• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Evolution vs. Creation

I believe in both.

There's nothing that states that, because God created everything, nothing could have evolved.

Well, saying that I "believe" in evolution isn't quite right. It's a theory backed by solid, direct observation, which essentially makes it a truth. I can understand if you worded it that way for convenience's sake, but it's always irked me a bit.

That said, I'm purely on the evolution side. It's pretty obvious that we're of primate lineage. We look like them, we act like them, we even share their opposable thumbs. Plus, there's that whole 98% DNA likeness thing. I'm not sure why a God would create us in his image, then go through the trouble of creating a bunch of animals that look extremely similar except with more hair.

However, this doesn't rule out the presence of a God, unless you take the Bible entirely literally (which is a pretty silly thing to do). I personally don't believe there is one, but evolution doesn't eliminate the possibility.

In my opinion, it's entirely silly to not believe in natural selection because well, it's basically applied to breeding dogs and forming breeds.
Evolution is based and backed with fact, and plausible, but it's just a theory.
Evolution doesn't rule out the possibility of a God or gods, either. It just explains how things developed and could have easily been started by some sort of deity.
Also, if the Bible attempted to explain evolution/natural selection, how many supporters do you think it would have gained initially? People would likely not understand or something. It would be fairly easy for God to present a simplified version to appease people because in this scenario he technically did create everything. People back then would probably shy away from a religion that presented itself as that complex, and it might be called ridiculous because obviously, their science was not that far advanced.

I support evolution basically because it is a sound theory with fewer holes than some may make out. It's been observed not only in micro-organisms but in macroscopic species (see the wall lizards introduced to an island in Croatia and how they quickly adapted to their new environment). These are simply examples of microevolution, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine given more time macroevolution would occur.

There is the possibility that an outside force, a God perhaps, may have created everything, and if they did, I think evolution would have been the means. Though personally, there's nothing to give me any motivation to believe that a God created us, because I haven't seen any evidence, nor has any evidence arisen to prove a God's existence. (I guess that's why they call it faith)

Anyone who believes in creationism is a dipshit qtiyd
Going on "oh I LIKE ~this~" and ignoring sense is dumb.

There is the possibility that an outside force, a God perhaps, may have created everything, and if they did, I think evolution would have been the means.
A god or godesque force tweaking things or nudging them to gradually change wouldn't be evolution at all wtf

yeah evolution isn't something you 'believe in.' it happened.

you don't debate over whether it happened, you debate over whether or not you're an ignorant dumbass.

A god or godesque force tweaking things or nudging them to gradually change wouldn't be evolution at all wtf

Actually, it would. It can be reasoned that way, even though to me it seems a little too much like a complicated method if something is all-powerful, so I don't believe it. But just the theory doesn't directly contradict the existence of a God.

Let me state this again, so no one misunderstands me: I'm an atheist.

In my opinion, it's entirely silly to not believe in natural selection because well, it's basically applied to breeding dogs and forming breeds.

uh no that is artificial selection
Evolution is based and backed with fact, and plausible, but it's just a theory.

STOP SAYING "JUST A THEORY" HOLY FUCKING CHRIST I HATE IT ARGHHHHH

We know less about the theory of gravity than the theory of evolution. Let me say this slowly: as far as the scientific community is concerned, evolution is true. The chance it is wrong is negligible. You will be laughed at for saying "but it's just a theory!".

Creationism isn't as far-fetched as you might think, though... There is something up there. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. Do you know what I'm talking about?

I can safely say what is wrong with the world, and state it in two words: George Bush. He has attempted to corrupt the entire world with his stupidity for 8 years now. Actually, I should change that to another two words: Human Stupidity. THAT is what is wrong with the world. There is nothing up there. No splinter, nothing driving me mad. Just stupid people. Actually, there is something driving me mad. Naive people like you. You cannot assume that I feel something up there.

I can safely say what is wrong with the world, and state it in two words: George Bush. He has attempted to corrupt the entire world with his stupidity for 8 years now. Actually, I should change that to another two words: Human Stupidity. THAT is what is wrong with the world. There is nothing up there. No splinter, nothing driving me mad. Just stupid people. Actually, there is something driving me mad. Naive people like you. You cannot assume that I feel something up there.
Yes. Yes. *nods affirmatively*

I follow both. There's nothing saying that they can't both work out. The way I see it is that God made the basing of every animal ((IE: one cat species, one dog species, etc.)) and allowed them to change over time into different forms of said animal.

I can safely say what is wrong with the world, and state it in two words: George Bush. He has attempted to corrupt the entire world with his stupidity for 8 years now.

This has nothing to do with anything, you just like banging on about George Bush.

Personally I follow Evolution but I'm not about to go around saying everyone who doesn't is a dumbass.

This has nothing to do with anything, you just like banging on about George Bush.

Actually, it does have something to do with the topic. Music Dragon said that I could feel something wrong with the world. I do feel that Bush is what is wrong, therefore, justifying my point.

What? Why would one person be what is wrong with all of humanity? I mean, sure, if you don't personally like him, fine, but you can't say that everything wrong with humanity is attributed to just one person. It's like saying 'I'm dumb because Bush made me that way'.

Personally I follow Evolution but I'm not about to go around saying everyone who doesn't is a dumbass.

They didn't say because you don't believe in evolution you're an idiot.

It's apparently if you do believe in creationism that you are.

I follow both. There's nothing saying that they can't both work out. The way I see it is that God made the basing of every animal ((IE: one cat species, one dog species, etc.)) and allowed them to change over time into different forms of said animal.

I have a few questions:

1. Why is there a god in this reasoning considering there doesn't need to be one?

2. How can you 'follow' a scientific theory?

3. How do you explain the dinosaurs, their extinction, and the things that survived by this reasoning?

3.5. Oh, and, you know, all that evidence for evolution before cat and dog species and the like even existed?

Back
Top Bottom