• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it doesn't really matter what you call it since the point is it's a) not a choice and b) even if it was a choice there is no reason to be judged for it.

They can't be unrelated and be opposites. That is a relation. And, yes, I get that they're entirely different things; they can be entirely different, related things. You don't get to use your own definition of "opposite" or "relation" to suit yourself.

You did say that your brain was wired differently. You said that a transsexual person has the brain of one gender in (until surgery) the opposite sex's body. That the brain is wired differently than what would fit that body. And you are transsexual, yes...?

You can't assume that everyone else going through it is going through all the same things. People are different and will have different reactions and feelings towards being the wrong sex. I really find it hard to believe that there's any great consensus among all transsexuals. But in your circle, sure, there may very well be.

Also note that I say people are different. Boys and girls aren't wired so differently that they can't help but develop different personalities; that's nearly all society's doing.

Yes, I get that you were telling shadow_lugia that she wasn't making sense. That much was discernible. But your words were so jumbled together that I can't even tell what your point was supposed to be; you touch three different subjects in one sentence and I have no idea how you're trying to relate them.

I guess I also don't get this whole elevation of gender identity — or whatever self-identity — I see from some people? As if, no matter what a person is really like, her identity is as a female, or a lesbian, or an Asian, or...

EDIT: Also I still don't see where you're getting your assertion that "between males and females predominantly there are differences".

It's more of a subjective difference than trying to rewrite the definitions, albeit I may have mispoken - yes, they're in the same realm, but I still believe they have no true relations to one another.

I'm not quite sure where you came to that conclusion but.. okay. Yes, I am trans, and what that implies is I have to mannerisms, habits and associations commonly associated with females - and a disconnection with my body, for lack of a better way to put it - in the likes of sexual response and outward appearance. What I said is that in general, male and female brains have different processes and though everyone has their own personality there are preconceived responses to different situations.

Are you thinking of the same thing I am? As far as clearing records of previous gender, name, and otherwise all legal documentations from before transition you would be hard pressed to find ANY transperson who isn't desperate to have it all burnt. It's made incredibly difficult by society - but what's worse is having it linger or be discovered. I could dig up multiple cases of transpeople going to court and being outed and an underhanded defence against their cases - or them passing away and having their old name and gender broadcasted when referring to them.

I don't really get how you mean I'm trying to put out three different points in one sentence. :/ I really don't feel that I was - but I tend to have multiple trains of thought running at once so it's possible. In general I was trying to differentiate two issues that she brought up as relating. I'm not quite sure how else to put that..

And the elevation of identity is attempting to overcome society's preconceived notions of it. Part of what I'm trying to get across is that that issue -isn't- the case.

And that was a bad way for me to word the second paragraph in this response.

I don't think the issue is so much "men and women are wired differently" as it is "everyone thinks men and women are wired differently and as such have completely different expectations of you based on what junk you have". For some people this happens to be incredibly frustrating.

For my two cents - as a queer/trans/something person, I have a vision of who I am on the inside and feel as though that inner me is male; I also have strong issues with my body being incorrect and would like to seek therapy to change it as much as possible; but I have no real desire to fulfill any gender role in particular and really don't give a shit about fitting in with other people's pre-conceived notions of what a man should act like. For someone to look at me and say "that man acts really girly" would be enough, because at least they're acknowledging that I'm male.

Some trans people feel a stronger connection with a particular gender identity than I do, others less so. There's obviously no one transgendered/sexual mindset.

The biggest problem I think with having your past dug up is getting shit like "you used to be a man lololol" or "you're not really a woman lolol" from ignorant people, and possibly even getting fired/etc if your boss is a big enough prick. It's not a pleasant thing, no, but just how much it bothers a person is obviously going to vary.

The biggest problem I think with having your past dug up is getting shit like "you used to be a man lololol" or "you're not really a woman lolol" from ignorant people, and possibly even getting fired/etc if your boss is a big enough prick. It's not a pleasant thing, no, but just how much it bothers a person is obviously going to vary.

Grounds for suing.

I could swear it's mentioned in the state's employee rights poster tacked on the wall at work. And this is South Carolina, I mean come on.

Unfortunately in lotsa states there were no rules about identity-based discrimination. I mean, excepting that recent antidiscrimination law I think Obama either passed or is trying to pass, nothing was stopping workplaces from discriminating against trans people (also queer people in general). So you really didn't have the grounds to sue you'd expect...

I don't think the issue is so much "men and women are wired differently" as it is "everyone thinks men and women are wired differently and as such have completely different expectations of you based on what junk you have". For some people this happens to be incredibly frustrating.
just butting in to say IAWTC to the extreme

Since the topic of gay genes came up, I'd just like to say that I really hate the nature vs nurture debate, because it deals in absolutes, and I don't like absolutes.

Very few things are absolutely nature and even fewer things are absolutely nurture. I think it's just as possible to be born gay as it is to become gay. The real issue is why it makes a difference.

I really hate the nature vs nurture debate, because it deals in absolutes

No it doesn't. Any debate of this kind is defined in terms of extremes; that doesn't mean those extremes are the only options.

I don't really care about people being Gey/Lesbian- I mean, sure, it's disturbing, and it makes me shiver a little, but im not one to say that if one is a gey he doesn't deserve to live. I mean, there are lots of people who say geys/lesbians must be insinerated- and I believe THIS is what makes one understand who's the real monster.
I mean, its not that if one is gey and you are a guy he's gonna attack you and fuck you.

P.S. Im saying this because I used to know a gey. We weren't friends, though, jsut happened to see him then and when.
And IM NOT GEY!

I don't really care about people being Gey/Lesbian- I mean, sure, it's disturbing, and it makes me shiver a little, but im not one to say that if one is a gey he doesn't deserve to live. I mean, there are lots of people who say geys/lesbians must be insinerated- and I believe THIS is what makes one understand who's the real monster.
I mean, its not that if one is gey and you are a guy he's gonna attack you and fuck you.

P.S. Im saying this because I used to know a gey. We weren't friends, though, jsut happened to see him then and when.
And IM NOT GEY!

That's actually just as offensive as someone who wants to "insinerate" homosexuals but in a different way. Yours is much more vile and insidious. It creeps in and doesn't really look all that dangerous but it really is. "Oh, we'll allow the gays to exist... but they're still disgusting and wrong."

That's a horrible attitude to have and is just as bad as outright hatred. Why is it "disturbing"? Is anything that you're not "disturbing"? Are you "disturbed" by penguins? Do you feel revulsion and disgust whenever you see a cat? Do intelligent people make you feel ill?

And IM NOT GEY!
your spelling is disturbing and should be insinerated

your mom is disturbing and should be insinerated

yes i just went there

anyway back on track what about gey homersexuals

Just poppin' in to say that I don't find anything wrong with gays, blah blah and that we watched that DVD of John Corvino in RE, and it converted a class of homophobes into homo...friends? Nah that's probably offensive, but~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom