• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Double Fine Adventure

Furiianda

DELICIOUS!
I did a quick search and didn't find a topic about this, apologies if there actually is one!

Anyway -- this is about the recent kickstarter project hosted by Double Fine productions to fund a good old fashioned point-and-click adventure game, which most publishers (apparently) dismissed as a "dead genre".

Minecraft fans might be familiar with Notch's recent "offer" to fund Psychonauts 2, and this kickstarter project surfaced a little while after that.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure
^Watch the video there for most of the information I'm going to be pointlessly repeating in this post. (:

The reason so many people are excited about this is that it's a huge innovation in the video game industry -- that the players can pay a company to create a game, eliminating the need for publishers altogether.

If you didn't catch it on the page -- the goal funding for the game itself, as well as the documentary with it (detailed in the video) was paid for by fans within 8 hours of the project start. ($400,000) And at the time of this post they're just under $2,000,000... well, Double Fine has a lot of dedicated fans, to say the least. (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts are some of the big, recognisable titles associated with them)

Anyway, I'd like to hear some thoughts about what other people think this is going to do for the industry. Or excited squeals or what have you.

This actually looks to me to be a pretty awesome way for a developer to raise money! Publishers can get in the way sometimes and giving money directly to a company to make a game seems like one of the best ways to ensure that that game gets made as it's supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom