• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Civic Courtyard

With the adrenaline rush of the battle fading, the watchog guard (somewhat shockingly) defeated, and one of the Frankenmon checking on the stragglers for injuries, Kimiko felt a fog clear in her head, as though her newfound battle instinct was sated for the time being. For a group that hadn't even practiced coordination (and half of them being in brand new bodies), they had been surprisingly effective as a unit.

But then the sneasel addressed her, and Kimiko felt her good mood tank. She cast a somber gaze back at the fallen watchog again. She felt a drop of regret bubble up inside her; had she gone overboard in the heat of the moment? ...Were these guys official law enforcement they'd just beaten up? It's not like they'd killed them... but there were still a dozen ways this could come back to bite them in their collective ass.

No, they'd made their choice now whether she'd wanted to get involved originally or not. There was no taking that back. Whatever the consequences would be, it was a problem for later, when the rest of their allies weren't in danger.

With an expression of determination, she turned to the sneasel who addressed her. "I don't think so," she replied. "The last thing we need is for her to go bringing reinforcements. Or worse, reviving the other guards we just took down and chasing us. This battle isn't over yet."

Kimiko dashed passed him without waiting for a reply and made towards the mansion entrance to follow the bisharp guard, but stopped short and turned back to the sneasel, her voice a little softer. "Um, it was good thinking to try and talk her down, though."

Kimiko cast one final glance - thoughtful or concerned, who knew - at the fallen watchog, before turning and darting inside the mansion.

Sighing, Nova took a look around the courtyard. Namely at civilians who had stayed behind. "Everyone okay?" he called out. "If anyone has any injuries, speak up!"
Scattered onlookers had cautiously drawn nearer as soon as Bisharp Rin had left the entryway. Their expressions varied--an Azumarill avoided Nova's eye. A Staravia flinched and shrank away. A Skiploom stared at the aftermath of the battle in disturbed fascination. Still, a few others lit up with admiration, and a Pignite let out a snort and said, "Think we're all fine--far as I can tell, they was mostly attacking your group."

"I saw the guard strike first!" an old Phanpy chimed in. "Shameful, all of them."

"That was so cool!" a young Diglett called out.

Nova saw the scornful looks. His head dipped down reflexively. "Right. Well, sounds like the mayor didn't vet his hired guards all that well." The null shook his head. "But there are some bandits running around inside the manor. I suggest everyone goes home. No idea what could happen here."

Nova tensed up. It was time for another bluff.

"Listen up!" He crouched down. "You folks don't have much reason to trust me, but I've got some aura sensing thanks to this mask." Or, rather, Nova would if the blasted thing was off and he could go psychic. Close enough. "And it's picking up a wild aura in the mansion! Everyone needs to go home! We'll do our best to contain whoever it is!"

Nova didn't wait for any responses, but simply charged toward the mansion. Since he hadn't really attacked, he hadn't gotten hit. So Nova felt fine. Except for the sinking pit in his stomach about why he was fighting this way.

It's my choice. It's not His. It will never be His. Not while I'm here...

Kimiko dashed passed him without waiting for a reply and made towards the mansion entrance to follow the bisharp guard, but stopped short and turned back to the sneasel, her voice a little softer. "Um, it was good thinking to try and talk her down, though."

Silver winced, having detected a faint tone of annoyance. Crap, did I accidentally press some button?

“Um…” He scratched the back of his head, his feathers drooping. “Hey, huh, if I upset you… Hm, I’m sorry, okay? I was trying to mediate, and…” He groaned loudly. “Ugh! I’m so not good at this! I’m more action and less talk, y’see? So, huh, sorry again… Go ahead, I’ll catch up.”

Once the Snivy entered the manor, Silver glanced back at the same Watchog. Without thinking a second too many, he rushed back to the downed ‘mon and dripped the berry juice stuck in his kimono into her mouth.

“Get better soon,” he murmured, waiting for some reaction, before following his teammates.

[Ch02] The Friend of My Friend is... [Corey, Archie, Wes]
Hours of reading through small print eventually began to do a number on Corey's eyes, leaving him little choice but to take a break. He was tempted to just go back to his room, but it was beginning to feel stuffy in there after such prolonged durations... and frankly he could really use some fresh air. Such was the motivation that led him to the Civic Courtyard.

Though the rather... unpleasant events that took place within the nearby residence were still quite fresh in his mind, Corey could still find some solace in this small, precious park of green amidst all the dust, dirt and dryness. It was like finding a nice, shaded spot in Nimbasa after traveling northward through the sandy route 4 in Unova... Yes, perhaps he would do well to spend a little time in as nice an enviornment as this...

Finding a spot to sit, beneath the shade of a cottonwood tree, Corey stared up at the sky for a few moments before eventually closing his eyes and lightly dozing off.

Picture this. It’s a lovely day, and after a hard day’s work, a walk through the local park sounded lovely. Sure, Frontier Town’s Civic Park somewhat felt like it was also the mayor’s back yard, with the Empoleon’s mansion looming over it the way it did, but it was a tranquil place, with a nice fountain, some good shady trees, and a few benches that were actually on this side of comfortable. Archie had grabbed some food on the way back through town, wrapped it up in a small tablecloth, filled a flask with some Razz Berry juice, and he was planning to have a nice little personal picnic.

