• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biblically, marriage is between a man and a woman. So a "gay wedding" is...just doesn't seem right. They (gays) could have a non-religious ceremony celebrating their living together. I think the "marriage" should be recognized on Life Insurance policies, but being able to be quote-on-quote "married" in all states in the US...I dunno.

Marriage is a civil ceremony first and a religious ceremony second. This is why atheists and non-Christians can get married. You obviously haven't been married because if you had been, you would have remembered at some point, signing a legal document notifying the government that you and your spouse have been married. That's why ministers say "By the power invested in me by the State of [insert name here]" or similar exclamations. The religious aspect is a choice of bride and groom.

In fact, the earliest recorded marriage laws are from ancient Babylon, predating the Bible by at least 300 years and at most 1200. And that marriage law just states that a man marrying a woman and then not doing her is grounds for divorce.

Also, I'm curious, because I've never seen the exact passage produced - where exactly does the Bible define marriage as being between a man and a woman?

it doesn't. I think that claim has been refuted in the past in this very thread, but I don't feel like looking it up. (actually, I think it's a few passages in leviticus and then some counterexamples in some other book, but meh.)

Out on a dinner with my true love, the candles are lit, the food is divine, the music swells, I pull out a ring...
"Will you commitment ceremony me?"
The romance.

If I remember right (don't quote me on this, I haven't read the Bible more than once and I've forgotten most of it) there is one passage that condems male/male sex and that's it as far as condemnation of homosexuals goes. There are hundreds of passages condemning heterosexuals.
Therefore, God hates heterosexuals far more than homosexuals.
EDIT: it says A man shall marry A woman but there's no real mention of a deviation from this rule being wrong so uh

Personally, I think all people are equal, whether they're straight, gay, or not interested in any gender. Besides, descrimination is a heartless and cold thing.

If I remember right (don't quote me on this, I haven't read the Bible more than once and I've forgotten most of it) there is one passage that condems male/male sex and that's it as far as condemnation of homosexuals goes.
Actually, it only says that in 1 or 2 versions. Most dont even talk about it. Nothing annoies me more that that weird guy in your town that wants to stone gays. I am, as they say, Supportive, but not actually gay. That is one of my most strongest motions, to bring gay awareness to those that hate gays. I wish that we could agree that gayness isn't unnatural, because there is proof that many animal, including penguins and zebras, I believe, that practice homosexuall actions, so, in reality, gays are just as intended for by nature as straight guys and girls, so why all the fuss?

Dogs'll go around humping everything. That's natural.
You wouldn't want me walking over to you out of no where and attempting to shag your leg, though.

I don't understand why the whole natural thing matters, just like I don't understand why whethere it's a choice or not matters.

It means that your arguement is basically 'Gayness is bad, but we can't help it so we're allowed'.
There's nothing wrong with being gay, so why does it matter if it's natural or not? Or if it's a choice or not?
I read a book last night. That's sure as hell not natural, and it was a bloody choice, so are people gonna condemn me for it?

About the Bible thing, we had this Sex Ed day on Tuesday, where basically the director of an AIDs charity, a Buddhist Lama, Protestant Priest and an Evangelical Fundamentalist came in to teach us about gays, cohabitation and adultery, and the priest basically sat us down and said that if you count all references to straight sex, only like one or two of them are actually presented in a good light. The rest are adulteries, orgies, all that. He said that if you can't use those references to condem heterosexuality, then you can't use, say, Soddom or Gomorrah to condemn gay sex.

The rest had some fairly typical things to say, 'cept the Buddhist. She said that anal sex destroys the chakras or something. I lol'd.

I find it funny how people who quote Soddom against gays conveniently forget how, verses later, Lott shags his daughters. And that's presented as a good thing.

'Now that we all live in a cave, with whom shall we serve our only duty as women?'
'Daddy.'
*Rohypnol*

Also God gives a bunch of reasons why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, most of which boiled down to "because the people were dicks". In one of those verses, he says something that could be interpreted as relating to sleeping with people of the same gender (and it would be a massive stretch, considering it's worded "they committed abomination", which really doesn't necessarily imply homosexuality), and all the fundies instantly start saying that homosexuality is the reason the cities were destroyed, because they have tunnel vision when it comes to the Bible.

Also God gives a bunch of reasons why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, most of which boiled down to "because the people were dicks". In one of those verses, he says something that could be interpreted as relating to sleeping with people of the same gender (and it would be a massive stretch, considering it's worded "they committed abomination", which really doesn't necessarily imply homosexuality), and all the fundies instantly start saying that homosexuality is the reason the cities were destroyed, because they have tunnel vision when it comes to the Bible.

there's actually legitimate reasons given elsewhere (book of amos comes to mind); uh, none of them actually give homosexuality as a reason.

fundies, your argument = destroyed.

Actually there is a passage in the Bible against gay sex: Leviticus 18:22.

"Do not lie with a man as you would with a woman, for that is an abomination in the sight of the LORD."

Actually there is a passage in the Bible against gay sex: Leviticus 18:22.

"Do not lie with a man as you would with a woman, for that is an abomination in the sight of the LORD."

"I tell you, in that night there will be two men in one bed; one will be taken, the other left."

Therefore, exactly half of homosexuals are good enough in God's eyes to be raptured.

Slightly more relevant: who cares what is your point! The Bible is certainly not a shield to use to defend your misconceptions! I would be remiss in not mentioning this too I guess.

"I tell you, in that night there will be two men in one bed; one will be taken, the other left."

Therefore, exactly half of homosexuals are good enough in God's eyes to be raptured.

Slightly more relevant: who cares what is your point! The Bible is certainly not a shield to use to defend your misconceptions! I would be remiss in not mentioning this too I guess.

How do you know the two men in bed are banging away? I sleep in a bed with my brother in the Holiday Inn; they only have two queen sized and my parents take one.

Secondly, I NEVER STATED A POINT. I was just giving the passage that the people above were talking about! Thank you.

How do you know the two men in bed are banging away? I sleep in a bed with my brother in the Holiday Inn; they only have two queen sized and my parents take one.

Secondly, I NEVER STATED A POINT. I was just giving the passage that the people above were talking about! Thank you.

Except that passage has been addressed many, many times in this thread already...

What position were you sleeping in? This is very important, since you can't lie the same way with a woman now!

Why you gotta be a creep about it? You know the meaning of that passage and you're purposefully misconstruing it. Don't try to say that's not true, you're smart enough to type correctly.

Let's try to put this into political terms. Just for a change of pace:

Segregation isn't allowed (at least in the US), right?

If that is the case, then why should heterosexuals be allowed to sleep with whoever they want, when homosexuals can't?

Going back to religion, if God put the idea of integration into people's minds (omg Mrs K thank you for that argument), how can it be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom