• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

indie/alternative rock

Tarvos

helt plötsligt blev det tyst
discuss how indie is now better than metal

bands i like are

radiohead, snow patrol, death cab for cutie, bon iver, sigur ros, built to spill, pixies, sonic youth, godspeed you! black emperor, a silver mt. zion, god is an astronaut, brand new, some modest mouse, the dismemberment plan, the cure, joy division, hum and more

As far as "indie" goes, I like Seabear and Klee.

If we're going to broaden it to all flavors of alternative rock, I enjoy Silbermond, Wir sind Helden, Garbage, Rosenstolz, Tori Amos, and No Doubt.

indie bands i like include deerhunter, black dice, liars, animal collective, grizzly bear, atlas sound, neutral milk hotel, stereolab, no age, panda bear, pavement, liz phair, phoenix, and more.

alternative bands i like - and we're stretching this definition as far as we possible can, to count punk, post-punk, new wave, shoegaze, noise, etc. - include my bloody valentine, sonic youth, talk talk, the jesus and mary chain, pixies, the breeders, dinosaur jr., XTC, squeeze, elvis costello, television, patti smith, gang of four, joy division, echo & the bunnymen, joe jackson, blondie, talking heads, ramones, the clash, the sex pistols, suicide, the pop group, teenage jesus and the jerks, DNA, beck, slowdive, ride, boredoms, r.e.m., nirvana, and probably more.

music that's neither indie nor alternative, but still widely acclaimed (or not so widely acclaimed) in these circles, that i like includes the velvet underground, the stooges, iggy pop, new york dolls, david bowie, can, NEU!, and more.

i love a lot of different kinds of rock music. i'm always willing to try anything, but i tend to connect most with post-velvet underground bands.

oh okay :B

hey fc, what're good shoegaze bands? i've always wanted to try shoegaze.

Shoegaze is fucking awesome. Cocteau Twins, Autumn's Grey Solace, Slowdive, and My Bloody Valentine are great places to start. Once you fall in love with shoegaze you don't go back.

Edit: Didn't see you were asking fc specifically. Sorry.

I hate indie. :(

However, I like many who do alternative, including My Chemical Romance, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Matchbook Romance, Muse, Garbage, Orianthi, Paramore, God is an Astronaut, REM, and Sigur Ros.

slowdive is a good if you want something.. um.. slower in pace. shoegaze is a very ambient kind of music, and they're the shoegaze band i've listened to that leans towards ambient music the most. to put it in perspective, brian eno collaborated with them. at the same time, shoegaze is a characteristically noisy music, and they're pretty tame in that regard. that's not to say they're bad, because they're not. if you enjoy music that's energetic or loud, they just might not be your thing.

ride is the rockiest of the shoegaze bands i've heard. everything they do is turned up way loud, but it's more apparent in their music that there's a method to the madness. i can't say too much about them because i've only heard, like, a song, but it only took one song for me to recognize major differences. i heard one song off of nowhere, their first album. their stuff is probably the most accessible out of the shoegaze bands i've heard.

my bloody valentine is my favorite and probably the best, but they're an odd one; they are cited as a shoegaze band on one hand and just an alternative band that had a much noisier edge to them at the same time. they're deemed shoegaze retroactively, i mean. loveless is their crown jewel, but it's totally inaccessible. it's a grower, for sure; i really disliked it when i bought it, but now it's one of my absolute favorite albums. if you asked me to explain why i liked it, i could only use subjective terms. try "you made me realise" or "feed me with your kiss" and see how you feel about those.

if none of these bands interest you, the other names i know are swervedriver and lush. i don't know many shoegaze groups from the 90s.. last.fm's shoegaze page lists deerhunter, m83, asobi seksu, the pains of being pure at heart, and school of seven bells as shoegaze. they're all right, but none of them are shoegaze in the vein of the three bands i mentioned above.

if you think knowing about the antecedents to certain music helps you understand the music (it helps me sometimes, maybe you operate similarly?), definitely check out the jesus and mary chain and cocteau twins. there's also galaxie 500 and spacemen 3. i don't know how many shoegaze bands cite them as an influence, but i know some of them like those groups.

ShiningGlass: nah that's cool, I'll check them out.

fc: I'm into slow, I'm into ambient, I'm into noise. I'm sure I'll like slowdive. And I'll look into those other bands too...

thanks, both of ye.

don't worry, shiningglass. it's cool that someone else listens to shoegaze. i don't meet many people who are into the same kind of music as me.

to add to the "indie" discussion, i just use indie as a label for bands that exhibit a bit of creative freedom. indie itself isn't a very good definition for a kind of music; at the same time, a lot of bands fall in between two genre classifications without leaning towards one, so it's a good blanket term. maybe it's lazy, but i feel like it's appropriate.

shit i have been listening to god is an astronaut nonstop

i never realised how amazing they are

pretty much every band i listen to is indie/alternative ("alternative", by the way, being one of the stupidest genre names i have ever heard. what the fuck is coldplay an alternative to?). i mean occasionally i listen to some metal or hip hop but yeah.

radiohead, animal collective, and of montreal are probably my three favorite bands. (along with sigur rós, but post-rock doesn't fall under the heading of "alternative", does it? well i guess it must if you guys are talking about god is an astronaut. either way.) then, i also like... pretty much everything. lately i've been listening to neon indian, dirty projectors, clap your hands say yeah, deerhoof, and liars. tv on the radio, the flaming lips, deerhunter, and nine inch nails are also some all-time favorites of mine.

edit: okay so in watershed's post he mentioned sigur rós so let's just say they're alternative.

also who has heard of columbus ohio's very own "shitgaze" music scene? my friend's been getting me into that stuff. wavves, no age, and times new viking are probably the most famous shitgaze bands. basically it's the coolest thing that's ever come out of this city so it's worth listening to maybe?

Post-rock is definitely under alternative.

The only shoegaze I tend to listen to is My Bloody Valentine.

Also Mogwai guys.

As far as I define indie and alternative; Three Days Grace, Marilyn Manson, Innerpartysystem, Biffy Clyro, Coldplay, Weezer, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Pendulum, Rolo Tomassi, Primus, God Is An Astronaut, Fair to Midland, Beirut, The Frames, Seasick Steve and Outcry Collective.

Which I clearly notified anyone reading the post by saying "As far as I define indie and alternative". I'm not gonna get into an argument with you because no one ever wins arguments over the boundaries of genres.

Back
Top Bottom