• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Imperial or Metric?

Imperial or Metric?

• Imperial

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Metric

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Both

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

bulbasaur

Not quite e^(-(x-μ)²/(2σ²)) / (σ√(2π))
So, here's a completely arbitrary question: Do you use imperial units, the metric system, or a mix in your daily lives?

Me, I use pounds, but don't use ounces or cups (grams and litres instead). I use Pascals instead of bars or PSI, degrees Celcius instead of degrees Fahrenheit, and metres instead of yards and miles. However, I still use acres and square feet, and US paper sizes like letter and legal.

Last edited:
Metric for pretty much everything, though I think I have a better grasp on distances in miles than kilometres, because of our silly road signs.

I just can't stand imperial because there are so many numbers to remember. Is it 12 inches to a foot or 14? Or is that ounces to a stone? It just gets too confusing!

It's annoying that my parents always ask me for measurements in imperial because then I have to convert it. And everyone from school only do imperial for measuring people's height and weight so there's that too.

I don't think it is humanly possible to prefer imperial if you grew up with metric. Everything is so silly and arbitrary! Why on earth hasn't that system been completely ditched yet?

I don't think it is humanly possible to prefer imperial if you grew up with metric. Everything is so silly and arbitrary! Why on earth hasn't that system been completely ditched yet?

Ikr?
If I didn't grow up with Imperial, I would never use it.

MetricMetricMetric.

Although I use Imperial to make parts and things (yes I am a machinist), I much prefer the Metric system because like Butterfree said (loosely) Imperial is dumb and makes no sense. Who thought twelve was a good base unit? They deserve to be punched. >:|

Actually 12 is an excellent base unit. All sorts of things divide it. So is 24! Or 60!

I JUST DON'T KNOW

I use both!! CAN'T THEY JUST GET ALONG? Everything here seems to be half-imperial, half-metric!

The main reason that they haven't gotten rid of Imperial is because it's kinda too late, as some people have gotten so used to it. Yeah, not a very good reason, but that's basically why.

Anyway, I don't have much need to use measurements outside of school, so I can't really say. When referring to my height, I usually use the imperial system because a) it's what I grew up with and b) it's easier to say "I'm five feet" than "I'm 1.52 meters".
oh god i am so short D:

edit: metric is easier though, I honestly can never remember how many feet/yards are in a mile, it's such a random number fffs

I am of course a dumb American, so I use imperial. Metric is a million times easier and makes a shitton more sense, however.

Actually 12 is an excellent base unit. All sorts of things divide it. So is 24! Or 60!

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...

But if you are serious:

Yeah, but ten is so much more convenient. And easier to count by. And easier to convert. And lazy person's argument is lazy, but it really does make things go by so much quicker.

I've never used anything except metric. I literally cannot understand measurements in imperial; if you say that something is eight inches long then I have no idea what that is.

The only exception would be measuring distances in miles, and as Rasrap Smurf explained that's because the UK still uses them for some odd reason.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...

But if you are serious:

Yeah, but ten is so much more convenient. And easier to count by. And easier to convert. And lazy person's argument is lazy, but it really does make things go by so much quicker.

Of course it is, but only because we think in base 10. Arithmetic would be much easier in one of the other bases I mentioned. The point is, using base 12 makes sense, except that everyone is so used to base 10 that it doesn't really work.

Of course it is, but only because we think in base 10. Arithmetic would be much easier in one of the other bases I mentioned. The point is, using base 12 makes sense, except that everyone is so used to base 10 that it doesn't really work.

Actually, I think the only reason we work in base-10 is because teaching children even simple math like counting in different bases would be torturous as the overwhelming majority of children that age have ten fingers.

Back
Top Bottom