• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fantasy hold items

Yes, Nintendo doesn't want to retcon the old games and have Eevee be unable to evolve into Leafeon with a Leaf Stone in Gen I where it would make sense for it to in later ones, but Earthquake hits Weezing in old games and they didn't mind changing that.
Definitely this. In addition to all of the pre-evos that need incense to be hatched.

I can't think of any good ideas for hold items so here's one that would probably (definitely) be a terrible idea in practice. A hold item that prevents the opponent from seeing what the Pokémon actually is would be interesting to watch. Sort of like an un-silph scope. Let them work it out by seeing what attacks is has, what is/n't effective against it, what its special ability is. Give it to a Smeargle to confuse them :P

Last edited:
Perhaps a hold item that can manipulate Metronome? For example, one that always calls status moves, always calls attacks, always calls attacks of one type, etc?

Would make metronome a lot more fun to use. Sort of like guided chaos instead of random chaos.

I can't think of any good ideas for hold items so here's one that would probably (definitely) be a terrible idea in practice but a hold item that prevents the opponent from seeing what the Pokémon actually is would be interesting to watch. Sort of like an un-silph scope. Let them work it out by seeing what attacks is has, what is/n't effective against it, what its special ability is. Give it to a Smeargle to confuse them :P

Mew would benefit greatly from that too, methinks.

Yes, Nintendo doesn't want to retcon the old games and have Eevee be unable to evolve into Leafeon with a Leaf Stone in Gen I where it would make sense for it to in later ones, but Earthquake hits Weezing in old games and they didn't mind changing that.
Haha, when I was ten playing Crystal I was so confused about why my Eevee wouldn't evolve with Sun or Moon Stones. Not to mention that several of the Pokémon that gained move-based evolutions in Gen IV could already learn those moves before. :D

Definitely agreeing with the "too many items" thing. They could at least reintroduce the item PC; I feel obligated to keep items with limited availability even if I'll never use them. :/

I can't think of any good ideas for hold items so here's one that would probably (definitely) be a terrible idea in practice. A hold item that prevents the opponent from seeing what the Pokémon actually is would be interesting to watch. Sort of like an un-silph scope. Let them work it out by seeing what attacks is has, what is/n't effective against it, what its special ability is. Give it to a Smeargle to confuse them :P

That's neat in concept, but yes, would be horrifically broken, especially without item clause.

I've always thought there was a niche for an item which prevents the Pokémon gaining experience, to make training newborns a bit easier - slap an Exp. Share on them, take them to the Giant Chasm and then fight Audino and watch the newborn gain all the experience from battles rather than only half.

Haha, when I was ten playing Crystal I was so confused about why my Eevee wouldn't evolve with Sun or Moon Stones. Not to mention that several of the Pokémon that gained move-based evolutions in Gen IV could already learn those moves before. :D

Definitely agreeing with the "too many items" thing. They could at least reintroduce the item PC; I feel obligated to keep items with limited availability even if I'll never use them. :/
oh my god I did this too! I remember being so angry because I really wanted an espeon! this also caused me to hate sunkern for years out of spite. I mean it's not as if they couldn't make up some reason like 'oh well only moonstones from Johto cause eevee to evolve into umbreon heh heh' so it wouldn't break canon.

yeah, I would really like the item PC back. :C especially because I keep EVERYTHING except potions and pokeballs, pretty much. would definitely prefer it to the mailbox because I mean mail who even uses mail game freak nobody that's who :C

in all honesty I kind of would like a surfboard or a magic water bike or something so I don't absolutely need to have a water pokemon on me at all times or waste a slot on surf for some other pokemon. surf is a neat move but like. D: half my pokemon end up learning surf because I'm lazy.

An incense that increases the chance of a hatched egg being shiny.

An incense that increases IVs of the egg.

Some item that lets you evolve trade-evolution pokemon (the catch being that this item is very rare or something).

Not a hold item per se, but a pokeball that works especially well on Legendaries would be cool.

Nothing in particular, but it'd be cool if certain items changed the sprite. Such as BlackGlasses giving the holding Pokèmon shades.

It'd be cool if there were some item that lowered the amount of damage critical hits do to 1.5x instead of 2x. Or something.

I'd like an item that prevents recoil damage, whilst making the Pokemon slower for balance purposes. (Speed Boost Blaziken would love this to death though...)

Back
Top Bottom