• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bulbasaur's Pokémon Arrangements

Re: Bulbasaur's Pokémon Arrangements

Can you do a Driftveil City, with whatever instruments you want?

It exists here in piano form, so I assume you want an orchestral version?

Hey. Could you make an arrangement of the Route 12 music (Summer Version), and Route 10 for the following ensemble?

These are the instruments that we can play:

Person 1/ 2:
Piccolo
Flute
Alto Flute in G (We only have access to one Alto though)

Person 3:
Oboe
English Horn in F

Person 4:
Clarinet in Bb or A
Alto Clarinet in Eb
Bass Clarinet in Bb

Person 5/ 6:
Bassoon
Contrabassoon (Only one contra)

Person 7:
Tenor Saxophone in Bb

Person 8/9:
Horn in F

Person 10:
Harp

Person 11/ 12/ 13/ 14:
Violin
Viola

Optional people:

Person 15:
Tenor Trombone
Tuba

Person 16:
Trumpet in Bb or C

Yes, I know it's large, but, this is for a Student ensemble at my university doing this for a pops concert. Don't make it redonkulously easy. Seriously. If you need help with anything, like ranges, transpositions, or making the harp part playable (harder than it sounds) just ask.

Last edited:

How good is your orchestra? I have a really bad problem of making things harder than playable for a particular level. Also, how much of each section do you have? And by 2 horns and 2 violins, I suppose you mean you want two parts?

How good is your orchestra? I have a really bad problem of making things harder than playable for a particular level. Also, how much of each section do you have? And by 2 horns and 2 violins, I suppose you mean you want two parts?

I edited it (read: Copypasta'd the roster) to make it easier to understand.

Basically, we're all college level musicians, so, give us all you got. (The harp can be tricky, so just give me the part and I can give it to our harpist to see if it's at all playable. Also, give me the bassoon and contra parts. Those things can be really hard if you don't know how to write for them.) Each part will be played by one person.

I'm finished Skyarrow Bridge, Crazy Linoone's request. I honestly didn't mean to create such a complex rhythm, but in the end, it works out. I suggest listening to the MUS a few times before trying to play it. It's not particularly hard once you've got the rhythms.

Yay! Skyarrow Bridge!

I only have one problem with it, really: I think the DEFD part should be an octave lower? I mean the BBBBBFBDCCBAB DEFD BBBBBFDABCCBAB FD part. Derp how do I explain it. It's during the second major melody? Something like that.

I just listened to the Sky Arrow bridge one and I quite like it! :D

Route 10 is up. Nothing much to say about this one, except that it sounds a bit bland compared to the original.

:D These are good! What program did you use to make them? (also i can't open any .mus files so I cant listen to the PMD2 one)

Well, I use Finale, and got it at some sort of discount for $199. It's still ridiculously expensive, though, and really unnecessary unless you're going to engrave music. There's a free program called MuseScore, and you can do most things in it, but, for example, you couldn't do Primal Dialga like I did in it. There's cheaper programs out there, too. If you're not going to do orchestral scoring, SongWriter is good enough, and if you are going to do orchestral scoring, PrintMusic is fine. There's also Sibelius, which is great (but also very expensive) if you're not a perfectionist like me/don't want to spend a month getting used to Finale. However, I know that with Finale, I'll never not be able to do something - absolutely everything is in there, although it may be buried in sub-contextual-menus. But really, Finale is just overkill, designed for sound engineers and engravers. The PMD2 Primal Dialga music, I didn't optimize it for audio output because it would be a nightmare, but if you really wanted to listen to it, and understand that there'll be a few notes that are off when you listen to it due to the wonky cross-staff irregular-clef notation, you can download Finale Reader to read the MUS.

And thanks! What specifically did you like about them?

Wow, that's one fancy program you got there. I use GarageBand; that was one of the main reasons I bought a Mac. It's got lots of features and options and what have you, but from what I can tell it's got a different purpose than finale because while finale is all about writing a music score on a computer with all kinds of fancy notations you have to know how to use, GarageBand is more about creating a user-friendly interface anyone can use while maintaining a comprehensive set of features. Anyway I was just wondering because these are the best things I have heard not made in garage band.

All the complicated rhythms were handled flawlessly, and that's huge (I was amazed at your 64th notes in Primal Dialga; I'm not even sure what glissando is). It seemed like the way you fit the percussion into Darkness Ridge worked pretty well. On the other hand, none of the songs resolve at the end well (if they resolve at all). It seems like that's probably because you're thinking you might add to them later, but as they are right now they seem incomplete. Route 10 was my favorite. The grace notes in Route 10 added a lot of depth. I'm not familiar with black and white music so I don't know if you just inserted them exactly like they are in the game, but they certainly made clean transitions, which is often difficult with grace note phrases. In Route 10 you also made really good use of dynamics, which gave it the soul that made it stand out from the others.

If you mean the 32nd notes, then that was just something I filled in because a glissando wouldn't be appropriate for that passage. As for the resolutions, I intentionally made them loop back like they do in the games. However, adding a resolution would be an option; do you think I should?

Yeah, I inserted the grace notes as in the music. I'm usually hesitant to add anything that's not in the music, and hesitant to take anything away from the music, unless it's going to be unplayable afterward.

Thank you for taking the time to expand on your comment! I appreciate this, and it'll help improve future works. Again, thank you.

Oh, were they 32nd notes? I distinctly remember seeing 4 bars, but I thought the rule was you add one more bar each time you half the value rather than double the number of bars.

And no problem. I made my own pokemon arrangement (Dialga/ Palkia battle) several years ago in garageband; I know how much effort is put into it. Personally I would add a resolution. Even if it comes from games, it's natural for music to have a definitive ending point. The legend of zelda symphonies, for example, will resolve. You don't even have to change the music or add things much, maybe just like a few transitioning notes and a i/I chord. Usually there will be a place in the music that feels like it's drawing toward a natural stopping point, and then the music makes a sudden turn or carries on as normal and goes through another chord progression.

No, no, you're right, 4 bars is a 64th note. Except I can't find an instance in the piece where I use 4 bars.

I see. Yeah, good point. I'll probably include a resolution in later pieces.

Do you still have your Dialga/Palkia arrangement?

64th notes in measure 11 :P
And yeah I've still got it. Would you like me to post it here or send it in a private message or what?

... And that's where the problem lies. I uploaded a preliminary version (that's why it has no resolution). It should be updated now.

Through PM, sure.

If possible, could you upload the Finale files as .xmls? .xml is a universal format and can be interpreted by nearly any scorewriter, including MuseScore (which is fantastic) and Sibelius. Also note that you cannot use Finale Reader (natively) in Linux (which a lot of us use).

As for your arrangements, I'm quite impressed. Have you played through them yourself, though? Looking at the score for Sky Arrow Bridge, there are a few (apparent) impracticalities, like the E♭-G♭7-E♭ motion all in root position that quickly. I don't have a keyboard handy now, but that seems like it'd be rather taxing.

Back
Top Bottom