• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What's getting Jason-Kun and Legendaryseeker99 may be confusion about why people don't just stick with "they" if they don't feel they fit into the gender binary, rather than wanting particular custom-made gender-neutral pronouns, which I don't think has been addressed here (which isn't surprising, given this thread is technically about gender, not pronouns).

I'm also going to point out that the New York thread Hawke is referring to is the one that went ballistic because in a thread about gay marriage being legalized in New York, it was suggested this be commemorated with guys' T-shirts saying "I <3 New York... and so does my boyfriend" and vice versa with women's sizes. Which I've got to admit I agree was quite inoffensive and hardly warranted being jumped on the way it was. Ignoring somebody's preferred pronouns is on a rather different scale than making an off-hand comment that indirectly assumes most gay men would use men's T-shirt sizes and vice versa.

What's getting Jason-Kun and Legendaryseeker99 may be confusion about why people don't just stick with "they" if they don't feel they fit into the gender binary, rather than wanting particular custom-made gender-neutral pronouns, which I don't think has been addressed here (which isn't surprising, given this thread is technically about gender, not pronouns).

Yeah, that's what's not making sense. "They" seems to be doing the job just fine; there isn't any need for "zhir" or "blarg" or "ywubfgfh" when we already have one word for a gender-neutral pronoun.

Once again, Butterfree managed to say what I wanted to.... only ten times better.

Personally I prefer just saying 'they', 'them', 'theirs' as opposed to these other 'unofficial' (and I use the term loosely) pronouns. It's what I, personally, was taught, and it comes more naturally. Language changes over time, and these overreactions seriously are just that. People overreacting and just sounding silly and the only thing I get from that is a feeling that they're doing it to attract attention. This is both a good thing and a bad. It's great that they want bring this to light, but bad in that that light may or may not be very good. Reactions to the previously stated thread is a good example.

Yeah, that's what's not making sense. "They" seems to be doing the job just fine; there isn't any need for "zhir" or "blarg" or "ywubfgfh" when we already have one word for a gender-neutral pronoun.

There are lots of reasons! First of all, most of the pronouns people are use are ones in popular use, rather than random letters they invented off the top of their head. Spivak pronouns have kind of been a thing for a while now?

The main problems with 'they', I think, are that it's very impersonal and ambiguous. Even when you can surmise singularity by context, 'they' is the other pronoun, the unknown pronoun. When you say 'they', usually it's because you don't know the person in question's gender and it's assumed to not be known! But as I stated earlier in the thread, my gender is not unknown. I would rather, when someone referred to me, that the thought would be "oh, so e uses those pronouns" than "oh, so I wonder what gender they are, how awkward, maybe I'll ask or just make a guess!".

Sie(Xie)/hir, e/eir/em (the most widely used options! by which I mean genuinely quite widely used now, certainly within the LGBTQ community!) avoid ambiguity and impersonality both: first, they speak of "these are my pronouns" rather than welcoming questions about gender (which might be confusing, rude, or even triggering), secondly, you know exactly what to use and that it's a pronoun of their choice (seriously, knowing that I've helped someone to feel comfortable is one of the most wonderful feelings ever, I find! do you seriously not agree? even if you find the whole thing quaint or strange?), and if you don't know, you can maybe ask or let them know you're new to gender-neutral pronouns! thirdly, they make you seem like an actual individual person rather than whatever's left over!

Also, choice. After being made to use a particular pronoun your entire life, discovering you're really uncomfortable with it, and then being told "your only other option is this so make do" is pretty horrid. So is it any wonder that people have carved out their own? Even if you're perfectly cis and just trying to fuck with the system (or are gender-fluid maybe and switching with he/she/they is too cumbersome) new gender-neutral pronouns are good because he/she/they implies a horrible gender binary! Male, female, other.

(Also, though I'm firmly in the 'it's fine go away' camp here, there's dispute about whether the singular 'they' is, if not grammatically incorrect, grammatically unpredictable. But I would say that this is a lot less of a deal than other reasons, so!)

There are genderqueer people who like to use 'they'! And there are genderqueer people who really don't! You might not 'need' a wider selection of (singular) gender-neutral pronouns, but for other people it would be marvellous, maybe even a real need!

Also there are lots lots lots more reasons but maybe these are ones you haven't thought of or encountered before! Let us know what you think!

Please stop setting up strawmen by making up ridiculous pronouns. Most pronouns people request are perfectly normal-sounding.

Now, as to why 'they' is not acceptable (and I did address this earlier, in response to Arylett). Firstly, 'they' already has multiple connotations; it can be used as a gender-neutral pronoun, or as a general pronoun when gender isn't known (in addition to its grammatically correct use as a plural, of course). This can already be a source of ambiguity. But here's the point you seem to be missing: alternate pronouns aren't only gender-neutral. Some people identify as a gender that is neither male or female, but isn't gender-neutral; in this case, 'they' is not sufficient. What you propose to do, then, is to compound that ambiguity by using 'they' for everyone who doesn't fall in the gender binary, even if they don't fall in the same category at all. For example: what pronoun do you suggest we use for someone who is genderless? (Don't say 'it'. A lot of people are uncomfortable with 'it' because it is to some extent dehumanising.) Also read Cirrus' post it is longer and more comprehensive.

It's what I, personally, was taught, and it comes more naturally.

Well, obviously. I'm not sure why that's an argument against using alternate pronouns.

Language changes over time, and these overreactions seriously are just that.

"These overreactions" are just what? Language change? I genuinely have no idea what this sentence is trying to say. ETA: Oh hang on, I see now. I don't see why it's relevant. Yes, language changes over time. You know how that happens? It happens when people react (what you insist on calling 'overreact') to a deficiency in the language.

Reactions to the previously stated thread is a good example.

That thread was not about pronouns. Just because a few people overreacted doesn't make the issue of preferred pronoun use any less important.

And, even failing all this, I still don't understand why you wouldn't want other people to feel comfortable wherever they go.

Last edited:
Okay, I know everyone's going to jump on me for this, but I was just wondering why people can't agree on just one set of alternative pronouns? It seems that there are several, and that's what's confusing to me. If people could agree on using one new set of alternate pronouns, wouldn't it catch on easier?

Okay, I know everyone's going to jump on me for this, but I was just wondering why people can't agree on just one set of alternative pronouns? It seems that there are several, and that's what's confusing to me. If people could agree on using one new set of alternate pronouns, wouldn't it catch on easier?

Hmm...
If there was just one gender-neutral pronoun, instead of many, I think I'd be more accepting, as long as it didn't look or sound stupid.

(@Opaltiger: I've actually seen zhir/zhe/zhem (I think? on the last one) being used.

Well, obviously. I'm not sure why that's an argument against using alternate pronouns.

I was giving my personal reason. Not an argument.

"These overreactions" are just what? Language change? I genuinely have no idea what this sentence is trying to say. ETA: Oh hang on, I see now. I don't see why it's relevant. Yes, language changes over time. You know how that happens? It happens when people react (what you insist on calling 'overreact') to a deficiency in the language.

... FUCK why can't I express what I'm thinking more clearly. You didn't understand. Let me break up the sentence. "Language changes over time, and these overreactions seriously are just that. " Ok these should be written better, my bad. What I mean is, that language changes over time and that I think that given time things may change.... pretty much no meaning whatsoever... remind me not to write when tired. The second half is badly worded. Overreactions... people blowing up in people's faces.... 'these overreactions are just that... overreactions'. Might have been a little better... my bad...

That thread was not about pronouns. Just because a few people overreacted doesn't make the issue of preferred pronoun use any less important.

Did I say that? You people, general statement, are putting words in my mouth!

And, even failing all this, I still don't understand why you wouldn't want other people to feel comfortable wherever they go.

Again, did I fucking say that, opal? Haven't I said many times that I will, and do, respect people's wishes? I didn't imagine that I wrote that maybe three, four times right? I want to make sure.

I will put this in the most fucking simple terms possible. PEOPLE. WHO. HAVE. STICKS. UP. THEIR. ASSES. SHOULD. CALM. THE. FUCK. DOWN. That is what I've been trying to say.

Sorry for asking a question that's probably really obvious, but is there a set of truly gender-neutral pronouns? I understand that nonstandard pronouns are not all neutral, so I was wondering if there is a set that can be used if you don't know what pronoun someone prefers and you don't want to just guess and risk offending that person.

That was horribly worded. I'm sorry. >.<

Sorry for asking a question that's probably really obvious, but is there a set of truly gender-neutral pronouns? I understand that nonstandard pronouns are not all neutral, so I was wondering if there is a set that can be used if you don't know what pronouns someone would prefer and you don't want to just guess and risk offending that person.

Really, the only "official" term seems to be "they," but pretty much the whole anti-they argument is that it isn't sufficient, so.

Basically what people argue is that 'they' is a plural and doesn't work grammatically. Instead they say there should be a third 'official' pronoun instead of just he/she.

EDIT: Personally I think it's mostly personal preference over grammatical necessity. Just an opinion though so don't eat me alive.

Basically what people argue is that 'they' is a plural and doesn't work grammatically. Instead they say there should be a third 'official' pronoun instead of just he/she.

Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks.
Wasn't sure how to word it.

Sorry for asking a question that's probably really obvious, but is there a set of truly gender-neutral pronouns? I understand that nonstandard pronouns are not all neutral, so I was wondering if there is a set that can be used if you don't know what pronoun someone prefers and you don't want to just guess and risk offending that person.

There are several!

... FUCK why can't I express what I'm thinking more clearly. You didn't understand. Let me break up the sentence. "Language changes over time, and these overreactions seriously are just that. " Ok these should be written better, my bad. What I mean is, that language changes over time and that I think that given time things may change.... pretty much no meaning whatsoever... remind me not to write when tired. The second half is badly worded. Overreactions... people blowing up in people's faces.... 'these overreactions are just that... overreactions'. Might have been a little better... my bad...

Read everything after ETA. I replied to that.

Did I say that? You people, general statement, are putting words in my mouth!

Then perhaps you should stop talking about overreactions? Everyone replying to you has been reasonable. That other thread has nothing to do with this thread.

Again, did I fucking say that, opal? Haven't I said many times that I will, and do, respect people's wishes? I didn't imagine that I wrote that maybe three, four times right? I want to make sure.

Yes, and that means you want people to be comfortable around you. Excellent. But correct me if I'm wrong here, you think that it's silly trying to make alternate pronouns acceptable more generally. Which means, by extension, that people wouldn't be comfortable wherever they go. That's what I meant.

I will put this in the most fucking simple terms possible. PEOPLE. WHO. HAVE. STICKS. UP. THEIR. ASSES. SHOULD. CALM. THE. FUCK. DOWN. That is what I've been trying to say.

You still haven't shown where these people are being so terribly not-calm. As far as I can see everyone is responding calmly.

Are you actually reading our posts? No, it's not about 'they' being plural. I don't mind 'they' being used as a singular pronoun. The problem is that 'they' is not sufficient. Read Cirrus' post again.

But, like we said, there is more than one group of people wanting their own pronoun. I agree, it would be good if people could agree on, say, a standard gender-neutral pronoun - which is what e/eir/em kind of are - but that still leaves other people.

I'm happy to use anybody's pronoun of choice, but I can't lie, 'e' makes me giggle because in my head it sounds like my Cornish grandfather (who spoke in a manner very similar to Hagrid) is saying it - "Ooohar, 'e's gawan down the shops fer summat, 'e is!"

(I'll stop unhelpful contributions now)

I'm happy to use anybody's pronoun of choice, but I can't lie, 'e' makes me giggle because in my head it sounds like my Cornish grandfather (who spoke in a manner very similar to Hagrid) is saying it - "Ooohar, 'e's gawan down the shops fer summat, 'e is!"

(I'll stop unhelpful contributions now)

I think that is one of the reasons a lot of people prefer 'ey' now. :P (Well. Not that reason precisely, but the fact that it sounds like someone saying 'he' in an accent.)

Yes! It's not a silly question at all (especially since Legendaryseeker and Hawke don't seem to know, either) Sie/hir is what people usually use neutrally, but ey/eir/em is definitely okay as well. If you're unsure, just stick to them.

I think that is one of the reasons a lot of people prefer 'ey' now. :P (Well. Not that reason precisely, but the fact that it sounds like someone saying 'he' in an accent.)

No, it's definitely precisely because it sounds like Dannichu's Cornish grandfather.

Last edited:
They are a thing within certain online communities. I have never seen Spivak pronouns used outside of TCoD. I have seen sie/xir been used. None Ive seen used in outside of internet forums.

It isn't a big thing irl, no! I don't expect a single person irl to refer to me with my preferred pronouns. And of course, there is so little point in being like "I know you won't have heard of these before, but it's what I like to be referred to as" because I can imagine the resulting stares, scorn or arguments to be preeeetty upsetting. A forum like this, though, gives me the chance to help explain.

As for outside of TCoD... really?? They're sort of... a common thing online, though I guess I can understand if you don't really use the internet much? I genuinely hadn't realised that alternative pronouns were this much of a new thing for lots of people here before this thread. o_o

I would argue that <they> is no longer restricted to gender being unknown but rather simply stating that you will not be stating that persons gender.

It's not restricted at all! Most of the time, certainly irl, I would use 'they'! But 'they' carries the weight of usually used for 'unknown', which is something that can be entirely avoided with sensible neologisms.

The only problem I have is that it can be confusing. I go on this forum very often and I read peoples postbits and I still cannot remember the preferred pronouns of people!

Lots of people find it difficult and confusing! But most people, certainly myself, am overwhelmingly pleased whenever anyone makes even the tiniest effort. Making mistakes, forgetting - it's not your fault, and to be honest there are very few who genuinely mind when someone messes up. It's just a thing people would very much like you to keep up with.

In real life, however, it can be more awkward when you want to respectfully refer to someone and you forget their pronoun and they are not present or there are multiple people with alternate pronouns.

Yep! I don't know anyone irl (who I didn't know first via the internet) who uses alternative pronouns, and maybe it would be difficult to deal with if the time ever came. Because of what you're saying, I've never tried to seriously explain it to anyone but a few irl friends, who were mostly pretty weird about it, so.

And again, if you forget someone's pronouns, just sort of... ask! Or apologise! It doesn't need to be a big thing.

I think a thing worth mentioning is that alternative pronouns are so difficult to remember and keep track of because you've never really seen or used them before. It's the same with anything, any new word, any new piece of information. So why not pick a set and try really hard to remember it and learn it? Before I realised I was much more comfortable with not using she/her for myself, that's what I tried to do, and it took a reeeally long time to get to a place where I didn't make mistakes all the time, and I still do, even with some close friends! But that's okay! If you don't try at all and bluntly refuse, sure, it's no real surprise if they're a little affronted or sad. But even the smallest effort isn't that far out of your way, right?

I think everyone would be much more comfortable if the pronouns were standardized. I much prefer the Spivak pronouns to <Sie/Xir>, which simply do not look English to me and are somewhat awkward to pronounce. Putting people into categories will not solve every problem, but it will make referring to people much easier. <Okay, people who identify as X, we are gonna use this pronoun now. And y people, let us all agree to use that pronoun>. The bouncing around of pronouns can definitely become confusing, even if you are trying to respect peoples wishes.

Well... it's not really that simple! Taking this solution is actually a thing within the genderqueer communities, by the way - I've said already that sie/hir and ey(e)/eir/em have pretty much been decided on as being 'the default gender-neutral' pronoun. So... I don't really see what the problem is now that I've explained that? Just... use those!

As for making everyone use a certain pronoun for themselves, just because they 'identify as X' (what does this mean? breaking the gender binary leads to very few sharing a common identity. how would you even decide?), that doesn't really feel like it'd be solving anything! Also, "it's too difficult for those people!" would probably lead to a "well oh fucking no" reaction because, well, binary people going out of their way to help is already something that isn't really expected or ever encountered. Which is why sie/hir and Spivak help bridge that gap.

Last edited:
Uhm, ze/zir/zem are also default gender-neutral pronouns. Personally I use them (the pronoun 'them', not ze/zir/zem) as default if I don't know the person's gender.

Also, I seem to be the only person here that is totally cool with it/they/them/their as pronouns. Like, I'm just as comfortable with those as with male pronouns. So I'd just like to put that out there - all those arguments against they/them/their are cool, but some people like those pronouns, yup.

My biggest problem, and it's a very small problem, with most gender-neutral pronouns is just the pronunciation. I don't know how to say them (just in my head, really). Like - e, eir, em, I can get with, I can pronounce that. But sie/hir, I just have no idea how to pronounce. I expect it's pronounced she/her which totally throws me off because why have pronouns that sound exactly like existing pronouns? And then I just get terribly confused. :[ How am I supposed to refer to you as something if I can't even say it? Ehg. I like the pronouns Alvyren uses, ve/ver/vem, because they're clearly pronounceable and different from existing pronouns, i.e. they don't sound like he or her.

As for outside of TCoD... really?? They're sort of... a common thing online, though I guess I can understand if you don't really use the internet much? I genuinely hadn't realised that alternative pronouns were this much of a new thing for lots of people here before this thread. o_o

I'd like to say that although alternative pronouns were not new to me, personally, in this thread, I have never seen them used outside of TCoD. I think how much you are exposed to such things might vary depending on which parts of the internet you frequent.

Back
Top Bottom