• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Friend Safari 2.0

Cynder:
The RNG Gods favor you very well. Also it looks like you asked for a ball but I never gave you it... I blame PokeVend. Consider the mistake rectified.

Seeing the Frogadiers speed and elegance, you decide you want to catch it. you put your arm back, ready to throw, release, and... It spins awkwardly and moves forward very slowly. Remembering you're underwater, you try and think about what to do next when your Anorith, thinking quickly, blasts a Water Gun at your ball, still spinning. Caught by the torrent, the ball blasts toward the Frogadier and catches it instantly. You high-five your Anorith, and start swimming when a splash right by you makes you turn your head. It's a female MarshtompMarshtomp, going toward the bottom of the body of water for whatever reason.

What do you do?

Safari Balls remaining:4
Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male)
Obtained Items:None
Partner Pokemon:Anorith

(I rolled twice for rarity this time, and both times it came up uncommon!!! Are you sure you aren't a wizard or something?)

Catch This one is doubly lucky.

I caught Frogadier as well, so I should now have 2 Safari Balls.

Cynder:
Oh yeah... clearly I'm PokeVend is off his game.

The Marshtomp starts to swim all the way to the bottom. You wonder why, but then you realize that he's just playing with an unseen fish Pokemon. You decide to catch this playful Marshtomp, so you put a Safari Ball in front of you, grab and hold your Anorith in front of it, and perform another Torpedo Ball maneuver. The Marshtomp is instantly caught, and you and your Anorith fist bump before attempting to continue on. However, you barely make it a foot away when the fish Pokemon your new Marshtomp was playing with swims in front of you. You notice its large and blue, and look where its headed.You realize that its a male GyaradosGyarados, glaring at you with resentment. You wonder why, when a thought occurs to you: could this be the Magikarp from before?

What do you do?

Safari Balls remaining:2
Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female)

(OK, its yet another uncommon. Cynder is a wizard confirmed)

Pass, again

What are the odds that you are using? You may want to set them a bit higher.

+3 Safari Balls, s'il vous plait. $6

Last edited:
Cynder:
I use a randomizer site to pick a number 1-100, and it goes as follows:
If it rolls 1-70=Common
71-95=Uncommon
96-99=Rare
100=Ultra-Rare
You've gotten stuff in the 70s and 80s almost across the board. It could be my odds, or it could be that the RNG really like you. I don't really know.

A bit uneasy at the arrival of the Gyarados, you swim away faster than normal, hoping you don't run into it again. Swimming farther into the deep body of water, you realize that you don't have many more balls left! You press the PokeVend buzzer, and surface as quietly and quickly as you can. You notice you're a long way away from where you entered, and you wonder how you'll get back when PokeVend flies over to you. You deposit $6 into the slot, and 3 more Safari Balls come out. You grab them, thank PokeVend, and dive down again, just in time to see a school of fish Pokemon swim below you. You go down deeper, and they scatter, except for one lone female red-striped BasculinBasculin, clearly distracted by a pretty piece of coral.

What do you do?

Safari Balls remaining:5

Okay, so I've got a 70% chance for a common? That sounds fair, so perhaps you should check your RNG,
Or I'm just lucky.

This ones is common, but I was never that interested in Basculin. Pass

EDIT: May I move to the Ghost Area?

Last edited:
Cynder:
RNG=Random Number Gods.
When its up to fate to decide something, from whether or not your attacks in ASB land to what kind of pokemon you'll find in a Safari Zone, we "pray" to the RNG's in hopes that the odds will be in our favor. They must be partial to you, so consider yourself lucky.

Leaving the Basculin to gaze deeply at the coral, you start to head outward, when you start feeling weird. Is it the bends? Is it the pressure? No, you realize, you just feel quite waterlogged, and are ready to head back. You swim for a while, until you reach the same place where that mischievous Floatzel squirted you when you first arrived. You take off and hang up your wetsuit, and head to the trolley, when out of the corner of your eye, a flash of pink darts through the water. You feel a weird chill crawl don your spine, though you have no idea why, but brush it off as nothing. Suddenly, there it is again! You tun to look at it this time, and there a female JellicentJellicent-f floats, looking creepily at you. It seems to beckon for you to follow it, and you do, all the way to the end of the dock. At the end of the dock, you see it floating by some sort of portal, which looks like someone teared through the water around it. Inside is black. Just black. You're almost mesmerized by the Jellicent bobbing up and down, and the really weird portal, but you clear your head to think about what to do next.

What do you do? Do you jump into the portal?

Safari Balls remaining:5

(Quick side note: whenever someone wants to go to a new zone, or I offer a portal to a new zone, I don't roll for a Pokemon, I find a dual type that has the type of the zone that you're in and the zone you want to go to, and have you meet up with it, and have it guide you to a portal. As such, you found a Frillish (Water/Ghost), and before that, ILS found a Kirlia (Psychic/Fairy) when he was going from Fairy zone to Psychic zone. Just a friendly heads up, this only happens when you switch zones.)

Catch, then proceed through the portal.

You do realize that is exploitable? One could then ask for a portal to the Fire area, and effectively choose Lampent. Also, some type combinations have no pokemon (Ghost/Rock), and some combinations have only legends (Ghost/Dragon - Giratina) or extremely rare pokemon (Ghost/Electric - Rotom).

Cynder:
I do get what you mean: I might make a cool down time for portals, or maybe even limit them. But I still rolled to see which dual type shows up: You could've gotten Frillish OR Jellicent, but I rolled an Uncommon (surprise surprise), so Jellicent you got. For instances where there is no type combo for a type, I just direct them to the trolley, legendaries are ban hammered (meaning no zone can have them ever, because, you know, they're legendaries) and not in my area to begin with, and like I said, I roll for the dual types, so Rotom would still be ultra-rare.

Feeling daring, you jump into the water, tap the Jellicent with your Safari Ball, grab your Anorith, and swim into the portal, all in one quick motion. Inside the portal, you can't tell if your eyes are shut or not; its THAT dark. Your head is spinning, and you start to feel a bit nauseous, when you see a light ahead. Falling towards it, you, your Anorith, and several gallons of water hit the ground. You land feet-first, so you remain relatively unharmed, but your head is still spinning, you're still a bit nauseous, and you're quite soaked and feeling worse for the wear, so you take the opportunity to lie down and rest a bit.

When you wake up, you look round. The sky is really dark, so dark that it appears to be night, though you could've sworn it was only the afternoon. Twisted gnarled trees that look like they were sprouted with no leaves line the dirt path you're on, forming a dense, creepy forest. Up on a large hilltop, a huge, eerie mansion stands lookout over the area. It's fairly foggy, and the light gray ominous clouds limit your vision. Behind you is the faithful trolley, its headlights piercing the darkness. Lightning strike the mansion, even though theres no storm, and sends a chill down your spine. Clicking on the flashlight on your PokeVend buzzer, you see something moving in the fog, and your blood turns cold. Scared a LOT, you blink hard, only to see the face of a female GastlyGastly, not an inch from your face. It sticks out its tongue and makes a weird but frightening face, and you jump at least 5 feet in the air, and nearly faint, frightened beyond belief. When you gather yourself together, you see the Gastly laughing at you and your reaction to its prank.

What do you do?

Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female)

Cynder:
I have a contingency plan for that.

Too scared to even pull out a Safari Ball, you run forward, into the mist, past the still-laughing Gastly. You run and run and run until you're too winded to even speak. You take a breather, and then continue on when suddenly you see something move in the forest. You turn in that direction starting to feel scared again, but see nothing. You continue on again, when you see it for the second time; you turn to look, but nothings there. Getting frustrated and scared, you continue on for a third time when you see the strange thing stop in front of the path. From this distance, it looks to be a statue, but statues can't move, so you inspect it up closer. Upon examination, you notice that its a GolettGolett, staying perfectly still where it is, and looking right at you. It also appears to be holding something shiny, which you realize up close is a Ground Gemground-gem

What do you do? Do you take the Ground Gem?

Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female)

Last edited:
Cynder:
Seems reasonable;

Locking eyes with the Golett, you each attempt to stare the other one down. Unblinking, you gently tap a Safari Ball to its forehead, and it goes in without a struggle. Blinking hard, you notice the Ground Gem the Golett left behind until you notice it, fittingly, on the ground, still shining. Picking it up, you continue on into the mist. About 3 minutes have passed, and you grow increasingly nervous, when a purple light gleams from the forest. It starts to get closer, and closer, and closer still, until its about 50 feet away from you. You notice its a male LitwickLitwick, with a strange, mysterious grin on its face.

What do you do?

Safari Balls remaining:3
Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female), Golett (Genderless)
Obtained Items:Ground Gem

Last edited:
Cynder:
Mistake rectified, nice catch! *grabs wrench* C'mere, PokeVend....

Pretty freaked out by the Litwick and its eerie ways, you walk forward again. You aren't but 20 feet away when your shadow seems to solidify and take shape as a blob type thing, and rise up to meet you. About ready to faint at this point, you start to do just that, when you notice two eyes blinking from it; its just a female ShuppetShuppet, grinning playfully.

What do you do?

Safari Balls remaining:3
Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female), Golett (Genderless)

Cynder:
Slowing your heart rate down to around 200 beats a minute, you manage a weak grin, and tap the button to the Shuppets horn point protrusion? spike. You then move on, even more weary of our surroundings than before. Suddenly, a purple thing floats down from the sky... is it a balloon??? No, its a male DrifloonDrifloon, floating down to meet you.

What do you do?

Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female), Golett (Genderless), Shuppet (Female)

(It appears that your amazing luck was only in the water area; you've reverted back to common pokemon for the ghost. Strange... especially considering your name is associated with fire....)

Cynder:
But, of course, right as I say that...

Almost feeling better by now, you give a smile and a wave to the Drifloon. It does the same, and then floats back up into the sky. You do the same, except instead of floating into the sky (which would be cool), you walk on among the trees (which is a little less cool). Suddenly, in keeping with the trend of things floating down from the sky, a YamaskYamask comes down, presumably to go into the forest.

What do you do?

Caught Pokemon:Frogadier (Male), Marshtomp (Female), Jellicent (Female), Golett (Genderless), Shuppet (Female)

(On an unrelated and unnecessary note, this is the 100th post in the FS-II! I didn't think I'd make it this far, thanks to all who posted!)

Back
Top Bottom