• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Chaining

Erindor the Espeon

How do you do? Pleased to meet you. I'm Erindor.
So because I just barely got Platinum, as I'm a year and a half behind most of you, I recently discovered the joys of chaining. The wonderful feeling of getting to 39 ponyta... only to have it broken by the same machop that's destroyed me before.

So just post what you think about chaining, what you're experience has been, or if you've actually caught anything.

I did get a shiny ponyta, which was ponyta #42. Hitchhikers, you think about that.
I'm now attempting to chain Eevees or Dittos, which are conveniently located in the mansion's backward.

One time, I DID catch a shiny Shellos in the Valley Windworks, although at that time for some reason I didn't think that there was such thing as a shiny Shellos / Gastrodon. I evolved it, but I can't remember what I did with it...

Also, one time I was chaining Houndoom in Pearl, and my chain broke after 1. But the Pokemon that broke it was a shiny Houndoom I named Takibi :D

On the subject of shiny Pokemon breaking chains, a shiny Cascoon broke my Wurmple chain in Eterna Forest.

No shiny Pokemon for me, although I've had 45 Phanpy and 56 Pidgey. :(

I haven't gotten any shinies at all from chaining, unless Tauros #2 counts. Right now I'm aiming for a shiny Bellsprout or something, or just any shiny at all. I'm pretty good, but after the 33rd Togepi in my most recent chain, a Gloom broke it. :(

I want to chain, but I've never been very good (or tried very hard for that matter) in diamond, and I don't have the poke radar (poke radar :P) in platinum.

I just chained an Absol on Mt. Coronet, which is one of the hardest chains in the game (I think). The chain's still going. :D

The other shinies that I've chained are two Shinx (now Luxrays), an Eevee (now a Vaporeon), an Electrike (now a Manectric; got this one on the first try. At the end of the day it was swarming. About halfway through the chain the time passed midnight and I realized it was my only chance), and a Ponyta. I've gotten vastly better since I started chaining 40 hours ago (game-time).

Woot! I got a chain of 41 Beautifly and a shiny!! :D It was female, but I still called it Speedy.

My Speedy :)

Um... I'm not really sure how you're supposed to do it. No one's ever told me or anything. =( Is there a site or somewhere that details it or something?

From what I understand, you use the pokéradar thing to get a pokémon to appear, you defeat it, then go to the next one, etc., trying to get the same pokémon over and over again. However, I have never been able to chain much more than five in this way, and I've never gotten any shinies from it, nor do I understand exactly how this process can get you shinies... Can someone tell me please? =/

I've never really had the patience for the pokeradar, I normally get annoyed at waiting for the opportune wiggle and beak the chain v_v

The Matsuda Method on the other hand is perfect for a lazy guy like me. My japanese ditto is pretty much a permanent resident of the day care.

Although I once got a chain of 78 Shinx, just because I felt like it, I just barely got my longest chain yet time-wise and number of steps-wise. 15,000 steps, and I got 4 shiny Poochyenas. :D

I'd die of bordom. Chaining reminds me a little bit of when I went through a ton of cyndaquil eggs trying to breed one to be perfect to EV train for sp. attack. And I finally managed to breed one. C:

Most of that was probably off topic.

Well, to me, chaining is a test of your wits. You have to watch and calculate every patch of grass, the steps you take, and that breathstopping moment before the battle: Did I continue the chain?

Breeding pokemon seems much more dull.

I got to 27 dittos, my best for the species, and I ran one too over when trying to reset the pokeradar. D:

I don't think I said I was looking for shiny Beldum. But guess what: I didn't.

However the next day Phanpy swarmed and I got a shiny one at 9:30 PM :3 Her name is Marina~ Yay!

Can you save while chaining?

Anywho, I've never been very successful at chaining. It's too tedious.

@Ditto: Yes, like I just did because I got a shiny Dunsparce, but it won't save your place in the chain. Your chain will end if you turn off.

I've finally gotten to the point where chaining is 2nd nature to me, but that doesn't mean it's any less frustrating. I've caught a few shinies while chaining, all in Pearl because my Platinum is apparently bad luck, but haven't done much recently as I've been playing Blue and Crystal more often.

I think adding chaining to the game was a great idea. Shinies are still hard enough to get to be worth something special, but are no longer based solely on luck. Let's hope the Poke Radar has been introduced to Johto.

I've finally gotten to the point where chaining is 2nd nature to me, but that doesn't mean it's any less frustrating. I've caught a few shinies while chaining.

I think adding chaining to the game was a great idea. Shinies are still hard enough to get to be worth something special, but are no longer based solely on luck. Let's hope the Poke Radar has been introduced to Johto.

Yes and yes. In my opinion, chaining was a brilliant thing for the guys at GameFreak to add to the games, because chaining takes forever to do and even longer to get good at, along with being addictive to the same scale as little internet Flash games, which means that people will often spend insane amounts of time in the games.

It was also a good idea for the Pokémon crowd, because people like shinies and like having good methods of getting them.

And, of course, chaining will never stop being frustrating, due to the large number of obscure rules in it that will break your chain for seemingly no reason. NOBODY knows all the rules.

Not even the people who programed the game? Yikes!

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Back
Top Bottom