Only, when he arrived at the park, who did he find but Corey, passed out in the grass! Fearing the worst, Archie had scrambled to his friend’s side, full of worry… But it turned out the Ralts was just napping. Or that was what the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest suggested to the Oshawott at least. He seemed peaceful enough, and Archie didn’t want to wake him immediately if it wasn’t an emergency. So, instead, he set up his little picnic spread nearby, figuring this was as nice a spot as any other in the park. The Ralts would come around eventually.

It was a very pleasant time of day, with the late morning sun being pleasantly warm but not yet too hot. Wes hobbled into the courtyard in search of somewhere to briefly rest—if he went back to his room, he was so exhausted he may not be up in time to head out to the cabin with Alejandro.

Drungfield’s grumbles about him getting plenty of rest nagged at his mind, but Wes ignored it. There was too much to investigate, too much going on. And frankly, Wes had been restless and agitated ever since last night’s horrific encounter. Hard to relax when you knew something like that was out there roaming around…

The grass was pleasantly cool under his paws. Wes limped over near a tree and all but collapsed into the grass, his leg giving out when he tried to gently lower himself into a comfortable position. He growled and spat out a curse at the searing pain that flared up his spine. Sands, this injury was going to get old real fast.

He dropped his head to the grass with a huff and closed his eyes, too exhausted to notice the Ralts resting on the other side of the tree or the Oshawott setting up a picnic nearby.

It wasn’t too uncommon to hear other people in the park. It was maybe a little rarer for it to sound like they were specifically coming ones way when they were off the main path. Even with the grass somewhat muffling it, Archie could hear that there was something off, almost uneven about the footsteps. They continued right up to the other side of the tree Archie and Corey were currently set up on, and were followed by the much heavier sound of whoever it was collapsing.

Archie, naturally, pulled himself to his feet as soon as he heard that, and made his way around to the other side of the tree. There, who did he find but Wes, looking badly beaten! The Oshawott hadn’t seen the Rockruff since they’d all gotten ice cream together after defeating the mayor. That had only been a few days ago; what had happened to him in the meantime!?

“Wes!” Archie said, crouching down beside the blue dog and giving him a gentle shake, “Are you okay? What happened?”

Oh, for the love of—

He really should have known better to choose a public place for resting. Wes cracked open one eye with a growl ready in his throat, but his animosity fizzled out upon seeing that the concerned voice belonged to Archie.

He closed his eye again with a sigh. “M’fine,” he muttered wearily. He supposed he couldn’t deny the bandages wrapped around his leg, though, so he added, “I’ve had worse. Just need some rest, is all.”

He was about to leave it at that, but Archie’s wide, worried eyes nudged him to give a little more. Wes sighed again. Fine. Better to spread the word about last night’s events sooner rather than later, anyway. “It’s…a bit of a long story.”

The Oshawott frowned. The Rockruff most certainly didn’t look fine! Corey had said practically the same thing to him too. What was it with Archie’s friends and trying to downplay their serious injuries? Did people just not get hurt the same way in their universes as they did in his? Or was there something about him that attracted people with death wishes? At least Wes seemed to be responding okay to his questions. But, probably best for him to pick his battles, better not to risk Wes getting defensive and putting up walls when Archie was just trying to help.

“I’ve got plenty of time,” he replied. The Oshawott pulled the flask of berry juice from his coat pocket and offered it to the Rockruff. Razz berries made for a dry, somewhat spicy beverage, that had some kick without being alcoholic. Archie figured it might help stir some life back into the Rockruff. “Drink?”

With a light snort, Corey woke back up, having not expected to drift off so heavily like that... Fortunately judging by how daylight seemed pretty much the same, it appeared he hadn't been asleep for that long at all. Shutting his eyes tightly as he readjusted to the light, when he opened them back up again he noticed Archie and Wes were sitting nearby, the latter looking rather... beaten up... to put it lightly.

"The fuck happened to you?" he found himself asking abruptly.

Wes eyed the drink for a moment before deciding why not. He pushed himself upright and bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from groaning in pain, then accepted the offering with a grateful nod and took a sip, pleasantly surprised by the flavor. “Thanks.”

He then jumped and sputtered on his drink when a voice nearby spoke up unexpectedly. He snapped his head around and saw…was that Corey? Looking a little worse for wear in his many bandages.

“That’s a rich question, coming from you,” Wes blurted before thinking. “You’re not looking so great, yourself.”

A voice in the back of his mind screamed at him to shut up. Can you not go five seconds without making an ass of yourself? Wes grimaced a little. “I mean—sorry.” He took another sip of the spicy drink. “Like I said, it’s a long story, but the short of it is I—we, actually, a group of us—tried to investigate some of Ignatius’s shady dealings and…ran into some trouble.”

He glanced at both of them from the corner of his eye, unsure how they would react to his next question. “Ever heard of a Shadow Pokémon?”

Not the most graceful of entries, was Corey’s. Archie facepalmed briefly, but tried his best to rally quickly. The situation was still salvageable just as long as these two could keep from pissing each other off. The Oshawott resolved to run interference if needed, to keep these two from biting each others head off. Thankfully, it seemed for now Wes was more focused on his story.

As to the subject of that story, and Wes’s question of Shadow Pokemon. The Oshawott folded his arms, trying to rack his brain. Had he heard that term before? It had that slightest tinge of familiarity to it, but aside from that, it wasn’t triggering any memories. Archie shrugged, apologetically.

“I think I might’ve heard the term, but I don’t know anything about them,” he said, “Did one of those things attack you? Is that the trouble you mean?”

Corey looked about ready to angrily retaliate, but Wes did something he hadn't expected... He apologized. Furthermore there was a potent sensation of what he could only describe as self-anger coming from the Rockruff, as if he was... upset with his behavior? Truly this was a more complicated fellow than he let on.

"...Ah... y'know... s'alright..." Corey sheepishly replied. Might as well try to play nice, at the very least for Archie's sake.

When Wes went about explaining that he and the rest of a group who'd attempted to investigate the former mayor's corrupt activities had been waylaid in the process, and evidently quite violently so, Corey listened with a newfound concern. Upon being asked about 'shadow Pokemon,' he was about to say he'd never heard of such a thing, but he hesitated... He took a second and really thought it over... Something about that term was familiar.

"...Hold on... There were murmurs about something related to that a few years ago... I swear I heard something... They're essentially Pokemon who've been manipulated in some form to lack any and all feelings beyond pure untamed aggression, yes? I could be wrong, I'll admit... It's been so long since I last heard about it, and unfortunately the information was pretty scarce at the time, since the incidents involving them were off in some distant boonies somewhere."

Wes snorted. “Those ‘boonies’ are Orre. Where I’m from.” He paused. “Well, probably, anyway. I dunno what your universe looks like.” He wondered if Corey knew what became of the “incidents” he’d heard of, but judging by how vague his knowledge was, probably not.

“Anyway, you’re on the right track…I think. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what they are, either. Just that they’re really screwed up in the head. It can manifest in different ways, but the one thing in common is that it can make them violent. Mindlessly violent. And…a bunch of us happened to run into a Charmeleon that was exactly that last night. Killed the driver guy, and would have killed all of us, too, if something hadn’t somehow scared it off. Then Sonora and her crew showed up and got us out of there with, uh. These bizarre things called Escape Orbs, whatever the hell those are.” Wes hadn’t really had the time or presence of mind to fuss over those too much.

He swallowed, his mouth now dry upon recalling the sheer terror of it all. “It was one against six of us, and yet somehow it messed all of us up in one way or another. We barely made a scratch on it…”

He looked up at the cloudless sky. “I…still haven’t figured out what causes them to be like that back in my world, but I’m almost positive it’s something done by humans. Probably isn’t pretty, whatever it is. So the fact that Shadow Pokémon exist here is…really damn unsettling, to say the least. In about ten different ways.”

Pokemon manipulated into only being able to show aggression? Something human caused, that turned them mindlessly violent? The Orre region didn’t exactly ring any bells, but with how vague his memory was of his time spent before he’d wound up in his previous world, that could very well mean absolutely nothing. The way they unnerved Wes was what most caught Archie’s eye. But then, the Rockruff had just been through an encounter with one that left someone dead, and himself and likely others injured.

“Oh, Escape Orbs? Yeah, they’re handy little things,” Archie nodded, “It’s a Wonder Orb, Mystery Dungeons generate them, at least, in my world. They can do all sorts of things. Escape Orbs are basically like Teleport.”

Something was bothering him, though, about this whole story. They were attacked on the road, by an assailant that easily overpowered them. It killed one, but left the rest alive. Their attacker was a mindless, violent Pokemon, incapable of reason. But something scared it off? And then Sonora just happened to show up? And what were the odds of them running into such a creature on the road to begin with? Coincidences, or something more sinister? The Oshawott frowned, and folded his arms. He felt like he was picking at a thread here, but he wasn’t sure where it led, and he wasn’t sure if upsetting Wes further by asking him to relive the experience would be a particularly productive endeavor.

“These Shadow Pokemon,” Archie asked, carefully, “Can they be controlled? Will they follow orders?”

Wes considered for a moment, then shook his head. “No…not really. Not where I’m from, anyway. I mean, it varied from one mon to the next. But if any of them got pushed far enough, they’d just snap. There was no controlling them after that.” He shifted in the grass and suppressed a shiver despite the warm sunlight. “And that Charmeleon…as far as I could tell, it was definitely beyond anybody’s control, at least in that moment.”

"Strange... You'd think a creature in that compromised state might be easier to control, at least for a temporary period... but I suppose if a Pokemon is beyond any lucidity, they have no way of choosing to obey or disobey whatsoever... Nonetheless this is all beyond me, like I said, this incident happened in my world a while ago, and the coverage for it was rather limited... Suppose if you don't have an official Pokemon League people just don't care... It's hardly fair, but, that's the reality of it sometimes..." Corey muttered with a shrug.

"...That's beside the point though I'd imagine... the important thing is you all got back in one piece, right?"

Back
Top Bottom