• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Fire Emblem: The Gaping Void

Istvan sat in a parlour inside the fort, which had a view that peered out over the walls into the outside world. He silently sat and drank tea, looking outside and seeing a few of the others similiarly sitting around doing nothing.

Tiravs was the first to spot a woman heading down the road, and, when he got a closer look, he saw that she was the villages healer woman, Eta. Eta specilized in the small wounds and sores and aches that plagued farmers regularly. Nothing more, but it was enough to make a living on.

"Oy, Eta?" Tiravs said, hopping to the ground and heading over to the front gate, opening it. The middle age woman panted, having run quite a ways from the village to reach the mercenaries.

"Tiravs, do you know of the bandits that have been stealing supplies from the village and the farms?" she asked, and he nodded. Over the last few monthes, bandits had been, as mentioned, stealing food supplies, vulenaries, and the occasional weapon. "Well, a little boy herding his sheep just found out where their hiding in the woods, and we all decided to pool our money together to..." She held up a purse filled with gold. Relativly small, but it would do.

"Ok. Let me round up a couple of men, and then we'll head out." He said. She nodded, before telling him the location deep within the Crant woods, and heading off. Tiravs, meanwhile, went to a rope tangling beside the gate of the fort, and rang a large bell. Not large enough to be heard in say, the village, but it would get sleeping mercenaries out of bed and outside to be briefed.

Repede was sitting there under the shade of a small tree looking at a lone dove on one of the branches. He continued to watch it until he heard the faint ringing of a bell in the front of the fort, he knew right away that it was tiravs or one of the other mercenaries. So he lazily got up cast one more glance upon the dove and said", You are lucky little dove all you have to do is fly around and be care free, and I on the the hand have to go get briefed for a job. So he turned around and ran towards the front gate.

Once he got there he noticed tiravs and said" What's up doc?"

Hearing the ringing of the bell, Reventhas accidentally dropped his carving to the ground. He sighed, looking down at it. Leaving it there, he flew over to the gate, to Tiravs. "This better be important... I dropped my carving," he said.

---
Valneth strapped his gauntlet back onto his hand, and grabbed his tools and weapon, opening the door to his cottage, and stepping outside. There, he looked around to see Tiravs ringing the bell, and silently walked over to stand behind him.

*For those not here, let's just say you are for now.*

Tiravs stood infront of his men, holding his bow in his right hand.

"Alright. YOu all know about the bandits that have been stealing food supplies from the village and the farmers, right?" He asked, and, without waiting for anyone to confirm it, he continued. "Well, Eta just came to tell me that the hideout has been found. The villagers decided to pool some money together to buy our services." he said.

"So, we're going to the Crant woods to take care of them. Now, according to Eta's description, it's not an actual building, more like a series of tents and one straw hut. So, our objective is to root them out. We want to salvage whatever we can, return it to the owners, and burn down their camp. So, Kevon and I will climb up the trees and shoot. Repede, Reventhas, Argyram? I want you to go full frontal. They don't have any mages, and they only have one archer. Reventhas, you'll want to avoid him.

Valneth, I want you to recover anything we can use in battle, and whatever they may have pillaged that's of any value. Be quick about it, because they may attempt to grab their valuables and run. Istvan, I want you to patrol the boundries of the camp and keep any of them from leaving alive. We have to root out all of them."

"...Anyways, Eta gave me directions to their hideout in the Crant woods. If you have any questions, ask them now." He finished, before looping the bow over his shoulder.

"Argyram, faster! Faster! FASTER!!" Rukas was yelling at the top of his lungs as he held a tight grip on Argyram's pelt. His cloak billowed out above the tiger's tail.

"Shut it, Rukas, it's your fault we're late!" the silver tiger growled. "You were the one who was-"

"Ah, Argyram, watch out-"

Too late. The pair crashed into the gate and into Tiravs' group. Under the cloud of dust Rukas and Argyram were coughing and cursing at each other. When it cleared up both attempted to give their sincerest apologies, but at the end of each sentence ended up blaming the other for their tardiness and whatnot.

"..so, what did we miss?"

"Well, I heard something about me going frontal.. I didn't hear anything about you."

"All good then, so, when are we going to attack?" Rukas had a big smile. Even though he had messed up his first day as a mercenary he was ready to fight, and Argyram gave a battle-read growl.

Istvan headed over to the meeting place. After receiving his instructions he responded, "Whatever you say, Tiravs.", he smiled as he walked off to retrieve his horse. Moments later, he returned on horseback, lance at the ready, "Pillages. What an ugly word."

"Eh, it works. There are uglier words out there. Like...Gizzlebeck." Tiravs said, listing the name of the Royal tax collector. As you could probably tell, he wasn't well loved around the villages of Tyoble.

"...Wouldn't it be more effective to send a warrior, if someone's going to protect me?" Valneth asked, "Rukas is a shaman, an indirect combat unit. Shouldn't he be with you and Kevon?"

"Oh, it'll be fine. These bandits will probably be more preoccupied with the giant tiger, wolf and Hawk that are attempting to kill them. Besides, I doubt Rukas has a long range dark magic spell." Tiravs said. "However, I assure you, Kevon and I will be keeping a watchful eye over the two of you." He said, putting an arm on the thiefs shoulder.

"Um.." Rukas felt embarrassed at Valneth's statement. He was a good unit.. well, he thought so, at least. "Well.. uh, I'm sorry, but I guess I'll have to do, if our leader says so, and I think it's an advantage that I can attack from a distance, but.."

Besides, he thought, if the thief gets in trouble I guess I'm able to.. Rukas moved his hand around under his cloak, adjusting the knife on his other arm.

Hammock disturbing.

(I know you assumed we were here, but I'm going to write what happened before he came there.)

Kevon lay lazily on the hammock, smiling and relaxed as a breeze blew through the clearing of the forest. He tried to keep the worries of work and food in the back of his mind, although they kept on coming back...

A bell sounded, disturbing Kevon's peace. Not bothering him much, he walked out to the clearing of the forest, seeing the town. A group of people gathered around the bell. Were those weapons he saw? Were they mercenaries?

He ran over to the sound of the bell, to the crowd. Just in time to listen to the leader's explanation, he had a question.

"So Tiravs. Is this officially now a mercenary service?" he asked, hopefully.

"Yep." Tiravs said, holding up a small purse of gold. "When we've completed the mission, Half of it will go to our budget for food, weapons and such. Half will be divided between all of us." He said.

"Also, Rukas, Valneth, one more thing you should remember. We are going up against big, bumbling, blundering, blubbering boar-brained bandits. As long as you avoid the slow axe swings, you should both be fine. Once again, they should mostly be going after the various giant animals attempting to kill them." He assured, again.

[I like your bandit description, lol.]

"That's right, Rukas, I'll hold them off and you can zap them from afar!" Argyram grinned, showing the fangs that had bitten many a beorc, and that was something the laguz was definitely proud of.

"Argyram, I don't zap people- I'm a shaman, not a mage." Rukas sighed. "Tiravs," he then said, turning to the archer, "when are we heading out?"

(Lol I know...I'm a genius)

"Right now." Tiravs replied. With that, he turned around, bow and arrow readied, and headed for the forest.

"Yes, bandits are little more than dirty, unkept, snivelling barbarians. Nothing in the face of true professionals.", Istvan commented. At Tiravs' reply and a flick of the reins, his horse walked into the forest after Tiravs.

"I'm not really what I'd call a 'professional'," Reventhas said, running after the others, his short stride making keeping up difficult. "But if bandits are all like that, fighting them shouldn't be too difficult.
---
Valneth merely tightened his gauntlet's strap, and walked towards the forest, not seeing much point in debating the matter any further.

"Alright!" the laguz shouted, making a show of his fangs and claws. He followed the others and easily kept pace with them. Rukas, however, stayed back by a few paces, not wanting to annoy Valneth. He'd show that he could take care of the bandits..

"Hey!" he heard Argyram shout. "I think I smell bandits! Shall we fight?" He bared his fangs and let out a low growl.

"Shh...First, I want everyone to get into position. Rukas, Valneth, Istvan, you come around the right. Argyam, Reventhas, Repede, you come around the left. Kevon, climb that tree over there..." Tiravs said, and began to climb his own tree. They had reached the Bandit hideout. "Wait until I fire my first arrow, then I want the three laguz to start attacking. Istvan, keep any of them from leaving. Rukas and Valneth, go around to the opposite side of the laguz, and get in there once the Laguz start attacking.

Bandit hideout
Four large tents and one straw cottage. Three of those tents can be visited for Steel Bow, Light Rune, and Boots
Objective: Rout enemies
Enemies: 9 bandits/brigands, one archer, one myrmidon, one soldier. Soldier has the name of Grunge, and is the leader. He is holding a Steel Lance that can be dropped upon death.

Currently, only one guard was out, and Tiravs pulled back his bow string, waiting for the others to get in position...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom