• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Dusty Highway

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
A journey on a long, straight road invites travellers to imagine the possible. When you can see the horizon in the distance, it's like you can see the future stretching out before you.

The highways in southern Sojavena were originally trodden by local trade caravans, and the routes passed on by word of mouth and through lived experience. It was the Commonwealth that flattened the ground, laid down gravel, put up signposts, and built supply caches for its agents and couriers. Local traders still used the highways – no 'mon was fool enough to try to impose tolls – but now it was the wagons of settlers, and the wagons of Frontier Town's industries, that made the most use of the road networks. The longest of these stretched through the Soja', north-to-south, and from the western limits of the Commonwealth out east to its heart.

For long stretches of these highways, you could look out and see the red mesas of Sunward, the mercurial path of the Silver River, the stubborn scrub and tough weeds of the hinterlands, amber plains of arid grasses, rail tracks and telegraph poles... Folks coming and going along the highway would see a decent sampling of the region's many vistas. Vast, certainly. Perhaps beautiful. To some, an opportunity.

<><><><><>​

[Ch01] ~ The Supply Wagon Job
...linking aetheric threads...

Ranger Nico – the Wattrel who'd given half the party their introduction to Forlas on their first day – eventually returned as he'd said he would, landing one sunny morning in Founder's Square. Instead of following up on the matter of the party themselves, though, he'd urgently requested volunteers from the first group he found to be temporarily deputised – Felin, Koa, Ridley, and Isidora. Their motivations – and their opinions about being recruited so hurriedly – differed, but all had felt a kind of calling telling them that this was important.

So they'd come.

...harmonising spirit network...

And hey, at least the ranger was paying.

There are bright blue skies above you. There is a gentle breeze. The air smells faintly of sandalwood.

What is it like out there?

Nico was fluttering his wings anxiously and looking about, swivelling his head in every direction. His black and yellow plumage and seabird's beak were strikingly unusual in the aridity of the Soja', but his satchel bag and aviator's goggles marked him as a ranger with a goal in mind. He belonged out here, for sure.

"Sorry to pull you folks away on such short notice," he apologised again, for perhaps the tenth time. "It's just, these supplies were due to arrive in town yesterday, and there's been a lot of fuss about wild 'mon lately. It's less that I need extra pairs of eyes or extra muscle, and more that if the wagon's busted and its crew need help, there's only so much one bird can do at once! Honestly, the help goes very much appreciated."

The landscapes around here really were gorgeous, works of art in shades of russet and rocky golds. Ridley drank it all in, wishing, not for the first time, that he had his rotomphone with him.

"Sorry to pull you folks away on such short notice," he apologised again, for perhaps the tenth time. "It's just, these supplies were due to arrive in town yesterday, and there's been a lot of fuss about wild 'mon lately. It's less that I need extra pairs of eyes or extra muscle, and more that if the wagon's busted and its crew need help, there's only so much one bird can do at once! Honestly, the help goes very much appreciated."

"Hey, don't worry about it," Ridley said again. "None of us would be here if we weren't willing to help, right?"

It was more general a statement than Nico perhaps realised, given the nature of their party. Ridley knew Felin and Isidora, of course, and he was pretty sure he recognised the electrike from the Traveller's Haus. All of them were, on a very fundamental level, only here because they'd been willing to answer a call for help.

On a more specific level, Ridley was here because he was hoping Nico might be able to put in a good word for them at the Ranger Union. If he wanted to get a proper look at the mystery dungeons, then making a good showing of himself here seemed like step one.

Finally, a chance to be a hero. Well, not exactly a hero, checking on a missing supply wagon wasn't the super heroic, but at least he could do something. Plus he wanted to know more about what 'Rangers' here were like. If anything, they could get one step closer to solving what was going on...

Besides, Koa had never met Nico, but the bird seemed cool. He liked him already.

Honestly, the help goes very much appreciated."
"Hey, don't worry about it," Ridley said again. "None of us would be here if we weren't willing to help, right?

Koa nodded along with his temporary partner, an odd looking Cleffa (he was sure something was very off about it, maybe it was a regional thing?). He really needed to get to know his teammates... There was a strange green feline he vaguely remembered seeing around, and a Sneasel, but not Nip. He was certain he'd seen at least two other Sneasel too, unless he was seeing doubles. Feathers, he wished he could recall their names. He hoped they hadn't introduced themselves and he had forgotten...

"Anything we can do to help! On the off chance we run into any, what kind of wild pokemon live around here?"

"Oh this is nothing! We'll keep the wildeners from making a mess of things" Felin said, drumming her paw on her chest. She seemed eager for this job. Perhaps her brush in with a wildener pokemon the other day left her wanting to settle a score.

Isidora claws were placed firmly on the brim of her hat, her eyes glued to the horizon, struck with wonder. The last time she had been out this far it was dead at night, and truthfully she'd been avoiding straying too far from town since. The daytime here had a far different energy to it, hostile yet unpretentious, like the world was laying itself bare at her feet. She had never thought of herself as the adventurous type, but perhaps she was merely slipping back into an old state of mind...

The request might have played a part in that. It reminded her of the kinds of requests she'd sometimes see back home: something's wrong, might be wilds, go solve it. The Rangers didn't sound like an organization dealing with petty problems and accommodating travelers, though. Neither was the board. Makes me actually miss the guild a bit.

"Hey, don't worry about it," Ridley said again. "None of us would be here if we weren't willing to help, right?"
"It's not like we were doing much of anything," she agreed. She was torn between regretful and thankful that Odette couldn't make it; unfortunately, Ridley could. Felin at least had admitted to being a sprigatito earlier, and she definitely seemed like one either way. The electrike was a different story. Isidora felt she had seen the electrike in the library on some occasion, alongside a sighting at the Haus. If I had two silver for every blue dog I've met so far... She'd have four silver, which wasn't a lot but it was weird there were two of them.

Last edited:
Nico seemed to loosen up a little as his deputies spoke up. Did something about silence bother him?

"Well, this area's part of my regular patrol, and I gotta tell ya, it sure ain't safe for civil travellers around here. At least, ones on foot. Folks are liable to get jumped by wild bugs with every minute spent at rest! You gotta keep up a steady pace, or stay airborne."

He did something with his beak that seemed equivalent to sucking one's teeth.

"Or be in a wagon. That's the thing – usually the critters don't go for wagons. I'm thinking maybe it just fell into a freak fissure, or the 'mon pulling it had too many beers and veered off into the ricegrass, but even then there's a chance some wild 'mon could have gotten to it, and we might have to fight them off. But don't you worry, I'm here to keep you safe."

Nico took to the air again, still surveying the pale yellow fields and sparse trees all around. After a minute, he called in surprise, and pitched down to swoop off-track.

Nico walked from Dusty Highway to Field Trail.

"C'mon, follow me, I think I spotted something!" he called back to the party.

Nothing was visible to any of the four heroic spirits from where they were stood, but perhaps the seabird's vision exceeded theirs.

[ ] Objective: Follow Wattrel Nico.
You can Walk from one zone to another once per player phase, either before or after you take the rest of your turn. Walk from the zone you're in to the next zone to keep up with Nico!

There was nothing for it but to head off into the tall grass.

This is a tutorial mission. Complete objectives to make progress! When you complete your last objective, you'll complete the mission.
You'll only fail the mission if everyone in the squad is Knocked Out – but don't worry, you are certain to succeed!
The terrain is flat – there is no Cover in the area.
The terrain is flat – Mobility is not a concern.
You have no Items on your person, for now.

There was nothing for it but to head off into the tall grass.

Ridley (46 STM, 5 TMP, 0 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Walk to Field Trail
- **Bonus Action:** Focus (+5 TMP)
Net change: +0 STM, +10 TMP
Net totals: 46 STM (46 after regen), 15 TMP
(FULL REST)

"Off we go then!" Felin said, following after them.

