• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fears and phobias.

Neo

Broken glass, your fake reflection.
In one of my other threads someone mentioned having agoraphobia and I just thought, "zomg, I have a hell of a lot of fears" ...

Fears: (in order of extremity)

Needles (injections and piercings - despite loving the idea of piercings. Will completely refuse to go anywhere near.)
Sudden loud noises (absolutely cannot be in a room with balloons, party poppers or crackers.)
Loneliness
Fire
Water
Transport (paranoia of terrible accident occuring.)
Cookers/ heat
Spiders/ insects
Bee/ wasp stings
Chavs and intimidation
Small spaces (mild.)
Heights (somewhat.)
Mannequins (somewhat.)
Death (but isn't everyone? :/)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's also funny the way that fears come about.
For example, my fire phobia is one that was because I had a house fire in my bedroom when I was younger and have feared it since, and another near-death experience with my fear of water, is because I almost drowned when I was younger as well.

Heights, basically. They make me jittery. Small spaces make me really antsy as well.

Nothing too serious, though. I don't have anything I'm absolutely petrified of.

Oh yeah, I've got mild claustrophobia as well, and heights make me a bit freaky-outty too.. I'm so forgetful xP

After looking up agoraphobia (after seeing it mentioned multiple times in the concerts thread), I'm pretty sure that's what it is that I have.

Agoraphobic fears typically involve characteristic clusters of situations that include being outside the home alone; being in a crowd, or standing in a line

Crowds for me. Being outside alone usually isn't so bad unless I hear weird sounds or something and freak out a little... but crowds and long lines are horrible.

The situations are avoided (e.g., travel is restricted) or else are endured with marked distress or with anxiety about having a panic attack or panic-like symptoms, or require the presence of a companion.

Sounds about right as well--I avoid big crowds whenever possible (or try to get the hell outta there quickly, if I have to be around them) and if I can't get away I freak out. And having someone there that I actually know does help a lot (especially if they're able to distract me from the fact that there's 2517 other people around!)

Agoraphobia patients can experience sudden panic attacks when traveling to places where they fear they are out of control, help would be difficult to obtain, or they could be embarrassed. During a panic attack, epinephrine is released in large amounts, triggering the body's natural fight-or-flight response. A panic attack typically has an abrupt onset, building to maximum intensity within 10 to 15 minutes, and rarely lasts longer than 30 minutes. Symptoms of a panic attack include palpitations, a rapid heartbeat, sweating, trembling, vomiting, dizziness, tightness in the throat and shortness of breath. Many patients report a fear of dying or of losing control of emotions and/or behavior.

Sweating, trouble with breathing and/or talking, sometimes dizziness, rapid heartbeat, fear of going nuts, usually doesn't last more than half an hour... that sounds exactly like what happens to me sometimes.

So yeah... I guess I'm agoraphobic. Don't really have any other major fears, though. I'm allergic to bees, but they don't really scare me that much unless it's a swarm (and in that case it's more "I don't want to die from bee-venom poisoning!" than an irrational fear type of thing.) Centipedes scare me a bit as well, but crushing them into dust with a flyswatter generally helps with that.

Spiders, being in crowds aaaaaaand due to having social anxiety, a crapload of stuff most people can do without thinking. Such as using the phone, being out alone, asking people you don't know well for something...

Erm... I guess I'm afraid of being lonely? not lonely as in in a room on my own (I mean I am right now) but lonely as in having no friends and such, which I have had to experience in the past.

I have a vague fear of arguments, not necessarily between me and others but between friends and/or family.

And to be honest I'm not really afraid of death - the concept of being dead is a little unnerving and I wouldn't really like to die in a gruesome painful way, but I don't really have a fear of it as such. I also wouldn't particularly want to die alone and freezing in a corner or something, it'd be nice to be surrounded by the people I love, but on the other hand I wouldn't like them to have the burden of watching me die or something? [/end slight ramble]

Bridges, heights main feqars, though I am wary of my throat, cause if that little bone is broke, you is dead...

Lol, I've got those three upcoming cervical cancer ones at school. Everyone (as in girls, obviously :P) gets forced to have them and I'm gonna kick up a fuss about it and start crying and everything. Cause that is what happens. It gets me into huge fits.

Edit: No one ever understands me when I say I'd rather die of cancer (or *insert potential fatality here*) than have an injection.

Lol, I've got those three upcoming cervical cancer ones at school. Everyone (as in girls, obviously :P) gets forced to have them and I'm gonna kick up a fuss about it and start crying and everything. Cause that is what happens. It gets me into huge fits.

Edit: No one ever understands me when I say I'd rather die of cancer (or *insert potential fatality here*) than have an injection.
That's nothing. It took ten people to hold me down last time I needed a shot.

But yeah. Big needles, psych meds and I'm horribly claustrophobic.

Well I wasn't writing the whole thing because it's so long and awful. It was worse than ten people holding me down, and I was only six.

I used to be afraid of water, and I was actually convinced that I would drown (and stated so), but now I'm over that.

More so, ANTS. I kneeled in an anthill accidentally one day and they crawled on me and started biting...*shudders*

And I said "Ow, they're biting!" and my dad told me they weren't, till they started biting HIM.

Back
Top Bottom