• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Hardest Gym Leaders?

whitney isn't that difficult if you prepare enough. that clefairy of hers keeps screwing over my miltank counters with metronome, though.

In Kanto, I usually find Koga the hardest. Most of the Gym Leaders are easy for me, but for some reason he always gives me trouble.

As for Johto, I'm going to have to go with Clair. I've only fought her two or three times, but she is really tough (especially in HG/SS when her Gyarados have Intimidate). It's hard to find a weakness for her type-wise.

In Hoenn, none of the Gym Leaders are really hard for me. I would say Brawly but I never use Flash, so I totally forget about him until after I defeat Wattson and always end up going back with over-leveled Pokemon. So I'd have to say either Norman or Wallace/the other dude are the hardest. I don't get to Wallace as often, and Norman is usually a big block for me (I pretty much gave up on Emerald because I can't fight anyone in his Gym without at least one of my Pokemon fainting).

I don't play through the Sinnoh region very much, but usually the Water Gym Leader is hardest for me because of his Gyarados.

And I've only ever played through Unova once, but in my one play-through, all of the Gym Leaders were hard. Although, the hardest for me was Drake (Iris must be the White version equivalent or something), and the easiest was Elesa because I used my Servine to Leech Seed/Mega Drain her Pokemon away.

It's not the Gym Leaders that give me the most trouble, it's Kanto's Elite 4. I swept through Kanto's Gyms like a knife through butter, if the action was a sweeping motion. Bruno almost destroyed me.

Actually Candice gave me trouble in Diamond, but that's because I forgot to go back and heal and half of my team was weak to Medicham. Actually Medichams in general gave me trouble.

In Kanto, I usually find Koga the hardest. Most of the Gym Leaders are easy for me, but for some reason he always gives me trouble.

As for Johto, I'm going to have to go with Clair. I've only fought her two or three times, but she is really tough (especially in HG/SS when her Gyarados have Intimidate). It's hard to find a weakness for her type-wise.

In Hoenn, none of the Gym Leaders are really hard for me. I would say Brawly but I never use Flash, so I totally forget about him until after I defeat Wattson and always end up going back with over-leveled Pokemon. So I'd have to say either Norman or Wallace/the other dude are the hardest. I don't get to Wallace as often, and Norman is usually a big block for me (I pretty much gave up on Emerald because I can't fight anyone in his Gym without at least one of my Pokemon fainting).

I don't play through the Sinnoh region very much, but usually the Water Gym Leader is hardest for me because of his Gyarados.

And I've only ever played through Unova once, but in my one play-through, all of the Gym Leaders were hard. Although, the hardest for me was Drake (Iris must be the White version equivalent or something), and the easiest was Elesa because I used my Servine to Leech Seed/Mega Drain her Pokemon away.

Ok, first off, Koga is SUPER easy, so i agree with you on that.

Clair's Gyarados is EASY if you have a good electric type with soemthing like Thuunderbolt or Discharge, because intimidate only cuts the players attack, not special attack. (i used ampharos for Clair. She's easy if you come up with a good strategy.

I havent played Hoenn in a long time, so i forget who was the hardest in my sapphire game.

If you want to beat Crasher Wake in sinnoh, use, again, an electric type, but probably Pachirisu, cause you cant get an Ampharos in sinnoh.

As for me, here are the ones that i think are the hardest.

Kanto~ Brock, Misty (i always pick Charmander), Giovvanni
Johto~Pryce (Even with a fire type starter, he's got water as a second type, and my ampharos was too weak at that time)
Hoenn~*Poker Face*
Sinnoh~*Poker Face*
Unova~Lenora(Watchog kept on using hypnosis...), Elesa (i picked Oshawott)

DarkAura, you forgot about the typical elec Pokemon of the region of Sinnoh, Luxray

I haven't posted here since before I got White version.
And now I think the second hardest gym leader is Lenora.
That woman and her constant use of Retaliate annoy me so much.

Whitney in GSC is still worse for me.

RBY: I never really had problems with the normal Gen I games, but since I was an idiot when I had Yellow, I couldn't beat Giovanni AT ALL.
GSC: Fucking Bugsy! Scyther just goes all out Fury Cutter, and the only easy way to stop it is to train a Geodude.
RSE: I'm finding Tate and Liza to be difficult, but that might be because I'm underlevelled.
FRLG: My first FR playthrough left me barely beating Misty with an Oddish that had Bullet Seed, because I was an idiot then, too.
DPP: There really aren't many gym leaders that were hard in Sinnoh, but if I have to pick, then Gardenia. Roserade is a beast in combat.
BW: Lenora, the normal type gym leader. Her Herdier completely swept my team the first few times against her.

Kanto: Giovanni
Johto: Whitney
Hoenn: (I don't have a Hoenn game yet. Ordered Ruby off eBay.)
Sinnoh: Fantina
Unova: Burgh

Three words :Koga in Yellow. I'll tell you the battle:
KOGA sent out VENONAT (WTF?!! LEVEL 50? didn't the last gym leaders have 30's?)
Go,CHARIZARD (LV 36)
VENONAT used SLEEPOWDER
Theif (My in-game name, long story with Zelda:Links Awakining) used POKEFLUTE!
20 turns later...
Foe VENONAT fainted!
KOGA sends out VENONAT!
(My 7-year-old mind)AAAARRGGGGHHH!

I've seen mentioned that Koga is the hardest in Kanto... Well here's a fun fact:

KOGA is about to use WEEZING! (last Pokémon)
Will ASH (my name at the time) switch Pokémon? No.
KOGA sent out WEEZING!
SANDSLASH dug a hole!
Enemy WEEZING used EXPLOSION!
Enemy WEEZING's attack missed!
Enemy WEEZING fainted!
ASH defeated KOGA!

This actually happened the first time I fought Koga. Yes, the RBY AI was that stupid... He probably used Explosion because his other attacks were ineffective on Sandslash, but Explosion was pointless since it was his last Pokémon and I still had all of my team intact (Sandslash soloed the gym). Basically, he forfeited the match.

So no, Koga's not the hardest.

Here's my list:

RBY: Sabrina (Psychic Pokémon had no weaknesses and Alakazam was a pain)
GSC: Whitney/Clair
RSE: Wallace, also Wattson if your levels are low, since Shock Wave is relatively strong and never misses
DPPt: I only played Platinum and Candice gave me the most trouble with 100% accurate STAB Blizzard from Froslass after Abomasnow set up Hail
HGSS: None were particularly hard, but Whitney and Morty took me long to beat and Sabrina almost nailed me with that Espeon. If my Kingdra didn't OHKO it after one Dragon Dance I'd be screwed.

Last edited:
I've decided that the only way to sure-fire beat Elesa is either to have a Boldore, which might not work, or to have an Excadrill, which will always work.

That being said, Clay gave me trouble this time, even with a Ducklett and a Maractus. I don't know why. His Excadrill swept everything.

I've decided that the only way to sure-fire beat Elesa is either to have a Boldore, which might not work, or to have an Excadrill, which will always work.

That being said, Clay gave me trouble this time, even with a Ducklett and a Maractus. I don't know why. His Excadrill swept everything.

Choosing oshawott works wonders. I either OHKOed or two-hit KOed every one of his pokemon with my dewott using razor shell (it was holding a mystic water).

So there, Eridan haters.

Elesa: Dwebble + Smack Down while holding an Eviolite.

Clay: My maractus worked, I just Giga Drained him to death. Attract helped.

RBY: Sabrina, hands down. I hadn't bothered to get a Bug type, and I hade a Vileplume. Yeah.
GSCHGSS: Whitney. CLEFAIRY used Roar of Time! CLEFAIRY used Spacial Rend! CLEFAIRY can go fuck itself! Same goes for that Miltank! (yes, that actually happened. what.)
RSE: Brawley, oddly enough. His Makuhita kept killing me.
DPPt: Fatima. I thought you used Dark types!
BW: Elesa. Emolga. If I hadn't had my Victini, I'd have lost.

Overall, Whitney. I remember when I got her rematch thing in HGSS. Meet my level 90 Mewtwo bitch! :evil:

Playing through RSE again, I've remembered how terrible Norman and the Mossdeep siblings were. Even with Blaziken or Hariyama, Norman takes a lot of training to beat. Then Liza and Tate are just over leveled for that point in the game, at least for me - I have to use a Swampert if it was my starter, otherwise I have to catch & train a Wailord.

Back
Top Bottom