• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favourite Bands/Artists?

Ancient thread is ancient...and yet still relevant.

Anyway, Prog. Rock. Lots of it. To name a few bands, The Beatles, Rush, Yes, Genesis (Gabriel era is better by far, though Collins era is okay every now and then, but mostly fuck him), Pink Floyd (Though I'm probably the only person who thinks Syd Barrett is hideously overrated. His tribute song was better than anything the man himself had done.), Dream Theater (Mostly Images and Words),...

Outside of that, mostly just random stuff of all genres. To drop a few names, Tally Hall (They're lots of fun, though "Two Wuv" sucks), Sting (His music gets a bit anvilicious at times, but the guy's got talent), Gorillaz (their non-rap stuff, mostly), sometimes Bjork (I used to hate her, but she's grown on me), most classical pieces (There's very few pieces I can name, but I love the genre as a whole), Michael Jackson, and random video game remixes.

As of now I'm absolutely hooked to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis. If I knew a damn thing about Flash, I would absolutely love to do an animated interpretation of some of the songs, a la "The Wall". But I don't, so I'll have to stick to doodles and my imagination...*sigh*

I'm honestly too scared to post most of my favorite songs in the "Rate The Song" thread or even really talk about them much here, because I'm a lot like Furret in that my music means a lot to me and is almost an extension of who I am, and I know that Prog. Rock is a very hated genre. To be honest, the really REALLY long, "wanky" songs don't feel that long to me if they're well done. This is one of the reasons I can't stand a lot of Dream Theater's music, because they absolutely suck at this. But things like Yes's "Close to the Edge" or Genesis's "Supper's Ready"....fuck yes.

Last edited:
I wonder if I'll get shot for this...

Kanye West, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, DJ Khaled (His songs, not him), The Lonely Island, Lupe Fiasco, T-Pain, T.I., and Lil Wayne's alright.

I like the bands the Cure, and the Talking Heads. And a crapload of 80's songs.
And I've recently formed some kind of obsession over the song Video Killed the Radio Star.

Nirvana's a great band from the 90's. And of course there's Michael Jackson's older stuff (rest in peace).

As for more modern day stuff, the White Stripes, U2, My Chemical Romance (I'm sort of mocked and labeled as emo for my obsession with them, so I try to keep that one more private now), and the Killers.

The Silent Hill soundtrack, and the composer who did the music to 'Revolutionary Road', 'Road to Perdition', 'Cinderella Man', 'Series of Unfortunate Events' (I think his name is Thomas Newman) is amazing.

Those are pretty much it.

~~BLAH BLAH BLAH~~

oh, how this list has changed! i wouldn't consider most of those groups before to be my favorite anymore. (that's not to say i don't like any of them anymore. they just don't give that kind of feeling i get when i listen to truly great music.)

anyway, now it looks more like..

aphex twin, atlas sound (new album 10/20!), the avalanches, the beach boys, the beatles, beck, bjork, black moth super rainbow, blondie, boris, david bowie, cat power, cut copy, daft punk, death from above 1979, deerhunter, echo & the bunnymen, brian eno, gang of four, george harrison, the jesus and mary chain, joy division, liars, lotus plaza, m83, my bloody valentine, neutral milk hotel, new order, new york dolls, nick drake, no age, of montreal, panda bear, phoenix, portishead, primal scream, patti smith
sonic youth, the stooges, talking heads, television, XTC

i don't own any music by the following, but i've heard enough of them to know that they'd be on the above list if i owned any music of theirs:

animal collective, can, deerhoof, dinosaur jr., richard hell, kraftwerk, mission of burma, the modern lovers, neu!, pere ubu, iggy pop, the pop group, roxy music, slowdive, stereolab, t. rex, tom verlaine, wire

GAY 4 PET SHOP BOYS <3 <3 <3
Also Serge Gainsbourg, Benjamin Biolay, Mika, Kraftwerk, Scissor Sisters and Kylie Minogue. Tom Lehrer's pretty awesome too.
Kinda changed a little. Pet Shop Boys still hold a very special place in my heart though and are number one.
But yeah, now it's expanded to this, in no particular order:
Serge Gainsbourg, Jacques Brel, Scissor Sisters, Kraftwerk, The Beatles, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Vladimir Vissotsky (wishing I had more of his music but it's a bitch to find), Vitas (ditto. And feel free to crucify me for liking him btw), David Bowie and the Red Army Choir. I'd like Mika too but he hasn't done anything in like three years and I've grown kind of bored of listening to the same ten tracks over and over again.
I also enjoy Danny Elfmann and Anne Dudley as far as soundtracks go.
so trendy~

I really, really like Kaiser Chiefs.

To a lesser extent, Muse, Hot Hot Heat, and Cake.

I am proud to say that I am an American and I love Cake.

MCR are not emo whatever people pretend

You're kidding, right?

Anyway: I suppose my list is pretty long. Mostly mainstream bands, but meh. Whatever. I like them better than most non-mainstream.

The All-American Rejects
Atreyu
Bloc Party
Breaking Benjamin
Coldplay
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Dream Theater
Evanescence
Fall Out Boy
Foo Fighters
Linkin Park
Muse
My Chemical Romance
The Offspring
Paramore
Pillar
The Raconteurs
The Rasmus
Rise Against
Seether
Skillet
The Strokes
Three Days Grace
Lacuna Coil
Yellowcard

Just a few of my very, very favorites are Muse (my favorite band, period,) The Rasmus, Coldplay, Evanescence, Linkin Park, Paramore, Yellowcard, Lacuna Coil, and Seether.

I can see why they could be labeled as emo.
I just hate being labeled as emo along with them. xD
I don't even look emo, hahah. xD

I have also been listening to a lot of Tegan and Sara and Queen. Those bands are pretty epic. :3

Abnormality, Amon Amarth, Anamanaguchi, Angra, The Aquabats, Attack Attack!, August Burns Red, The Black Dahlia Murder, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Blind Guardian, A Day To Remember, Eluveitie, Elvenking, Ensiferum, Falconer, Galneryus, Gnaw Their Tongues, Goatwhore, Graveworm, Immortal, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Megadeth, Mithotyn, Modest Mouse, Rise Against, Skeletonwitch, A Skylit Drive, Slayer, Success Will Write Apocalypse Across The Sky, The Sword, Symphony X, Tyr, Unexpect, Vital Remains, 3 Inches of Blood.

favorites in bold

Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, OOMPH!, Megaherz, Linkin Park, King Crimson. They're the top few at least, I've got a whole bunch more I like but not as much.

What am I supposed to call skinny guys who wear black makeup? :unsure: Is there a PC term?

yes, "twats"

emo is a completely different genre from what MCR play, if you want emo listen to fucking Fugazi or Mineral or Rites of Spring or whatever

Hmm...

Metallica (1983-1988)
Black Sabbath
Testament
Overkill
Exodus
Armored Saint
Metal Church
Evile
Death Angel...

...to name a few. Yes, thrash metal FTW! I'm not a very mainstream guy :P

Hmm...

Metallica (1983-1988)
Black Sabbath
Testament
Overkill
Exodus
Armored Saint
Metal Church
Evile
Death Angel...

...to name a few. Yes, thrash metal FTW! I'm not a very mainstream guy :P

I'm missing Kreator and Slayer on that list. I see you like Bay area thrash, but do you dig the Teutonic scene as well?

im a big country fan, so i like rascal flatts and sugarland. Also, Aerosmith is pretty awesome. (Kid Rock's All summer long is my ringtone)

Back
Top Bottom