• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to heteros. The point of DADT is to keep everything simple so everyone is assumed hetero.

Not to heteros.

to be specific, not to homophobes. My crush's and my best friend is heterosexual and she knows that him crushing on other guys all the time is perfectly normal. We all do, really. (hell, my female cousin's had a girlfriend since I don't eve know when (a heck of a long time) and my entire family's cool with it.)

Non-homophobic heterosexuals, in most cases, understand that it's a normal thing for a guy to crush on another guy; they may not be sexually attracted to guys (if they are male, and obviously females if they are female), but hopefully they understand that there's nothing wrong with it.

But that's not fair to people who don't want to lie about who they are and want to serve their country.

If I wasn't bisexual and a lesbian was attracted to me, I wouldn't be creeped out. I would act the same as I would if a man I wasn't attracted to asked me out and politely decline. I'm sure any decent man would do the same if a gay man approached them.

Or maybe I have to much faith in humanity/don't understand how men think.

Actually, the public school system kinda sucks, so perhaps getting rid of it (or, rather, just revamping it altogether) would be a good idea.

While I'm not defending DADT, I just have to say I find it funny that you use racism as an argument to stop EVERY thing you don't like. Just because the people are racist doesn't make the system.

Can you prove that the system isn't racist?
Because honestly, if racism pervades every institution we have, I think there's a big problem here.

Must make things pretty awkward if you think a female soldier has a crush on you :O

maybe we should just ban women, too!

to be specific, not to homophobes. My crush's and my best friend is heterosexual and she knows that him crushing on other guys all the time is perfectly normal. We all do, really. (hell, my female cousin's had a girlfriend since I don't eve know when (a heck of a long time) and my entire family's cool with it.)

Non-homophobic heterosexuals, in most cases, understand that it's a normal thing for a guy to crush on another guy; they may not be sexually attracted to guys (if they are male, and obviously females if they are female), but hopefully they understand that there's nothing wrong with it.

Look let's not be ridiculous here. I can honestly say that I am 100% non-homophobic, but even I would not find a guy crushing on me to be desirable, in a similar way to how I would not want a really ugly girl crushing on me either. The guy crush is a bit of a stickier situation though - it's more of an "unexplored territory" for a lot of people, as there's not a whole lot of precedent in media for it. Additionally, no one in said situation would want to offend anyone or appear homophobic, and then it's also a situation that might make some insecure men kind of question their sexuality a bit. It's just more awkward for a lot of people. I'm not saying it's a rational response but that's the way it is. I think that any straight person would either agree with this, or is lying to make themselves look more open minded than they actually are.

And if this is how a total non-homophobe feels - imagine how most of the nation must react in this type of situation.

Of course, in the army, you're expected to have extreme platonic bonds with your fellow soldiers and spend a lot of time doing manly activities or whatever with them, so the possibility of a one-way romantic relationship would fuck things up even more severely over there. Which is why they have the law, I can only assume.

But, like I said, I'm against Don't Ask Don't Tell, and I don't think this situation is really a big problem in the military (although what do I know). There's a really great article out there somewhere (it might even have been posted here waaaaay back in the thread) where a man interviews veterans about DADT and they all say something to the effect of "in the army, everyone is so close it just wouldn't matter if you're gay, you're still one of us". It's a good read if someone could find it.

I mean for most straight men yeah. You have to admit it would make things pretty awkward if you knew one of your army buddies was gay and you thought he might have a crush on you. This I think is the rationale behind the law.

No, it wouldn't. It'd be flattering, but I would refuse a sexual advance on the grounds that I don't find homosexual activity sexually stimulating. I prefer women. But nice that you like me.

Uh, what's with the generalising? ALL straight people would find it awkward? Really? Have you asked them? Do you know every straight person in the whole wide world?! Man, you must be popular!

Quite so - It's not particularly logical to think "Hmm. I don't like men advancing on me. Therefore, neither must any straight man!" [/repeating what has been said] On the contrary I'm sure many people would find it flattering and confidence-boosting. [/repeating again] I mean if I were to be approached in that way by, say, a member of the female sex (this has happened before, honest it has! Some people find me attractive, the silly people :C), I'd obviously reject them with guilt but at the same time feel somewhat... pleased with myself, you know? I don't see how it'd be any different for the (average) straight man being approached by a homosexual, um, man.

That's because guys with girls is the accepted social norm. Knowing you're good enough to be part of society makes you feel good, the inverse not so much. I'll try and make a reasonable analogy:

A member of the football team asks me to go play football with him. The general social stigma is that football = cool. I would have to decline, because I suck at catching, can't throw, and am slow, but I would be flattered because I was being asked to do something cool. Now let's turn the tables, assume I asked a member of the football team to play Pokemon with me. The general social stigma is that Pokemon = nerd. He would have to decline because he hasn't touched a Pokemon game in his life. Would he be flattered? I don't think so.

The minute you say "good enough to be part of society", the minute I lose what little respect I had for you.

That doesn't mean the football player's normal. It just means he's a douche. I refuse to believe that every person would be an ass about it.

Did I say "He'll laugh in your face?" No. I just said he wouldn't be flattered, doesn't mean he couldn't be respectful.

Zeta: I said they'd know it was normal for a homosexual person; I didn't mean for my post to have any connotation regarding whether one would be flattered by it.

Pwnemon: ...I hope to God that you're not implying that homosexuals aren't "good enough to be part of society."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom