• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you identify as a feminist?

Do you identify as a feminist?

• Yes

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
Or we could concentrate less on paternal leave and why it's good and more on the fact that the feminist movement wants to remove the differences between men and women completely.

Like what, though? What differences are there (important differences) that are absolutely, positively hard-wired to make women different from men in any meaningful way?

Why not, though? Even if there are some actual biological differences that generally make men and women think a bit differently, the vast majority of the divide comes from artificial gender roles ingrained in our society, and I see no reason it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of those.

Well, for one, males naturally create 40-60 times the testosterone females do. Therefore, the stimulus of physically demanding jobs may be called sexist by some, but it actually does have a basis in reality!

Well, for one, males naturally create 40-60 times the testosterone females do. Therefore, the stimulus of physically demanding jobs may be called sexist by some, but it actually does have a basis in reality!

Females can take testosterone if they want to. I've seen female bodybuilders that could crumple a good majority of my male friends. So I'm not sure what your point is. And the figure is 10 times more testosterone, not 40-60 times more testosterone.

So note the physical requirement without specifying a gender—if biological men tend to meet it more easily than biological women, so be it, but there's no reason to turn down the women who are physically capable.

EDIT: Plus, yeah, the difference there is way exaggerated by society.

Did you know that firefighters and police officers only started having height and weight requirements after they were forced to allow women?

Do they?

(Pro tip: the answer is no.)

EDIT: aw crap ninja'd by surskitty. They should have had the requirements either way, so I don't see your point...

Do they?

(Pro tip: the answer is no.)
I'm thinking of a word it begins with 'c' and ends with 'ondescending'.

EDIT: aw crap ninja'd by surskitty. They should have had the requirements either way, so I don't see your point...

I don't really see why a cop needs to be physically fit to pull me over and write me a ticket, so I do believe the point is that the mandatory requirements were only added in reaction to women, which is sexist.

Women are not nearly as equal in society as everyone seems to want to believe. I can't help but think that all the people saying "oh, I don't identify as feminist, I identify as ~equalist~" or something similar are just using that as an excuse.

I agree with you that it is a problem in quite a few areas, but like uv said, it's the terminology that is misleading. That doesn't mean I don't think the rules on parental leave or custody are entirely ridiculous. But does opposing them really mean I have to call myself a feminist? No, I just think that the rules should be changed to suit equality. Since my purpose is equality (which, in this case advocates the improvement of women's rights), I prefer to call myself an equalist, rather than feminist (which covers this case, but wouldn't cover the term if men were being discriminated against). By equalist I mean that I would fight for men's rights if they were discriminated as much as women if they were being discriminated.

I am generally anti-discrimination. I suppose the things you see as "feminist causes" or "sexist rules" fall under the whole anti-discrimination/bigotry category.

I don't understand we women can't have a default in a word in 'feminist'. Men have:
->'Men' can mean 'people' but 'women' is exclusively female
->'You guys' doesn't raise eyebrows, but 'You girls' certainly does.
->'Chairman', 'Fireman' 'Mailman' 'fisherman' 'horseman' and others can refer to both men and women.
So people are raising fuss over one word, feminism, without fussing about the others? I find that profoundly wrong.

(which covers this case, but wouldn't cover the term if men were being discriminated against)

Yes it would. I said most of the time it's women being discriminated against; that doesn't mean all.

I don't understand we women can't have a default in a word in 'feminist'. Men have:
->'Men' can mean 'people' but 'women' is exclusively female
->'You guys' doesn't raise eyebrows, but 'You girls' certainly does.
->'Chairman', 'Fireman' 'Mailman' 'fisherman' 'horseman' and others can refer to both men and women.
So people are raising fuss over one word, feminism, without fussing about the others? I find that profoundly wrong.

Horseman is a word I have honestly never heard.

EDIT: I'm reminded of something I read in a book: "Political Correctness is about being sensitive to the feelings of others. Particularly of women and minorities. It means being sensitive enough to, say, blowtorch any snowman you see. Immediately. (It then goes on to quote some freak saying the snowman is a sexist and racist representation of white male control.) Another tip: Never say "Man," when you san say "Person." (It goes on to list someone saying their call center is not personned right then and someone saying her daughter liked to play cowpersons and indians.) Promote equality. In fact, go one step further. (It quotes Al Gore saying men and women were equal- if not more so.)"

While this may be a humorous representation of political correctness, I think it's painfully true.

Last edited:
I think that may have been the best counter-argument I've ever heard.

EDIT: FYI, this was posted before Pwnemon's edit. The post above originally read 'Horseman is a word I have honestly never heard.' only.

Last edited:
Horseman is a word I have honestly never heard.

Read your Bible better. With regards to my Concordance:

2 Kings 9:17
And there stood a watchman on the tower in Jezreel, and he spied the company of Jehu as he came, and said, I see a company. And Joram said, Take an horseman, and send to meet them, and let him say, Is it peace?

And its plural:

Genesis 50:9
Chariots and horsemen also went up with him. It was a very large company.

Exodus 14:9
The Egyptians—all Pharaoh’s horses and chariots, horsemen and troops—pursued the Israelites and overtook them as they camped by the sea near Pi Hahiroth, opposite Baal Zephon.

Exodus 14:17
I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they will go in after them. And I will gain glory through Pharaoh and all his army, through his chariots and his horsemen.

Exodus 14:18
The Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I gain glory through Pharaoh, his chariots and his horsemen.

Okay, that's enough examples, but the word 'horsemen' shows up in the Bible 29 times.

And its 'Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse' mind you, not 'Four Horsepeople of the Apocalypse'.

I'm reminded of something I read in a book: "Political Correctness is about being sensitive to the feelings of others. Particularly of women and minorities. It means being sensitive enough to, say, blowtorch any snowman you see. Immediately. (It then goes on to quote some freak saying the snowman is a sexist and racist representation of white male control.) Another tip: Never say "Man," when you san say "Person." (It goes on to list someone saying their call center is not personned right then and someone saying her daughter liked to play cowpersons and indians.) Promote equality. In fact, go one step further. (It quotes Al Gore saying men and women were equal- if not more so.)"

While this may be a humorous representation of political correctness, I think it's painfully true.

Awww, poor cisgendered heterosexual white males having to respect the feelings of others by thinking before they speak!

Okay, somebody wasn't thinking straight. sue me. the edit still stands.

I don't see how your edit is relevant. It's listing a few cases in which, maybe, people are taking political correctness a little too far. But in principle, I absolutely agree we should stop using 'man' as a general term.

I've honestly never seen that called feminism. Just sexism.

Please don't try and twist my words. You plainly said that opposing discrimination against men wouldn't fall under feminism - at least that's what I got out of your post - and that's the sentiment I was responding to.

I'm pretty sure it _could_ fall under feminism but I don't really think it defines feminism, do you? The whole point of feminism was to oppose discrimination against women, which I'm against, but I'm no more against that than I am against discrimination versus men, or religious people, or ethnic groups, or gays, or transgender people. So I think calling me a feminist would be a complete fucken misnomer.

I'd just call discrimination against men a form of sexism. It's not that I don't want to call it feminism because of the stigmatisation, I just don't think feminism as a term accurately describes what I see as ultimately a struggle for equal rights from any side of the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom