• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dorf Fort

Saith

Yes, Dwarf Fortress.

Love it? Hate it? Love it and hate it?
Or somehow haven't heard of it?

Regardless, it's pretty much here to stay.

For those of you not in the know, Dorf Fort is a bit of city building game.
It's much more complex than that, however and, despite only being in its alpha stage, is much more complex than pretty much any game in the genre.
It's also really ugly, though, relying on a more ASCII medium for its graphics.

So discuss it, talk about all the strange things you've done, all the clever trap-systems you've constructed, or just rage about how a single drunken dwarf caused the collapse of the entire Dwarven empire~

I have tried it and it's pretty cool! But, I kinda hate memorising a whole load of shortcuts and meanings for characters so it's hard to get into (unless you play it very frequently) and it's really annoying to pick up again later. As in, two months or more after initial download and reading of instructions. ):

I did manage to snag a sort of addon type thing at a LAN party (snooping around in other people's documents hooray!) called Dwarf Therapist which would probably make things a tad easier. But. Yeah.

Same problem with nethack! (But DF is quite a bit more complicated!)

I don't mind ugly graphics, either, as long as I can tell what's going on. Which I uh, often can't. Eeps!

Also I think PK is a huge fan, maybe mentioning him will bring him to you for more intelligible discussion.

I used to play this long ago,
But I have no time, in college, now.
But when I played this lovely game,
My cities were far from mundane.
I still remember Ectobusts,
Where far below the desert's gusts
Of wind dwarves mined their fortunes out
Of stone and sand, and have no doubt:
The wonders of its water works
Could really grind and lurch
To life and fill the great aquarium
Above all of the drunken din
That came from the great dining hall,
Or create a grand waterfall
To fall down through the housing towers
To mist the dwarves at any hour.

Sadly, the glass that we did make
Was deemed by elves a huge mistake
As before magma on all maps,
We had to cut trees on our maps
And burn them down to ashes
If we wanted to make our glasses.
And on a map so scarce of trees,
This really hurt the industry.

Last edited:
i love Dwarf Fortress but i haven't played in a while.

i was doing a LP for a while then realised it was dumb.

Back
Top Bottom