• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Darksong vs. Superbird

Severely burned, up to two more rounds {3% damage/round, speed -1, attacks requiring moderate movement take 2% more energy, attacks requiring vigorous movement inflict 1% damage on the user and do 1% (absolute) less damage, attacks putting any amount of pressure on any part of Drillbud's body do 2% (absolute) extra damage.
This is a bit much. Burns deal damage and reduce physical attack; that's about it.

Alright, I've changed the figures a bit. The end numbers are still the same, however; I doubt anyone'd want to change their commands.

Pre-round
Drillbud was scared about this round. She had barely gotten to know his trainer, and he was expecting her to suicide? Well, he did have no use for her now, but...

She sighed. If that was what it took to win the battle, so be it.

Echo stood near Drillbud because of the heat radiating off the iron cone. She rubbed her hands together, longing for a cup of hot chocolate. Drillbud did not like the notion of being used as a heating element, but was too depressed about the present and imminent pain to get up again.

The referee finally finished with the calculations and signaled each of the Pokémon to be ready for the next round. Echo refocused, and Drillbud rolled back up. Each went back to their starting positions.

Pokémon

Darksong
Active
Cubone
Echo
Cubone with ability LightningRod
Health:22%
Energy:63%
Condition: Seeded.
Rain Dance ~ Double Kick ~ Brick Break

Superbird
Active
Ferroseed
Drillbud
Ferroseed with ability Iron Barbs
Health:12%
Energy:43%
Condition: Attack +2, Iron Defense Defense +6, Moderately burned, up to two more rounds {3% damage/round, attacks requiring vigorous movement do 1% (absolute) less damage}, Substitute - 10%
Explosion/Seed Bomb/Chill~Explosion/Seed Bomb/Chill~Explosion/Seed Bomb/Chill

Round 5 begin!
Echo looked at her trainer one last time. Was she crazy? How could she do rain dance? She tried awkwardly, but not a single drop fell from the sky.

Drillbud felt the incredible pain of melting already. However, this would be but a fraction of that which she would experience when she would actually explode. She held on for a moment more, then, when she thought she couldn't take it anymore, she sprinted, uncharacteristically for a Ferroseed, to Echo, who tried to get out of the way. She slipped on some of the seeds, producing enough time for Drillbud to catch up. The last thing Echo saw was a sad, pained face.

Round 5 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations
Action 1
Rain dance: Failed
Explosion: 25% damage... does the energy really matter? But it's 10%.

Pokémon

Darksong
Active
Cubone
Echo
Cubone with ability LightningRod
Health:0%
Energy:63%
Last thoughts: I hope my bone doesn't get charred too badly
Condition: Knocked out
Failed

Superbird
Active
Ferroseed
Drillbud
Health:0%
Energy:33%
Last thoughts: If it helps...
Condition: Knocked out
Explosion

Notes:
  • Cubone can't learn Rain Dance.
  • No critical hits, not that it really matters.

Postround:
Superbird felt guilty. It was true, he had never advised Drillbud against suicide before. And for a shy Pokémon that he barely got to know... it could have left a bad impression. He dared not approach ground zero; instead, he just recalled his Pokémon in his premier ball.

Darksong's Echo had been blasted several metres off of ground zero, so that she was now on the passenger deck a few metres north. She climbed onto the upper level and checked that Echo's bone was alright. The Cubone gripped it in her hand. It was a bit burnt, but that was fine. He picked her up and recalled her into her Pokéball. Then, with the assistance of Superbird, she got back down onto the main level.

The referee coughed and asked, "Would you like to battle on the upper level instead?"

Next round:
  1. Superbird sends out and requests a level
  2. Darksong sends out and commands and either confirms or rejects the request. She has the final say as she is the maker of the challenge.
  3. Superbird commands
  4. I ref

Last edited:
Either way, Cubone can't learn Rain Dance, so the results would've been the same.

Thanks, Drillbud. Don't worry about it—just talk to Gorouna about it.

Okay, Elera, you're up! And as for which level, I'd be fine with anything. Darksong's choice.

Wow, really? o_o...

Anyway. I think we should move to the upper level. And it looks like moves such as Rock Slide won't work here, so I'll save Sunaero for later and send out Prince.

Okay, so Prince, it doesn't look like Mud Sport is possible here, so we'll just have to be creative. Begin with Aqua Ring, then use Scald, and finish off with Facade if you've been paralyzed somehow, and another Scald if you haven't. If the Joltik protects on one of the last two actions, use Agility instead.

Aqua Ring ~ Scald/Agility ~ Scald/Facade/Agility

@Negrek: Then you may want to edit the attacks and abilities guide; it gives an accuracy of 90. But you're right, Superbird, Cubone can't learn Rain Dance, by any method.

All right, Elera! Let's start out with a Toxic to cancel out that Aqua Ring. After that, use Charge Beam twice.

Toxic ~ Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam

Pre-round

The referee teleported to the upper deck in a way only referees can, right to where the person who was always trying to find the centre of the bridge always stood. He helped the two contestants up and drew up a new court. This elevated pedestrian walkway was much narrower than the road, but still had ample space to fight, just not sideways. Superbird tossed a ball. From it emerged a cute, fuzzy spider which was the subject of a certain administrator's obsession. Elera let out a cute little squeak and took his position.

Darksong bent down and reached out his hand to pet him; it got zapped and she hastily withdrew it. She thought for a moment and picked a regular, unadorned Pokéball. She threw it elegantly while doing a pirouette. A Pokémon matching the colours of the bridge emerged, crying out its species name a few times. The referee went and checked the two Pokémon, and then signaled for the round to start.

Pokémon

Darksong
Active
Piplup
Prince
Piplup with ability Torrent
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Aqua Ring ~ Scald/Agility ~ Scald/Facade/Agility

Superbird
Active
Joltik
Elera
Joltik with ability Compoundeyes

Round 6 begin!

Elera couldn't stay still with the anticipation of the battle. He launched from his mouth a toxin mixture. Pipulp couldn't avoid that, especially with the increased accuracy, with the special composition of Joltik's eyes. He tried to brush some goo off, but it just clung to his hands. Sighing, and hoping to counteract some aspects of that, he set up a shield of water which replenished his skin and brushed off some toxins.

Elera focussed his considerable amount of energy into charging a beam of electricity which he then fired at the water-type. It did not raise his Special Attack as it characteristically would, but it did strike Prince, who got knocked back a metre or two. He stood back up and produced from his body some hot water and threw it toward Joltik. It matted Joltik's fur, making him considerably less cute (or more cute? That's for you to decide). Aghast at this reduction in attractiveness, he fired another electric beam, this time with more force than the last. Prince braved it, then shot another round of hot water at the electric spider, who got burned in the mess. He suddenly felt somewhat uncomfortable and light-headed as the poison slowly did its work on his system.

Round 6 end!

Action 1
Toxic: 4% energy
Aqua ring: 3% energy

Action 2
Charge Beam: 9% damage, 4% energy
Scald: 9% damage, 6% energy
Aqua ring: +1% health

Action 3

Charge Beam: 11% damage, 4% energy
Scald: 9% damage, 6% energy
Aqua ring: +1% health
Badly Poisoned: 2% damage
Burn: 1% damage

Pokémon

Darksong
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:80%
Energy:85%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {2% this round, 3% next. Capped at 10%}
Aqua Ring ~ Scald ~ Scald

Superbird
Active
Joltik
Elera
Health:81%
Energy:88%
Condition: Sp. Attack +1, Severely burned {1%/action, Attacks requiring even moderate movement (Tackle, Slash, etc.) do 2% less damage}

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Charge Beam did not raise Special attack the first time, but did the second
  • Scald did not burn the first time, but did the second

Next round:
  1. Superbird commands
  2. Darksong commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
It's OK, Elera! You're still just as cute as ever!

Okay. Let's start the round with Thunder Wave. If it misses the first time, keep trying until it doesn't. However, if the Piplup does anything that would prevent it from working or hitting, then go with Charge Beam—even if it protects. And if it's already paralyzed, then just go Charge Beam all the way.

Thunder Wave/Charge Beam x3

Okay, so let's think. How about you just use Protect first, then quickly use Bide and store energy the first action, and unleash energy the second action.

Protect ~ Bide (storing energy) ~ Bide (release energy)

Pre-round

The clouds above were thinning. Elera, was shaking, not in anticipation, as he was at the beginning of last round, but of cold. Yes, she was burnt, but already frost was forming on her fur, making it even more matted (Remember the last time you went snowboarding or skiing without a toque or helmet?). Superbird reassured him that the white of the frost went along very nicely with the yellow of his fur. Trusting him, he stopped shivering and faced the opponent. This, however, was not reciprocated.

Prince looked at the suspension towers. They were painted a powder blue, not unlike Piplup's color, just a shade lighter. He looked at the lights strung along the top of the bridge. They were white, unlike the eerie green streetlights on the walkway and the roadway.

The referee scribbled furiously on a pad, then bade both Pokémon take their places. He checked his work briefly before signalling for the round to start.

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:80%
Energy:85%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {3% this round, 4% next. Capped at 10%}
Protect ~ Bide (storing energy) ~ Bide (release energy)

Superbird(XOO)
Active
Joltik
Elera
Health:81%
Condition: Sp. Attack +1, Severely burned {1%/action, Attacks requiring even moderate movement (Tackle, Slash, etc.) do 2% less damage}
Thunder Wave/Charge Beam~Thunder Wave/Charge Beam~Thunder Wave/Charge Beam

Round 7 begin!

Prince quickly set up a barrier of a green similar to that of the mercury lights. Elera, upon seeing that, prepared a Beam of electricity; she knew it wouldn't hit, but the special attack boost might come in handy. He fired it at the shield, to waste Prince's energy. The ring of water around Prince matched rather prettily with the green of the Protect.

Prince let down the greenish barrier of Protect and emanated a red aura. Elera, able to hit Prince with her Thunder Wave now, did so; it went right through the Aqua Ring and hit Prince, producing no visible effects.

Elera, oblivious to what would happen if he attacked now, fired up another Charge Beam and directed it towards the Penguin. As soon as it hit, the aura intensified and became more opaque. Almost immediately, Prince charged towards Elera surrounded by a sphere of pure force - before his muscles refused to cooperate with him and he fell flat on his face.

Round 7 end!

Action 1
Protect: 5% energy
Charge Beam: 4% energy
Aqua Ring: +1% health

Action 2
Thunder Wave: 3% energy

Action 3
Charge Beam: 4% energy, 15% damage
Attempt at Bide: 6% energy
Toxic: 3% damage

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:65%
Energy:74%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {3% this round, 4% next. Capped at 10%}, Severely Paralyzed (25%)
Protect ~ Bide (storing energy) ~ Paralyzed

Superbird(XOO)
Active
Joltik
Elera
Health:78%
Energy:77%
Condition: Sp. Attack +3, Moderately burned {1%/action, Attacks requiring vigorous movement (Tackle, Extremespeed etc.) do 2% less damage}
Charge Beam~Thunder Wave~Charge Beam

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Both Charge Beams raised Elera's Special attack.
  • Since Prince didn't really "Bide his time", I made it so that it would have only done 1.5x the damage of the stored energy. But he was paralyzed, so it doesn't really matter.

Next round:
  1. Darksong commands
  2. Superbird commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
Oh, man, REALLY? Both of my ASB battles are being frustrating... I guess I could do that. Prince, just use Frustration and then Facade, and finally use Surf.
(If your foe protects on one of those actions, use Agility instead.)

Frustration/Agility ~ Facade/Agility ~ Surf/Agility

Last edited:
I'll assume you mean Rest as in Chilling, rather than the move, because the move counts as direct healing.

Oh... really? Thanks, I'll fix that. (No wonder this is being frustrating, I'm STILL not very good at this!) xD

All right, Elera. Let's go high risk/high return, use Swagger, and while you do that I'll go build an RNG shrine. Then, let's go and Thunderbolt[/b[ just so we can get as much done as possible before...we Volt Switch, which thereby ends the round and prevents Prince from resting. Oh, and I will switch in Neitelo.

Swagger ~ Thunderbolt ~ Volt Switch(Neitelo)

Pre-round

Prince tried to relax, but couldn't. Why must the RNG's forsake him? The battle was going downhill very quickly, and it was all because of some stupid generated numbers. He got up and brushed some dirt off of himself, then sat dejectedly on the rail.

On the other hand, Elera was congratulating himself on a job well done. He forgot entirely about the cold and the burn, and was prancing around like a pixie fairy, distracting the referee while he punched numbers into a calculator. The calculator froze in the middle of a calculation and refused to turn off, leaving the number 7 on the screen, even when he pressed the off button multiple times. The clock on the calculator, strangely, was working without a hitch. The referee, having no screwdriver handy, did the calculations manually. A few minutes later, his calculator turned off by itself, and when the referee turned it back on, it was working again. Strange.

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:65%
Energy:74%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {4% this round, 5% next. Capped at 10%}, Severely Paralyzed (25%)
Frustration/Agility ~ Facade/Agility ~ Surf/Agility

Superbird(XOO)
Active
Joltik
Elera
Health:78%
Energy:77%
Condition: Sp. Attack +3, Severely burned {1%/action, Attacks requiring even moderate movement (Tackle, Slash, etc.) do 2% less damage}
Swagger ~ Thunderbolt ~ Volt Switch(Neitelo)

Round 8 begin!

Elera, feeling quite confident, dashed up to Prince, who was still very depressed. "What's up?" He asked. "RNG's got you down? What's that? Not feeling well because of the poison? Well, you do look a little purple."

Prince channeled his frustration into energy, and was about to take Elera down with this, when the world suddenly seemed to go upside-down and he punched and kicked the hard cement ground instead of the soft electric spider.

Elera, chuckling at his fortune, summoned a bolt of lightning from the sky. It hit Prince while he was still struggling to get up and tossed him roughly to one side. Prince, frustration now at its maximum, kicked, punched, and slashed the fuzzy spider, who countered with a huge ball of electricity. It blasted both parties away from each other, Elera conveniently landing next to Superbird, who withdrew him into his Pokéball at once. He then tossed out a Quick ball. Neitelo emerged, with a few quiet chirps, as she started evaluating her surroundings. Meanwhile, the referee put his left hand on Prince and healed him quite a bit.

Round 8 end!

Action 1
Swagger: 3% energy
Confused: 5% damage to self, 6% energy

Action 2
Thunderbolt: 22% damage, 5% energy
Facade: 16% damage, 6% energy

Action 3
Volt Switch: 0% damage (Would have done 13%), 4% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:40%
Energy:62%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {4% this round, 5% next. Capped at 10%}, Very Severely Paralyzed (33%),Severely Confused (25%), Attack +2
Confused ~ Facade

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Natu with ability Synchronize
Status: Already thinking about the different ways with which she can win this battle

Reserve
Joltik
Elera
Health:60%
Energy:65%
Condition: Mildly burned {1%/action}
Swagger~Thunderbolt~Volt Switch

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Damage sustained by Prince reached the damage cap.
  • The RNG's seem to appreciate your sacrifice, Superbird
  • Because you paralyzed Prince again, I upped the paralysis rate to 1/3.
  • I'm almost certain I've made an error somewhere in this reffing.
  • Anybody have the same calculator problem as me?
  • Also, 100th post!

Next round:
  1. Superbird commands
  2. Darksong commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
All right, Neitelo. Let's start with a Power Swap, to get Prince out of that little Attack boost right there. If for some reason it does something that will make Power Swap not work, then use Calm Mind instead. After that, if Prince uses a physical move that would be neurally or super effective on itself, use Me First; Elsewise use Featherdance and then Zen Headbutt. If it protects in any way on actions 2 or three, default to Calm Mind.

Power Swap/Calm Mind ~ Me First/Featherdance/Calm Mind ~ Me First/Zen Headbutt/Calm Mind

Okay, Prince, let's keep it simple. Begin with Frustration. Then use Icy Wind, and finish off with Ice Beam.

Frustration ~ Icy Wind ~ Ice Beam

Pre-round

A light breeze began to blow from the North. It would be even colder tomorrow if the wind didn't change direction. Neitelo paced the arena, estimating its dimensions. She stared at the moon and tried to place a name to the color. It wasn't pure white, but wasn't exactly gray either. It also lacked the luminance of sliver. The closest color would be off-white, she decided. But the moon didn't have the yellow portion of off-white.

Prince sat on the handrail, looking at the ground. The cement proved uninteresting, so he lifted his head up. Even though clouds covered part of the sky, their number was more than sufficient for Prince to count. He traced some constellations, though he always though that they were completely random, and that one could see what one wanted in the agglomeration of stars.

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:40%
Energy:62%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {5% this round, 6% next. Capped at 10%}, Very Severely Paralyzed (33%),Severely Confused (25%), Attack +2
Frustration ~ Icy Wind ~ Ice Beam

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Power Swap/Calm Mind ~ Me First/Featherdance/Calm Mind ~ Me First/Zen Headbutt/Calm Mind

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 9 begin!

Neitelo closed her eyes and prodded into Prince's mind. She found there the burning desire to defeat Elera. She took that thought and transferred it into her own mind, modifying the target of the aggression before closing the link. Prince, feeling that, got angry. Gathering the tremendous amounts of stress and running to Neitelo, he felt the familiar dizziness, but went ahead and tried to punch and kick Neitelo anyways. However, he felt his muscles lock and fell on the ground uselessly, muscles too paralyzed to even permit him to cry.

Snickering condescendingly, Neitelo produced some feathers and sent them drifting slowly around Prince, who felt the soft down and relaxed a lot. He felt the paralysis loosen, brushed some feathers off of him, and fired a small concentrated beam of air even colder than the current conditions. It coated Neitelo with a thin layer of frost, not restricting movement in any way, but slowing her down a bit.

However, that bit did not seem to bring her below the speed of Prince, as she struck first with a Psychic-powered strike. It sent Prince flying a couple of metres. Just then, Prince took on a blue glow and looked significantly tougher. He picked himself up, or at least tried to. He had no sense of direction. It would have been quite amusing to see Prince try to get up as he rolled around on the walkway, eventually falling down onto the primary level of the bridge. The referee called an end to the round and teleported the unlucky Piplup back up.

Round 9 end!

Action 1
Power Swap: 4% energy
Attempt at Frustration: 6% energy

Action 2
FeatherDance: 3% energy
Icy Wind: 6% damage, 6% energy

Action 3
Zen Headbutt: 11% damage, 5% energy
Attempt at Ice Beam:5% energy, 2% damage to self
Badly Poisoned: 5% damage

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:25%
Energy:45%
Status: Trying to remember the last time he attended a meeting of the cult of the RNG
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {5% this round, 6% next. Capped at 10%}, Very Severely Paralyzed (33%),Attack -2, Moderately Confused (20%)
Confused and Paralyzed ~ Icy Wind~ Confused, Torrent activated

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:94%
Condition: Attack +2, Speed -1
Power Swap~Featherdance~Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Ice Beam did not freeze
  • Zen Headbutt did not cause flinching
  • I ref speed modifications as 28.01 points per level. This number is the standard deviation of the set of the speeds of all Pokémon.
  • Prince was both paralyzed and confused on action 1. I imagine that he was going to hurt himself, but got stopped by the paralysis.
  • Better step up your sacrifices to the RNG's, Darksong.

Next round:
  1. Darksong commands
  2. Superbird commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom