• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Dragon Themed Team

Icalasari

YAY! NEW AVATAR! :D
As the title should tell you, I am working on a dragon themed team. Not all of them will be Dragon Type, as I want to be able to compete in OU

Here it is. And please help me out a bit with it. The ones with nicknames are ones I already have. Areas that have ??? are things I am unsure of:

Ribbon (Female Garchomp)
Adamant @ ???
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Fire Fang
-??? (Swords Dance?)
Spread:
-252 Attack
-252 Speed
-4 HP

Notes: She has 31 attack and 31 speed, making her a force to be reckoned with. Obviously my powerhouse

Jtragn (Male Milotic. MAY be replaced if not considered good enough)
Modest @ Leftovers
-Surf
-Recover
-Ice Beam/???
-Toxic
Spread:
-314 HP
-151 Attack
-240 (190 after berries) Defence
-273 (257 after berries) Sp Attack
-281 Sp Defence
-225 (170 after berries) Speed

Notes: O.o Lost the original record, so I am putting all the stats and, for the ones affected by berries, what they are after being lowered. He is a bulky sweeper, obviously. For foes too tough to handle easily, Toxic helps to chip away at the HP. I realize it looks like if EV's are unaccounted for, but he has an Effort Ribbon, so... O.o;

Dragonite
Jolly or Adamant @ ???
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Thunderwave
-Aerial Ace/Dragon Dance
Spread: Depends on IV's

Notes: Essentially a last ditch Pokemon. The Dragonite is meant to cover Tank, Annoyer, and Sweeper all at once. Basically, it fills whatever role is needed at the time

Kingdra
Quiet or Sassy (?) @ ??? (Possibly an evasion boosting or accuracy lowering item)
-Toxic
-Double Team
-Surf
-Rain Dance
Spread:
-252 Defence
-252 Sp. Defence
-4 HP

Notes: A tank. I am working off of the fact that it has only one weakness: Dragon :D

Salamence
Jolly or Adamant @ ??? (Yeah, I am bad with items)
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Aerial Ace/Fire Fang/Flamethrower
-Draco Meteor
Spread:
-252 Attack
-252 Speed
-4 Sp Attack

Notes: Another physical Pokemon. Has Draco Meteor as a, "Surprise! You're Screwed!" Sort of move

Last Pokemon, I have no idea for. I can't use Flygon, as, well, two Dragon/Ground types is not good... And I don't know what else to use that is Dragon Themed

I am thinking a Baton Passer, though. Ribbon has crappy defence (1 IV? Uh, no thanks x.x), so that means that she may have difficulty setting up a Swords Dance =/

EDIT: Oh, I have access to EVERY Pokemon in the game, excluding Arceus and Shaymin. Also, I have most TM's

If Milotic is dragon enough, then Charizard should be. The main disadvantage with it is the whole Stealth Rock 50% damage thing.

I like the "suprise you're screwed" Draco Meteor. I also would advise either fire fang or aerial ace on it. STAB with aerial ace, but if you have a fire and dragon move, none of your attacks will be not very effective if you choose the right one.

Also, I use Dragonite as a physical sweeper.

Yeah, I know Dragonite is primarily a physical sweeper. I have looked at its stats, after all. In fact, it is one of the reasons I am making it a sort of wild card. People wouldn't expect it, for one.

I didn't consider Charizard for very long, thinking that too many sweepers may hinder my team in an emergency

As the title should tell you, I am working on a dragon themed team. Not all of them will be Dragon Type, as I want to be able to compete in OU

Here it is. And please help me out a bit with it. The ones with nicknames are ones I already have. Areas that have ??? are things I am unsure of:

Ribbon (Female Garchomp)
Adamant @ Yache Berry
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance
Spread:
-252 Attack
-252 Speed
-4 HP

It's a generic, boring Garchomp set but it's still a beast that everybody fears, so unless you want a choice set this is the way to go. Pretty much the only set worth using if you don't have Tyranitar/Hippowdon on your team and don't want to be holding Choice Band/Scarf. I wouldn't have this as your starter if I were you.

The 1 Defense IV is quite insignificant, not much will waste time trying to take down a garchomp with physical moves while it Swords Dances up and rips up their team.

Notes: She has 31 attack and 31 speed, making her a force to be reckoned with. Obviously my powerhouse

Jtragn (Male Milotic. MAY be replaced if not considered good enough)

Modest @ Leftovers
-Ice Beam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

-Toxic / Surf
Spread:
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpA

You have an issue that a Scarfed Garchomp could run through your team, so try making this a better physical sponge. Rest activates Marvel Scale which can make you quite bulky defensively, and Ice Beam hits the aforementioned Garchomp.

Notes: O.o Lost the original record, so I am putting all the stats and, for the ones affected by berries, what they are after being lowered. He is a bulky sweeper, obviously. For foes too tough to handle easily, Toxic helps to chip away at the HP. I realize it looks like if EV's are unaccounted for, but he has an Effort Ribbon, so... O.o;

Dragonite
Adamant @ Yache Berry / Leftovers
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch / Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
Spread: Depends on IV's

Go for a bulky sweeper here. Bulk is important on a team as all-out attack as this one is. The moves provide good coverage. Yache Berry can be useful to let you survive an Ice move as you DD up, so you can then be faster than your counter and have Roost make you take only half from Ice moves as what you would take without it. Leftovers makes you more bulky.

Thunder Wave isn't good on this set because slowing down opponents is useless when you can Dragon Dance to be faster than them anyway. Either try out a spread that gives you 252 HP and [insert your chosen attack/speed distribution here] or go for all out 252 atk / 252 spd

Notes: Essentially a last ditch Pokemon. The Dragonite is meant to cover Tank, Annoyer, and Sweeper all at once. Basically, it fills whatever role is needed at the time

Kingdra
Quiet or Sassy (?) @ ??? (Possibly an evasion boosting or accuracy lowering item)
-Toxic
-Double Team
-Surf
-Rain Dance
Spread:
-252 Defence
-252 Sp. Defence
-4 HP

I don't see what you were doing here at all, to be honest. Walled easily by any water type with rest, and takes a long time to set up with Double Team. It doesn't help that not many people allow Double Team in their matches for the pure luck-based strategy behind it.

Notes: A tank. I am working off of the fact that it has only one weakness: Dragon :D

Salamence
Timid @ Choice Specs
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse

Spread:
-252 Special Attack
-252 Speed
-4 HP

Too much physical offence on your team and too little special. This takes the same role as Dragonite and that's not good, so if you're gonna have another D-Dancer try out the Gyarados I'm suggesting below. In the meantime, try out SpecsMence for hitting many things hard with a Draco Meteor that's hard to resist without a Steel type. Dragon Pulse is good late-game when you want to clear up the remains of a match without getting weaker with every hit. This also makes a fairly decent starter.

Notes: Another physical Pokemon. Has Draco Meteor as a, "Surprise! You're Screwed!" Sort of move

Last Pokemon, I have no idea for. I can't use Flygon, as, well, two Dragon/Ground types is not good... And I don't know what else to use that is Dragon Themed

Gyarados is a beast and Garchomp covers its only significant weakness.

Try out:

Gyarados
Adamant @ Life Orb
80 HP / 252 Attack / 176 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

It is ridiculously strong and never goes down without ripping into one of your opponent's walls, thus clearing the way for your two other physical sweepers. It can 2hko Celebi and ohko Starmie, two common switch-ins, if you need more convincing. Also a good enough starter, and dragon-themed.

I am thinking a Baton Passer, though. Ribbon has crappy defence (1 IV? Uh, no thanks x.x), so that means that she may have difficulty setting up a Swords Dance =/

EDIT: Oh, I have access to EVERY Pokemon in the game, excluding Arceus and Shaymin. Also, I have most TM's

Hope I've helped. :)

Watch out for Stealth Rock.

That looks good. Thanks!

And with Kingdra, well, I was thinking, "Rain Dance to trigger Swift Swim (Yeah, the natures I picked for it aren't good, are they?) and make Surf more powerful. Meanwhile, Toxic can handle troublesome Water Types (Dewgong with Hydration would be a bitch though), while Double Team makes attacks miss

What if I replace DT with D Pulse? That way, I can handle the aforementioned Dewgong

If I do that, what item should I use?

Also, *Gets to breeding a new Milotic* Mine is Level 100, so no EV switching for me D:

The thing about Kingdra is, though it may only have one weakness, it's also the weakness that three other members of your team have too. It seems a little odd, but maybe you could try replacing Toxic with Yawn and Double Team with Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse; Yawn gives you a way to put things to sleep and to force switches if something is threatening to hurt you after a Swords Dance etc., and after a Rain Dance you can outspeed all those dragons that were once a threat and finish them off with Ice Beam. Sure, it makes you able to get walled by Dewgong, but nobody really uses Dewgong and you could easily beat it with other members of your team, like Gyarados, who is your only sweeper not weak to Ice Beam. (presuming you'll take up my suggestion and use it)

I will use Gyarados like you suggested, due to it being the only Dragon-themed Pokemon (Other than Milotic) who is not COMPLETELY screwed by Stealth Rock and/or too weak/strong to be practical *Glares at Altaria*

Oh, what item should I use for Kingdra? I am thinking the Dragon-resist berry (I forget its name) to help cover its one weakness

I'd suggest Damp Rock or Leftovers, actually. Haban Berry is good for one use only and you'll outspeed most Dragon move users after Swift Swim anyway, which is why Damp Rock suggested to provide more turns of speed. Leftovers is if you want to go down the more defensive route.

Oh, and Dragon Pulse isn't that useful, really; Ice Beam and Surf hit nearly everything in OU Dragon Pulse does more powerfully except other Kingdras which aren't that common.

This all my opinion, however, so take this with a grain of salt if you do.

I will use Gyarados like you suggested, due to it being the only Dragon-themed Pokemon (Other than Milotic) who is not COMPLETELY screwed by Stealth Rock and/or too weak/strong to be practical *Glares at Altaria*
It's hard to see how, but Kangaskhan could resemble a dragon of some non-flying kind. It learns Outrage, at the very least!

As for Kingdra's item, Prettzel covered it well.

Oh, and Dragon Pulse isn't that useful, really; Ice Beam and Surf hit nearly everything in OU Dragon Pulse does more powerfully except other Kingdras which aren't that common.
And water types. :O

Water Types were the reason behind Toxic and Dragon Pulse

Oh, just as a bit more information on Ribbon, she has 12 HP IV's and 28 Sp Defence (And 11 Sp Attack *shrugs*). Does that change anything?

Ok. A few more questions:

1) Why shouldn't I use Ribbon as a Starter?
2) What nature for Kingdra, then?
3) I practiced a bit in the Battle Tower. XD Yache Berry actually saved me from an OHKO via Ice Beam! :D Thanks for suggesting that item! But would Focus Sash also work? Or is Garchomp too resilient to reap the benefits?
4) Isn't there often an, "Only one of each hold item", clause in effect? If so, then what do I do about Dragonite's item choices, as both are held by another member?

1) Why shouldn't I use Ribbon as a Starter?
Garchomp is a huge threat now. Every team has a counter for it as every team needs a counter for it. The reason Garchomp is so threatening is that with Swords Dance it can outspeed and finish off many things that get in its way - it's what garchomp does best. If you don't wait around until mid to late-game when all of its counters are weakened a bit to the KO range, it won't last long. Doesn't help that it isn't Jolly natured as lots of things are given the ability to outspeed it if it's Adamant.

2) What nature for Kingdra, then?
Probably Modest.

3) I practiced a bit in the Battle Tower. XD Yache Berry actually saved me from an OHKO via Ice Beam! :D Thanks for suggesting that item! But would Focus Sash also work? Or is Garchomp too resilient to reap the benefits?
Pretty pointless, to honest. Priority attacks are very common now and the risk of focus sash is that any old thing with quick attack can take you out afterwards, or an Abomasnow will switch in as you use Swords Dance or Earthquake and the Hail will pick you off at the end of the turn. Yache Berry should suffice, seeing as very few unboosted Ice Beams will break if you have a Yache Berry anyway

Oh, and Stealth Rock nullifies Focus Sash. Your team has enough problems with Stealth Rock as it is

4) Isn't there often an, "Only one of each hold item", clause in effect? If so, then what do I do about Dragonite's item choices, as both are held by another member?
In Battle Tower, yes... but people who use Item Clause in competitive battling are silly.

Ok, thanks!

Might as well ask now, as it will take awhile to create this team:

I have a 28 win streak so far at the battle tower. Which three from the team would you recommend? I am so far using Ribbon and Jtragn, and they are handling things very well, excluding the occasional Ice Shard fanatic

I dunno what you've already got bred but Garchomp, Milotic and Salamence/Gyarados would probably work best. Milotic to absorb Ice moves, Garchomp to absorb Electric moves. It works.

Garchomp is bred, as stated before

My Milotic needs to be replaced due to improper EV's, but he seems to be perfect for the Battle Tower (Toxic + Recover + Palmer's Milotic = :D). Alright, thanks!

..Now I just need to capture a bunch of each Pokemon to get good IV's x.x Yay for Feebas fishing... x.x

Yeah, I thought about that. It will only alleviate the problem a bit, though, as I still have to get Ditto's with perfect IV's in the proper stats AND the right natures...

...I am starting to think that I like self torture XD Also, there is the problem that, on Diamond, I don't HAVE a Feebas or Milotic. I use Diamond for breeding purposes. As such, um, I still need to get a Feebas x.x

...Wonder if somebody on the GTS will take one of my hundreds of Gible for a Feebas?

I could breed you one if you like. I'm already tangled up in breeding for a good Bronzor but I could still get you one at the very least, but you'd have to sort out natures and things yourself.

Back
Top Bottom