• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

DO YOU SUPPORT DC STATEHOOD

WELL?

• Total voters
I kinda think that idea's stupid :B

Yes, and exactly how likely is it that anyone Republican is going to vote in favour of DC statehood when it means one guaranteed democrat in the House and two in the Senate?

Just four months ago, they didn't need one to, hm?

Same thing for the congress of '92, and, oh, like twenty other congresses.

But then we would have to redesign the US Flag and it wouldn't look as good with 51 or 52.

And my nostalgia say 50>51

Yeah, I'd be on board with this whole "new state business" if it didn't require us to redesign the flag every time.

As far as I'm concerned, we never should have deviated from Betsy Ross's 13-star original design. You snooze, you lose, Vermont!

D.C. should be a state, however Puerto Rico should become a state first.

D.C. should be a state, however Puerto Rico should become a state first.
Puerto Rico's economy's pretty terrible and as far as I know, Puerto Rico doesn't get fucked over whenever someone has a bone to pick. If Puerto Rico wants to be a state, I'm fine with that, but it's a hell of a lot lower priority as far as I'm concerned than DC.

You never know when those British/Canadians are coming back. It could be any day now. They're still bitter about the revolution/War of 1812.

I was in DC the other week and went on a tour of the Capitol Building and our tour guide was telling everyone how the British burned it down and I kept feeling the need to apologise.

(we also watched the most hilariously patriotic film ever that basically said that America was BUILT ON FREEDOM and also slave labour BUT MOSTLY FREEDOM)

Even if DC did have statehood, would you really need to make a whole new flag? Surely you could just say that the stars are representative of the 50 states that've been established states for X years? Then, when Puerto Rico and other places have bumped the number of states up to a nice, round number, you can redesign the flag to look all symmetrical again.

I blame the British for burning down my capital. I demand compensation! *holds out hand*

In seriousness I accidentally clicked no and meant to click yes. Can that be undone?

Last edited:
Even if DC did have statehood, would you really need to make a whole new flag? Surely you could just say that the stars are representative of the 50 states that've been established states for X years? Then, when Puerto Rico and other places have bumped the number of states up to a nice, round number, you can redesign the flag to look all symmetrical again.

See this is what I was thinking! Or you could redesign the flag so that the number of states isn't a feature!

You kidding? If you mess with the Stars and stripes/Old Glory/Star-Spangled Banner/whatever you call it, people would freak.

We've had an odd amout of Stars before. While it's not a nice retangle, it looks fine.

If we keep adding people we'll need a magnifying glass to count the stars on the smaller flags. They might redesign the flag entirely! That'd be weird, what would they do with all the stars/stripes/ etc songs? Weird. XD

It's okay! The flag doesn't have 50+ stripes, so I'm sure it'll be fine with the current number of stars.

Or we can make California its own country. It has enough debt to be one...

Why can't the flag be redesigned in such a way that the stars and stripes remain, but in a different number -- or even just saying "the stars don't mean how many states we have"?

Why can't the flag be redesigned in such a way that the stars and stripes remain, but in a different number -- or even just saying "the stars don't mean how many states we have"?

IT WOULD LOSE ITS SYMBOLICNESS AND THEN IT WOULD BE DUMB AND RANDOM LIKE THE BRITISH FLAG AND BRITS ARE OBVIOUSLY STUPID AND YES I KNOW YOU'RE A BRIT AND I DIDN'T EVEN USE CAPS LOCK FOR THIS POST AREN'T I COOL.

Actually, the Union Jack is comprised of St. Andrew's Cross (Scotland), St. George's Cross (England), and St. Patrick's Cross (Ireland). It's not 'random' at all!

*obligatory fist-shaking at the UK's continued use of St. Patrick's Cross, despite the fact that, as Northern Ireland is still a part of the union, they have a very valid claim to using it, though it may be more culturally sensitive not to, even though no one really gives much of a shit about it*

(Sorry about that, man. If it were up to me...

Actually if it were up to me we'd have the Welsh dragon on there. ROAR WE'RE FIERCE)

OUR DRAGON WOULD LIKE TO SAY IT SHOULD BE ON THE FLAG. It is a very sensitive dragon, and it's never been quite the same since it killed that nasty white dragon... :( Poor dragon. ; ;

Back
Top Bottom