• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you, or would you, pay for hosting?

Eevee

usually right
Simple question. Assuming here that paid hosting is guaranteed to be good quality and that it's $5 or less per month.

Also, specifically more of interest: would you rather pay a few bucks a month and use a good product, or use an okayish product for free?

I pay for hosting and it's pretty good and costs a dollar a month.

I'd rather pay a small amount of money for something decent rather than something mediocre for free; however, something actually okay ('okay' meaning reasonable bandwidth limits, non-stupid terms of service, no ads or at least no obtrusive ones) for free would be worth considering.

Yeah, I'd prefer to pay. If you're going to make a website, you might as well do it properly. Of course, if the free hosting was actually pretty decent, I'd consider it.

Now all I need to do is find some money.

I have my own server, although I wouldn't actually host my site there. Far too unstable. Yes to the first question; I'd definitely pay that. As for the second, the latter option is my choice. I'm hardly satisfied with "okay."

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just messing around with something that people may or may not ever see or use heavily and I can find a decent free host, I'd go with free. I do currently pay <$5/month for a very nice hosting package and it's pretty much superior in every way to the free stuff I've used (although I did go out of my way to find the best free hosting I could), so I keep my more serious and production-ready stuff there. Of course, now that I have the paid hosting I can put all the stuff I play with on subdomains in that package, so I don't need free hosting any more.

My cousin is trying to get me to set up a server in my room. I might get around to it one of these days, but for now I'm fine with my hosting.

Honestly, that comes down to the definition of "okay." $5/month isn't much at all; I wouldn't mind doing that. However, if the free product supports whatever languages I may write the website in, has reasonable bandwidth/memory limits, and doesn't have ads, then I might pick up on that offer.

Right now I use free hosting, and I don't foresee switching to paid anytime soon. My site doesn't use much beyond mod_rewrite and a database, both of which are provided for free by the host. Of course, it has its disadvantages: less than ideal uptime and whitelisted user-agents (meaning I can't view it in Elinks ;_;). If I were running anything of importance I would pay for hosting in a heartbeat.

One thing I've always wanted to do is host my own site, but I'm not as hip at Unixes as I would have to be. And of course rolling your own server presents its own disadvantages.

I guess it depends on how serious I am about being creative rather than gathering facts. Right now, I keep my finished Zoology reports on wordpress just so I can access them anywhere. I don't need hosting.

Yeah, depends on how okay. I don't have much experience with free hosts, but I've heard of an awful lot of limitations and annoyances, and if the paid hosting was cheap and known to be better, I'd rather go with that. Of course, right now I'm not paying for anything and am on a dedicated server.

I do pay, and its about £20 every 2 years so that's less than £5 a month right?

whitelisted user-agents
wtfrudoin.png

what

I would probably go with the free "just okay" one rather than pay. Sure, it'd be nice to have a high-quality host for my website that's guaranteed to be good, but in the end, my website isn't the center of my life. I would rather save my money for something else that will be more important to me.

And besides, everything I want to do with a website is accomplishable on a free host, so I'm satisfied. ^^

I'd rather have paid hosting to be honest. I've been having a fuck of a time looking for a free host that has what I need (.htaccess is one of those, not many free hosts have it for "security reasons"... which is the same reason they also have extension whitelists, which gives me issues whenever I try to upload some kind of configuration or template file that isn't whitelisted)

Paid hosting is good if you're serious. Mostly if you're fiddling around, you can sometimes find a decent free host.
Dumb of me to say, because I'm considering buying hosting for a future website that will almost certainly suck.

I don't like free hosting, and I don't really like the idea of shared hosting anymore, ever since I touched a VPS. Been on a VPS for 3 years already, and I prefer it more than shared I ever will shared hosting.

Free Hosting is a poor choice if you're serious on web development, IMO.

My site is hosted on a server that's not free. But the thing is, one day in November a while ago, Lightning just told me on MSN,

"Seri, SIA offered to pay for hosting our site."

I was amazed that her friend would do that. But now we have hosting. o.o

Anyway, I'd rather pay a little and have a good server and stuff.

Simple question. Assuming here that paid hosting is guaranteed to be good quality and that it's $5 or less per month.

Also, specifically more of interest: would you rather pay a few bucks a month and use a good product, or use an okayish product for free?

I would pay small for a good product if that was a option, but I have no money to buy a v-bulletin forum so I have to settle with having a free mybb.

Back
Top Bottom