• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Hunting

Dewgong

babababa
You're opinions on hunting. We want them.

Is it right or wrong? Are you against it, or are you a hunter yourself?

You must have a reason.

I don't think it's right because the animal didn't do anything to you. The animal doesn't deserve to be killed. Think about it. How would you feel to be suddenly shot? :[

Animals have rights too. ;D;

Last edited:
Re: Hunting.

I'm am against huntings 100%. It would be understandable if we needed to do it for meat, but we have farms. We can easily get meat from supermarkets because of these farms. There is absolutely no need for animals, such as Foxes, to become exinct for "sport". I especially hate the hunters who use dogs to aid in their huntings. These animals haven't ever really done anything majorly catastrophic to the human race, (Okay, I'm exculding rats and fleas with the Black Death out of this as no one hunts rats or fleas for sport.) whereas we're just slaughtering them to extinction. The human race is supposed to be "intelligent". If we're so intelligent, why can people still hunt, and more importantly, why can they hunt animals that are in danger of becoming endangered or extinct?

I think hunting for sport is sick. There is absolutely nothing manly about shooting a moose and I don't get how killing animals makes people feel like they've achieved something.

However, I think that hunting for food is no worse than buying animals pre-killed from a supermarket. Honestly, I think hunting is less wrong just because the industrial meat-making process makes me feel physically ill and at least animals killed in the wild have known some freedom.

On the other hand, hunting requires guns, and I'm not too fond of those.

Hunting for sport is sick... if you just enjoy the hunt, tagging would be far better. On the other hand, hunting for food is fine. Wild animals develop entirely different flavors as a result of their more active lives. Besides, they don't sell many meats in supermarkets.

I'm against hunting completely, for sport and otherwise. Take foxes for example, sure they're a pest for farmers, but how is getting a load of dogs attacking a small group of foxes fun?

people are animals

animals hunt

...?

Then people should hunt people?

Last edited:

Hunting, even for sport, I think is alright if you're going to use it for something (food, whatever) when you kill it. If you're just going to kill an animal to kill it, that's just dumb, but hunting in a controlled way, especially for food is fine and great and everything.

Especially because if you're eating meat from a wild animal that you killed, it's probably more humane than eating meat that you'd get from the supermarket or something because like Dannichu said, it did have a shot at life at least, whereas an animal raised on a commercial farm was pretty much raised to be slaughtered. It's not like it's a viable option for everyone to get meat from hunting, but it is, I think, a more... humane (and possibly more environmentally-friendly? Seems like it would be, at least) way to get meat for food.

I do know a lot of people that hunt, and they all use the meat for food and so I think it's fine, as long as it's controlled so that things can't be overhunted.

Call me when you find a wolf that has a deer head mounted over its fireplace.

Not particularly enamored with hunting for trophies or just for the hell of it, but food or for controlling overpopulation is okay, sure.

For sport: No, no way. Get rid of it. Sick. Unacceptable. Cruel. Bad. We don't care about your stupid customs and traditions. Hundreds of years ago it was traditional to live in huts made of straw and pig shit but I don't see you moving in, so shut it.

For food: Maybe acceptable.

For population control: Necessary evil.

people are animals

animals hunt

...?

People can reason. Animals can't.

People have morals. Animals don't.

Humans feel an unnecessary need to destroy everything around them. Animals don't.

I see nothing wrong with hunting deer for sport, given their overpopulation issues.

It is better, however, if someone eats it. :/

Hunting for sport is just sick. What the hell is so cool and manly about having an innocent animal's head mounted on your wall? Ooh, I took a life, I'm so hardcore. (My uncle's like that, which I hate. ><)

Hunting for food makes more sense. If something's getting dangerously overpopulated, kill them and use them for food - it's still cruel, but like Mike said, a necessary evil. If it's not overpopulated, and you want to kill like one or two for food, that's fine, too.

If there's a point for it other than showing your self-proclaimed awesomeness, then sure. Otherwise, put down the gun.

You know what would be really awesome?

Giving the deer guns so they can fight back. :D Now that'd be a sport I'd watch!

What about hunting for sport and eating what you kill?
Most people here seem to think it's either one or the other.

I partially agree with most people here, though. It's wasteful to shoot a animal just for the sake of shooting it.

Humans feel an unnecessary need to destroy everything around them. Animals don't.

If we have the urge to destroy everything, then how come we're the only animal to develop (and respect) things like art and culture on our own? If we really wanted to destroy everything around us, then how did human societys ever develop?

Humans don't want to destroy just to destroy. Humans simply want to improve their lives, despite the consequences there may be.

People can reason. Animals can't.

I am sure other animals can reason to an extent. For example, would it be better to go hunt for food now, or wait until the freaking people are out of the area?

Anyways, I think hunting is perfectly acceptable, as long as most of the parts are used.

The fur can be made into clothing*, the meat eaten, the sinew turned into string, etc.

*Just an example of using as many parts as possible. Don't want to start a mini-debate on fur clothing

Actually, I should have stated this with my opinion. I don't mind hunting either, as long as you're going to eat the meat and not waste it, or wear the fur. Or even better; do both.

Hunting as a sport is disgusting though. Killing the animal and leaving it there...

I keep typing anime instead of animal. :[

We can easily get meat from supermarkets because of these farms.

That's a bit difficult when the nearest supermarket is 20 miles away, and has ridiculously overpriced produce to boot. Here it's cheaper to just buy a permit and some bullets, and get the meat yourself. P=

Also venison backstrap is the most delicious meat ever. <333 You can't buy that at your regular Safeway, now can you?

You know what would be really awesome?

Giving the deer guns so they can fight back. :D Now that'd be a sport I'd watch!

Eh, it might be tricky for them to pull a trigger since they don't have thumbs. I'd be in favour of taking away the guns of those silly Outdoor Channel hunters and giving the deer sharp, metal-tipped antlers, though. :3 The entertainment would last longer that way.

All in all, though, I support hunting for food. I'm a bit meh-ish on hunting for sport, but if you take everything and use it somehow, I guess it's okay.

There's not really any excuse for it in the UK. We don't have any animal overpopulation problems and you're never more than 30 metres away from a Tesco's.

(that's a lie, by the way)

Plus, practically nobody owns guns anyway.

Pretty much what everyone else said. It's understandable for food, but not for sport. I don't get why people think it's fun killing innocent animals.

Unless it's Duck Hunt, because that's a video game.

Back
Top Bottom