• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you consider the banned episodes canonical?

Tenshi Saito

Well I'm not talking about the ones banned in English. I'm talking about Electric Soldier Porygon and the earthquake episode - ones that were just totally taken out from showing in Japan and elsewhere. Do you consider them canonical - ie, that they happened in the Pokemon world or do you think those were adventures Ash never had?

I at least like to think the places and people were still there. I'm a bit unsure about the matter, so I ask about it.

Edit: Oh man major typo in the title. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it.

Re: Do you considered the Banned Episodes Canonical?

I think the the Porygon is canon but not the earthquake one. This is because the earthquake one never aired while the Porygon one did.

Just edit your post and change the title.

I think the the Porygon is canon but not the earthquake one. This is because the earthquake one never aired while the Porygon one did.

porygon yes
earthquake no
reason:see above posts

I just watched the porygon episode on youtube and I think it was canon. I also came upon another banned episode which I'm not sure is real. It was weird and it looked almost like someone made it. 0.o

I just watched the porygon episode on youtube and I think it was canon. I also came upon another banned episode which I'm not sure is real. It was weird and it looked almost like someone made it. 0.o

That episode is called "Beauty and the Beach". It did end up showing here but mutilated and aired like in the Orange Islands part of the series.

Yeah, that's a real episode. They couldn't air that part of it in the US, so they took parts of the rest of it and made the episode "Beauty and the Beach", like Flareth said.

I don't really know. Did anything particularly important happen in any banned episode (apart from maybe the one where Ash caught a bunch of Tauros)? I don't think it really matters much if the continuity wasn't upset at all. It's not like the anime does a good job with continuity in the first place.

The Porygon caused an epileptic seizure.

Beauty and the Beach shows James with massive hooters which looked real.

The Tentacruel one showed a skyscraper falling and it was taken out after 9/11.

The Tauros one was "excessive use of handguns".

The "Tower of Terror" was banned because of the name.

The Jynx one was pulled because a woman wrote in saying that Jynx was racist.

Same goes for the second Jynx episode.

The Barboach vs Whiscash one was banned because of an earthquake in Niigata and it was due a week after that.

"The Bicker, The Better" was banned in Italy, France and Aruba, among others because of the battle of the sexes theme.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm going to go with the Porygon one being canon now, I think.

I have this thing where to call them "banned episodes" is incorrect.

To be "banned" they would have to have laws pressed against them that would ban them from being aired anywhere.

The most proper term is "Lost" because the earthquake episode and the porygon episodes are just episodes the company has decided not to air because of the terrible memories it could bring back. (Thats the main reason they said they haven't touched the subject of Porygon 2 or Porygon-Z)

MAKE MORE PORYGON EPISODES JAPAN!

I swear I'll send Link

She is strictly talking about the ones banned everywhere. The Dratini one isn't banned in Japan.

Anyways, the two banned episodes are just filler, so it doesn't really matter if they were canonical or not. It isn't like Ash ended up catching a Porygon or a Barboach.

I think that they're both perfectly legitimate episodes that got caught and removed from the schedule for something unpleasant and unforeseen (Nobody intended Pikachu to cause seizures, and Mew forbid somebody use Earthquake in a battle!), and therefore are total canon.

I think that they're both perfectly legitimate episodes that got caught and removed from the schedule for something unpleasant and unforeseen (Nobody intended Pikachu to cause seizures, and Mew forbid somebody use Earthquake in a battle!), and therefore are total canon.

You know that bit about Earthquake is the reason the episode got pulled. Japan was experiancing Earthquakes at the time, and thought it would be in bad taste to air a Pokemon episode about earthquakes at the exact same time. Eventually they just stopped caring about it and never aired it.

But as I said above, it doesn't matter because nothing major happened in those episodes. They were just filler, after all.

Well... I figure they're not any less canon than anything else in the anime.

Regardless of canon-ness... how many things that happen in the anime are actually referenced in later episodes, anyway? Unless someone catches/evolves a new Pokémon, releases one, or meets/fights a gym leader/rival character/some other important person, there's a pretty good chance that nothing from that episode will ever be spoken of again.

After the show moved to CN they started showing them again.

I have the Tentacruel one on VHS. :O

I only consider the episodes even remotely noteworthy if something story-centric happens. Nothing happened in these except in the Dratini episode, which I consider noteworthy. Confusing, but still...

Back
Top Bottom