• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fifth Generation Evolutions?

And people say I don't know how well colors go together - the left and right ones especially just hurt my eyes.

And poor kibago is so cute, too! I mean, the fact that this adorable, nicely-colored
610.png

dragon evolves into that horrible horrible eyesore just makes me squirm.

And the colors don't even match :(

I like Ononokusu. Just because you don't like one particular color in the scheme doesn't automatically make the whole thing bad... Kurimugan is mostly fine too- the red just needs to be a little less bright so it goes with the blue better. Aaken does the red-blue-yellow thing right.

Pendoraa is actually kind of hard to look at though. It'd look fine if the spots were the same color as the belly, but that shade of purple makes it hard to tell where the spots actually are. It makes my eyes cross.

Either way those are really the only possible contrast offenders of this entire gen so that's hardly enough to discredit it (or warrant the use of "all the"). Well, those and the genies.

Last edited:
...I thought rafflesias were pretty well-known? There's the whole biggest-flower-in-the-world unbelievably-horrible-smelling thing. I remember reading about it sometime when I was way little.

I like Pendoraa's color scheme. It's frigging poisonous. Poisonous things want to be colored brightly to warn predators not to touch them.

this bro! Mike is right, it is actually a rafflesia. Just a really big one.

Pendoraa is fly like a G6, right, and bitches notice!

I actually think this gen is probably one of my favourites, Pokémon-wise. Although a gen with Erufuun in it just steals my heart. <3

what are you guys on about Pendora is the BEST COLOUR EVER
I'm such a faggot for bright colours so I'm very ok with everything. Ononokus's colour is kinda dodgy though I'll admit :B

...I thought rafflesias were pretty well-known? There's the whole biggest-flower-in-the-world unbelievably-horrible-smelling thing. I remember reading about it sometime when I was way little.

I like Pendoraa's color scheme. It's frigging poisonous. Poisonous things want to be colored brightly to warn predators not to touch them.

Well, I never actually knew such a flower existed. I guess it just depends on where you live though. Apparently they're pretty big in Japan(not surprising at all considering their obsession with weird stuff).

And, yeah, I like the color schemes. The red/blue dragon probably should be desaturated some, but otherwise it's fine, if a little odd looking.

I like Ononokusu. Just because you don't like one particular color in the scheme doesn't automatically make the whole thing bad... Kurimugan is mostly fine too- the red just needs to be a little less bright so it goes with the blue better. Aaken does the red-blue-yellow thing right.

Ononokusu's color scheme just really bothers me... Since I don't really care about the design, the colors was just the last draw that pushed it from "it might grow on me" to "ew". I feel like they should've kept Kibago's dark green scheme so they match better. I suppose they didn't want Ononokusu to look like a Tyrannitar or something, but they they could've used a whole new color scheme (for example, made the whole line yellow).

Yeah. I really like Aaken because it has bright colors and is still pretty. And Nintendo pulled off blue-red contrast perfectly with Salamence, so they have no excuse for making poor Kurimugan look like that.

Either way those are really the only possible contrast offenders of this entire gen so that's hardly enough to discredit it (or warrant the use of "all the"). Well, those and the genies.

Well, if you read the sentence as a whole, I said "All the bright shiny contrasting super-saturated colors", not "all the gen-5 pokemon"... And I did mention that there're pokemon I really like (Bachuru~). My point was that there are a few pokemon with really eye-hurting color schemes and I don't like those pokemon with really eye-hurting color schemes.

The problem is that the purple spots and the pink skin are too close together in terms of color and, since they're both really saturated colors, it hurts my eyes. It might work better if there's more contrast, since the spots would actually show up, which means I don't have to strain my eyes as much to see the spots, getting rid of the eye-burning problem as well.

I dunno, maybe I just have high standards.

"Game Freak are running out of ideas" is a stock phrase said by nostalgic fans who don't like the new Pokémon but feel they need to justify this with something that sounds objective.
100% agree. there are sooooo many ideas that they could use that they haven't, as I have found out while brainstorming for a fandex that I am trying to create.

"por ehemplo": flamingo, ostrich, t-rex, triceratops, porcupine/hedgehog (cyndaquil only sort of counts), raven, donkey, centipede/millipede, armadillo (donphan is kind of debatable on this), hampster, cheetah, raven, and dolphin are all not taken. and this is just actual animals that haven't been used as concepts - they haven't done, say, a centuar, or a chimera, or a medusa. and this doesn't even touch on the myriad of inanimate objects or abstract concepts that would work very well as pokemon, such as a pinata pokemon or chess piece pokemon.

Spr_5b_584.png

this guy (and his prevos) is of the pokemon that people have been shouting "THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!" the very most. but what they don't realize is that there hasn't even been a snowman pokemon yet. if game freak were truly "running out of ideas" then they would have made their three stage ice type evolution line snowman. think how easy that would have been! one ball per stage. but they didn't? why? because this pokemon is sweet (npi), and it's a better and more original idea than just drawing a cartoon snowman and calling it a day. and now they can save that snowman idea for when they TRULY run out of ideas.

anyway:

The fifth gen kicks ass. It is, in my opinion, the best gen since second, POSSIBLY even the best gen since first. Zuruzukin! Roopushin! Jalorda! Rankurusu! Shandera! Kirkizan! Baffuron! Erufuun! Kokoromori! Aakeosu! There are seriously so many great designs. The only ones I don't really appreciate are Abagoora, Daikenki, and most of the legendaries (the genies in particular are embarrassingly copy + paste) .

I absolutely loathe (well, maybe not, but) all those people who lack any self-insight to such a dramatic extent that they can't realize that the only reason they like the old pokemon better than the new is that they are already accustomed to the old. Especially if you have not played the games yet. You cannot really have an opinion on the pokemon just by scrolling through a list of the sprites once or twice. Play the game. Let the designs settle a bit. Try to ignore nostalgia. Then make your judgment.

545.png
+
612.png
= Wingless Giratina?

I remember talking with some friends about the new pokémon as they were coming out. One of them was afraid that
506.png
was going to be a pre-evo of Growlithe. I reassured them by using trends. If you pay attention, odd numbered generations always have new pokémon with little to no pokémon related to previous generations. This certainly held true going to gen 5. Even numbered generations are full of evolved pokémon of older generations and baby forms. Even numbered generations also contain new eeveelutions. Keep an eye out for this trend come generation 6.

Also, my suggestion, don't be afraid of change. It didn't happen so much with the 2nd generation as people were still getting into pokémon around that time. But with every new generation, 2 things happen:
1. People gripe and moan about the new pokémon and say they suck.
2. When it comes to the US, people hate the English names.
What happens every time? Everyone comes to accept them. Those who don't are still stuck back at the 2nd or 1st generation. My point is, just accept them at the start so you can have a greater joy of them by the time you get the game.

The Ice Cream one in particular was awesome. You know what? I dont' think that anymore. They still have plenty of ideas—But I can't wait to see what's new in gen. VI.

re: eye-hurting colors:

612.png

I agree this guy's sprite makes it look a bit garish, but peep the sugi art. It's pretty clear that its armor is just gold/bronze/brass or something similar. I like this poke a lot, it looks like it belongs to gen II which is a very good thing in my mind.

621.png

I think the effect they were going for here is "made out of construction paper", in a kind of puff the magic dragon storybook way. I could be misinterpreting the designers' intent, but that was the first thing when I saw it. Its colors make sense when you consider this: the red, blue, and yellow are the three primary colors and they all look very "medium", so to speak, like the kind of colors you would find in a pack of construction paper. I like this one too, although I kind of wish it had prevos of some sort.

545.png

This pokemon is easily the most badass of all fully evolved early-game bug types. Why hate? I suppose the rings could contrast a little more with the body, but that's a very minor complaint compared with the coolness of its design.

The Ice Cream one in particular was awesome. You know what? I dont' think that anymore. They still have plenty of ideas—But I can't wait to see what's new in gen. VI.
They'll all be legendaries, every last one. :p

(Also this is the first generation where none of the starter Pokémon get Scratch as one of their first moves. Totally irrelevant but shh)

The thing is that I'm not complaining about the designs, just the color choices.

"por ehemplo": flamingo, ostrich, t-rex, triceratops, porcupine/hedgehog (cyndaquil only sort of counts), raven, donkey, centipede/millipede, armadillo (donphan is kind of debatable on this), hampster, cheetah, raven, and dolphin are all not taken. and this is just actual animals that haven't been used as concepts - they haven't done, say, a centuar, or a chimera, or a medusa. and this doesn't even touch on the myriad of inanimate objects or abstract concepts that would work very well as pokemon, such as a pinata pokemon or chess piece pokemon.

