• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I'm not really interested in music but want to be

not true the bends is fucking easy to get into so is ok computer

ok kid a is just weird but still

not true the bends is fucking easy to get into so is ok computer
The first album I got by them was In Rainbows (which is arguably their most accessible album) and I hated it at first, so, I dunno. I especially disagree with you on OK Computer... it's pretty hard to like at first because of Thom's voice.

Listen to Daft Punk...

Why the fuck is everyone arguing about this? OP: It looks like you're interested in faster-paced music. Listen to some of your favorite game soundtracks. Some of them have their roots in other genres, like rock or classical. Find the one that you like best, then download it from the Internets. Or, look it up on sites like ocremix.org, where they have a ton of arrangements of game soundtracks. This will give you an idea of what you are interested in.

Why the fuck is everyone arguing about this?

I'm convinced that's what happens when you talk about music and everyone's got different tastes. Someone starts something. Human nature and such. In any case, we really shouldn't argue in a thread about someone wanting to get into music...

Hmmm... One thing I can say is that you shouldn't just ask for... 'rock'. 'Rock' could mean damn near anything. Good that you said 'newer' rock, though, at least I know not to recommend Jefferson Airplane and other sorts of psychedelic rock, but who knows, maybe that'll be your style.

Maybe you should go to the Last.fm thread (pinned at the top) and just click random people's profiles. Then play their library. Or maybe type a genre (don't worry about not getting it right) into Last.fm's search bar, select tag, and search. You can find radio stations of that genre from there. I don't know if it requires an account, though, probably doesn't. If you make an account, befriend me please.

At least you've given us somewhere to start, though. God knows what might happen if you didn't! =P

Most of the people I've suggested this to have mixed opinions, but you can decide if it works for you.

Pandora radio. Find an artist you like and type it in, and it will find you songs that are musically similar to what that artist does; type in a song, and it will find you songs that are specifically similar to that one song. You can give songs a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, and it will adjust what it plays accordingly.

I know that a couple years ago I was in the exact same position as you, and this website is how I got into music, so I hope it's helpful. It's similar to last.fm, except that it chooses music based on which specific songs are musically similar to what you like rather than based on what other people listen to. (Even if it doesn't help you find music, it's pretty addictive to experiment with.)

Most of the people I've suggested this to have mixed opinions, but you can decide if it works for you.

Pandora radio. Find an artist you like and type it in, and it will find you songs that are musically similar to what that artist does; type in a song, and it will find you songs that are specifically similar to that one song. You can give songs a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, and it will adjust what it plays accordingly.

I know that a couple years ago I was in the exact same position as you, and this website is how I got into music, so I hope it's helpful. It's similar to last.fm, except that it chooses music based on which specific songs are musically similar to what you like rather than based on what other people listen to. (Even if it doesn't help you find music, it's pretty addictive to experiment with.)
Is there anything similar to Pandora? Their licensing prevented them from streaming outside the US.

Is there anything similar to Pandora? Their licensing prevented them from streaming outside the US.

Last.fm has streaming, but the selection can be a bit lacking.

I have been told Spotify has a great selection while remaining free. It's free version is (only) available in the UK, France, Spain, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. However, I have also heard it's a bit biased towards more obscure music, but that's not too surprising considering it's free. (ad supported, with a subscription available in the above countries and a few more)

Just go to Spotify.com, though I know next to nothing about the service.

Back
Top Bottom