• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Green Hills and Blue Skies

Cassy swept up her backpack and clipped the two ends of the strap together. She looked around her table once more to make sure everything was with her. She pushed in her chair. What was it that was getting Alex so antsy? Sure, there was a comfortable time to leave so as to reach another Pokemon Center, but there was plenty of time. According to Duncan, it was surprise of sorts.

She'd have asked, but then if Alex was telling anyone, it wouldn't be a surprise. But as long as she was getting used to these people, she figured she'd start with Atem. The most angsty of them all, it seemed. "I'll try to stay out of your way, then. But can I ask a question?" She didn't really wait for an answer. "Why are you so..." She couldn't find the right word. Atem seemed to strong-willed to be depressed, and calling her depressing was just rude. "I guess the right word is gloomy." She finished.

~Alex/Melisa

"You'll see, you'll see!" Alex shouted back as he lead the group along the street to the eastern edge of the city. About a half-hour later they made it to a small park that resided on the edge of the city, and Alex finally came to a stop at a bench with a short woman. After taking a couple of breaths, and letting everyone else catch up Alex turned to them with a big grin.

"Everyone, this is my mother, and the owner, lead designer, and genius behind the revolutionary PokéTech company." Alex said, hardly a hint of exhaustion in his voice. "And the great thing is, with version 2.0 coming out in a week, we all get one, for free!"

"Alex honey, you haven't been draggin gyour new freinds around too much have you?" Melisa commented with a grin, "However, he is correct, you each get one, a universal device that allows a simple access to most data needed, with the exception of one's PokéDex. And as much as it seems to be a bland white, there is a setting that allows it to change it's colour to your preference." Melissa pulled out six small boxes and lay them on the table in front of her for each of them to take. Alex picked up his, and pulled out a small diamond shaped device, roughly the size of a PokéNav, and opened it, adjusting his settings to have a deep purple black and white design, and then proceeded to place it in his pocket.

"Now, I must make my way to work, I've still got marketing executives to tend to at the office." Melisa remarked with a warm smile, and picked up the handle bars to her hover scooter. "See you later honey." She called to Alex as she sped away, a small Joltik barely clinging to the tail of the scooter.

"And once you guys are ready, we can make our way to Oreburgh, hopefully we'll be there by tommorow afternoon." Alex said, fidiling with the settings for the holographic display on his PokéTech.

Kiara grabbed one of the PokeTechs that was given to all of them. She then adjusted the settings of hers to an ocean blue color. Kiara then fiddled around with the map settings. A hologram showed a gym surrounded by rocks, with the heading "Oreburgh Rock Type Gym. Leader: Roark"

Kiara put her PokeTech down. "Hey, my PokeTech says there's a Rock type gym in Oreburgh!" she exclaimed.

[ Grr, Lirris, I need to modify this now. Oh, well. I'll just half it... The first half will be when Atem's still in the Pokemon Center, and the second will be upon meeting Melisa, if that's alright.]

Atem had noted that the others were starting to file outside, and decided to go ahead and follow them. She slid out of her chair, pushing it back under the table, and turned her attention to the doors leading to the world laying just beyond those welcoming doors of the Pokemon Center. A world full of things to prove and praise and others to criticize and ridicule for self-righteous and boastful reasons. A world full of crooks and saints, the weak and the strong, the negative and the positive. A world that would not once take it easy on its inhabitants, the Goth soon found out shortly after her brother's passing, and above all, a world that was testing Nekko to her fullest. The ultimate test of independence and pure, blinded honor that the proud Atem family treasured so much. The thought of leaving such a gentle and tender atmosphere was hard for many who walked down the road Atem was traveling, but if one were to possess such brute arrogance and bitter ignorance, it wouldn't affect anything in the slightest. For even in the safe haven with smiling faces and friendly peers, it was still part of the ever animistic planet. It was still on Earth, and there was no doubt that the same amount of sadistic cruelty and evil could overtake the Pokemon Center at the slightest blink of the eye.

However, Atem's train of thoughts soon swerved off its tracks and over a cliff as she heard a voice speaking to her. The gothic girl glanced over at Cassy without turning away from the doors, her lip in a tight black line. Cassy asked why she was so grim and gloomy, and Atem felt her eyebrows furrow. "Not everyone's a radiating burst of sunshine," she answered simply, the scornful tone returning in her voice. It was faint, though, because her mind was still partially wrapped around her thoughts from moments ago, and it even had the slightest bit of sorrow in it. Though one would have to strain their ears to hear it.

And with that, Atem stalked out of the Pokemon Center, her arms loosely crossed over her chest as she started to muse over everything that had happened so far and the people she had meet. She spotted Alex, Fletcher, Dink and Kiara, and stopped a few frets away from them, still wanting to keep her over-sized personal bubble intact.

_________

Atem lingered behind the others as they proceeded to go wherever Alex intended for them to visit, and her mind was fairly empty and blank. To keep herself busy, she glanced around her the whole walk, pondering over various facts in nature and how some things came to be.

When the time came, though, she snapped back into reality, and let her passive front take over. She kept her demeanor bored as she glazed her eyes over at Melisa, then Alex, then Melisa again. So this was the reason they had to leave? Some woman and a device they probably could've gotten a week later? ... Though Atem was not complaining; the thought of having a PokeTech was a nice one indeed. With all the things she heard about the device, it seemed really helpful and handy to have around.

More hasty and forceful than intended, Atem grabbed one of the boxes, pulling out her plain white PokeTech. She fiddled with it for a while, tilting her head with a slight frown as she messed around with the controls and such, and finally got to the settings. She settled on a dull pearly blue, a color matching that of her eyes, and placed it in her pack. She set her gaze on Alex as he stated that once they were ready, they'd go on to Oreburgh, and she nodded curtly in agreement. "I'm ready once everyone else is, I suppose. But, do tell: isn't there a Gym Leader there? That sounds... interesting." A lopsided grin pulled at her licorice lips. Despite the fact Kiara just exclaimed and proved there was a Gym with the help of her PokeTech, Atem asked Alex anyway. Better be sure than sorry, as they said once upon a time, and Atem would be surely disappointed if there wasn't a challenge awaiting her in Oreburgh.

Last edited:
(Oh, shizzy, that's right. I'm sorry D: I won't do it again, I promise!)

Cassy was still thinking about Atem's response when they reached their destination. It was a terribly grim outlook. Actually, a little rude, too. Maybe she and Fletcher were meant to be or something, because they were both plenty hateful towards people they didn't know.

When she came back to the real world, she saw the Poketechs. "Your mother is a very prepared woman, Alex. You only picked me up a hlaf-hour ago, and here she's gotten me one of these puppies!" She picked it up with admiration. Kiara announced the presence of a gym, Atem disregarded her, possibly out of spite. "Rock, huh?" She looked at her only pokeball with a resident. Clu would be almost perfectly useless there. There's always a chance she could catch another Pokemon by the time they got there, but chances were they'd see little else besides Starly and a few other birds. They weren't very good for this either.

"Well, I can't very well do much there. Maybe Clu and I will give it a shot, but a rock-type gym? Just my luck, I guess. Not like gyms are my style anyway, I want me a good ol' fashioned tournament."

Kiara was a little irked that Atem asked Alex if there was a gym in Oreburgh, even when Kiara just stated the fact. Kiara looked in her PokeTech for info about Rock types, then she turned to Cassy.

"My PokeTech says that Rock types are weak against Fighting, Grass, Ground, Steel, and Water types, and that Rock types are strong against Flying, Fire, Bug, and Ice types. Cassie-my Ponyta I mean-, Xena, and Windswept are out. Lucy the Lapras could work, but she's part Ice...Timmy wouldn't be of much use seeing as he only knows Mimic. So that leaves Sunny and...Umbra..." she stated, hesitating when saying Umbra.

~Alex

Alex nodded in recognition towards Atem's question.

"Yep, Roark has been in charge of the Oreburgh Gym for, what, well since my dad took his run through Sinnoh, and that was like twenty-ish years ago. I've basically planned on the three that I plan to use against him, regardless of type orientation. It'll be Ezaia, Jade, and Set, and I know we'll succeed!" Alex replied in glee, finding the idea to finally challenge a gym an awesome prospect. "And don't worry Cassidy, there's a mine that the public is allowed to enter and train in, and I've heard there are several different rock types there, maybe a fighting type if you're lucky!"

Ezaia's ears perked straight up when she heard that she was one of the ones chosen to represent Alex in a gym battle, and the young Riolu squealed in joy, hoping to prove herself to everyone.

"Actually thinking about it, Roark'll likely be sporting at least one Geodude, part ground'll cause a disaster for Clu if you're not careful, but hey, that's part of the fun!" Alex said after a touch of thought, "Anyways, I'd like to be on our way before long, and don't be afraid to browse through the apps on the PokéTech, mom said she had left some sort of surprise on them for us, not sire what it was, but I bet it's pretty aweseome, knowing her and her surprises."

Fletcher was a tad taken aback at Alex's mother's sudden appearance-from the way he'd described it yesterday, he thought the woman was 'out of the picture', so to speak, so that he was sent into a spiral of thoughts about his own mother that by the time he'd came to his senses she was gone. Oh, well. At least he got this PokeTech, which were pretty valuable. Not that he knew much about the things. However, there was one or two pretty cool features he'd heard of.

After a small amount of time learning the controls, he went to the colour change feature and had it cycle through a variety of colours, including ebony black, tyrian purple and a deep green which's name escaped him. Once it was suitably hip and fashionable, he began to look through it's other functions.

"Hey, Alex, what else can these things do?"

Last edited:
~Alex

"Well lessee..." Alex replied, pulling out his little device from his pocket, "The PokéTech works on a similar technology to that of the Pokétch, if not more advanced and convinient, due in part to the holographic display. We seem to have the base settings app, a clock app, a phone app, a map app, a notebook app, atexting app, and a trainer's basics app, which contains type match ups, including dual types, coniditions and what they do, and ability summaries, as well as mbasic battle strategies. I know there's supposed to be an advanced version of the app with more information coming out in a month or two, but mom needs to get in contact with a good number of trainers before that happens. I can't seem to find the special app we got, but I suppose mom made some sort of unlock conditions for it so that we only have access to it once it will serve a purpose. Oh! Theres a music player app, and it can synch with any device to upload music to it, that's gonna be super useful for Set and I! The entertainment development department must've been really busy as this wasn't on version one. I'm actually amazed that the PokéTech hasn't exceeded the PokéGear's popularity yet."

Alex decided to fiddle with the settings again, having only changed the colour settings to define his as his. He soon changed the ring tone, and uploaded the music from his mp3 to the PokéTech. After a little bit more looking he noticed something.

"Mom has already registered all our numbers in each of the phones, well, except for the phone Cassidy got. Now all that needs to be done is edit the phone settings to identify this one as mine and it should change on the other ones, and we'll need to register Cassidy's number." Alex said, also noticing that he had his father, mother, and sister's numbers, as well as a small note contain the number's of several other family members, if Alex so desired to register them.

Dink poked at the PokeTech curiously. He lightly bit the corner. He sniffed the speaker. Dropped a hair in the charging port. Then he slid it into his pocket without a word.

"Well, Alex, your family certainly is connected. If this is just a surprise, I'd love to have chirstmas with you one day." He peeled off a piece of bark from a tree and stuck it in his mouth for a moment, and after enjoying the flavor for a minute, continued. "I hope we have more surprises later. They seem like so much fun." He started whistling a metal song, and waved around the bark in his face. Then he fanned off Fletcher just because he knew the materialistic boy didn't like him. Oddly, Dink never considered someone's height in such cases. Fletcher was at least a head taller than him.

And yet he couldn't care less. Maybe because he figured Fletcher would only ever get irritated with him. "This is good. We're all friendly now, yes? Not Atem, no, only sometimes Fletcher. But we're friends, I suppose. It's like bugs crawling out of an open wound. Not pleasant at first, but after a while, you get used to it. Also like sneezing with noodles in your mouth. And finding cheese in your toilet."

After this display from Dink, Fletcher realised he had no real significant information on the boy. Atem and Alex he had pretty well figured out, and Kiara, too, to a lesser extent. But Dink, however, was a mystery beyond the words "total nutcase". He wondered where this kid had came from. Had he always been so...Dink?

"Hey, Dink, I don't think any of us ever asked you about your particular origin story. Where did you come from?"

He wondered if he would get a straight answer, or one of those meaningless poems or quotations. Then he wondered if they were really meaningless, or if they had some certain relevance that seemed perfectly relevant to him. Considering what the boy sometimes said, he wasn't sure which would be the best.

