• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

COVID-19

i guess they’re saying it’s on the come down, so they’re loosening restrictions, which seems extremely silly to me. i feel like within a few weeks it’s going to surge again and they’re going to be sorry im sorry im trying to delete it. jacksonville beach is open again, even.
i left town to come stay with my family until this is all over. i can’t quarantine in my apartment because everything is broken and no one is coming to fix it and i’d have to leave my house regularly to do laundry and whatnot. it’s nice not having to worry about groceries tbh.
the government is saying that telework should be encouraged as long as possible even as stuff begins to open back up so i guess that’s nice (for me).

We’ve got a pretty good handle on things in Iceland by now. Most of those who have been infected have recovered and are recovering significantly faster than new cases are discovered, despite extensive testing of the general population (we’ve now done over 41,000 tests, for a population of 364,000). Restrictions are being loosened on May 4th.

i guess they’re saying it’s on the come down, so they’re loosening restrictions, which seems extremely silly to me. i feel like within a few weeks it’s going to surge again and they’re going to be sorry im sorry im trying to delete it. jacksonville beach is open again, even.
i left town to come stay with my family until this is all over. i can’t quarantine in my apartment because everything is broken and no one is coming to fix it and i’d have to leave my house regularly to do laundry and whatnot. it’s nice not having to worry about groceries tbh.
the government is saying that telework should be encouraged as long as possible even as stuff begins to open back up so i guess that’s nice (for me).
yeah didn't Florida reopen their beaches last night? honestly fuck DeSantis, sorry if this is too mean for tcodf but I think he's going to be responsible for a lot of deaths/permanent organ damages and just. ugh why!!!

I'm also back with my family now and it's so nice

yeah didn't Florida reopen their beaches last night? honestly fuck DeSantis, sorry if this is too mean for tcodf but I think he's going to be responsible for a lot of deaths/permanent organ damages and just. ugh why!!!
yeah... he was one of the more popular governors before all this but he has just bungled this so bad i feel like he's going to lose the next election no matter who he runs against. florida has just done such an absolutely terrible job about all this—he's had to be basically bullied into shutting things down and has been chomping at the bit to open them back up the whole time, and honestly i think it's really alarming that this is the state that decided to drop the ball so hard on all this considering the average age here is like 97. i'm not in florida anymore atm and the way people up here are behaving is so, so much different. most people will be safe, most of the time, if you tell them how!!! ugh.

yeah... he was one of the more popular governors before all this but he has just bungled this so bad i feel like he's going to lose the next election no matter who he runs against. florida has just done such an absolutely terrible job about all this—he's had to be basically bullied into shutting things down and has been chomping at the bit to open them back up the whole time, and honestly i think it's really alarming that this is the state that decided to drop the ball so hard on all this considering the average age here is like 97. i'm not in florida anymore atm and the way people up here are behaving is so, so much different. most people will be safe, most of the time, if you tell them how!!! ugh.
yeah meanwhile our premier Doug Ford was seeming like a Trump 2.0 but he's actually been doing a pretty good job of handling things here from what I've seen (amusingly I'm probably more currently on stuff going on in the US than in my own province). stuff is shut down, social distancing orders are actually being enforced (though not sure if this is actually provincial or municipal), he's been pushing for way more tests, etc.

yeah meanwhile our premier Doug Ford was seeming like a Trump 2.0 but he's actually been doing a pretty good job of handling things here from what I've seen (amusingly I'm probably more currently on stuff going on in the US than in my own province). stuff is shut down, social distancing orders are actually being enforced (though not sure if this is actually provincial or municipal), he's been pushing for way more tests, etc.
it's been so surreal to go from actively hating every word that comes out of his mouth to "oh... that's. reasonable!" for days... and then weeks. I honestly have had no complaints on how he's been handling provincial shutdown, he's been visibly upset about price gouging and scams, urging for more tests...

I do wonder if this will be a fundamental change in how he governs, and if he's seeing the value in all the systems he'd been cutting now that they are so desperately needed. perhaps it's idealistic of me to think that he'll change?? but it's nice to not feel trapped while the entire safety net is snipped away bit by bit from under us, and I'd like that to keep being a thing

A lot of people in my home state are very dissatisfied with the restrictions that my governor has imposed; they've been among the strictest in the country, but we have some of the most cases, so I could see how it could be warranted. Anyways, many people felt the restrictions were too.much and hurting the economy, so they staged a protest at the capital. It was supposed to be a protest with COVID in mind; people would stay in the cars, practice social distancing, and essentially gridlock the surrounding area. And y'know, even if I don't necessarily agree with these people, I can see how they might take issue with our restrictions and I respect their right to protest it. But of course that's not what happened; it evolved into people marching on the capital, no masks or any preventive measures, getting out MAGA gear and Confederate flags, and shouting "lock her up" (which doesn't even make any sense, bc I'm pretty sure my governor hasn't broken any laws recently). And when I heard that it honestly pissed me off: I don't see what's been achieved with this besides making the problem worse. It hasn't even really helped the point that they were originally protesting: I've heard the governor is even considering pushing back the stay-at-home order end date now because of this, and I've heard that some people that were there to protest the way they had intended are upset too, because this it makes them and their views a lot less credible now by association.

This is the same state that deemed WWE an essential business, just fyi

Texas is reopening (gradually) soon. so like WTF?

On top of that, if you're going to reopen at least reopen school so i can see other human beings again reeeee

the idea of anything reopening rn is just. mindboggling to me, it seems way too soon. especially with it pretty much confirmed that there'll be several waves of resurgence when restrictions relax

These are very strange times.

The governors are in constant battle with the president, a denialist asshat who infamously fired the health minister this week for insistently recommending quarantine. Surgical masks are out of stock, adding to the pile of problems of the underpaid, overworked and understaffed health professionals. A lack of ventilators is slowly becoming a big problem, and at least one of the states has been using a crazy round-the-world logistic operation to avoid having their newly-bought ventilators seized either by America or by the federal government, who’s been confiscating and rerouting them to places that seem more fit to their eyes.

The states that have a non-delusional governor are enforcing closure of schools (bar daycares) and non-essential business (whose murky state-dependant definition means that some places are leaving churches open) and recommending self-quarantine. The adherence, monitored by cellular geolocation data, has been subpar, though, with a falling tendence in the last week – which is related to the fact that around one third of the population rabidly defends and stands by whatever the president says, above all evidence, facts and odds. Some cities have gone to the point of enforcing mandatory quarantine and imposing fines to those who break it, and sometimes even barricading inbound roads to prevent circulation.

There are few things that are consistently missing from the market: hand sanitizer and masks, which people are panic-buying, and flour and sugar, because of the sharp rise on the number of people who bake their own breads and cakes at home. Still, the latter two can still be found in most markets (yet almost solely in no-name brands with inflated prices), and there’s virtually no product you can’t find in Asian markets. Even then, some supermarkets are limiting the maximum quantity per buyer of some other well-sought items: bleach, raw beans, tomato sauce and alcohol. Some markets are price-gouging and some others are not, yet some products have gone pricier due to increased demand – especially foodstuff for preparation at home.

Last edited:
I might as well mention that i'm playing pokemon go next month......and my signature on one forum is this (in honer of it pretty much):

Fan of catching things.....That aren't called 'corona'

Yeeeeah....Sometimes i have to make jokes about things so they bother me less xP; the corona times are rough and a bit triggering for my autism o_o; can't say you could blame me for saying that.....

I do have a great deal of sympathy for the poor PR people at every single disinfectant manufacturer who must have been told something like "Hi, we need you to draft a press release telling people not to inject bleach, as quickly and professionally as possible"...

IndigoEmmy, sorry, I didn't realise you were musing about whether people were actually following Trump's "advice", I thought you meant the statement itself. Which definitely did happen in real life. Unfortunately.

Oh i do know it happened irl which is AWFUL. I really hope nobody drinks bleach. I'm pretty sure the survival rate for drinking bleach is > 0

pennsylvania admin is planning on gradually reopening things in a couple weeks' time. even if i think it's too soon, i have to be kind of grateful that our governor's at least being more careful about it than other states'. still. there is something distinctly disheartening about reading the puuure vitriol in his, like, twitter replies (which are 25% people going "stay closed!" and 75% hicks angry about the Unconstitutionality! and the Economy! and golf, for some reason?)

Back
Top Bottom