• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[CLOSED] Watchmen: The Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aobaru

Floooooon!
Pronoun
he
WATCHMEN: The Mafia

Come, gather 'round, people, wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If you're time to you is worth saving
Then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times, they are a-changin'...

Watchmencharacters.jpg

RULES

(1) Basic "Mafia" rules apply. The Game will consist of a Night phase, wherein players with night actions send them in; and a Day phase, wherein players decide whether or not to lynch, or vote to kill amongst themselves in an effort to rid themselves of the Mafia.
(2) When a player is killed, by any means, their alignment (Mafia/Not Mafia) will be shown
(2) Only the three Mafioso (excluding Terrorist) and characters explicitly named may communicate with each other. Any illegal communication will result in disqualification.
(3) Unless otherwise stated: the Night phase will last 24 hours, and the Day phase will last 48 hours. I will not end the Day phase, even if a lynching consensus is reached.
(4) Mafia will win if they are the majority. Innocents will win if all four Mafia members are killed. Lovers' victory will result if they are the final two remaining players (though Lovers are technically Innocents, and they can win with them as well).
(5) There are a total of 15 roles. I will need a min. of 12 players before starting the game.

ROLES

NOTE: I know some of these may be totally OOC... forgive me!

Mafia

Ozymandias/Adrian Veidt ~ Mafia Don
Veidt is the CEO of Veidt Enterprises. He is secretly killing off masked heroes in order to frame Doctor Manhattan and stave off nuclear war. He believes his intentions, and killings, are just.
Every Night, Ozymandias and his goons will decide who to kill. Ozy has the final word. If he is killed, his Advisor or Bubastis becomes the Don.

Veidt Enterprises VP ~ Mafia Goon
The VP is Veidt's top advisor.
Every Night, Ozymandias and his goons will decide who to kill. If the Don is killed, his Advisor or Bubastis becomes the Don.

Bubastis ~ Mafia Goon
Veidt's mutant pet cat. Veidt can communicate telepathically with it.
Every Night, Ozymandias and his goons will decide who to kill. If the Don is killed, his Advisor or Bubastis becomes the Don.

The Comedian/Edward Blake ~ Terrorist
A nihilistic, ruthless, cynical, yet realistic, crimefighter. He has a warped sense of morality, but also a greater insight into what it means to be a costumed hero.
At any point in the Day phase, Blake can decide to take out himself and another person. His goal is ultimately a Mafia victory. If inspected by any of the detectives, or if killed at any point during the game, he will show up as Not Mafia.

Innocents

Doctor Manhattan/Jon Osterman ~ Healer
The only "superhero" in the bunch, Doctor Manhattan obtained control over matter (but not time) due to an accident at his laboratory.
Using his powers over matter, Doctor Manhattan can choose to protect one player every Night; they will be safe from death by the Mafia or Vigilante.

Nite Owl II/Daniel Dreiberg ~ Detective
An out-of-shape superhero who uses owl-themed gadgets he invents himself.
Every Night, he can PM the Moderator requesting whether or not a certain player is a member of the Mafia.

Nite Owl/Hollis Mason ~ Detective
A first-generation, retired superhero who actually enjoyed the experience.
Every Night, he can PM the Moderator requesting whether or not a certain player is a member of the Mafia.

Rorschach ~ Vigilante
A vigilante who operates outside of the law. He is convinced that society is morally bankrupt.
Rorschach does not believe that lynching is the best way to eliminate the Mafia; so, he decides to take matters into his own hands. Every night, Rorschach can decide to kill a player of his choosing. His goal should be to eliminate Mafia members, not innocents. (Rorschach is not of a separate alignment; he is aligned with the innocents and will win if they win.)

The Silk Spectre II/Laurie Juspeczyk ~ Roleblocker
An athletic superhero known for her relationship with Doctor Manhattan.
Every Night, she can choose one player and their night action will be nullified. (In order to stop a Mafia killing, she would have to choose the Mafia Don.)

The Silk Spectre/Sally Jupiter ~ Oracle
A first-generation retired superhero caught up in the old days. She gave birth to Laurie (Silk Spectre II) after having an affair with Edward Blake.
Every Night, she can ask the GM any yes-or-no question (so long as it doesn't directly reveal a role).

Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice ~ Lovers
Hooded Justice, the first masked superhero, and Captain Metropolis, the creator of the Minutemen, are secretly lovers. (This is actually true.)
After the characters are assigned, the players will be notified of the other's identity. They may communicate via PM at any time. They must work together to ensure their mutual survival, and their ultimate goal is to be the final two players left alive. If, at any point, one is killed, the other will commit suicide in grief.

Dollar Bill ~ Kidnapper
Dollar Bill may be the product of a publicity stunt, but people too often underestimate his crime-fighting prowess.
Every Night, Dollar Bill can choose to kidnap one player. They will be safe from death by any means, but will be unable to use their Night actions. If Dollar Bill is killed (Mafia, Vigilante), then both he and the kidnapped player will die.

Mothman ~ Bomb
A first-generation hero with a history of alcoholism and mental illness. He has somewhat of a short fuse. (No pun intended.)
If Mothman is targeted to be killed at Night (Mafia, Vigilante, but not lynching), he will take out his attacker and kill himself in the process.

The Silhouette ~ Voyeur
A first-generation hero who was outed as a lesbian and forced into retirement soon after.
Every Night, she targets a player and learns what was done to them that night (but not who did it).

This is only my second time GMing, so please forgive any mistakes I make. ^__^;; Let me know if there are any questions!​

Last edited:
Re: [Open] Watchmen: The Mafia

I do not really see how kidnapper and silencer are innocent while the terrorist is mafia.

also, is lover win condition to survive by themselves? if so, that's fairly harsh without any night abilities at all.

I do not really see how kidnapper and silencer are innocent while the terrorist is mafia.

also, is lover win condition to survive by themselves? if so, that's fairly harsh without any night abilities at all.

Aren't kidnapper and silencer usually innocent? Isn't terrorist almost always Mafia? 0.0 If you're implying the similiarity of the roles and them being on different sides, I was trying to assign roles to characters (not vice versa).

The lovers will win if they are the final two. I see your point, but I ran out of roles and it fit :\

with both lovers guaranteed to be useless, it might not be too bad to let them win by survival with innocents.

kidnapper and silencer impede lynching and are thus detrimental to the town.

with both lovers guaranteed to be useless, it might not be too bad to let them win by survival with innocents.

kidnapper and silencer impede lynching and are thus detrimental to the town.

So the only unique quality for the lovers will be for them to communicate with each other? I might as well just let them be regular townies. I don't see what's so bad about them just trying to reach the final two together.

I see what you're saying about kidnapper and silencer... maybe I should just let them (i.e. the kidnapped/silenced) cast their vote, but not participate in any other way? I don't know...

It doesn't look like anyone's going to be joining until the main domain is back up.

But then why even align lovers with the innocents in the first place? It's pretty standard to have them win with town around here, iirc; they just have an additional win condition on top of that (though the extra condition is usually to account for the fact that the lover is a single role who chooses its partner, and that partner may be mafia). I've won for the innocents as lover, for example--that communication came in pretty handy because in the end, when there were only three innocents left, it was relatively easy to talk through what we knew and figure out who not to lynch. Never underestimate the importance of communication in mafia games where it's otherwise not allowed.

It would be slightly different if you went with the more traditional mafia lover/innocent lover, because then having win conditions that are at odds with everyone else would make more sense anyway. I guess you can't really do that with the lover roles you've chosen, though.

I want to join because I love Watchmen but I really don't know that I'll have the time to keep up with another game right now. :/

Last edited:

But then why even align lovers with the innocents in the first place? It's pretty standard to have them win with town around here, iirc; they just have an additional win condition on top of that (though the extra condition is usually to account for the fact that the lover is a single role who chooses its partner, and that partner may be mafia). I've won for the innocents as lover, for example--that communication came in pretty handy because in the end, when there were only three innocents left, it was relatively easy to talk through what we knew and figure out who not to lynch. Never underestimate the importance of communication in mafia games where it's otherwise not allowed.

Okay, I'll have them win with the town then, unless they're the final two, in which case it will be a Lovers win.

Okay, I've switched around the roles a bit. Hopefully things are a little less anti-Innocents now.

I'll join, my game just ended, I like Watchmen, and the Buffy mafia hasn't been looked after.

The Silhouette ~ Voyeur
A first-generation hero who was outed as a lesbian and forced into retirement soon after.
Every Night, she targets a player and learns what was done to them that night (but not who did it).

If she was outed for being a lesbian, the way you worded her night action was just to pervy for me.

I want to be the lesbian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom