• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Experimental Shoddy Tournament

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
TCoD Wi-Fi League: Shoddy Battle Tournament

As I mentioned in the "future of the league" thread (which is still open to any input you might have, by the way), increasing the league's scope to include online battle simulators like Shoddy Battle is something I've been considering and something that several people seem to be interested in.

So, to gauge interest and experiment with how well this will work out for the league, I'm holding a Shoddy Battle tournament. Since this is just a test to start things off, this is a very simple tournament. There's plenty of room for quirky tourneys and other league activities later if this proves to be a success. (A NetBattle Supremacy tournament will be held in the future, so people can decide which of the two simulators they would prefer the league focus on. It is possible that we might be able to work with both to some degree, but we'll worry about that later.) The rules are as follows:

-This is a standard, single-elimination tournament, 6vs6 single battle. The league's ban list is the one we will be using, not Shoddy's or anyone else's. Any Pokémon not on the ban list is fair game.

The one exception to the ban list is the special Rotom forms: you are allowed to use those in this tournament. Sky Shaymin and Origin Giratina are still illegal.

-Sleep clause, OHKO clause, and DT/Minimize clause are all on.

-The entry deadline is February 22nd at 11:59 pm/23:59, GMT-5. The first round of the tournament will begin on the 23rd.

-I would prefer that people register before signing up for this tournament (if they haven't already), and then provide a link to their ID in the Records Office when they post here. Since this is just an experiment, though, I'm not really going to enforce this. If you want to register with the league but do not have a friend code, just put (Simulator Only) in that space, please.

-The minimum number of entrants is 4, though I would prefer that the total number of entrants was 8 or 16. If the registration deadline is nearing and there aren't enough entrants/the number of entrants would make the brackets strange, I will make whatever adjustments are necessary.

-Each round will last for five days, and it is up to the two battlers to get their battle done within that time. You must report your battle and its results in this thread (the score does not matter; the only thing that matters is who won and who lost). If you have tried to contact your opponent but they do not get back to you by the fourth day of the round, post here and let me know. If you and your opponent have been in contact but are having difficulty connecting with one another and actually having your battle, let me know about that as well so I can make accommodations if necessary. Any battles that have not been reported by the end of the round and with no notice given will be considered a double-forfeit. If you know in advance that you're going to have a scheduling conflict, I would advise against signing up.

-Since we don't currently have our own server space or anything set up, all battles will take place on the official Shoddy server. It would probably be for the best if you only did unrated battles for the tournament, as this isn't part of Shoddy's ladder rankings and you probably don't want to mix the two.

-Platinum-exclusive moves are allowed in this tournament.

-I am going to trust everyone to get their battles done properly, so I'm not going to require a set time for everyone to be on the server and get all of their battles done so people can watch or whatever. That's just as inconvenient for me as it is for most other people, I'm sure. It is up to you to PM your opponent and set up a time that you can both meet on the server and have your battle before the end of the round.

-Make sure that you and your opponent are aware of the usernames that you will be using when you log onto Shoddy! Battles against other people don't count, so you need to be absolutely certain that it is your assigned opponent that you're battling before you come running in to report the results!

-The usual league rules about dishonesty apply; read the rules if you haven't already. If you suspect that your opponent was dishonest and want to prove it, save a copy of the battle log and PM it to me with your complaint. Do not intentionally disconnect before the battle has ended; deliberate disconnects count as a forfeit. If you actually have a bad connection, tell your opponent about this beforehand (mentioning it in your tournament sign up post is probably a good idea as well); if your opponent believes that your disconnect really was accidental, then go ahead and replay the match. Disconnects that occur more than 12 turns into the battle are considered deliberate no matter what. If your opponent disconnects/disappears and you think it was deliberate, save the battle log and PM it to me, please.

If you don't have Shoddy Battle, you can download it here. It should run on all major operating systems.

Shoddy Battle is geared toward competitive battlers, and so this tournament is a competitive one. You can still participate if you are not a competitive player, but you will probably be at a disadvantage. Shoddy *can* be used for non-competitive battles, however, and if any non-competitive players are interested in trying it for that purpose I can see about arranging non-competitive Shoddy tournaments sometime in the future.

Tournament Registration

To register, simply post in this thread and say so. If you are registered, provide your registration link, please. It would also be extremely helpful if you included your timezone (in GMT!) and the username you will be using on Shoddy. Your opponents will be determined randomly wherever possible, but if you're afraid that drastically differing timezones will make meeting your opponent impossible I can try to switch you around with someone who lives in a timezone closer to yours. You may also post in this thread if you have any questions or comments about the tournament; after the tourney is over, you can also use this thread for feedback about using Shoddy in the league (did you enjoy it? would you participate regularly if it was included? do you want to try quirkier tournaments and events with it?)

Unfortunately, I can't really offer a prize for this tournament the way I usually do for the Wi-Fi ones. This is just a test and a bit of fun, anyway, so, you're... all winners? D: I mean, I guess the winner could get some sort of title or something, although those are usually reserved for more official tournaments. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

Entrants:
1. Dragon (Windragon, GMT-8)
2. Fredie (Fredie175, GMT)
3. Grimdour the Desecrater (Grimdour, GMT)
4. Full Metal Cookies (That Heiderich Boy, GMT-8)
5. Walker (GMT-5)
6. Terry T. (Puplip, GMT)
7. Mewtwo (GMT-5)
8. Oreku (Oreku, GMT-7)
9. Firestorm (Arcane9, GMT-5)
10. rock-ground (RG, GMT+8)
11. Skymin (missingn087, GMT-6)
12. Negrek (GMT-5)
13. Hikari (GMT-5)
14. moon-panther (GMT-8)

Remember, you need to save yourself a spot by February 22nd! Thanks in advance for helping out with this, and good luck!

Last edited:
Well, I'll join. My username is Windragon, GMT -8:00, yeah. And I automatically win for signing up, yay?

I'll join, I've never used Shoddy before, but I'll give it ago. If you needed my ID; here it is. Oh yeah, and my time zone is GMT.

EDIT:I forgot to add, on Shoddy, my user name is Fredie175

Last edited:
Obviously I already have everyone's registration if they've already signed up; it's easier for me to find if you link to it in the post, though. If I didn't need to be able to find it quickly, why would I ask?

ENTERING. My username on Shoddy's Puplip.
EDIT-GMT time is whatever the UK's is. I don't know about GMT, you see. I'll make my Little Battle Team full Level 100s on the 23rd before my match.

I'll download Shoddy when I get home, and edit with username. But I'd like to join!
BTW, my time's EST (-5, I think)

I'm kind of doubtful of my skills, and I'm a bit rusty, but what the hell.

Username: missingn087
Time Zone: GMT -6 (Central Standard Time)
My ID

Last edited:
Well, you'd be here for the first round, yeah... technically I haven't given the length of the second round yet, so I suppose it could be extended if it had to be.

It'd be even better if people could finish the first round before the five days anyway, and we could move on before that, but yeah, knowing that in advance is something I can work around and isn't a huge problem.

I'd like to join this, if I can please

(Simulator Only) Until I find my Diamond to register.

Okay, sorry I couldn't get this up earlier. I was busy last night.

Anyway, registration is closed and the first round of the tournament starts now. The pairings are as follows:

4) Full Metal Cookies vs 13) Hikari
5) Walker vs 12) Negrek
7) Mewtwo vs 9) Firestorm
2) Fredie vs 14) moon-panther
6) Terry.T. vs 10) rock-ground
11) Skymin vs 3) Grimdour the Desecrater
8) Oreku vs 1) Dragon

so please get your first battle done as quickly as possible; as I said, it would be great if the round didn't have to last for the full five days. If you're really concerned about not being able to meet your opponent for a battle due to time differences, please speak up as soon as possible so I can try and switch you around with people who haven't battled yet.

Now, as you've probably noticed there are fourteen entrants in this tournament, which is a rather awkward number to work with after the first round. There are two ways I can think of to handle this without resorting to handing out byes, which I would rather not do:

1. The second round will be a seven-man round robin, and then the top two (or top four, if you guys really feel like you want another round tacked on when it doesn't have to be) will move on, or

2. Six of the remaining seven entrants will be paired up normally, and the seventh will have to battle someone else--maybe me, I guess, or one of the losers of the previous round, or I dunno, someone. If they win that battle, they'll move on to the next round of four; if they lose, then the next round will either be a three-man round robin or we can do the same thing again to end up with two winners for the final.

Go ahead and get your matches for this round done, and please let me know which of the two (technically three, given the two possibilities for the second option) choices you'd prefer. If no one has any preference, then I'll decide how the second round will work. Or if you have any other suggestions.

The round ends at 11:59 pm/23:59 GMT-5 on Friday, February 27th, so please get your matches done before then if at all possible. If you and your opponent need an extension, you need a new opponent due to time differences or your opponent has not responded to you, you need to say something, preferably by Wednesday at the latest; if not, and if I don't hear from either you or your opponent by Saturday morning, your match will be considered a double-forfeit. So get cracking, and good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom