self-confidence, SB :(
Although I am going to save that quote for later.

Here's a simple math problem for your amusement:
If Linoone = :D
and Finals = -1
What is (Linoone)^Finals ?

Before we start... Khionas's Sub is dead now, right? I know you said it in the notes, but the Sub sprite is still up with a cheerful 10% and I'm going to catch hypothermia from the hail soon. And I think Blazhy forgot about the condiments last round, so it should be her turn to put the condiments down first.

Is the answer 1/(:D)?

Yeah, the sub's dead, and fixed the condiment order.

Also yes it was an excellent confidence booster of a quote wasn't it.

...Wait, you're not going to use that quote against me are you?

Naw, I just keep a list of amusing quotes in case I ever need them.

(Also, Kwa doesn't have a sub at the beginning of the round, but since you didn't count it in the damage calculations, it doesn't really matter.)

Annnd finally! We're almost even, Kwa! Let's try to energyfaint our opponent here by more Giga Drain (Energy). If you can't hit it due to Protect, Detect, Substitute, Dive, Disable, status alignments, Double Team, or anything else that suddenly comes up during our battle, get a Sub up on the first action and Chill or Light Screen if your Light Screen fades on the others.

Now watch as Blazhy rips apart all the loopholes with her ninjatoes. :(

Giga Drain (energy)/Substitute(10%) ~ Giga Drain (energy)/Chill/Light Screen ~ Giga Drain (energy)/Chill/Light Screen

:x And we were off to a pretty good start, too. By the way, how many actions does Light Screen have left?

Well anyway, we're doing fairly well in terms of energy so let's use Disable instead of Substitute. Then Chill, since we really need that energy, and finally Encore Kwak'waka's Chill.

Disable ~ Chill ~ Encore

Edit: Derp square.

[BM] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [BH] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [CA]

Noooooo loooophooooole D: D: D:

*RNGGod shrine* *RNGGod shrine* RNGGod shrine*

[BM] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [BH] [ ]
[CA] [ ] [CA]

I sense another tie! Why are we both so good at Tic-Tac-Toe, dammit!

You heard me.

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 78%
Energy: 37%
Commands: Disable ~ Chill ~ Encore

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 46%
Energy: 57%
Status: Giga Drains are not useless on Substitutes, it seems. Special attack +2, special defense +2; light screen in effect.
Commands: Giga Drain (energy) / Substitute(10%) ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Chill / Light Screen ~ Giga Drain (energy) / Chill / Light Screen

Round 11 Begin!

Rather than three toppings as in the previous round, this round only two fall onto the battlewaffle.

Kwak'waka hops forward a couple of times before her eyes take on the now-familiar green glow, the now-familiar green aura manifesting itself around Khionas and hurling itself towards Kwak'waka in the now-familiar way. Almost as soon as the glow fades, Khionas' eyes glow dark red, and Kwak'waka's eyes take on the same glow. Kwak'waka suddenly has a strong feeling that something is missing, but is not sure what.

Both battlers seem to decide that inaction is the best strategy under the circumstances, Kwak'waka tucking her head under her wing and ceasing her usual near-constant hopping, and Khionas lying down and closing her eyes.

After several minutes, Khionas stirs. She lifts her head blearily and looks about, then focusses on the still-sleeping Kwak'waka. Another red glow, this time brighter red, illuminates her eyes, and Kwak'waka's sleep deepens slightly. There is no further action.

Khionas is beginning to get irritated by the hailstones, but consoles herself with the knowledge that it'll probably stop soon. Kwak'waka doesn't even stir.

Round 11 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 73%
Energy: 28%
Attacks Used: Disable ~ Chill ~ Encore
Chills: 1/3

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 41%
Energy: 80%
Status: Giga Drains are not useless on Substitutes, it seems. Special attack +2, special defense +2; light screen in effect (one more round); encored (one more action); Giga Drain disabled (one more round).
Attacks used: Giga Drain ~ Chill ~ Chill
Chills: 2/3

Light Screen - 1% energy per action
Giga Drain - 12% energy (Khionas), restored 6% energy (accuracy roll 78, needed 100 to miss)
Disable - 3% energy (accuracy roll 65, needed 80 or above to miss)
Chill - restored 10% energy
Encore - 4% energy (accuracy roll 12, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES
- Derp. Light Screen is up for another round.
- Hey Mikeh, could I have some examples of amusing quotes?
- You never answered me. Is the answer to the maths question 1 / (:D)?

Arena Notes
- There is a raging Hailstorm (5% per round, one more round)
2ljgww8.jpg

(That bit at the bottom is the pool; it's maple syrup too dilute to cause a speed boost)

Next Round
- blazhy attacks and fills in a square
- Linoone attacks and fills in a square
- I ref

Throw up a 15% Substitute while Kwak'waka's still Chilling, then Chill yourself. End with Waterfall. Should your Substitute be broken and Kwak'waka is going to use Pain Split, Protect against it. Finally, if Kwak'waka Protects/Detects/whatever against Waterfall, Chill.

Substitute (15%) ~ Chill ~ Waterfall/Protect/Chill

[BM] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [BH] [ ]
[CA] [BA] [CA]

Well there was awesomesauce so I do not regret having this battle :DDD

Alright, we got this, Kwa! We got this!

I know I've said that before and you got steamrolled, but I actually mean it this time!

Since you're going to Chill on the first action anyway, just keep on doing that and get some energy back. Follow up with a Calm Mind and finish off with a Sunny Day. Since you're way faster, you don't have to worry about that Waterfall after you get the Sunny Day up.

This is setting up for awesomeness next round.

Chill ~ Calm Mind ~ Sunny Day

EDIT: Oh wait waffles

[BM] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [BH] [CA]
[CA] [BA] [CA]

Let's just fill the while waffle with awesomesauce, shall we?

Back
Top Bottom