• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some people in my class who think gay marriage and gays are "disgusting" and that's why they like proposition 8.

I think that attitude is disgusting as well, but I'm not petitioning to take away those people's rights to express themselves.

Some of these people don't even have a religious backing for not allowing gay marriage.
In other words, no gay marriage just 'cuz.

I really can't understand. True, it was a short argument between them and the entire class, but I can't understand. Maybe I could talk to them one day and figure out exactly why gays are "disgusting".

Eh, people tend to be scared of things that are unknown and new to them. Which is one of the reasons why the lack of representation of gay people in the media is appalling, I think.

That and the passing on of parental prejudices, but there's not too much you can do about that.

Yes, because no one ever looks for stuff about their favorite series online and fandom is entirely lacking in the gay.

Yes, if you search for "Naruto", you're somewhat likely to comes across fanfics with Naruto and Sasuke doing things - but the vast, vast amount of entertainment aimed at children and teens (and, hell, adults) features exclusively straight couples.
It shouldn't be the job of random people on the internet to get across the message that normal human beings can be gay.

The problem is that normal, healthy gay relationships aren't seen in our media. If they were (showing homosexuals as normal people) then we'd have no problems. People wouldn't be able to say "omg it's weird."

Hey there was a lesbian couple on house this morning.
No one said anything about it, there were two women with a sick baby born less than a few days ago.
their baby died, though :(

It shouldn't sound weird, it's a good thing.

Unfortunately the "good" viewpoints and attitudes aren't very often the popular ones ^w^

I agree with what Milla (Dark Shocktail) said about not identifying people by their sexuality. Despite being around heterosexuals almost all of my life (well, as far as I'm aware) but during my exposure to the one gay person I do know I didn't really pay any attention to his sexuality at all.

Hey there was a lesbian couple on house this morning.
No one said anything about it, there were two women with a sick baby born less than a few days ago.
their baby died, though :(

Yeah, but House is aimed at adults, not kids... not to mention that I watched that episode with my gay housemate and she managed to not notice they were together x.x
Plus, I'm being unimpressed with House's treatment of queer characters right now; I was annoyed at that episode with the gay guy in, wherein he did nothing but reinforce the "gay guys party and do drugs and get AIDS :D" stereotype, and what they're doing now with Thirteen having her have meaningless one night stands with women all over the place (reinforcing the "bisexuals will sleep with anything" stereotype) and she's blatantly going to end up having a "normal" relationship with the very male Foreman where she'll be much happier and more fulfilled :/.
Not cool, guys.

If I may:

blwe-09-25-08-piecharts3.jpg

Interestingly, there's not a single regular gay woman on TV (and of the 4 reoccuring lesbians, three of them are animated).
Worse, of the four female bisexual regulars... there are actually two. Callie and Erica of Grey's Anatomy got together a short while back, but the actor for one of them is being fired this week, and the other de-bisexualized. :/

I, for one, am not amused.

Last edited:
You know why it's not a word? Because it doesn't happen. News flash! People don't suddenly stop being whatever orientation they are.
The more I think about this, the madder I get.

You know why it's not a word? Because it doesn't happen. News flash! People don't suddenly stop being whatever orientation they are.
The more I think about this, the madder I get.

Or maybe because it's not common enough? This may not have happened to everyone, but at least I suddenly stopped being straight one day.
Though I would assume it's much less heard of when you become straight.

What I love is the lengths people are going to gaurd kids against homosexuality. As a kid I can safely say I wouldn't have cared. I'd be curious and ask questions, then I'd get bored and look around for something else to do.

And honestly, do they think kids being exposed to gay couples is a bad thing? That it'll "turn" them? If that was the case, wouldn't they be "turned" by all the straight couples they see in media etc?

Epic fail logic is EPIC PHAIL =D

Not really. The only sway it could hold is if the kid forever saw disfunctional, uneasy heterosexual couples compared to happy, stable homosexual couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom