• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

cussing

As for censoring on TV, I think it has just the intended effect, if not more. If someone is trying to say something and uses a swear word just for emphasis, the high-pitched noise you hear in place of it seems to draw even more attention than the word itself. Using it in writing is quite different. It's like the person using asterisks simultaneously wants to vent their frustration but doesn't want to say the actual word.

by censoring cuss words, i ment things like saying freaking and crud and arse instead of the real cuss word.

I feel like 'arse' is kinda different, though! it's kind of comical cussing, you wouldn't hear it used seriously much, but I also feel like it's simultaneously more obscene than 'ass'! I mean seriously you guys say that all the time.

I don't swear all that much! Mostly just for emphasis when I'm in a good mood. Also for emphasis in, like, an argument, & it's pretty annoying when people derail it to be shocked at the swearing. It's actually just a really good method of trying to express when something's really important to you so it's hardly like I'm trying to be malicious ?_?

yeah I curse a lot but pretty much because I'm passionate about a lot of things and I get angry quickly at a lot of things :/

I don't see anything wrong with cursing and it honestly bugs me a lot when people say things like "cursing is proof that their vocabulary is lacking and they are not intelligent" because I have heard that directed at me why would you say that that's mean

yeah I curse a lot but pretty much because I'm passionate about a lot of things and I get angry quickly at a lot of things :/

I don't see anything wrong with cursing and it honestly bugs me a lot when people say things like "cursing is proof that their vocabulary is lacking and they are not intelligent" because I have heard that directed at me why would you say that that's mean
I get that a lot too (because boy do I swear a lot in Swedish). I usually point out to people that my vocabulary contains lots of swear words they'd never think to use and is therefore more extensive than theirs.

I get that a lot too (because boy do I swear a lot in Swedish). I usually point out to people that my vocabulary contains lots of swear words they'd never think to use and is therefore more extensive than theirs.

fy fan you need to teach me some of these awesome Swedish curses

but yes I think it's pretty unjustified to get all self-righteous about someone swearing when you don't because ... that is probably all you know about that person? it's just really irrational and obnoxious frankly.

I direct all to this for Stephen Fry's support.

I feel like 'arse' is kinda different, though! it's kind of comical cussing, you wouldn't hear it used seriously much, but I also feel like it's simultaneously more obscene than 'ass'! I mean seriously you guys say that all the time.

Wrong. So, so wrong. 'Arse' is the only correct form. Who has been teaching you this tripe, young one? It's okay, I'm here to clutch you to my bosom and teach you all the wonders of the world.

something something colours of the wiiiiind.

Are you sure Scottish people don't have some antiquated dialectal form which is actually a lot COOLER?

i swear all the time

people don't expect it coming from me but it's just a normal part of my vocabulary. i am careful about not doing it in front of adults that aren't my parents (yes, i drop f-bombs around my parents all the time and they don't care) but otherwise i just don't care. i don't often do it when writing except for emphasis, but when I'm writing informal fanfics in which the characters are me and my friends or the fic is intentionally meant to be more mature, then dialogue often contains other characters swearing, not as much as I do but mostly for effect.

yesterday i had an (extremely childish) guy on the marching band staff whom i've known for two years apologize for saying "shit" in front of me because "you haven't seen this side of me before." my response was "what? have you never heard me swear before?!" my sophomore year i got the sweareon paper plate award because i said "move the fuck back" and everyone was like "IT TALKS! AND IT SWEARS TOO!" so yeah.

i don't use cunt though.

I swear fairly often, though I try to avoid it around my parents

Not because it's disrespectful, but because every time I let an f-bomb slip they make fun of me for weeks

My parents are weird about swearing. My mum did it loads when we were kids but I just know I could never ever do it ever in front of her ever. ?_?

Once we were ~friends on facebook~ and I swore in a status, so she basically made passive-aggressive jabs at me for like several days about it. Why... ... ...

I will admit I swear pretty freely. I personally do not find swearing that offensive, I guess since it is used so frequently. It's similar to someone who says "Thank you" for everything; since they use it so often and for the most minuscule things, it looses its meaning when they really mean it.
Something that REALLY gets on my nerves though is when people use the first letter of a curse word as a substitution for it. For example, I have a friend who instead of just saying "Oh, she's such a bitch," she will say "Oh, she's such a B."
I'm not sure why, but that just annoys me |:

Because they came from swearing-is-a-scandal households? I mean, I sort of did and turned out fine, but. Also because think about the children!!.

Back
Top Bottom