• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions I'm gonna diiig, diiig, dig

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
RIGHT so I've been trying to get myself to draw more, so here's a thread.

I haven't really produced anything recently that feels "finished", and none of my old finished art is worth showing off (or even around anymore), so have some drawings of variable sketchiness!

(These are in chronological order, so if you're going to look at anything, look at the bottom of the list.)

(EDIT 2011-07-31: This is just a list of stuff I had at the time I made the thread; it's not something I'm updating. Even though I originally planned to. Laaazy.)

[2010-10-20] A Latias that I don't particularly like anymore but that I'm putting up for comparison because it was the first thing I drew after I decided to start drawing again last October.
[2011-01-10] Wigglytuff and a Perfect Apple. I drew this on an angle and it actually came out skewed, so I had to squish it down vertically to make it look like it looked to me as I drew it.
[2011-01-12] Mismageeveeus. It was really late by the time I stopped working on this so I tried like fifty times to get the hat's nearer brim-frill thing right and eventually I almost wore through the paper and decided to drop it.
[2011-01-20] Eevitomb. surskitty said I should draw something silly involving an Odd Keystone.
[2011-01-25] Reuniclus, Whimsicott, and Litwick as the Powerpuff Girls. Verne made me.
[2011-02-18] [colour!] A sleepy Darumaka! I think I actually scribbled this weeks earlier, but then I went back and coloured it because I felt like picking colours for something.
[2011-03-10] Super-sketchy Ninetales
[2011-03-22] Some super-quick Azurills. The left one is my first attempt at lining it, and then I got discouraged, and then I slowed down, thought a moment, and decided to see what would happen if I gave it more patience. (And then I got bored halfway through retouching it, but I saw that patience helped!)
[2011-03-25] [colour!] A Mewtini, though not necessarily the Mewtini. I'm proud of the colour on this one! Picking a pink that didn't look weirdly red next to that orange and yellow but also didn't look too salmony was a challenge! I'll probably continue it but I'm bored of it for now.

ANYWAY I need ideas. Ideas would be great.

Last edited:
Re: groove out!

I really think this is some good work, Zhorken. I'd love to see some of it finished.

IDEA: Darmanitan poking a Zen Mode Darmanitan in the face.

I'm digging these funky colors you got going on here. Unshaded colors = best colors. Yes.

IDEA: darumaka facehuggers clinging like little spiders to zen mode darmanitan. yes.

IDEA: A Ninetales getting mad about people confusing him for a girl all the time? ("Don't say I'm like a girl! I hate that! Don't ever say it again!")

../uncreative

...sleepy darumaka sooo adorable.

I made a five-or-ten-minute sketch of my cats last night that I really like! And I've drawn like eight more sketches since then. I'm trying to get myself to just practice instead of fussing over perfection and trying to make 'finished' things when what I really need is lots of practice. And it's working!

(That's also why I drew that in pen: to get myself not to spend more time fussing and erasing than drawing.)

EDIT: There are a few other sketches I particularly like that I might scan, but probably not; scanning them without taking them out of my sketchbook is kind of a pain.

EDIT2: I might still also take the suggestions posted so far; I just haven't yet.

Hmm... maybe you could draw a Rapidash drinking out of a body of water? That's the only thing I can think of.

Here is a thing in progress! It's an Eifurret (Eifie, form of a Furret) doing a weasel war dance type thing. Boing!

I wanted to stay up all night and finish this but Iiiii don't think that's happening anymore. I don't know exactly what "finish" will mean but I'm sure there are mistakes I'll see and fix when I get back to it, and I want to clean it up somewhat, and shade it, and the eventual goal is something I can make an avatar out of (and there will be a matching Zhorkentret.)

seriously I've been working on this for two hours this is just two hours and I'm tired to boot! I feel like a wizard. I don't know how amazing it'll look to anyone else but it's amazing for me! I need to get myself to do this more! way more!

Also if anyone can tell me how I can improve it this one is really important so that'd be especially great! c:

It's really adorable! :D I like the slightly-darker lines, and how they're slightly sketchy, it really adds to the cuteness. Umm, a suggestion, you could make the stripes get lighter as they get farther away, to add dimension. (Or darker, or less saturated! Or lighter and less saturated, whatever!)

Oh gosh is it. I woke up after three hours of sleep and I decided to sneak on the computer for a couple minutes before we go and I was like "oh wow I should just delete that" but! apparently not!

Your drawings are so cuuuute. My favourite is the Pokemon PPGs in the first post, but I like pretty much everything :D

I can't really think of any real improvements to the weaseldance picture - I sort of want to suggest making it look a bit fluffier (do weasels fluff themselves up? I always imagine Furrets being more fluffy than their sprites let on, because of the 'fur' bit), but i'm not sure how well it'd work in your style. But I think it looks great as it is :)

That eeveetomb is so fuzzy-looking! I like the Mewtini two. It reminds me of my drawings. Mostly it's nose. And the latias is SOOO CUTE! Don't you just want to hug it!

I like the misagieeveeus two.

Oh, right, I have a thread here...

I'm really happy with this magpie! It's kind of a hodgepodge because I'm not that familiar with doing digital art and I was experimenting with a lot of things but I like it a lot for what it is.

I've been posting stuff semi-regularly on my Tumblr under the "#art" tag, including recently this big impressive playstructure sketch (which didn't come out very well under the scanner but whatever. Also you can click it to make it bigger, for those unfamiliar with Tumblr.)

Last edited:
That magpie is wonderfully drawn! It definitely has a realistic vibe to it. I'm liking how you've implied feathers on it and how its talons are looking pretty spiffy. Although, the magpie's head has just a little contrast, so it looks a tad flat.

Aww, they're all so cuuuute! Suggestion: SHUCKLE PLUSHIE!!! Sleepy ones are allus cute.

tumblr_lt9gy8yCzr1qh0azeo1_500.png

More cute! For Eifie.

Zhorken, you are extremely talented. I enjoy your artwork. Keep up the good work and don't judge yourself so harshly.

I demand you draw my profile picture right now.

Okay, fine. Pretty please.

(read: try drawing my profile picture!)

I haven't got anything negative that hasn't been said! Keep it up.

Another idea is drawing my RP character Blazaria, if you don't mind looking for the Maeror Astrorum sign up thread for my description of her and someone else's rendition of her.

I think she'd look adorable in your style.

Back
Top Bottom