Code:
Felin used the secret art of walking!

Felin (45 STM, 5 TMP, 0 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Walk to Field Trail
Net totals: 45 STM (45 after regen), 15 TMP
(FULL REST)

Last edited:
But don't you worry, I'm here to keep you safe.
Isidora's ears flattened. She didn't like being coddled, but after the way her previous attempt at practice went...

Can I really fight like this?

Isidora Walked to Field Trail.
Isidora (43 STM, 5 TMP, 0 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Walk to Field Trail
Net totals: 43 STM (43 after regen), 15 TMP
(FULL REST)

Koa's ears perked up. Keeping an eye on Nico above, he started toward the tall grass. It was easy to imagine, if just for a moment, he were trainer again, travelling through some tall grass on an adventure...

Koa pressed forward on the left control stick!

Koa (41 STM, 5 TMP, 0 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Walk to Field Trail
Net change: +0 STM, +0 TMP
Net totals: 41 STM (41 after regen), 5 TMP
(FULL REST)

The squad walked to Field Trail.
[ ✅ ] Objective: Follow Wattrel Nico.
The squad is getting focused!

"Hey, watch out!" called Nico from above. "There's bugs hiding in that ricegrass! You'd better knock 'em out!"

A group of wild tarountula appeared.
[ ] Objective: KO the tarountula. (0/5)
Nico Called out to Koa! +3 Tempo!
You can see information about your own condition and your current enemies in the Combat Sheet.

Your own info is found in the Volatiles tab:

1694981685524.png

Info about your opponents is in the Enemies tab:

1694981642077.png

Nico whistled encouragingly to the four heroes down below.

"Hey, they don't look that tough! I'll bail you out if I gotta, but you should be fine! Look, I'll prove it!"

The Wattrel threw down a jolt of electrical energy, then swooped down to finish off the bug.

Nico's Thunder Shock dealt 15 dmg!
Nico's Peck dealt 19 dmg! It's super-effective! KO!!
[ ] Objective: KO the tarountula. (1/5)

Nico had a head start on everyone else, however, and the spiders were already preparing attacks of their own.

Tarountula's String Shot! Felin's Spd was lowered by 1!
String Shot! Isidora's Spd was lowered by 1!
String Shot! Koa's Spd was lowered by 1!
String Shot! Ridley's Spd was lowered by 1!
Tarountula's Tackle dealt 7 dmg to Felin!
8 dmg to Isidora!
6 dmg to Koa!
2 dmg to Ridley! It's not at all effective...

"Pace yourself! That webbing will tire you out faster!"

Your Speed Stage affects how much Stamina you use when you use Moves.
At lower Spd, you'll use more Stm when you attack. Be sure to enter your Spd stage in the Turn Planner.
Some kind of connection between you is allowing you to make tactical decisions together in the moment! Use superior tactics to defeat your opponents.
However, all the hostiles present are wild Pokémon, and not especially smart or strong ones at that. Don't overthink things.

Last edited:
Ridley cried out in shock as he was struck, unleashing a wave of Fairy-type energy against the tarountula.

"Hit them hit them hit them!!" he yelled at his nearest companion - the electrike - before shouting for a third time, causing one of the tarountula to flinch back.

Ridley (46 STM, 15 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Disarming Voice @ tarountula (-6 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Koa
- Astonish @ tarountula (-11 STM, effect, -7 TMP, +2 TMP)
Net change: -19 STM, -3 TMP
Net totals: 27 STM (38 after regen), 12 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Finally! A fight! He'd been practising a little and he'd been wanting to try out some of the new things he'd been working on. Growling in annoyance, he pawed the webbing off his paws and focused. Before him were a ascattered group of strange spider-like pokemon. Nothing he recognized, but they didn't look particularly tough.

"Hit them hit them hit them!!" he yelled at his nearest companion - the electrike - before shouting for a third time, causing one of the tarountula to flinch back.

"I got this!" He could feel now, even stronger, that spark, the drive to battle. Bouncing lightly from paw to paw, he glanced around at his teammates. Maybe he could...

Drawing a deep breath, he gave a sharp howl, then charged at the nearest spider. He raised his paw and struck - once, then twice, throwing extra oomph into the second blow.

Koa used double Mach Punch!

Koa (41 STM, 8 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
- Howl (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- Mach Punch @ Tarountula (-6 STM, +3 TMP)
- CRITICAL Mach Punch @ Tarountula (-9 STM, -20 TMP)
Net change: -36 STM, -7 TMP
Net totals: 5 STM (15 after regen), 1 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Isidora's claws unsheathed as she frantically backpedaled from the tarountula's attack, nearly tripping over the constricting effect of their String Shot. Shit!

She needed to focus. She needed to calm down. I can't use magic. Most of my moves are gone. I'm not used to running in these sandals yet. Unlike back home, any hit I take can make me bleed or worse.

She threw her hat off and placed her paw on her left shoulder, feeling the the sting of the wound she had accidentally left there underneath her fur. But you figured out where to draw moves from. You still know how to fight. You can handle a couple spiders. She drew her claws down her arm's length until both paws met, claws sliding against each other in one quick motion as she bared them at her sides. Nothing happened. But the familiar motion kept her grounded.

Isidora Focused!

"Okay, let's go!"

Isidora rushed forward with all the speed she could muster and slashed at the closest tarountula once, then twice, before jumping back. On instinct, ice began to coat her claws, and noticing one of the other spiders was distracted she allowed that energy to coalesce before throwing the Ice Shard at them, with one more for good measure.
Isidora used Quick Attack twice on Tarountula!
Isidora used Ice Shard twice on Tarountula! Critical Hit!

Isidora (43 STM, 15 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Quick Attack @ Tarountula (-6 STM, +2 TMP)
- Quick Attack @ Tarountula (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
- CRITICAL Ice Shard @ Tarountula (-5 STM, -20 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Tarountula (-7.5 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -30 STM, -7 TMP
Net totals: 13 STM (23 after regen), 8 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Felin sprang into action with their prey in sight. She wanted to go around them and strike from behind. It seemed simple enough, had it worked. No sooner had she gotten to her feet than a string of webs draped down her back and yanked on her feet. She fell and got face full of dirt, but she just barely braced herself to avoid the worst of the tackle that followed.

"Argh! You splindly yarn balls! I just had my fur groomed," Felin said, clawing the webs off her arms.

The others were already rushing the spiders. Felin constricted her eyes to slits and scraped her claws together. She was intent to toss her own boot into the ring.

Felin focused her eyes on the prize!
Felin used Hone Claws to Power Up!

"Let's start with you!" Felin pounced with a toothy grin at the nearest Tarountula in sight.

Felin used a Critical Trailblaze!

Felin (45 STM, 15 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Hone Claws (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- CRITICAL Trailblaze @ [TARGET] (-15 STM, -20 TMP, +4 TMP)
Net change: -36 STM, -9 TMP
Net totals: 9 STM (20 after regen), 6 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Player Turn 2

Ridley's Disarming Voice deal 4 dmg and 4 dmg to two tarountula!
Astonish dealt 7 dmg to a tarountula! It flinched!
Koa's Howl pumped up the squad!
Mach Punch dealt 8 dmg! It's not very effective...
Mach Punch dealt a CRITICAL 9 dmg! It's not very effective...
Isidora's Quick Attack dealt 10 dmg!
Quick Attack dealt 10 dmg! KO!!
Ice Shard dealt 13 dmg!
Ice Shard dealt a CRITICAL 16 dmg! KO!!
Felin's Trailblaze dealt a CRITICAL 17 dmg!
KO!!

"You guys catch on quick!" whooped Nico, genuinely astonished.

With a blur of airborne motion, he darted in and finished off the final tarountula.

Nico's Quick Attack dealt 12 dmg!
Quick Attack dealt 12 dmg!
KO!!
[✅ ] Objective: KO the tarountula. (5/5)

"Great, now we can take a breather... There's no way we're pressing on with everyone near-exhausted and all slowed-down."

Checkup happens after each player phase as well as each enemy phase. Status ailments, weather damage, and other "between turns" effects will take effect then. You recover Stm during the player checkup. Hex Timers such as your -1 Spd also tick towards decay during player checkup, while Boon Timers such as your +1 Atk tick down during enemy checkup.

On any turn where you perform no Moves, i.e. you spend 0 Stm, you take a breather and recover an extra 25% Stm that turn.
[ ] Objective: Take a breather!

"Great, now we can take a breather... There's no way we're pressing on with everyone near-exhausted and all slowed-down."

Now that his initial alarm at the attack had passed, Ridley found himself both a little embarrassed about how easily his composure had slipped, and surprised at how easy fighting had been. His moves had flown out of him instinctively, without any thought and with barely any control on his part. He'd barely known what moves he was using until they were already out of his mouth.

That was something he needed to get better at directing, Ridley decided. He'd never considered himself much of a fighter, but obviously he was going to have to learn.

While his companions rested he hummed to himself, concentrating on the way he could feel energy rising up in his body and trying to figure out how to push it into specific forms.

He remembered the sudden rush of strength he'd felt when the electrike - Koa? - had howled during the battle, the sense of encouragement and invigoration which had come with it. As Ridley focused on that feeling, his humming started to echo the sound of Koa's earlier howl.

Ridley used Copycat! Ridley used Howl!

Ridley (38 STM, 12 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Copycat (Howl) (-28 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -30 STM, +7 TMP
Net totals: 8 STM (19 after regen), 19 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Isidora was left panting at her exertion, but at the sight of her downed opponents, she couldn't help but smile and whisper to herself. "Heh, still got it." And then it faded and she started licking her claws clean. Stupid idiot, it was just a buncha spiders.

She moved to grab her hat back off the ground, dust it off, and stuff it in her bag, keeping an ear out for any other wilds. Looks like we might be good for now. She then took the moment to tear off some of the threads clinging to her fur. Looking around, no one seemed very pressed about the unconscious tarountula lying around the field. Is no one gonna...? And then she realized. Maybe it's only a courtesy where I'm from.

She withdrew her claws and carefully began dragging the tarountula back into the grass they had been hiding in.

Isidora moved the Tarountula off the field.

It was difficult to rest when the heat was so exhausting, but now that Isidora realized she could still use Ice Shard, the cold energy in her claws was able to give some small respite. Ridley's odd humming momentarily confused her -- The hell even is he!? -- but she didn't object to the feeling of power that it invited. She looked over to the electrike and decided now'd be the best time to ask. "So uh, I didn't get your name. Mine's Isidora."

Isidora (23 STM, 8 TMP, -1 SPD, 0 ACC)
- Interact @ Move Tarountula off field (-3 TMP)
Net change: +0 STM, +7 TMP
Net totals: 23 STM (43 after regen), 15 TMP
(TAKE COVER)
(FULL REST)

Last edited:
Felin watched Isidora rounding up the downed and twitching tarountula into the shade of the nearby shrubbery. Before she could comment on it, Ridley's howling voice sang through the air.

What in Zeroara's bolt was that? The elektrike made sense, but she never fathomed the cleffa creature could sound like that. Seriously, what was he??? It was ludicrous enough that Felin couldn't help but laugh as she sat on her haunches, only pausing once to catch her breath and laugh again.

Felin (20 STM, 6 TMP, 0 SPD, 1 ACC)
Net totals: 20 STM (42 after regen), 16 TMP
(TAKE COVER)
(FULL REST)

Back
Top Bottom