• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

FUCKING DARK PATCHES, HOW DO THEY WORK?

Run back and forth in front of a patch of grass until something starts shaking.

Run back and forth in front of a patch of grass until something starts shaking.

Building on what she said, I heard for some people it seems to be really rare, so it might take a while. On the bright side, you can find special pokemon. (for example, a Musharna (the evolved form) in the Dreamyard.)

No, it's easier to run next to the grass so you don't need to repel.

With encounter rates being what they are in B/W, though, Repels still help. You have no idea how many times I've gotten patches/dust clouds only to run into something a tile away.

Yeah, but you don't need to keep Repel up all the time that way; you can just put it up when a patch starts shaking if need be and thus save Repel.

EDIT: Also shaking grass patches make a shaking noise as if you were running through them, which helps.

Also, the constant repel is useful if you're training in an area that's almost-entirely-covered with grass/are really lazy. Sure, it's wasting some poké but it makes searching a lot less attention-consuming. :/

With encounter rates being what they are in B/W, though, Repels still help. You have no idea how many times I've gotten patches/dust clouds only to run into something a tile away.
Are you running or walking? I can believe that it happens a lot in caves, but that's pretty rare for me in grass ...

I believe you mean rustling grass/swirling dust/small waves. Dark patches are the ones were two 'mons come at you at once.

man, did anyone else abuse the hell out of audinos? i spent all my money serveral times throughout the game to buy repels.

well...the encounter rate was also ridiculous but that's another story

the encounter rate isn't so bad, and by abusing the 5-square mechanic, it's possible to guarantee that any grass patches you get will be on the border.

it doesn't matter how many eligible squares are in view, as long as at least one is; it randomly chooses one from the eligible squares.

these eligible squares are I think 9x9 around you. so you can run around four squares from the perimeter of the patch of grass.

btw i saw a weird ripple thing in the lake

is this a variation of a dark patch?

Yes. There are also dust clouds in caves and shadows on some of the bridges.

(I think the only things you can find in the water ripples are Basculin, though, but with a different stripe colour than usual.)

EDIT: oh, huh! Apparently there are a bunch of other things you can find in rippling water and I just... haven't found them. Basculin are pretty common, though. edit 2: like Audinos, yeah.

Last edited:
(I think the only things you can find in the water ripples are Basculin, though, but with a different stripe colour than usual.)
I've found some other things in bobbing spots, but I think rarer-colour Basculin are pretty much the water spots' Audinos.

You can fish there, too, and there are dratini at dragonspiral tower at a higher level than usual. I've found Alomololomoloa and Kingdra in places and you can even catch Seadra and Milotic.

Yeah, if you surf into the bubbles all you'll find are basculin; fishing in them yields some pretty badass stuff though. I've gotten a kingdra, cloyster, octillery, and starmie from them. Still looking for a milotic though!

Back
Top Bottom