• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Business Approval Office

What about like...an emotional training facility that teaches things like Flatter, Captivate, Taunt, Torment, Fake Tears, Encore, etc. to things that don't learn them? Also Charm and probably some other things I can't think of at the mo.

I have a stupid question:
What is overhead?
EDIT: Okay ILS answered the overhead question for me. Which brings me a follow-up:
How do you know how much overhead you have to pay?

Last edited:
Around the outskirts of the main city of ASB Central, tall skyscrapers and apartments as well as shunted-down short and thick buildings eventually give way to the vivid landscape of most of Asber. Once you leave the jam-packed metropolis it's easy to tell that there are a lot of locales in the region--besides the capital, you can see the expansive plains slowly morphing into a desert or steppe-like area to one side of you, while the beginnings of a forest and maybe even a marsh surround you on the other sides. Whatever the landscape turns into, you can't help but be fascinated; however, the attempting-to-be-elegant shack sprouting suddenly out of nowhere grabs your attention just a little bit more. It's quite extravagant, if a shack could ever be called that; arched roofs and oddly precise fences expand for quite a while across the environment. From what you can tell, there's just a bit of everything natural in there, maybe even with a bit of technological help along the way. With a sign out near the front advertizing new management somewhat proudly, you feel that it couldn't be too bad to see what's inside; the sight of a swablu happily flying past helps with your nervousness a small amount. As you head slowly towards the door, a zigzagoon decides to take the duty of practically pushing you in. Aggressive marketing much?

Sable's Mai's League Daycare Center

After you rid yourself of the obnoxious normal type (once you came inside they seemed to be satisfied enough), you see that the weird architecture wasn't just an outdoor thing. Oddly, the business is decked out almost entirely in crimson, gold, and black; not negative in its own right but a bit off-kilter with a spheal perched on the mahogany counter. You have to wonder how practical this is...

"Hey." It seemed like the staff noticed you! Specifically, the one in a red robe playing with a knife. This may not have been a good idea after all. "Do you need any assistance? I'm the owner now, so if you need to ask questions I'm here, but there's a list right over there of all of our services. Whatever you need to know should be covered." Standing up, apparent owner grabbed the stiletto she was toying with. "I'm leaving to go train the clients. No, I don't actually hit the pokemon with my knives; and besides, is that really worse than taking a flamethrower to the face or having your wings ripped off?"

Outline and Information (Daycare Main)

Pinned up on the wall (surprisingly not with a knife, nor with a blade of any kind) is a scroll, listing various things about the business. It's written in pen, with a scrawly sort of handwriting that's only just legible. Perhaps it would have been better if Mai had given up the theme and typed out the information... with many additions obviously added later and things crossed out haphazardly, it really doesn't look that fancy or appealing.

You can only deposit two pokemon in the Daycare as a whole at any given time.

You can place dropped off pokemon either in the Fields or the Breeding Pen.

In the Fields, a pokemon can gain experience points or happiness to further them towards evolution. It takes two completed battles to gain one experience/happiness point, and they must be both be completed while the pokemon is in the Fields (they can, however, be started beforehand). All battles must be finished in succession while the pokemon is in the Fields; you can't deposit a pokemon, finish a battle, withdraw the pokemon, finish a few more battles and deposit the pokemon again right before you finish another one to gain credit.

It doesn't cost any money to pick up a pokemon if they haven't gained any points; you're charged by how many experience or happiness your pokemon gains.

The cost of withdrawing a pokemon (that has gained experience) is five dollars plus the rarity multiplied by how many points it earned. Fakemon registered in the 'Dex Registry are rare and hard to train, so they cost $15 per point to withdraw. So, for example, a rarity six pokemon that's gained two experience points would cost $17 to withdraw, and a skelitten earning the same number of points would cost $30.

For information on the Breeding Pen and Incubator, see the other scroll.

What other scroll? You don't see another...

Oh. It's on the other side of the room, next to a sign that says "Incubator Room"; a door leading to the outside bears the description "Breeding Pen". Despite exterior design there was a sort of misguided thought put into this--the other door right beside you was leading to the Fields. Looking out there, it seems like a nice place; the grass is a natural and healthy green, there's a lake for the swimmers, and there seems to be a mini volcano (you wonder how she put that out there) off in the distance.

Outline and Information (Breeding Pen and Incubator)

To produce an egg, you need two reasonably compatible pokemon of the same egg group. Your pokemon don't gain experience or happiness in the Breeding Pen; instead, the time spent while left here is going towards making an egg. It takes about this long to make an egg, depending on where your pokemon fit in the chart:

-Same Egg Group (Same Species) ~ One completed battle
-Same Egg Group (Different Species) ~ Two completed battles
-With Ditto ~ Three completed battles

However, if your pokemon is rarity five or above it takes about one extra battle to produce an egg. The rarity and species determined are by the female; if your pokemon is breeding with a ditto then the other pokemon determines both traits.

When an egg is made, you can either buy it (the cost is the rarity multiplied by two), or have the Center buy it; we'll pay that same price to you and the egg will be put in the Incubator.

If you do not have a ditto or another compatible pokemon, you can also pay for one of ours to produce an egg with one of your pokemon. If doing this, you must pay an additional $2 and you cannot sell the egg back to the Daycare.

Eggs take up a slot on your active squad and cannot be deposited into your PC until they are hatched. Eggs cannot hold items and cannot participate in battles. They will hatch when you finish a battle (that may have been started previously), and to redeem that you must come back to the Daycare Center. A battle may be used for training, breeding and hatching. You can choose the gender/ability of an egg.

Incubator Room

The place where all of the eggs are kept, the Incubator is a warm and cozy place colored mostly in brown and red; marigold curtains cover the windows to give just enough light. A large silver machine in the middle of the room houses all of the eggs and keeps them at just the right temperature; however, being kept in an artificial environment cannot help them hatch and as such they will need a trainer's help.

This time, a simple note is on what houses the eggs; even though the sides are transparent and the egg's design indicates well enough what pokemon is housed inside, the piece of paper lists the species for the unfamiliar.

Inventory

Every three weeks, old eggs will be removed and given to a new home somewhere else. In their place, different ones will be added. The selections are completely random, so either wait and try your luck or make sure to get whomever you want now!

- Spinarak Egg (R1)
- Taillow Egg (R2)
- Mawile Egg (R7)
- Pichu Egg (R3)
- Grimer Egg (R2)

---

League Daycare Center: now with added ditto prostitution??? The price for that seems a bit off but. I removed the waiting period for breeding, because it seemed rather vague and silly; a battle almost always takes longer than a week or so to finish, depending on rarity and such, and unless I'm misunderstanding something it doesn't really do anything to the business at all.

Also! Pathos suggested that as an incentive to ref, referees could include completed battles they were reffing in addition to completed battles they were battling in to redeem points/eggs. I like the idea, but what are your thoughts on that?

No, I don't train my customer's pokemon with knives unless they ask. That costs extra. Also my self-inserting skills are terrible (it was based off of Mai, anyway).

Please don't kill me, Negrek D:

Last edited:
Dark Dojo
(Also known as the Training Dojo)​

Description: Ah, welcome. You wish to train at the Dark Dojo, correct? Yes, that's what I thought. Is your pokemon not able to participate in a battle, or do you have no open slots left? The training dojo can train your Pokemon while you are in the middle of a battle. There are many ways to train. You could use your Pokemon and fight a dummy, which is pretty cheap. Or you could perhaps battle a real NPC. Or you could battle a gym leader. The choice is yours.

Now of course, the harder the challenge, the more you must pay. But the harder the challenge means more EXP. Let's start with the Dummy. The Dummy costs $15 to battle. The Dummy is electronic, so it is able to move around and might dodge an attack. The dummy is durable, so it has 125% of HP instead of usual 100%. The dummy won't attack you at all, so it needs no energy. Defeat the Dummy and you get 1 EXP point.

There are also NPC Pokemon you can battle. They are chosen at random, and will be a second stage Pokemon out of three stages. These are normal, so they have default 100% HP and 100% energy. These cost $30 to battle, and will give you 1 EXP if you lose, and 2 EXP if you win.

Want to battle a gym leader's Pokemon? You can here. Just specify which gym leader and which of their Pokemon you would like to battle and we'll give them a call to come down here. Of course, gym leaders are the elite people, so their Pokemon have 150% HP and 150% energy. It costs $45 to battle a gym leader's Pokemon, and gives you 2 EXP if you lose, and 3 EXP if you win.

EXP Given: 1 for Dummy. 1 for loss against NPC. 2 for win against NPC. 2 for loss against Gym Leader. 3 for win against gym leader.

Prices: $15 for Dummy. $30 for NPC. $45 for Gym Leader.

How do you hold the training? Well, that's simple! A ref or anyone with reffing experience holds it! Except for the dummy; which I'll be doing.

Oh god I hope this gets approved...

Last edited:
Basically handing out 1 EXP for $5? Well you'd get a ton of business but that's pretty broken. Also how would you pay the refs holding the training?

Basically handing out 1 EXP for $5? Well you'd get a ton of business but that's pretty broken. Also how would you pay the refs holding the training?

When profit comes in, I pay them part of the profit.

exp with basically no effort is on the no list.

the rest seems to step on the toes of blazhy and dragon's business a bit, too, but.

Their's battle legendaries and is a simulation. This is a dojo...:\

And I adjusted the prices.

The difference is only flavor, though. If you boil it down to the basics it's basically theirs without taking up a slot.

You're still charging $15--which is a pittance compared to what Candies are going for these days--for a single EXP point, one of the most valuable things in the League. And all they have to do is fight a dummy with 125% health and no attacks?

Also I'm not clear on what any of the other things are, exactly. You pick a Gym Leader and fight their in-game team? Which team? For instance, if I wanted to fight Lt. Surge, would I fight his RB team, his Yellow team, his HGSS team, or his HGSS rematch team? All of those Pokemon would be at 150% health and energy, but who would be commanding them? if that's what you wanted the refs to do, who's going to ref it?

Also at these prices, a match against an NPC--which could really be explained more, is it just any Pokemon you want to fight or what?--would give what, $10 to each staff? You, the ref and the NPC battler--but where's the overhead?

Only in Asber can you avoid showing up for the job ever since being hired and not lose it :D

Sweetie Belle: Dark Dojo

No.

The dummy is denied completely for being free exp for nothing. If you want to rely on non-you referees, you need to actually get some under your employ, but more importantly it doesn't sufficiently differentiate itself from Dragon's Den. You need to offer a different service.

Mai: League Daycare Center

what, the scrolls aren't flavoured with formal language D:

... I assume you removed the rule that you can't have the pokémon in your active squad and the daycare at once, allowing both participation and exp share abuse? (That was for "logic" rather than balance as far as I could tell, in any case. Probably a better business choice.)

I'd go with [exp]*([rarity] + 5) over [exp]*[rarity] + 5 however. Otherwise at some point res will put in a rarity one pokémon for a couple of years and come out with a million rare candies, having gotten a bunch of exp for about $1 each.

Wording of the breeding pen's prices bugs me, even if it's a relic - easier to just state in the text that they must be of the same egg group or with ditto. Ditto prostitution is approved in every way but morally. ($2 per egg and not flat, I assume.)

You'll need to find a way to discourage someone selling you the egg and then buying it back for less than they would have paid otherwise. Eggs being sold in the incubator had higher prices in the original; if you're doing the same, you need to specify.

While I like the ref idea only partially due to bias, it does widen the gap between refs and non-refs even further and encourages refs to pick up 1v1 battles (though the way the system works encourages customers to make 1v1 battles so that evens out? ... in a bad way). If anything, finishing reffing a battle should be worth half of a battle; it is more effort than actually battling, yes, but reffing already has its appropriate rewards. Meaning finishing battling someone and reffing two battles to completion is worth 1 exp, reffing four battles is worth 1 exp, etc. Probably with restrictions (e.g. reffing it the whole way through and never taking so long your pay was halved for a round) but you can figure those out.

Overheads will remain the same as Sable's.
Training, per exp: $2 + rarity / 2 for normal pokémon, $7 for fakes.
Egg redemption: Half of total cost, +1 if ditto prostitution is involved
Incubator (if you're going with Sable's prices): R1 $1 / R2: $2 / R3: $4 / R4: $5 / R5: $6 / R6: $9 / R7: $11 / R8: $13

Eh... don't really know if business price is supposed to match original start-up costs, but $45.

How about a business where you can make Aprijuice to raise stats? It could last (permanently?) for the entire battle, and people pay extra so it lasts an extra battle. The Attacks and Speed could be worth a bit more. Oh, and I almost forgot, it's only one stage and it's not cumulative.

A rough draft (no flavor text) would be something like:

Red (Spicy) Apricorn: Raises Speed. $7 one battle, $3 extra battle
Pink (Sweet) Apricorn: Raises Sp. Attk. $8 one battle, $4 extra battle.
Yellow (Sour) Apricorn: Raises Attk. $7 one battle, $3 extra battle.
Blue (Dry) Apricorn: Riases Defense. $6 one battle, $2 extra battle.
Green (Bitter) Apricorn: Raises Sp. Defense. $6 one battle, $2 extra battle.

I can has developing green light?

that and they go red/spicy/cool/attack, yellow/sour/tough/defense, blue/dry/beauty/spa, green/bitter/smart/spd, and pink/sweet/cute/speed, no?

I imagine something similar could be worked into body mods. consider, for example, this ancient thing.

... is that business still functional?

Yeah, those would be the more appropriate stats. But aprijuice is more power/stamina/skill/jump/speed, so the defensive stats don't match up.

The aprijuice is single-use, so it seems like it would be more like an item with something like "Consumed immediately upon being sent out, this [flavored] blend raises [stat] by one stage for the entirety of the battle," possibly with a frameshift involved. It wouldn't be permitted to not take up a slot of something because then someone could equip their pokémon with a body mod, move mod, item, and then further boost a stat for the entirety of a battle.

I don't think Icalasari still participates in ASB (he doesn't have an account), but since his input is not required, you could probably still buy stuff there.

So Dragon and I are complete derps and calculated the amount of EXP gained per battle incorrectly. May as well take the opportunity to change prices so they're actually scaled to the number of EXP you get...

ASB Central is mostly made up of various shops and stalls, all offering their businesses or trinkets that are of use to the battles that take place across , all some form of useful. A block or two away from the main Bank of TCoD, there is a rather faded looking plain red-brick building, a fresh coat of paint adorning the door and window frames. The services inside, however, seem to be desirable, from the display in the window. A large sign hangs over the door, and the name of the store is proudly painted in big bold letters.

Dragons' Den Simulations

In the window are various cutouts and models of dusty Pokemon, some appearing to be broken or falling apart. A few miscellaneous items litter the floor, and it appears the building's just been rented or sold to a new owner, or owners.

The inside of the store is much, much more decorated than the exterior. The first thing that would catch your eye is a larger, more impressive sign that reiterates the store’s name in a bold blue. Rising up from behind the sign is a dragon, with impossibly silvery scales and glowing blue markings. Its mouth is agape, showing several sharp teeth. After getting over your initial shock of seeing such a vicious serpent in such a small store, you’d realize it was just a model, held up by thin but strong strings dangling from the ceiling.

Around the walls are posters of shadowy outlines of Pokemon, with glowing eyes of various colours. A large amount of them seem to appear avian or have wings, though another good chunk of the Pokemon are quadrupeds or furry. Once you'd taken a good look around the store, the next thing you'd notice would be that it was next to empty. A few models of the Pokemon, in colour now, litter the floor and hang from the ceiling, though the whole place... is rather empty.

A curtain swings near the back of the store, and a girl in a longcoat with what appears to be bird wings on her back steps out. "Sorry to keep you waiting," she would say, and invite you into the back. "The front's just the waiting area. The back's where everything is!"

In the back of the store, you'd see two open doors that you pass by. Inside are two identical rooms, large enough to fit a Trainer and three large Pokemon comfortably. The walls, ceiling and floor appear to be covered in a thin coating of metal, and are scarred with burn marks, dents and other signs that these rooms have been broken in. The girl would disappear for a moment behind a counter, before reappearing to hand you a page outlining what the store did. It appears that the building houses simulator rooms that replicate battles with legendary Pokemon.

Outline of services:​
Easy run: $13
--> double: $23
Normal run: $15
--> double: $30
Hopeless run: $18
--> double: $38

Because this business is run by two people, only two simulations may take place at once. However, the battles are picked up right away by either Dragon or blazheirio889. Simulation battles are treated like normal battles so that they adhere by the normal command order, count towards one's battle limits, must use Pokemon from one's active squad, etc. No monetary prizes are awarded upon completion, however.

After completing a run, the simulators take a while to function again for the same person, so they cannot use the services again until two other battles have been completed.

Legendaries can either be fought on a plain field with no extra effects or their home stage, which have effects possibly to the advantage, or disadvantage of the Trainer. More on home stages in the next post.

A double battle may be fought with any combination of legendaries, on the basic stage or either of the legedaries' home stages.

Legendaries with multiple forms enter the battle with their default form. They can change their form at the beginning of a round starting from the second round, with the exception of Meloetta, who must use Relic Song to change forms. The change must be stated in the commands. The exception is Arceus, who may only change forms at the beginning of the fourth round, eighth round, etc. Genesect must choose a type for Techno Blast at the beginning of a battle, and that type remains for the rest of the battle.

If a Trainer passes the DQ time of 5 days without commanding their Pokemon, the simulation will shut down, and EXP will be given according to normal DQ rules.

Easy
Exp. Earned: 1 upon entering the battle, another 1 upon knocking out the Legendary; up to 2 in total and 4 in a double battle.
The Pokemon have 150% health and energy, and their attacks are randomized. However, the attacks (not the attack order) and targets can be manipulated by the commander (e.g. set a tree on fire with Flamethrower instead of hitting the opponent). Easy mode is a 1 vs 1 battle. In the case of a double battle, easy mode is a 2 vs 2.

Normal
Exp. Earned: 1 upon entering the battle (each), another 1 upon knocking out the Legendary; up to 3 in total and 6 in a double battle.
The Pokemon have 200% health and energy, and their attacks are controlled by either Dragon or Blazhy. Normal mode is a 2 vs 1 battle. In the case of a double battle, normal mode is a 4 vs 2.

Hopeless
Exp. Earned: 1 upon entering the battle (each), another 2 upon knocking out the Legendary; up to 4 in total and 8 in a double battle.
The Pokemon’s attacks are controlled by either Dragon or Blazhy. The Pokemon have 250% health and energy, and their critical rates are 10% instead of 5% (critical class moves have rates of 15%). Hopeless mode is a 2 vs. 1 battle. In the case of a double battle, hopeless mode is a 4 vs 2.

Normally I don't comment on business flavor, but the first sentence cracked me up a little bit. :P

Overheads $8/$15 easy, $9/$20 normal, $10/$25 hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom