• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gender-Neutral Terms?

Gender Neutral Term?

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure xie/hir sprung up specifically out of non-binary circles, so it's always made sense to me that it's still kind of reigning.
I have to say this seems really weird since hir is like... his + her fused together, which just makes it seem neutral-sure-but-still-with-clearly-binary-influences? (and also can still sound very much like 'her', especially factoring in dialect and speech tendencies). And while it is by no means a comprehensive list, 'xie' is absent (albeit 'xe' and 'hir' are not) from Wiki's (presumably) common-use pronouns.

Elverson first appeared in 1975 (which is the 'Spivak' set I still default to), but I can't seem to find a clear date on the others. It's amusing seeing how much 19th century (English) literature there is on the need for a neutral pronoun, though!

I think xie was mostly replaced by sie/zie for some reason, I wonder if maybe because an x is too ~special snowflake~y or something. But, hm!

I found hir pretty weird too for the longest time, and probably won't ever use it, but its closeness to binary pronouns is maybe meant to be part of its charm, in a kind of third gender impression? I definitely think it's the most popular one, and it's always paired with xie, sie or zie, so. I also prefer Spivak, I guess. It's weird that sie/hir seems outdated to me, yet Spivak came first!

Yaaaaaay a huge majority of google searches bring up shitty people complaining about new pronouns. \o/ that's exactly what I wanted

Only tangentially related but upon visiting a professor's office I found that he had multiple Spivak books

Back
Top Bottom