• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Browser Wars, Part I (aka Browser Discussion)

What browser(s) do you use?

• Total voters
I only actually use Firefox, though I have used IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Konqueror, Lynx (which is fucking weird), iCab, and possibly some other obscure ones I'm forgetting. EDIT: Oh right, Netscape, but it's gone.

I wish people would stop working around IE so that people couldn't say things such as
it browses...?

Also I hate this thread's title even if it is descriptive of the thread.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the function of a browser for me, and IE lets me browse what I want, so I don't really care much. I've used Firefox and it has some neat extensions, but I don't really use them anyway.

IE lets you browse things as long as the webmaster decided to spend extra time getting it to work properly for you but it's kind of silly to willingly use it because, y'know, wasting time getting it to work properly for you.

I uh, use FireFox the most, just because it makes my life easier. I also use Opera to get through the no-right click script and I don't want to disable Javascript on FireFox, and then I use Safari on my iMac.

firefox noscript extension? allows you to disable specific scripts (actually it disables them all by default and you enable what you need)

I use Firefox 3.

Last edited:
Firefox because it comes with my OS? 8) Also because I'm a hippie faggot who likes open-source everything.

Also IE makes my life harder in a very direct way. I have wasted countless hours, both at work and not, trying to track down some obscure undocumented bug in IE. Firefox and Safari meanwhile both have public bug trackers and vibrant communities; tracking down bugs is usually trivial. And I'm the expert on IE problems at work.

1) Allows me to be logged onto two accounts at the same time. Don't worry, it isn't here!
Give this a shot: http://www.nektra.com/oss/firefox/extensions/cookiepie/

2) Most of the family seems to be worried about Firefox. I have tried getting them to switch, but apparently IE is easier to use than any other browser!
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_internet_explorer/

May require tweaking for Firefox 3.

I myself like unrounded bare-bones programs, so IE 6.0 has always been my personal favorite.
What is not bare-bones about Firefox? Just don't go looking for extras and you won't find them. That goes for Opera too, and doubly so for Safari.

Granted I don't know why you wouldn't want extras; a few minutes of figuring things out can make your life a lot easier.

I'm not going to change my mind any time soon, so don't try arguing. In fact, to avoid a heart attack, I'm probably not going to respond if you try.
Wow, great. "Here is what I think but don't try to talk about it because I won't answer >:((("

IE makes my life difficult. I will not stop arguing about it, ever.

You may want to reconsider for more practical reasons, too: http://robert.accettura.com/blog/2008/07/03/killing-ie-6/

I use IE because it browses...?
Not very well. Also see above link.

IE. I hate computers and can do everything I want to with it, so I can't be bothered to change it. I go on about ten different sites and they all seem to work okay, so I'm not fussed.

I love random anti-IE crap. Oh that cracks me up so much.

At least Firefox is installed at my grandparents' house; I would die if it wasn't.
I think I'm gonna try Fx3 now.

IE. I hate computers and can do everything I want to with it, so I can't be bothered to change it. I go on about ten different sites and they all seem to work okay, so I'm not fussed.
How do you even know what "everything you want to do" is, if you've only ever used IE? :V Christ, use Firefox 3's address bar for a week and you will be amazed.

Because all I use the computer for is fanfiction, forums, DA, emails and occasionally youtube. That's really all I need.

Fx3 saves an amazing amount of time when trying to switch between websites. Tagging bookmarks. I type in any three consecutive letters of whatever I want and it usually has it as the first suggestion! if it's not the first one, then it'll be the first one next time

Although I hate IE (and MS in general), I see no point in trying to get people to convert from IE to something else.

IE works, it browses, saves history and bookmarks.

If that's all people want from a browser then who are other people to say they have do those things better and faster.

I use IE because I always have and see no reason to change. I don't care if it's the worst, so don't tell me not to use it or why it is, because it won't change my mind at all. I might download Firefox at some other point if I feel the need, but I don't, so I'll just stick with IE. If I ever switch, it'll be because I want to.

Last edited:
How does it make it harder though?
It's slower and crashes more...

But for people who don't actually go on the internet that often, or don't care about speed etc. what's the big difference?

Also you can only tell that it's making everything harder if you switch to firefox for a while. The people who haven't can't tell the difference, and how is using IE affecting you in any way?

BECAUSE HE HAS TO SPEND EXTRA TIME GETTING HIS SITE TO WORK PROPERLY BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUBBORN TO SWITCH, THAT'S WHY

BECAUSE HE HAS TO SPEND EXTRA TIME GETTING HIS SITE TO WORK PROPERLY BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUBBORN TO SWITCH, THAT'S WHY
This.

And before you go saying that it's his fault it didn't work well in IE, his code was perfectly valid. It's just that your pathetic excuse for a browser decides it doesn't feel like following any sort of standards, so webmasters are stuck dedicating hours that could be spent doing something more constructive if people weren't so fucking stubborn.

Thousands (millions? I don't know; estimation) of GB on the internet alone is likely spent on complex hacks and workarounds just so your little piece-of-shit "browser" doesn't commit ocular rape the second it tries to parse something coherent. Congratulations, IE users. You are slowing the internet down.

... I'm sorry about that. I'm awfully bitter about the subject. >_<;

Or, to put it more tentatively, Internet Explorer is bad for people who don't use it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom