• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Darksong vs. Superbird

Are you KIDDING me?! How do I get out of THIS? Prince, use Agility until it works to loosen up your muscles a bit, then go all-out with Hydro Pump, unless the foe Protects, in which case use Agility again.

Agility ~ Agility/Hydro Pump ~ Agility/Hydro Pump

(Sacrifices to the RNG? Like that?)

Last edited:
Sorry Darksong, I forgot about Prince's Torrent; if you want to change your commands, go ahead.

...Loopholes! =D

Okay, Neitelo. I want you to match Prince's Agility on the first action. Then, Double Team on the second action (let's go with 5 clones) and Zen Headbutt on the third.

Agility ~ Double Team(5 clones) ~ Zen Headbutt

Last edited:
I already wrote my reffing >.<

No worries though, I'll update it in accordance with the edit. No more changes, however, after this point, please. I'll start tonight and finish tomorrow morning (PDT)

Last edited:
Nevermind, then. Basically, I think the rule for that is that if the second commander edits then the ref does whatever they want, and can continue with either command string. Sorrt for the trouble...

Pre-round

While another Royal Unova passed underneath the bridge, this time thankfully without all of the commuters, the two trainers passed on commands to their Pokémon. Prince started warming up, while Neitelo, confused, stood looking blankly at Superbird for a minute. She could attack with Fly? Really? She flapped her stubby appendages, but could only attain about ten feet of altitude, then crashed of exhaustion, to the amusement of everyone except for Superbird and Neitelo. The referee stepped up onto the platform, and pulled out a flag. Finally, Superbird realized his mistake; yelling, "Wait!", he ran up to Neitelo and passed a new set of commands.

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Piplup with ability Torrent
Health:25%
Energy:45%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {6% this round, 7% next. Capped at 10%}, Very Severely Paralyzed (33%),Attack -2, Moderately Confused (20%), Torrent activated
Agility ~ Agility/Hydro Pump ~ Agility/Hydro Pump

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Natu with ability Synchronize
Health:94%
Energy:88%
Condition: Attack +2, Speed -1
Agility ~ Double Team (5) ~ Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera
Joltik with ability Compoundeyes
Health:60%
Energy:65%
Condition: Mildly burned {1%/action}

Round 10 begin!

Neitelo blinked twice. What was Agility? She watched Prince run around, seemingly gaining in speed and lessening the paralysis' hold. She tried to emulate this behaviour and ran awkwardly as only a bird could, tripping several times in the process. However, she felt no more limber than before.

Feeling that much faster, Prince acted first. He tried to draw some water from the canal. Unfortunately, even though the paralysis had seemingly become better, he could only draw the water halfway before he couldn't hold on any longer.

Neitelo tried to make five clones of herself. Unfortunately, being slowed down, she could only do four before Prince readied himself for another Hydro Pump. He aimed at two Natu, which turned out, unfortunately for him, to be clones. The real Neitelo and her two clones all then got engulfed in purple psychic energy and delivered a headbutt to the unfortunate penguin.

Round 10 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations

Action 1
Agility: 4% energy (Increased because of paralysis)
Attempt at Agility: 2% energy
Aqua Ring: +1% health

Action 2
Attempt at Hydro Pump: 6% energy
Double Team: 4% energy

Action 3
Missed Hydro Pump: 9% energy (Hit two clones before dying out)
Zen Headbutt:13% damage, 5% energy
Badly Poisoned: 6% damage

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:9%
Energy:26%
Condition: Aqua Ring {1%/round}, Badly poisoned {6% this round, 7% next. Capped at 10%}, Moderately Paralyzed (20%),Attack -2, Lightly Confused (10%), Torrent activated, Speed +2
Agility~Paralyzed~Missed

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Energy:77%
Condition: Attack +2, Speed -1, 2 Double team clones
Failed~Double Team (4)~Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Zen Headbutt did not cause flinching, not that it would have mattered.
  • I checked on Bulbpedia and Veekun, and it seems Natu can't learn Agility (or Fly for that matter, but, eh)
  • Because Neitelo has less than average speed, she can only produce 4 clones.
  • I think that Hydro pump would target more than one clone, as it is a fairly powerful attack, so I made it target two.
  • Darksong, here

Next round:
  1. Superbird commands
  2. Darksong commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
All right, Neitelo. Let's finish this! Go with Zen Headbutt all the way, until that pest is done for. Except if Prince Protects or Endures, in which case Chill. Prince's PAralysis should let us get the hit in first.

Zen Headbutt/Chill x3

I wonder if we can prepare this for the next round... I don't think so. Start with Icy Wind to slow that Natu down, and then use Endure to waste your foe's energy. If somehow you're still conscious after that, use... Growl. Just because.

Hopefully my "comeback plan" works... I've been plotting!

Icy Wind ~ Endure ~ Growl

Pre-round

Darksong knew it, more than three rounds ago.

He knew that Prince would faint without fulfilling his purpose in this battle.

He knew that whatever he ordered, whatever Prince did, Prince would faint this round.

Of course, he didn't anticipate the bad luck. Sure, it was typical for him to run into more bad luck than normal, but this much was ridiculous. His party had lost more than twice the health of that of his opposition. Prince was bravely facing the opponent, not showing the tiniest amount of fear, but this show of courage would not get him anywhere.

Darksong knew. Superbird knew.

With a smirk, he confidently gave orders to Neitelo, loud enough for Darksong to hear clearly.

Neitelo, knowing that winning was within the grasp of this round, heck, probably even this action, smiled and gave a few insulting chirps to Prince, which only served to anger him further.

She rolled on the deck, to get rid of the excess energy she had, and stopped right at the feet of Prince. She stuck her tongue out of her beak, and blew a raspberry. No sound came out, as a beak doesn't reverberate very well, but the message came across, especially with the particle of spit the flew out and landed on Prince.

Prince felt frustrated.

The "random" numbers had to be unreal. There was now way he could incur all of the side effects of every attack dealt by Elera and Neitelo. In addition, none of the attacks he made were ever given their side effects.

Prince felt tired.

He had to admit it. Elera and Neitelo were good battlers. They hit hard, at the right times, and in the right places. He was sore all over his body, itching to move but unable to due to the paralysis, and marked with lots of bruises from the psychic Headbutts.

But most of all, Prince felt sad.

This was his chance to make a difference in his trainer's first battle in the new system, and he had screwed it up, big-time. His failures meant a huge reduction in the chances that Darksong would succeed at winning this battle. He looked at the sky, full moon shining, then at the referee, silver pen glistening.

The referee stepped up onto the platform, checking each party's readiness. Seeing no action by Superbird to run into the arena and give last minute modifications, he dropped the flag and watched the battle.

Pokémon

Darksong (XOO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:9%
Energy:26%
Condition: Knocked out
Icy Wind ~ Endure ~ Growl

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Energy:77%
Zen Headbutt/Chill~Zen Headbutt/Chill~Zen Headbutt/Chill

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 11 begin!

Prince, anger getting through every barrier that lay between him and a successful last attack, produced a blast of concentrated cold air. This moved rapidly towards Neitelo, who started shivering. Another layer of frost formed on her feathers, and especially her feet, making her look like a big snowball.

Moving quite slowly, but with purpose, the ball of frost glowed purple and moved at Prince at quite a slow rate. Prince just stood there, not having the energy to move out of the way. It didn't seem like it would be a very powerful attack, but Prince was instantly knocked out as he rolled onto his side, as if he were sleeping, blue glow fading, and cute even with his sustained injuries.

Round 11 end!

Action 1
Icy Wind: 6% damage, 6% energy
Zen Headbutt: 9% damage (would have done 13), 5% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Piplup
Prince
Health:0%
Energy:20%
Condition: Knocked out
Icy Wind

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:86%
Energy:72%
Condition: Attack +2, Speed -2
Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Zen Headbutt did not cause flinching, not that it would have mattered.
  • ...Shouldn't the round end right after the absence of one party?
  • Superbird, even with paralysis, Price outspeeds Neitelo. Calculations: Natu's base speed of 70, minus one speed level, is 51.99. Piplup's base speed of 40, divided by four because of the paralysis, plus two speed levels of 28.01 each, yields 66.02.
  • To respond to your post in the Grr thread, Darksong, stats do matter in ASB for some referees, just not as much, and not in the same way. They're always relative and always add up to zero. Personally, I only apply this when there is an obvious difference (Ex. Geodude: Atk, Def :+1; sp. Atk, sp. Def: -1)
  • Sorry for the short round (what can I do with two attacks?). I hope the pre-round makes up for this.

Next round:
  1. Darksong sends out
  2. Superbird commands
  3. Darksong commands
  4. I ref

Last edited:
Oh, I'm commanding second? Well... let's see if it works. Anyway, that might be an advantage.

It's not like I have a choice, so I'll send out Sunaero next. Let's see if our plan works...

All right, Neitelo. I've got a plan. Chill first, then Thunder Wave, then Zen Headbutt. If for any reason you can't Chill on the first action, or if you are 100% sure Thunder Wave will not paralyze Sunaero, then switch to Zen Headbutt. And if you still can't use Zen Headbutt either on any action, switch to Steel Wing.

Chill/Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing ~ Thunder Wave/Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing

Oh, wow... I think this is going to work! For once...
Oh, and Prince, don't worry about it. I'm the one who gave you stupid orders, so don't blame yourself.
Anyway, Sunaero, let's DO this! Start with Taunt... make a remark about how small your enemy is... you don't want to get paralyzed right off the bat. Then use Curse to up your stats, and make up for the lost Speed with Agility. Unless Taunt somehow doesn't work the first time, in which case, keep using Taunt until it works.

Taunt ~ Curse/Taunt ~ Agility/Taunt

Last edited:
Pre-round

Darksong didn't really have a decision to make here, the only member standing of her team being Sunaero the Aerodactyl. She, however, did hesitate before throwing the Pokéball high into the air. This would be her first battle, and it didn't feel right sending the Fossil Pokémon into the heap of trouble that she had made. But there wasn't really a choice now, was there?

So the Aerodactyl emerged from the ball, giving a frightening roar, and flew quickly high in the air. Sunaero dove right in front of Neitelo, approching within a foot of her, and swoop up. Neitelo appeared unfazed, although she felt quite apprehended. Superbird gave a whistle and examined her, wondering where Darksong could have gotten the very rare fossil which produced this Pokémon.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Aerodactyl with ability Pressure
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Taunt~Curse/Taunt~Agility/Taunt

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Energy:72%
Condition: Attack +2, Speed -2
Chill/Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing ~ Thunder Wave/Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 12 begin!

Sunareo swooped down and landed with a thump next to Neitelo, shocking her from her mental preparations for chilling. "You're a bird?" She asked. Neitelo just cocked her head. "I'm sorry, but I've never seen such a small avian," she continued, sounding genuinely confused. "You're smaller than a volleyball, I think. I couldn't see you from up there. Is this the normal circumference of a Natu?" she asked, placing her wingtips fifteen centimetres apart.

Neitelo stopped trying to chill and eyed Sunareo sharply. Sunaero had stopped speaking to her, and was dancing in a pattern unknown to Neitelo. By the end of the dance, she had slowed by a bit but looked fiercer and more ready. Neitelo dashed toward her glowing with purple energy, but broke momentum halfway because of the "I-dare-you" look from her target. She forced herself to keep going, though, rage feuled by the desire to demonstrate that size didn't matter in a battle, and struck a fair blow in Sunaero's wing.

Sunaero checked her wing to see if the membrane had broke. It hadn't but was bruised. Sighing, he took to the air and performed some manoeuvres, with the purpose of warming up her muscles. As soon as she landed, Neitelo hit her again in the wing, this time making it bleed, although she could still fly with it. With the two injuries, Sunaero was already the worse off in the battle. Darksong's comeback plan had better work fast.

Round 12 end!

Action 1
Taunt: 3% energy
Chill: 7% energy recovery

Action 2
Curse: 4% energy
Zen Headbutt: 11% damage, 6% energy (Intimidate)

Action 3
Agility: 2% energy
Zen Headbutt: 14% damage (would have done 18%), 6% energy (Intimidate) (Critical)

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:75% (Capped)
Energy:91%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +1, Defense +1
Taunt~Curse~Agility

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Energy:67%
Chill~Zen Headbutt~Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • The second Zen Headbutt was a critical hit.
  • Neither Zen Headbutt caused flinching.
  • I gave Chill less energy recovery as one can't really chill while being Taunted.

Next round:
  1. Darksong commands
  2. Superbird commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
Okay, that was three actions, right? So start with a small Substitute so that you don't have to worry about status problems and the like. Then you can wail away with Crunch! But if your enemy protects or is inaccessible in some way (other than Substitute) then go ahead and use Double Team, creating two clones (that way you don't have to run out of energy if you end up having to use Double Team twice). And since you're so much better at flying than your enemy, you won't have to worry about any of that. If it tries to get out of the way by flying, chase it.

Small Substitute (10%) ~ Crunch/Double Team (2 clones) ~ Crunch/Double Team (2 clones)

(Hopefully my strategy is improving! xD)

Well, Neitelo. That Crunch is gonna hurt a bit. So I want you to use Curse first, followed by two Zen Headbutts.

Curse ~ Zen Headbutt ~ Zen Headbutt

Pre-round

A wind started to pick up, though without the previous howling. It did, however, make the waves crash scarily onto the support spans. Superbird peered at what appeared to be a fish in the water (which was in fact a Sharpedo). Were sharks supposed to be this far North? Anyways, he watched with curiosity when a wailord emerged from the water and ate it whole. He grimaced, then turned to Neitelo and told her to curse, then follow up with two Zen Headbutts. That wasn't like Superbird at all. He was telling her to curse?

Darksong looked up at the top of the bridge, where a previously unnoticed sign hung. "Could you read that for me?" she asked Superbird. He grunted, then focussed his superior vision upon it and read, "For sale". An airplane flew past the sign, wind knocking it off. The sign part of it fell to the water at a steady rate, while the string part floated, by some wonder of the atmosphere, up at an inconsistent, but steep rate.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:75%
Energy:91%
Substitute (10%) ~ Crunch/Double Team (2) ~ Crunch/Double Team (2)

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Energy:67%
Curse ~ Zen Headbutt ~ Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 13 begin!

Sunaero produced another Aerodactyl using some of his own health. The second Aerodactyl looked just like Sunaero, except for the fact that it didn't have bruises on its wings. It gave out a roar, then soared up in the air, soon to be forgotten by Neitelo, who was chanting the same ritual Sunaero had last round.

Unfortunately, this lowered Neitelo down to an even lower speed than what she was at, although it didn't matter at this point. Sunaero flew speedily to Neitelo and delivered a bite radiating dark energy. With Neitelo the size she was, it was a wonder Sunaero didn't kill her with that bite. Neitelo, with all the speed of a paralyzed Slowpoke, headed toward Sunaero with the intention to hit her hard. By some miracle, she hit, even though Sunaero was over ten times her speed. Sunaero then dissolved into nothingness, and the real Sunaero swooped down and gave a Crunch. Squawking, she tumbled back and stood back up. She launched her self Angry Birds style at the unsuspecting Sunaero, who roared at no one in particular, in response.

Round 13 end!

Action 1
Substitute (10%): 5% energy
Curse: 5% energy

Action 2
Crunch: 13% damage, 5% energy
Zen Headbutt: 10% damage (would have done 3% damage), 6% energy

Action 3
Crunch: 12% damage (would have done 13%), 5% energy
Zen Headbutt: 13% damage , 6% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:52%
Energy:76%
Substitute (10%)~Crunch~Crunch

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:61% (Capped)
Energy:50%
Condition: Attack +3, Speed -2, Defense +1
Curse~Zen Headbutt~Zen Headbutt

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Neither Zen Headbutt caused flinching.
  • Neither Crunch caused a reduction in Defense.
  • Sorry if I sneak in a joke at your expense; I'm really tired and angry today (not with any of you), and I take my anger out in subtle ways (I basically can't write when I above a certain anger level because I'll start slipping in hidden insults at the person I'm writing to or about). No personal offense intended to any one of you.

Next round:
  1. Superbird commands
  2. Darksong commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
All right, Neitelo. Let's just Curse one more time, then start battering with Zen Headbutt. Curse again if Sunaero protects/detects/makes itself unhittable besides Substitute, and use Steel Wing if for some reason you can't use Zen Headbutt. Oh, and if you can't use Curse on action one, default to Zen Headbutt again. Also default to Steel Wing on the third action if you've already used Zen Headbutt twice by that point.

Curse/Zen Headbutt ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing/Curse ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing/Curse

Let's see... maybe you can somehow avoid this. Can you take advantage of the fact that you're a lot faster than your enemy and more agile, Sunaero? See if you can get around the Natu's defense boosts, and fly up outside of its reach. As soon as you reach twenty feet or so in height, which shouldn't take long, use Supersonic. Stay up there, and keep using Suerpsonic until it works, and after it does, use Ominous Wind a couple of times.

Fly up and use Supersonic ~ Supersonic/Ominous Wind ~ Supersonic/Ominous Wind

Pre-round

Neitelo paced back and forth, pondering about the round ahead. Unaware, she slipped on a patch of ice and fell down, skidding a few metres to Darksong's feet. Darksong kicked her all the way to Superbird, who picked her up and brushed the frost off of her fur before putting her down and telling her his commands for the next round.

Darksong eavesdropped and held a conference with Sunaero, holding the acquired information in account. Sunaero nodded, then tried to take to the air, but tripped on a rock on the ground and slipped onto the ice.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Energy:76%
Fly up and use Supersonic ~ Supersonic/Ominous Wind ~ Supersonic/Ominous Wind

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:61%
Energy:50%
Condition: Attack +3, Speed -2, Defense +1
Curse/Zen Headbutt ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing/Curse ~ Zen Headbutt/Steel Wing/Curse

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 14 begin!

Sunaero got back up and flew up about seven metres, a comfortable distance away from Neitelo's Zen Headbutts. She produced a tone that started out at 20kHz, gradually made its way down to 12kHz, then rose back to the original pitch. Neitelo, who was performing the ritual, stumbled on her words because of the distracting effect the sound had on her mind, saying "banana" instead of "bane". Oops. The Pokémon ruling the spirit dimension didn't seem to be too happy about this, making a moderately-sized rock not exempt from the laws of gravity magically appear a metre above Neitelo.

Neitelo judged herself incapable of striking Sunaero physically, so she chanted and danced the ritual again, this time more carefully, while Sunaero summoned the malevolent spirits and sent them in a wind toward Neitelo. Fortunately for Neitelo, the good spirits helping her out in her Curse drove back the maleficent ones, but the wind imbued with dark energy still affected her.

Neitelo started the ritual once again, while Sunaero made another dark-powered wind. Neitelo was high on attack and defense, sure, but those would do nothing against the techniques Darksong was using. Maybe Darksong did have a chance after all.

Round 14 end!

Action 1
Fly+Supersonic:4% energy
Confused: 4% damage to self, 3% energy

Action 2
Ominous Wind: 10% damage, 6% energy

Action 3
Ominous Wind: 10% damage, 6% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Energy:60%
Fly up and Supersonic~Ominous wind~Ominous wind

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:37%
Energy:37%
Condition: Attack +5, Speed -4, Defense +3, Moderately confused (20%)
Confused~Curse~Curse

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Neither Ominous Wind caused stat gains.
  • Neitelo hurt herself in confusion on action one.
  • I like metric.
  • Neitelo is, according to my system, at a negative speed. That affects nothing, but, still. Maybe it's time I got a new system.
  • I am so sorry about the wait; the browser crashed, taking this along with it, necessitating me to recompose the entire reffing.

Next round:
  1. Darksong commands
  2. Superbird commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom