• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does a God of ANY KIND exist?

What about this theory: Some few thousand years ago extraterrestrials came to earth and their technology was so advanced that the current humans thought that they were gods, but they were in fact simply extraterrestrials. They built the pyramids, etc. for the people of earth to have places to worship them and played god for a while. Then one radical and his followers decided to create his own monotheistic religion. So started Judaism. Then, a little later he got bored and sent one of his minions down to impregnate one of the humans with one of the extraterrestrial's children, thus giving birth to Jesus, who learned how to control all of the tech from the aliens. Then they had some important business to attend to and left, but left a message with the Mayas that they will return in 2012, to see how things have progressed - or regressed - without them being there.

Has anyone said something about the god of the gaps? If I'm repeating this thing, sorry. Anyways, the God of the Gaps is a theory I like. But I don't completely believe in it, because of the "how would the God be created" thing.

The God of the gaps is a nonsensical concept that rises from the apparent belief that science is static and that anything it cannot answer must be unanswerable. This is not so: science is changing constantly, and eventually it will fill those gaps.

Has anyone said something about the god of the gaps? If I'm repeating this thing, sorry. Anyways, the God of the Gaps is a theory I like.
It's not a theory; it's a criticism of how people treat God. Years ago, we didn't know how lightning worked, so we said a god must be responsible. Then we figured it out. Years ago, we didn't know how life came to be, so we said a god must be responsible. Then we figured it out.

The notion of a god is often defended by the unexplained, but people forget that the unexplained is just whatever we haven't figured out yet, not whatever is entirely beyond our means to figure out. So theists have fewer and fewer little gaps in human knowledge that they can point to and say "well, God must have done that".

What about this theory: Some few thousand years ago extraterrestrials came to earth and their technology was so advanced that the current humans thought that they were gods, but they were in fact simply extraterrestrials. They built the pyramids, etc. for the people of earth to have places to worship them and played god for a while. Then one radical and his followers decided to create his own monotheistic religion. So started Judaism. Then, a little later he got bored and sent one of his minions down to impregnate one of the humans with one of the extraterrestrial's children, thus giving birth to Jesus, who learned how to control all of the tech from the aliens. Then they had some important business to attend to and left, but left a message with the Mayas that they will return in 2012, to see how things have progressed - or regressed - without them being there.
post this on any conspiracy site for mad street cred

Why must there be "something" and why must it be bound by different universal laws than we are?

If we needed creating then surely our creator needed to be created, too?

also, re: aliens: yeah sure, it's actually more plausible than gods and magic anyway. you're just lacking hard evidence!

so you're actually ahead of the theists who don't even have plausibility on their side!

stop dancing around the whole ietsism thing and explain WHY you think "there has to be something out there".

I know I'll be jumped on for this but whenever I quietly meditate on things, at home or on the bus while listening to music, I get a feeling. I can't really explain it properally, because I don't have the volcab to do that yet. I guess it's just a spiritual thing that's unique to each person.

And please don't start on me. Just because I can't explain it doesn't mean I'm stupid. And there doesn't have to be a scientific explanation, it might just be. You know? o.o''''

getting a feeling doesn't fucking mean there's a god out there.

wait, wait, nevermind. my foot's tingling. thanks for the message, god!

I'm agnostic >_> I'm NOT SURE. The feeling gives me an idea of something greater, but I'm no f***ing prophet. I'm just a person, what the hell do i know of deities? At least I'm mature enough to admit that I have no damn idea what the hell's out there rather then giving a name or concept to whatever I'm feeling.

i'm not asking you anything.
i'm saying that foot is tingling -> god is a pretty large and falsified jump.

I know I'll be jumped on for this but whenever I quietly meditate on things, at home or on the bus while listening to music, I get a feeling. I can't really explain it properally, because I don't have the volcab to do that yet. I guess it's just a spiritual thing that's unique to each person.

And please don't start on me. Just because I can't explain it doesn't mean I'm stupid. And there doesn't have to be a scientific explanation, it might just be. You know? o.o''''

No, I'm pretty damn sure there has to be a scientific explanation.

And there doesn't have to be a scientific explanation, it might just be. You know? o.o''''

Considering science is the study of fact and truth, would that mean that the explanation of a deity is fictional since it's unscientific?

Maybe what you're feeling is just a feeling of peace or contentedness? Why do things as simple and beautiful as happiness and peacefulness have to be a message from a deity? Can't they just be that you're pleased with something, or feel at peace with the world?

Gods spoil all the wonder in life :/

Why must there be "something" and why must it be bound by different universal laws than we are?

If we needed creating then surely our creator needed to be created, too?

Because humans are born with a trait called 'fear'. This 'fear' is a horrible thing, that makes those with weaker willed minds do whatever they can to allay this 'fear' feeling, usually avoiding the object that instills such terror. Some more industrious weak-willed humans will instead create something to remove the fear. This could take many shapes, such as walls to remove the fear of wide, open spaces. The torch, to remove the fear of the dark. Or, quite often, this 'religion' that removes the fear of the unknown.

I would like to think there is a heaven and hell for afterlife. It's just a nice thought. But when I think about it, I really have my doubts. I don't really believe there are any Gods. I'd like to believe but I can't.

Why would you want to go to an afterlife forever, anyway? In an infinite amount of time, everything possible will happen an infinite number of times. Also, it'd be unbearable after a few centuries at the very most.

I have to say that I do believe in a God, and in afterlife. Like Dark Shocktail said, sometimes you just have feelings, and you have to have faith. I don't believe in evolution.

Oh, Christ, not this again.

Having feelings =/= GOD EXISTS LOLOLOLOL

I do wish people would be more understanding of the human body and what wonders it can do.

I have to say that I do believe in a God, and in afterlife. Like Dark Shocktail said, sometimes you just have feelings, and you have to have faith. I don't believe in evolution.

Maybe what you're feeling is just a feeling of peace or contentedness? Why do things as simple and beautiful as happiness and peacefulness have to be a message from a deity? Can't they just be that you're pleased with something, or feel at peace with the world?

Gods spoil all the wonder in life :/

Read thread please.

Also, any reason you don't believe in evolution?

Back
Top Bottom