Dink stared at Fletcher. Then at a butterfly. Then at his bark piece. Then at Fletcher again. Where did he come from? That was simple. Someone like Fletcher, especially Fletcher, should know these things. "I lived in a house. Spent time alone. Came here. Now I'm not alone. Really, Fletcher, I didn't think you were a genius, but I would think that much would be apparent." He nibbled on the bark nonchalantly. "Nothing is much different between two people. Sure, you have different friends, different incomes, different homes, but in the end, you don't change from how you were born. A thief will always be a thief, always feel an urge to steal, no matter whether he resists it or not. Madmen are born mad, no matter what therapy fixes them on the outside. Circumstances often make us think we are who we believe ourselves to be, but we can't say for sure for some time. Who knows? Maybe I'm only mad because I think I am. Maybe you're a serial killer despite that you think that's impossible now." He shrugged.

"You know how it is. Roses are red, violets are blue, I came from a womb, just like you. Or maybe, 'and so did you?' I'm not sure."

"I guess that's one way of looking at it." Cassidy shrugged. "I know losing is part of winning, and Clu couldn't find a better test of his abilities than rock and ground-types, but still. Some things are just too reckless, if you ask me." She played around with her PokeTech, finding a couple of free games. None of them were very good, but then, that's why they were free.

Cassy went to look at the app for types. It was really pretty useless for her, since she had memorized the types and type resistances and weaknesses during her long hours in the lobby. "So Alex," She started, sliding the PokeTech into her pocket. She'd put it in her pack later. "Sounds like you're gearing up for some serious competitions. Ever been in a tournament?"

She honestly hoped he hadn't, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. She had yet to be able to join one, originally because she had no Pokemon, and once she had Clu, she didn't pass the qualification rounds. He was still young, and she was inexperienced at training. Frustratingly enough, there were people like her sister who were winning local tournaments on her tenth birthday, people who just had a talent for this stuff. People who overshadowed everyone else. Cassidy was just beginning to escape her sister's shadow, and if she was cast into, just as an example, Alex's, she wasn't sure she could get motivated to break free again.

~Alex

"Still worth catching a new Pokemon and having the two team together to battle against Roark. I should point out that, if you have less than three Pokemon on hand the gym leader is expected to reduce the number they are going to use to the number you have, otherwise it's three=on=three." Alex replied, "Tournaments? No, not yet I haven't, too young until now. I likely will though, why, are you planning on competing?"

Alex was happy with the knowledge that at least three of his travelling companions were planning on participating in battles, and he was hoping the other two would end up doing something enjoyable and supportable too. Alex checked the time quickly, and looked to everyone.

"Okay everybody, we need to be on our way now." Alex said, swinging his bag over his shoulder and preparing to lead the way.

(sorry if this is too early, Lirris, but it felt right)

Pedaling as fast as he can, a nerdy-looking teenager races towards Oreburgh City. Near the edge of Jubilife, he notices a group of people standing around with PokéTech's. Looking at his wrist, he wishes that he could have one. Entering the route to Oreburgh, he turns around a looks back at the group of people. As he examines them, the Natu on his lap chirps loudly, though he just waves the sound off. The PokéTech's looked extremely new, like they were fresh out of the box. Being from Johto, he had his own PokéGear. The radio and phone were great and a necessity for him. The radio played the 'Sounds of Sinnoh' show. Now that Sinnoh loomed ahead of him, he wanted to have the right music for the journey.

He had learned about Kanto's and Johto's myths while he lived there. Once he had beaten all of Johto's gyms and five of Kanto's, he had moved on to Hoenn. The legend's and myth's there intrigued him greatly. Now that he owned three of Hoenn's badges, he was ready for Sinnoh. He had heard that Sinnoh's first gym was a rock-based and he was ready. He had an ice-type, grass-type, and a water-type, all ready for battle. Still looking at the group of PokéTech people, he hadn't noticed the tree looming ahead. The Natu, still frantically chirping, called him back to reality. He turned just in time to smack into the tree, face-first. Sitting dazed on the ground, his bike slammed and crumpled against the tree, his Natu attempted to help him heal enough to walk. The Natu, though, was injured pretty badly injured himself.

Fletcher jumped slightly as a blur shot past him, and twisted around to get a better look at the object in question. A teenager, eyes obscured by glasses caught in sunlight, collided painfully into a tree. Fletcher flinched slightly as he saw the bike crumple and twist in on itself, the teenager in question looking dazed but in considerably better shape than his vehicle, luckily enough, because Fletcher's limited experience with wrangled bodies was more than he ever wanted to see again. A stupid taxi driver in a busy city. The guy's blood had been everywhere...

Fletcher was not normally the most altruistic of people, but no one else in the group seemed to be doing anything and so he headed off to see if the kid was actually more hurt than he appeared. Self-concious of how stupid he looked running with a bag-pack, he sprinted as fast as his burdened legs would carry him. As he came closer he saw a little green Flying-Type Pokémon flutter around, seemingly trying to interact with the dazed teenager in some way. Wary of its aggression, Fletcher stopped a meter or two before the teenager, and said:

"Whoah, you okay? That was quite a.....yeah. Can I get closer? Will your Pokémon attack?"

He looked back to his own group, and waved over with his hand fiercely. He didn't really have any idea how to do any kind of first aid. Alex might, being all prepared, but it suddenly struck him that if they didn't any accident that occurred during the group's travels could be nasty. Sever enough infections necessitated amputation. At least one of them should be suitably prepared to play nurse.

Kiara rushed over to the boy who was injured when Alex ran over. Alex seemed to be hesitant, not knowing what to do. Kiara panicked a bit, but then remembered that when she lived back home at the family restaurant, her mother once told her that the restaurant's specialty- Moomoo Milk- could help cure both Pokemon and Human. Kiara then remembered that she was given a bottle of Moomoo Milk before she left. She never really drank any since she wasn't too fond of milk.

After searching through her bag, she got out the bottle, and brought it to the boy who was harmed. "Drink this. Moomoo Milk is said to cure people and Pokemon" she told the boy. She brought the bottle to his mouth, seeing as the boy seemed too hurt to hold it himself.

"Please work, Please work..." she whispered to herself, not entirely sure if it would work or not.

~Alex

Alex stumbled in mind, he had been all raring to go and then all of a sudden a bike had whizzed by and crashed into a tree, the rider in a daze. Alex wasn't certain as to what to do, and saw that Fletcher and Kiara had taken off to tend to the boy, clearly older then the rest of them, save for possibly Fletcher. Alex finally focussed on the situation after having put everything together, and swung his bag in front of him, opening it. He began digging through it and quickly found what he was looking for, his first aid kit. He quickly made his way to the teen, and handed over a small handful of bandages and a bottle of polysporin.

"Here, for your injuries." Alex mumbled slightly, his hemophobia starting to kick in as he saw a notable scrape. Alex quickly shut his eyes, cringing slightly. "May I ask as to who you are, and why you ended up playing Torchic with a tree?" Alex quickly asked, his eyes still firmly shut.

Still dazed, Ogio looked at the four people around him. Wait... four? He only heard three voice, on of them murmuring about something working, another offering him something, and another asking about his Pokemon. He mumbled back at the question, "What, my Natu hates... he only deals... other birds."

His senses began returning, and he relized there are only three. Two boys and a girl. The latter was offering him a bottle, the look seemed familar. He attempted a drink, got most of it in his mouth and some on his shirt. He loved the taste, the familiar taste of a Johto classic, Moomoo Milk! He attempted to drink more, getting more in his mouth this time than last. He sat up, signing for the little group around him to back up.

Replying to the ivory-white headed boy's question, "I am Ogio Ratuki and I am trying to get to Oreburgh. Where are the tents that were on my bike?"

Last edited:
(OOC: Alex has Ivory White hair, not Blonde)

~Alex

Alex looked towards the bike and saw that the tent bag was still attached to the bike, and looked fine to him.

"It's still on the bike, and doesn't look damaged." Alex replied, "By the way I'm Alex Kurohari, you may have heard of my father, Nanka Kurohari, or my mother, Melisa Etheridge-Kurohari." Alex noticed that Ogio had yet to cover his injuries, and once again shut his eyes. "If- if you don't mind, could you please patch yourself up, I'm somewhat Hemophobic, afraid of blood..." Alex asked somewhat sheepishly.

Back
Top Bottom