Yup yup. Although I can argue that Dodos are ostrich-based, Shaymin is a hedgehog, and we have Murkrow, which is close enough to a raven, and Sandslash, which is armadillo. And we do have a t-rex (tyrannitar) and a triceratops-ish pokemon (bastiodon). Arceus might pass as a centuar, but it's weird enough so that one can argue either way.

Donkey pokemon would be awesome. Or a llama.

Anyone who thinks Nintendo is running out of ideas need to take a look at all the animals they haven't used.

The fifth gen kicks ass. It is, in my opinion, the best gen since second, POSSIBLY even the best gen since first. Zuruzukin! Roopushin! Jalorda! Rankurusu! Shandera! Kirkizan! Baffuron! Erufuun! Kokoromori! Aakeosu! There are seriously so many great designs. The only ones I don't really appreciate are Abagoora, Daikenki, and most of the legendaries (the genies in particular are embarrassingly copy + paste) .

Zuruzukin and Smugleaf are the most badass pokemon ever.

But I like Abagoora and Daikenki! Abagoora is pretty cool (I mean, it's a sea turtle with headgear and a bullet-proof-vest-like shell. It's like, from the black-ops or something.) And Daikenki, while the colors can be prettier, is a narwhal otter combo. Awesomeness++

I loved Zekrom at first sight because it had awesome claws, but didn't like Reshiram until I saw a cool picture of it, and now I love them both. The legendary ponies are pretty cool as well.

re: eye-hurting colors:

612.png

I agree this guy's sprite makes it look a bit garish, but peep the sugi art. It's pretty clear that its armor is just gold/bronze/brass or something similar. I like this poke a lot, it looks like it belongs to gen II which is a very good thing in my mind.

I WITHDRAW ALL PREVIOUS COMMENTS ABOUT THE HORRIBLE COLOR Great Arceus this is awesome.

This pokemon is easily the most badass of all fully evolved early-game bug types. Why hate? I suppose the rings could contrast a little more with the body, but that's a very minor complaint compared with the coolness of its design.

But I'm not hating on the design... >.< I just don't like the fact that the rings and the body are so close together that it's hard to see.

Yup yup. Although I can argue that Dodos are ostrich-based
I was going to respond with "no, they're dodo birds" but then I looked up dodo bird on google images and they indeed look nothing alike. I could have sworn that a dodo bird looks exactly like a one-headed doduo, but aagh, can't win 'em all. You're right.

Shaymin is a hedgehog
Correct, I forgot about this one

and we have Murkrow, which is close enough to a raven
Murkrow is a crow, which is subtly different from a raven, I guess. :\

Sandslash, which is armadillo
I think of an armadillo as "thing with long ears and snout and very thick later of skin that can turn into a sphere". Which Sandslash is not. But I looked it up anyway, and apparently Sandslash is a "pangolin", which is related to the armadillo. Either way, Sandslash is not technically an armadillo, nor does it exhibit any of the distinguishing characteristics of an armadillo, so I think it's safe to say that they have not created an armadillo pokemon yet.

And we do have a t-rex (tyrannitar)
I don't think so. Tyranitar shares nothing in common with T-rexes save for the "ty" part of their names.

and a triceratops-ish pokemon (bastiodon)
I'm not seeing it. :\

Arceus might pass as a centuar, but it's weird enough so that one can argue either way.
eeeh the fact that it doesn't have arms makes me write it off as more of a "long necked horse" but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Anyway here are some animals to replace those invalid ones: toucan, daddy long legs spider, squid, orca, chimera, peacock, okapi, yak, kiwi bird, naked mole rat.

But I like Abagoora and Daikenki! Abagoora is pretty cool (I mean, it's a sea turtle with headgear and a bullet-proof-vest-like shell. It's like, from the black-ops or something.)
I can appreciate your opinion, but I just find Abagoora kind of uninteresting. We don't really need a very vanilla blue water/rock turtle - we already have quite a few turtle pokemon. And when you compare it to Aakeosu, it gets blown out of the water. To each his own, I suppose.

And Daikenki, while the colors can be prettier, is a narwhal otter combo. Awesomeness++
I don't mind it, but it's a bit weird how Futachimaru completely changes upon evolution to a pokemon that isn't really any sort of animal, it's just... a thing.

I loved Zekrom at first sight because it had awesome claws, but didn't like Reshiram until I saw a cool picture of it, and now I love them both. The legendary ponies are pretty cool as well.
Z and R are indeed awesome. However, the musketeers don't look like legendaries or like a trio, and I don't like the idea of quadrupedal fighting types. The genies, like I said, are too copy + paste for me. Kyurem doesn't complement Z + R well enough and looks kind of awkward, Victini and Meloetta are ugly (imho), and... Genosect I actually like.

However, as a group I like them better than the legendaries in gen IV. Here, the legendaries seem deliberately pushed out of the limelight, while in gen IV it was all legendaries all the time. And at least here they're organized into coherent groups, whereas in gen IV some of them were just bizarrely there (Heatran, Cresselia). And these pokemon seem a little less horribly overpowered than the legendaries in gen IV (no christian god creator of everything pokemon this time around, thank goodness)

Bastiodon is based on a ceratopsian dinosaur (this is the one Bulbapedia suggests, though something like this one is a more likely direct influence imo), which is the kind of dinosaur Triceratops is. It's not "a triceratops" per se, no, but I hardly see why one would be necessary aside from being a more iconic member of the family than whatever bastiodon is. (Given that it's supposed to be the mythical "impenetrable defense" to rampardos's "unstoppable force", they'd be more interested in the neck shield than any facial horns anyway.)

I don't think so. Tyranitar shares nothing in common with T-rexes save for the "ty" part of their names.
Eh, I think they look pretty similar.

I'm not seeing it. :\
Well, it's some type of Ceratopsid. It's got the right head-shape and horns. And if they make another Ceratopsid, it might look too similar to Bastiodon. Plus, there's lots of other animal choices like what you listed.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Kratos. What he said, basically.

Anyway here are some animals to replace those invalid ones: toucan, daddy long legs spider, squid, orca, chimera, peacock, okapi, yak, kiwi bird, naked mole rat.

I would love a toucan pokemon. And these are very legit animals. We've had tons of spider pokemon (alright, maybe only about four, but...) but all of them are rather squishy and fat-looking things. A agile or graceful spider would be pretty awesome.

I can appreciate your opinion, but I just find Abagoora kind of uninteresting. We don't really need a very vanilla blue water/rock turtle - we already have quite a few turtle pokemon. And when you compare it to Aakeosu, it gets blown out of the water. To each his own, I suppose.

That's true. I like Aakeosu way more than Abagoora, but Abagoora isn't that bad either.

I think Aakeosu is one of the best gen 5 pokemon, in terms of design. Minus the fact that it's based on one of my favorite dinosaur-bird species, the colors are really nice -- they go together very well despite being contrasting colors, and I love the four-winged birdness and its tail.

They should've have made a velociraptor counterpart. Then it would have been perfect.

I don't mind it, but it's a bit weird how Futachimaru completely changes upon evolution to a pokemon that isn't really any sort of animal, it's just... a thing.

I have to agree with you on that one. Futachimaru is definitely my favorite out of the Wotter line, since it actually resembles its pre-evo and looks cool at the same time.
Z and R are indeed awesome. However, the musketeers don't look like legendaries or like a trio, and I don't like the idea of quadrupedal fighting types. The genies, like I said, are too copy + paste for me. Kyurem doesn't complement Z + R well enough and looks kind of awkward, Victini and Meloetta are ugly (imho), and... Genosect I actually like.

I agree with you completely. Here's to hoping that Kyurem gets a cool form in Pokemon Gray or Spectrum or whatever the third game's going to be called.

However, as a group I like them better than the legendaries in gen IV. Here, the legendaries seem deliberately pushed out of the limelight, while in gen IV it was all legendaries all the time. And at least here they're organized into coherent groups, whereas in gen IV some of them were just bizarrely there (Heatran, Cresselia). And these pokemon seem a little less horribly overpowered than the legendaries in gen IV (no christian god creator of everything pokemon this time around, thank goodness)

This very much. Cresselia I could understand to compliment Darkrai, but Heatran had no excuse.

I remember when everyone was flipping out because, you know, you can catch god and thought Pokemon was over forever.

And then there was Bachuru.

I facepalm every time someone calls the ice cream Pokemon "uncreative." No one's even tried making an ice cream fakemon before, as far as I can see!

And yes, Bachuru is the most adorable thing to every walk the earth.

Back
Top Bottom