• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Frontier Town Outskirts

Bellatrix didn't say much in response to Odette's observation beyond a simple grunt of confirmation. She looked towards the horizon, her eyes narrowing at the approaching figure. "A pity the maus are not here to help with carrying them back," she said. "Nevertheless, we should move them back into our custody, your teleportation would be invaluable for that, Mhynt. As for him, we have warded him off before, we can do it again." Ignoring the fact that they had been weakened a fair amount by the prior battle but they could call other Wayfarers to their side if the situation required it.

"Be at the ready, I have preserved my energy well enough in the possibility of another battle."

"Owen, wait--"

Grace's body seized as the paralysis made her body lock up tight, and the burns were starting to hurt less... or was she just used to it?

She groaned in pain, eager to follow Owen and help. If she'd just had more time, she could--

That presence was growing.

Her chest clenched, and she wasn't sure if it was the paralysis or not.

"I can... I can keep fighting, too...!" gasped Grace, a paw slipping into her pouch to look for her items... she remembered there being another leppa, and she could have sworn one of them blast seed things was in there. Maybe she could throw it at Alexander.

Or maybe he'd kill them.

"I... must not rest," she said, her eyes glowing once again. "If Owen gets no rest, then I should not, either."

Nova had fallen down on his side when Owen and the swarm slipped through him. The fiery radiance and acrid shadows swirled around inside him.

"D... damn it..."

It wasn't enough. It was never enough. Why was it never enough?

... No, he couldn't think like that. Not everything's a guaranteed success. Stand and fight.

With a loud hiss, his left cheek bolt opened. Nova jerked his head and a blue disk fell into his open satchel. He grabbed one that looked salmon-colored and slotted it in.

"Just tell me..." Deep breaths. He had to get this under control. "... What I have... to do."

"If Alex wants a fight then we'll give him one," Koa snarled, moving to stand between the downed Drapion and the approaching darkness.

He fought down the frustration and despair at losing Owen, ignored the sting of fire on his pelt. This wasn't over. They'd saved Drapion, they defeated Ignatius again, and they could get Owen back.

Electricity hummed through him, and beneath that the tingle of Radiance, at the ready.

"...We gain nothing by staying as we are," Mhynt said, standing tall. "But... we have to choose. We either fight him now, and risk him recovering those two"--She gestured to Drapion and Ignatius--"or we flee with them into town. We should get there before he does if I Teleport with my strength. And then... find a way to--"

And suddenly, they felt... a new presence just behind them. One that wasn't there before, and yet suddenly was so oppressively present.

"Do you need any... help?"

In the open, under the darkening twilight, was Mewtwo. Drifting just behind him was Mew with his red hat. Curious of all, he seemed to be holding a bag filled with lightweight-looking spheres.

With his usual, sinister smile, Mewtwo adjusted his suit with his free hand and gestured toward Drapion and Ignatius. "I could make them... easier to transfer, while you get away. A certain someone alerted me to this battle going on... Though, it seems I am too late to truly join the festivities."

Odette was far too focused on the unconcious bodies in front of her to pay much mind to the additional conversation behind her. It wasn't until she felt alerted to a new presence that she actually stood up and was met with the sight of...fucking Mewtwo?

She recalled hearing some of the other Wayfarers talking about a run in with both Mewtwo and Mew, but seeing the two of them in the flesh proved to be more of an eyesore than she had initially thought it would be. What the hell were they doing here? And why was Mewtwo in a goddamn suit?

"Oh, with a smile like that, how about I also throw you all the coins I have in my back pocket and my firstborn while I'm at it?" she said back, her expression as flat as her tone. "Who, pray tell, the fuck are you two? Come to relish in the post-battle spoils of one you conveniently missed?"

Last edited:
What the fuck?

What the actual flying fuck?!

Nova's crest fanned out. Of all the ridiculous possible— gah! The hell was he supposed to do in a situation like this? Make his claims on the spot? That solved nothing and could make everything worse! Yet the faded shadow and radiance were shouting conflicting reasons to make a stand anyway.

Instead, Nova forced himself to look at Mew. "You really want to help? Would we be the ones keeping hold of those poké balls?"

Grace had been in the presence of legends before. Just a few of them.

But they hadn't prepared her for Mew... and what was that larger one? Stars, she was trying to wrack her brain.

"Who...?" she asked, flying over to Nova and landing on his back. "Do we know them...?"

"Yeah. They're the ones who started the whole process breaking my mask."

Nova shifted his weight and glanced at his satchel. "That ball I sleep in often... I got it from them. They're the offworlders who run the bulletin board."

The familiar voice made Koa's hackles rise. He whipped around, tensing as his suspicions were confirmed. A flurry of questions raced through his mind. Who told him? And why was he trying to help? The knowledge that it was almost certainly Giovanni made his skin crawl, and yet...

There wasn't time to debate. He still didn't know what to make of the Mewtwo or know why Mew was working with him. But if Mew truly trusted him... His gaze shifted to Nova, then to the others. "Mew trusts this Mewtwo, and we don't have time to try something else or wait. They're the one's who gave us pokeballs." He nodded towards Nova.

Narrowing his gaze, he looked up at Mewtwo. "I'll do it. Give us the pokeballs, and we can get away. I'm not letting Alex take anyone else." If nothing else, he would save Drapion. Let Bellatrix or Odette decide how to handle Ignatius.

"I am afraid it was inevitable," Bellatrix said firmly as she watched Owen be spirited away by the Shadows. "We can only handle so many Shadows at once and Owen is very clearly a top priority for Alexander."

At the legendaries' appearance, Bellatrix gave the pair a questioning look only to quickly be distracted by the Wayfarer's sudden surprise. She raised a paw towards Odette signalling her to halt with a neutral but chastising expression. They were certainly the mew and mewtwo that the other Wayfarers were making such a fuss about. "Do not be so quick to bite the hand of those who reach out to help us," she said flatly to both Odette and the other suspicious Wayfarers. "It will only serve to isolate ourselves which may not be advisable against such foes." She tilted her head towards Alexander's distant silhouette for emphasis. Yes, the mewtwo certainly did not make any attempt to make himself seem trustworthy but from what she had heard, there was nothing alarming about any of Mewtwo's actions so far.

"But if I may ask," she then said, addressing the psychic pair, "what tipped you off to this little commotion?"

Odette met Bellatrix’s eye, narrowing hers just slightly in the process. It was there she had just enough clarity to realize she was laying it on just a little too thick. Though, how could she not, being that they arrived conveniently after all threats had fled, touting assistance in carrying the wanted mayor and feral drapion. Outliers in a situation that was already under fucking control.

Luckily, she wasn’t far gone enough to not register how intense the Radiance within her had gotten. She paused, allowing herself to focus on her feet in the sand, and the feeling of blood rushing down her arm. Soon, the glow she was emanating faded away, and she was left blinking the lasting sparks out of her eyes.

“Pardon,” she said after clearing her throat. “No intent to isolate. Just asking for an introduction and for a little more specifics.”

"Hmph. It was during my partner's routine checkups. He let me know there was trouble." Mewtwo shook his head and flicked his wrist. Two Pokeballs appeared, made from apricorns, which he tossed toward the Shadow Pokemon that had been downed. Since they were already at such a state, only barely able to stand in Drapion's case, they were captured with ease.

"Don't expect it to hold them with any sense of permanence. They're for travel and storage, but not very good at imprisoning the unwilling... but the unintelligent and uninformed, hm. Perhaps they won't figure out how so soon.

"I was going to offer my services to keep them stored until you find a... better procedure," Mewtwo said. "But if you're so confident, kid..." He flicked the Pokeballs to Koa.

They had a good five minutes before Alexander would be on them, at this rate. They had time to flee. Mewtwo didn't seem all that concerned. Mew, meanwhile, nodded firmly, though he cast a concerned glance Koa's way.

"You... why are you helping us?" Mhynt said. "All of this... charity, going out of your way to help. What's your gain from this?"

"Gain?" Mewtwo said. "There is much to gain from making friends." Once again, he smiled in that sinister way.

They had a bit of time. Maybe... there was a way to get info without going accusatory.

"Names also go a long way toward making friends, y'know," Nova said, clicking his tongue. "And, well, mewtwo's a species as far as I'm aware. Cuz there's one back home. I get if you'd rather not the townsfolk know. But it'd help you earn the others' friendship."

He lifted a foreleg like someone asked him to shake. "You already know I'm Nova."

Koa glanced between Nova and Mewtwo, and the rest of the team. He held Drapion's pokeball uncertainly, and studied Ignatius'. The Mewtwo's willingness to let him have the pokeballs was... Surprising. He'd almost expected some kind of protest. It was hard to tell how much ulterior reason he had.

"What do you guys think? The jail didn't hold Ignatius. We need to do something with him..." Indecision froze him. This was Giovanni. But then, it wasn't like Koa could control Drapion. Until they healed the poison-type, where would they keep it? Maybe Mewtwo should, at least for now? Or at least Ignatius...

He wanted friends? Grace could relate to that.

"Uhm... maybe he just has a funny way of smiling?" she said, unsure on who she was trying to convince. "If they helped Nova, they can't be that bad, right...? Maybe we should let them help us for now, because I don't want to make more enemies while this Alexander guy is coming! And we can't have another big fight..."

As much as she was willing to help, Grace couldn't ignore how low her energy was, and that could be the same for the others. If a handful of Wayfarers struggled against this guy at full power, how would it go for a group of Wayfarers already worn down...?

"My name... Of course." Mewtwo nodded. The way he looked down on them, floating deliberately higher in the air to make sure nobody was above his eye level, seemed to be a deliberate choice. "My name... and my title...

"Is Mewtwo Giovanni, and I am, as you have already deduced, not of this world. I come from beyond, just as you have... on behalf of the careful and watchful eyes of authorities beyond this realm. But perhaps... the time for thorough introductions should come later."

He gestured to the growing darkness.

"Shouldn't you be doing something? Make your choice." He smirked. "You've had to make many of those lately."

Grace found herself slumping on Nova's back. "We... We should go! I don't think we can fight him as we are..." she said, feeling herself getting more tired by the second.

Owen had fled. He was gone, going back to Alexander and out of their reach once again. She hadn't heard his cry for help, but watching the Shadows take him... it made her feel weak.

"I'm sorry, Mhynt... I wasn't strong enough," she mumbled.

Nova shook the air with his foreleg. "Nice to finally meet a version of you."

He lowered his leg and glanced over the horizon. "We should-- I think we have to fall back." Crest drooping, Nova headed over to Mhynt, mindful of his passenger. She'd taken that godawful lightning blast. "I shouldn't have egged you on like that. Do you want a lift?"

Odette quirked her brow at the Mewtwo. She was decently put off by his presence, but announcing his name as Giovanni made her want to laugh. What a stupid fucking name for something like Mewtwo. It felt equivalent to nicknaming the likes of say, Giratina, Bob (not that she had any room to talk; she nicknamed an eldritch beast after a character from Swanna Lake).

But, it was clear he wasn’t of this world. Human, most likely. A really fucking shady one at that, judging by the way he looked at all of them like they were something to take advantage of. Jawile twitched with an urge to bite, and for once, she couldn’t disagree.

She also couldn’t disagree with the fact that they had a choice to make now. Entrust their fugitives with this looming fuckhead, or deal with Alexander head on. Either way, it felt like they were dealing with the prospects of losing these two. Either way, they were dealing with something clearly nefarious. But what was going to be the lesser of the two evils?

She cast one last reluctant look at the fat bird at her feet, then back at Mewtwo and Mew.

They were likely going to regret this. But they didn’t really have much of a choice.

“I’m not so quick to jump into the first life raft without checking for holes,” she said evenly. “So we’ll leave these two idiots in your little pokeballs—" how the fuck they got those here was a question for another day— “but you’re not to tamper with, open, or interact with them in any way until someone from our group shows up to fetch them. And that includes surrendering them to any other parties that might be looking for these two.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom