• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fire and Ice Mafia

RNP

Despite everything, it's still you.
Pronoun
he/him
NIGHT ZERO
The citizens of Arctos whisper amongst themselves as the announcement is made. The Frostkin had nearly wiped out all life in the village some thirty years ago, and did so with frightening efficiency. The six guardians had gathered for the first time in months to properly discuss the ramifications of this invasion, though they knew the people in front of them may have already been replaced by the enemy.

The mayor had been making the rounds, attempting to keep the citizens calm, while the Firekeeper secluded himself in the library, researching the particular runes and glyphs used by the Frostkin, and any known ways to counteract their magic. The mayor would not admit that the Firekeeper had no idea what to do here, merely that he was "Getting things ready to go back to normal."

As the snow continued to fall, and the sun set, the guardians made plans to meet in the town square each morning until the winter had receded. It seemed likely that the Frostkin would hide among such a powerful group, to make full use of the freedom their authority granted them. Each guardian side-eyed the other as, one by one, they returned to their homes, the final one dousing the coals of the grand bonfire; the Firekeeper would light it once more in the morning, with a sacred flame capable of exorcizing spirits. For now, all would rest, and, hopefully, make it through the night.

Night Zero has begun. All role PM's have been sent out.
Day One will begin May 7th, 2024, at 19:00 UTC

DAY ONE
A commotion flowed through the throngs of worried townsfolk as the guardians gathered in the town center, the blizzard refusing to cease. The Firekeeper hastily lit a bonfire, barely even sparing a glance as he swiftly retreated to the library. Bystanders pretended not to notice the bags under his eyes as he shut himself within the building once more, and they pretended not to hear him cursing through the windows as his research hit the fifth dead end this morning.

A cacophony of voices rose up from the industrial district as the guardians realized their numbers had dropped from 6 to 5. The mayor pushed through the crowd, into the square, breathing heavily with a panicked expression on his face. “The smithy…” he wheezed, as the 5 gathered guardians proceeded through the alleys, the uproar only growing the closer they got to Flora’s home. As they broke through a final line of citizens paralyzed in horror, they saw what had transpired to unsettle the population so.

High above the skyline stood a spire of ice, at least fifty feet up, sharpened to a point. As the guardians squinted up at the tip of the spike, the wind whipping around them even more ferociously, the snow thinned just long enough for all to see Flora’s impaled body, their heart speared through by the gargantuan spear.

The guardians returned to the town center as the mayor attempted to usher people away from the grisly scene in vain. As the quintet stood around the fire, observing the flame as it danced, they began discussion.

The wind almost seemed to be mocking them.

Flora has died. They were a Resident.
Day One ends May 10th, 2024, at 19:00 UTC.

(I would like to begin a secondary vote to end the day at 18:00 UTC instead, if possible. My schedule has changed and this would be more convenient and reliable of a time for phase changes.)

RIP Flora. Wonder what a smithy would have been able to do?

(Also the time change is fine by me)

Flora :( We hardly knew ye

I wonder if the death flavor is going to be relevant here... though I guess in such a small game there may only be one possible cause of death anyway, so maybe not. (Man, do we have an alien. I miss playing mafia games with aliens.)

Anyway, good to see you, Dodge! Do you play mafia much?

This is actually my first game! But I used to lurk around here a while back, reading the mafia games (and also ASB), so I at least have some knowledge, if not experience

The first role that comes to mind for a smithy would be some kind of Doctor, giving people armor, right? But I'm not sure how much armor would protect from, well, this. So maybe it would be something else
Not that speculating on what we may be missing helps much, I guess

i kinda forgot a n0 kill would happen … floraaaa :( especially in a game this small

i assume it was 4v/2w so the balance right now is crazy lol i’m kind of scared for this game

(I would like to begin a secondary vote to end the day at 18:00 UTC instead, if possible. My schedule has changed and this would be more convenient and reliable of a time for phase changes.)
i’ll never be here but it’s ok </3

Hey there! Glad to be here too!

If there are 2 mafia here, we need to get one of them or else we're just done, right? I was assuming it would be just one, though maybe that's favoring us too much...

(Man, do we have an alien. I miss playing mafia games with aliens.)
we are opposite people

and @Dodge that was my thinking too, hopefully that’s not the case?? i usually assume it’s like a quarter to a third wolf (hence guessing 2 out of 6) but i wouldn’t be surprised if it were just one given that mafia got to have their n0 kill so it would functionally just be out of 5

If there are 2 mafia here, we need to get one of them or else we're just done, right? I was assuming it would be just one, though maybe that's favoring us too much...
I was sort of thinking about how the town/scum balance would work in a game of this size. 2 scum seems unbalanced in favor of scum, but 1 scum seems unbalanced in favor of town, so RNP probably had to get creative with it. The truth is always somewhere in the middle, so my initial thoughts were maybe there's 2 scum acting independently of each other (i.e. no scumchat). They have the numbers, but having no coordination saps some of the advantage out of it. Not entirely sure how that would work with submitting nightkills and such... maybe if they both submit a kill it cancels out or something, prisoners dilemma style? Idk, needs workshopping

Back
Top Bottom